Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Nolan Kasper to win the slalom, book it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

HookShot posted:

You can make an argument for her being the GOAT and she's only 22.

She is great but no way

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ola posted:

Whew, a relief that ultra favorite Shiffrin got that gold. Pretty amazing for us Norwegians as well. We have won a lot in alpine, but that was the first women's olympic alpine medal since 1936 and the first downhill gold ever.

e: hehe, Kjetil said "Aksel, you badass" to the camera.

I remember when Aksel used to tease him about staying up late playing World of Warcraft before races

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Lindsey has also won world cup races in all disciplines.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

HookShot posted:

And the only one Shiffrin is missing is Super G. Vonn was 27 when she got her wins in all disciplines.

Lindsey Vonn had won 6 world cup races at this point in her career.

Shiffrin has 41. She is absolutely incredible in every single way.

Yeah she isn't the GOAT though

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I don’t know much about skiing, but it seems unlikely that Mikaela will make up the .48 seconds AND 3 people in front of her.

She has multiple times

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Teddy just skied out and said the F word

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

From what I've heard the US ski team doesn't have a ton of funding really, at least thats what they say when they are always begging me to donate. I think it's pretty bare bones.

They'll pay for them to go to Chile and NZ in the summer to train but it doesn't really get results. We have a lot of athletes who hang around for years finishing in the 20s and never really improving. I wish they'd spend it at the youth level. The real problem both nations have is a lack of structure getting young kids racing. It's basically a miracle we can ever compete with the swiss and austrians since our talent pool is so much smaller, basically kids from wealthy families willing to send them to ski academies etc.

My state had ski racing at the high school level but the level of competition and coaching we had was pretty poor.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I think another thing is skiing has to compete with hockey up there, I go up to Fernie every winter and the local rink is busy 24/7 it seems like

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I hope Lara Gut wins and wears a MAGA hat on the podium

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Thats why I just follow the ruts. Never lets me down

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Slalom looks so much more impressive when filmed from behind like this. I wish they could get some kind of setup to shoot races this way, I think they were doing it for FIS races for a while at least because I remember a camera almost hitting a racer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRA-XB0nuyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Somehow people always get devastating injuries in the team event, lets hope there aren't any this time

• Locked thread