Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Downhill skiing is the coolest and best sport in the Olympics, summer or winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Bode miller is a good commenter.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

when i become a world famous ski racer i will wait in line like a civilized person

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

HookShot posted:

Men's downhill and women's giant slalom is on today and will likely actually happen.

Women's GS Run 1 starts at 8pm EST.

Men's Downhill begins at 9:30pm EST

Women's GS Run 2 starts at 11:45pm EST

Run 2 will be run in reverse order for the top 30, so the 30th person on course will have been the winner of the first run. The women's GS is, IMO, going to be the most exciting event, as unlike every single other event, doesn't actually have one real favourite, but three solid medal favourites, any of whom could end up on the top step of the podium.

How do you feel about this GS course, you weren’t wild about the diwnhill.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

“I just want to throw it out there, it might be her husband’s fault”

lol bode

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

REAL DOWNHILL HOURS WHO UP

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

This super g course is fun to watch.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

According to the graphic NBC had up before her run she had only done it once, in 2013.

Fourth is not bad the day after winning the GS, she skied well.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Ha that owns.

Serves them right for annointing someone the gold medal winner with a bunch of skiers left.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

It can be such a fluky sport it seems like the more hooks you have in the water the better your chances are, at least if they’re baited like shiffrin’s.

I understand the reasoning behind being fresh for the combined, but it still seems like a tired shiffrin should be a medal threat.

Oh well she probably has two or three more olympics in her, but plenty of world class skiers have missed olympics, nothing saying she won’t do a knee in november 2022 or w/e. The opportunity’s right there, seems like she should take it.

Then again im not an expert professional skier or ski coach so

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

HookShot posted:

Yeah, but hockey is nothing price-wise compared to ski racing.

When I played hockey it was like $700 a year for the coaching for the whole year. Gear was initially around $500 for mostly new equipment, then maybe a couple hundred a year each year for new things as I slowly grew out of them. Maybe $1000 for a few tournaments over the course of the year.

My ski racing fees are $6k for just coaching this year, not including any races, or gear. My race gear, in total, is probably worth about $10k. If you're a kid, and you're going to a ski academy, you're paying for tuition and board on top of that. And races. And summer camps, which if you're going overseas you're looking at another $2-$10k depending on where and for how long. Ski racing is truly a sport for the rich, especially if you're aiming to be good at it. Sure, there are kids who do a two-day-a-week program, go to one race a year, and don't do any summer camps. You're not likely to see them on a world cup podium though.

What is your goal?

Are you trying to be on the world cup circuit, or do you just really like ski racing?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Yeah that's very cool.

Most people don't get to pursue a passion like that. Very neat to someone do it.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

She’s 22 with two golds and a silver in the olympics. She clearly needs to figure her life out.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

This is so dumb its fun.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

With a course this short it seems like variation between red and blue is a huge factor.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Like to the point that if you can win a point on this blue course your team is going to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Weird dude