Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Problem description: In the last couple days when I turn on my PC, my SSD will attempt to boot to my Windows 10 install but it doesn't successfully boot. The little wheel keeps spinning but never does anything. I fixed this issue once (somehow), but the problem keeps presenting itself.

Attempted fixes: Removed all peripherals except mouse/keyboard/monitor, attempted automatic repair (unsuccessful), attempted inputting bootrec commands in command prompt (unsuccessful), attempted to go back to previous build (unsuccessful), attempted system restore (unsuccessful), etc.

Recent changes: The other night, I removed my GPU (1070 GTX) because I'm trying to sell it. I switched my monitor over to the integrated graphics on my motherboard. This problem never started until after I removed my GPU. I thought I might have knocked my SSD loose while I was messing around inside my case, but I unplugged all the connections and plugged them back in and that didn't fix the issue.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @ 3.40GHz (Socket LGA1150)

Motherboard: ASUS Z97i-PLUS (mITX) (Socket LGA1150)

PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold Modular Power Supply

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) Dual-Channel DDR3 1600

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, so I try every fix I can find, nothing seems to work, then I restart my PC and leave the wheel spinning for several minutes just to see if it'll do anything and it works now :raise:

I don't know why. And this will probably happen again because this exact same thing happened the other day. I tried all these fixes, nothing worked and then suddenly it was able to boot again. That doesn't make sense to me.

Could this be a symptom of failing hardware? CrystalDiskInfo says my SSD is fine...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ema Nymton posted:

Make sure your firmware is up to date. Will Samsung Magician work on your model? http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

I also have a Samsung SSD and some months ago my PC spontaneously decided it wouldn't boot Windows 10. Trying to fix the boot with a bootable Windows 10 USB installer wouldn't help. But I was able to restore a backup clonezilla image, and then things were OK after that. I still don't know why it happened in the first place.

Then 2 months later a big Windows 10 version update failed and failed again. I had to uninstall my video drivers before updating, and then it installed.
Good call on the firmware update! Apparently I was on EXT0CB6Q and it updated to EXT0DB6Q. I think I had Samsung Magician installed ages ago but maybe I've formatted since then? Or uninstalled it or something? Whatever the case may be, it wasn't installed and now it is and my firmware's up to date.

Windows is booting now, buuuuuuuuuut it's taking literally a couple minutes whereas before it took a couple seconds at most. This is not normal at all for an SSD. What gives? I didn't change SATA ports when I unplugged everything/plugged back in, but even if I had, none of them should make it that slow :negative:

• Locked thread