Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

If anyone has any questions about the sport please ask away. I've been a ski racer for a few years now, I compete in every discipline, and I actually know a handful of the athletes at the games. I've trained with two of them, one of them is from Alberta (competing for Eritrea) so I see him at basically every competition, and I've trained next to a ton of world cup athletes in New Zealand.

Mikaela Shiffrin is seriously the nicest person. She also waits her turn in the lift line, whereas Lindsey Vonn cuts in front of everyone.

edit: and if anyone wants to know what the best ski racing instagram account to follow is, it's hands down @slalomtokyodrift

HookShot fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2018 around 05:43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I should just replace the OP with this honestly

It's the most important metric as to whether or not someone is a gigantic douchebag.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Also I didn't do a writeup about the Alpine Combined because the first run is already over, but there is no loving way Hirscher doesn't win it. Only 1.3 seconds back after the downhill, Pinturault is behind him, not a chance. He'd have to straddle and DNF to lose.

I'm putting Pinturault for silver and Innerhoffer for bronze.

10pm PST (in 5 minutes) to watch the greatest slalom skier in the world destroy a bunch of downhillers.

HookShot fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2018 around 05:55

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Women's Slalom - Run 1 at 9:15pm EST, Run 2 at 12:45am (14th) EST

If you're on the east coast and just want a glimpse at the best female skier in the world right now, tune in to run 1. Shiffrin has bib three, in slalom in the first run the best go first, so the ladies with the first 7 bibs are the 7 best slalom skiers (bibs among them are picked by random draw).

In the second run, the top 30 go in reverse order, so the 30th person to go was the winner of the first run. It makes the end of the race very exciting, and I definitely recommend watching if you're willing/able to stay up that late.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if this is true iĎm bummed as hell. god dammit lindsey

Itís literallt first hand experience, I spent two of the last three summers in NZ at the same time as the US team. Mikaela actually joined me on the tbar one time too instead of always going up with her coach/team which is just so super nice/humble compared to what she could do. No one would blame her for not wanting to go up the tbar with randoms, but she definitely did it constantly.

But yeah Lindsey cut the line every single time. She was nice enough to forerun one of our races though a couple years back.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

When do I get to watch the guy from Fort McMurray, Alberta Eritrea ski poorly?
I'm pretty sure Shannaconda is doing the GS and SL, so the 18th and 22nd local time, so the nights of the 17th and 21st here. I don't know if he's doing the Super G, but he's definitely not doing the downhill.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Also when I say "lift line" I'm talking like 10 people max waiting for a t-bar, all of whom are ski racers and so know what they're doing and aren't going to fall over and need to try again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I swear they must have changed the time because I cannot have been dumb enough to read :45 as :15, but the women's slalom run 1 is now at 8:45pm EST and run 2 is at 11:45pm EST

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The wind is supposed to die out tonight for good, so this should hopefully be the last event postponed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Men's downhill and women's giant slalom is on today and will likely actually happen.

Women's GS Run 1 starts at 8pm EST.

Men's Downhill begins at 9:30pm EST

Women's GS Run 2 starts at 11:45pm EST

Run 2 will be run in reverse order for the top 30, so the 30th person on course will have been the winner of the first run. The women's GS is, IMO, going to be the most exciting event, as unlike every single other event, doesn't actually have one real favourite, but three solid medal favourites, any of whom could end up on the top step of the podium.

HookShot fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2018 around 21:32

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

How do you feel about this GS course, you werenít wild about the diwnhill.

It's actually super good. There's a ton of microterrain that they really would have needed to catch in inspection, that's really catching a few of them out, it's got a good steep section, and some flats. It's everything a good, challenging GS course should be.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jansrud is gonna wanna die when he sees those split times.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I mean, definitely believe it was a joke, Bode knows Veith has missed almost two full years of competition coming back from multiple knee surgeries.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yes.

Tessa lay it down after the major fuckup in run 1, but I doubt itíll be enough.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

She is literally my loving hero. So god drat good. You can make an argument for her being the GOAT and she's only 22.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

And the only one Shiffrin is missing is Super G. Vonn was 27 when she got her wins in all disciplines.

Lindsey Vonn had won 6 world cup races at this point in her career.

Shiffrin has 41. She is absolutely incredible in every single way.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Women's slalom Run 1 - 8pm EST

Men's Super G - 9pm EST

Women's slalom Run 2 - 11:15pm EST

I've got skeleton training tonight so I won't be around at all, and won't be checking this thread until the morning after I get to see the two races.

I'm hoping for/expecting a Shiffrin/Hansdotter/Holdener podium in slalom (Estelle Alphand as the super dark horse medal pick) and Jansrud/Svindal/Reichelt in Super G. That's right, I think the Norwegians can do the double, but swapping around a little.

HookShot fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2018 around 22:41

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Women's Super G begins at 9pm EST

Lindsey Vonn 1
Lara Gut 5
Tina Weirather 7
Nicole Schmidhofer 9
Sofia Goggia 13
Anna Veith 15

Mikaela Shiffrin is not racing the Super G. This is not a surprise and the people out there claiming she could potentially win five Olympic medals are loving idiots. Even Tina Maze, who was an established racer in all five disciplines unlike Shiffrin right now, couldn't manage it at World Champs in the middle of the greatest season in Alpine Skiing history. It's just incredibly tiring, and especially since Mikaela would have expended a ton of mental energy on the days when the races got cancelled (I know it's easy to think that "oh well it got cancelled you never actually did anything why are you tired?" but it's actually mentally completely exhausting and super draining) I'm not the least bit surprised she's not racing.

I'm legit shocked, but I think the change in the schedule hosed her over. Getting mentally ready for your biggest event the day after winning a gold medal in another event that you were one of the favourites in but definitely not the favourite has to be super effing hard.

She said after her win in 2014 that between celebrating, interviews and everything she didn't sleep for over a day after winning that gold. I'm sure she made an effort to actually sleep this time, but it still can't have been easy.

I'm glad we're back to only one race a day now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Women's Super G is delayed two hours (this is the second pushback) so it's now on at 10pm EST. Hopefully. The forecast shows winds at the top should die down a bit in the afternoon, hopefully to low enough that a safe and fair race can happen.

HookShot fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2018 around 02:14

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wyoak posted:

Man the rest of the field gets no respect

Is winning from a late position that rare?

In a word, yes.

In speed events (it's slightly different in tech) the people ranked 1-10 in the world all get to choose the odd-numbered bibs between 1 and 19.

Then, the people ranked 11-20 in the world are all put into a random draw to get the odd numbered bibs between 2 and 20.

The people ranked 20 to 30 are then drawn with those bib numbers, and then it goes in order based on world ranking (ie. bib 31 is the 31st ranked, 32 is 32nd ranked, etc). So when you get back there, it becomes a lot less likely. They're just not as good.

Super G and downhill are basically the only events where you will ever see this sort of thing happen, and it's still actually quite rare, especially for the win. In tech it's almost impossible because it's a two-run race and everything that comes with (getting into your own head, ruts, it just being more technical, that sort of thing). Dustin Cook for Canada came 2nd at World Champs in 2015 from bib 28, Lara Gut came second in a downhill in 2008 from a bib number in the 30s in one of her first world cup (and would have won if she didn't eat it just before the finish line), but I'm actually really hard pressed to remember any other times when it's happened in recent memory. I think Sofia Goggia came from a high bib number to get 4th at World Champs in 2013. But it seriously is so super rare.

Also, in the Olympics especially, the late bib numbers are really not that good. On World Cup, if you're ranked 30th, you're 30th in the world. In the Olympics, if you're ranked 30th, you're probably more like 40th in the world because the Austrians used up their four quota spots but there's another six of them that are better than you but didn't get to come to the Olympics, and same with athletes from a few other countries. Ledecka is actually ranked 43rd in the World Cup rankings in Super G. She would have never had that good a bib number in a world cup race. That makes it even more insane. This is hands down the biggest upset of the Olympics.

HookShot fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2018 around 04:12

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Did they say she's primarily a snowboarder?

She does both - she splits her training up into three week blocks of skiing/three week blocks of snowboarding, and does select competitions in both sports.

It's also not like she just suddenly decided to take up skiing, she's been racing for years and years. Commentators often seem to imply that she just took it up last year.

But yeah she's insanely impressive.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wyoak posted:

Makes sense thanks!

And as I type this apparently number 26 came out and is in first!

Yeah, I edited my post after that to add that it's even more impressive because she's actually ranked 43rd in the world, and only has that low a bib number because some countries couldn't send all their competitors who were better than her because of quota spots.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Basically, inspection is (at WC level) 90 minutes where they get to learn the course. So they go down the track, and they memorize not only where the gates are, but also things like terrain changes, what kind of direction they need to have off jumps and blind rollers (what we call rollers where you can't see the next gate until you're over it), and what line they're going to want to run.

A lot of the time, especially with blind rollers and stuff, you'll go up to one gate, have a look, see where the next gate is, then hike back up the hill and figure out your line from there.

Super G is actually an incredibly hard discipline because there are no training runs, and you're often adapting on the fly because of the speeds you're travelling at - sometimes a roller that you'd be able to absorb while going 90kph you're going to fly off at 100kph, and go 15 meters, so your line coming into the roller and afterwards has to change.

The person going first is at a little bit of a disadvantage, you'll notice that most of the best yesterday tended to pick the odd numbers in the 5-15 range. When you do go first though you have the advantage that the course is perfect and pristine. There are no ruts or holes to worry about yet. So for someone who's confident that they can inspect a course well, it can be a good choice. But yeah, you don't get to see what fuckups the person in front of you made.

At the women's Super G in Russia four years ago something like 6 of the first 10 women DNFed because it was a tricky course, and it took that long for the coaches to get all the info to the racers in the start enough for them all to adjust their lines enough that they made it down to the finish.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Men's GS Run 1 8:15pm EST
Run 2 11:45pm EST

Marcel Hirscher goes for his second gold of the Olympics. I think he'll win it, personally. And frankly, the dude with six crystal globes in a row probably wants to add a bit of slightly different coloured bling to his trophy cabinet.

I'm calling Pinturault second and Manuel Feller third.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there any logical reason why there's no training run in Super G?

The whole point of it is to judge the ability to ski technically (none of the tech events have training runs) at higher speeds - it's actually short for Super Giant Slalom - and being able to adjust on the fly is a huge part of that.

Plus the speeds aren't high enough to really justify it. You'll rarely see a Super G where you break over 110kph.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

110 skiers for Giant Slalom?

110 seems like a lot. Is that a lot?

Not especially; FIS max is 140 and Iíve seen multiple races with that number.

McStabby posted:

I wonder who thought sticking the photographers there was a good idea?

Especially behind an air mattress.

Theyíre also not the normal WC photographers who know how/when to get the gently caress out of the way. You never see this in World Cup because they all scatter as soon as they see someone coming. These guys have no idea.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Luca deAliprandini has said he doesn't think his injury in his crash was serious. Of course, athletes are known morons, so it might not end up being true, but generally ski racers have a pretty good idea if they've blown their knees straight away.

Lindsey Vonn won the first women's downhill training run. Here are where the results will be posted for anyone who wants to keep up with them:

TR Run 1: https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/re...AL&raceid=91466

TR Run 2: https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/re...AL&raceid=91468

TR Run 3: https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/re...AL&raceid=91469

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

In the women's downhill Ramona Siebenhofer is not a bad dark horse pick; she won the training run yesterday but was a PDQ (potential disqualification - meaning she got the fastest time but didn't go around all the gates, which is fine in a training run because it's training, but also can mean that they gained some speed somewhere they wouldn't have normally had because of it) but today is sitting in 3rd, 0.70 back, and she went around all the gates the right way. See if she can do the same on race day.

MikShiff went from 23rd in the first training run to 18th today, if she can get it down to around 10th in tomorrow's training run she'll be a podium threat. At Lake Louise in the training runs she went from 20th to 12th, then 3rd on race 1 and 1st on race 2. She learns ridiculously fast.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Komet posted:

Her form is way different than Vonn though. Hard to see Vonn losing to anyone if she skis cleanly

Shiffrin is technically superior to Vonn (especially when it comes to outside ski pressure, where Vonn often falters, and if anything will cost her the race it'll be that), where Vonn gets her is in pure edge control and feel of the snow, which she does absolutely beautifully, better than anyone else in the world, which is why she's so good at speed, and in risk-taking. Vonn knows exactly where to risk, and how much, and can make that decision on the fly, whereas Shiffrin obviously isn't quite as good at that part of things yet. However, that's also more important in Super G than in downhill. Vonn is also incredible in the air, but so is Shiffrin.

One thing Shiffrin is phenomenal at is her movement in and out of her tuck, which is so smooth and seamless it's hard to believe she's new to speed.

Vonn is one of the best gliders in the world as well, and this track has almost no gliding. I think the track actually does suit Shiffrin's strengths, which are, funnily enough, a lot of Vonn's strengths as well. I don't think it was a coincidence that Shiffrin's first speed podium came at "Lake Lindsey", the two of them have a very similar skillset, really.

Obviously Vonn is more experienced and I think it would take a big mistake from Vonn for Shiffrin to actually beat her on race day, but I absolutely wouldn't count her out of a podium spot.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I watched a handful of the runs from the second training run. Thoughts:

- If Shiffrin can grab her tuck and fix up her jumps on the top section of the course, she's definitely in it with a shot. There were 2-3 around 10-second spots where I think she could make up a LOT of time, and most of her deficit came in that top half. Her bottom half was really good.

- Vonn looks really good as well, and she's definitely not skiing at 100% aggression. Expect her to go faster than she's doing in training on race day.

- This course is allllll about aerodynamics for the women, whereas it was very much a technical course for the men. Whoever has the balls to hold their tuck the longest and the skills to also hold an edge at the same time on race day is going to win. The course is basically tailor-made for all of Vonn's strengths and it really will be a huge upset if she loses.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ola posted:

The schedule has been moved around, so Shiffrin pulled out of the downhill. Is there a reserve who will take her place?

Ugh. So annoying, I would have loved to see Shiffrin do the downhill.

Anyway, the answer to your question is yes. In Alpine events at the Olympics every country is allowed to enter four athletes on competition day, but they're also allowed to enter more in the training runs. Shiffrin and Vonn were the only two Americans who met the "yes you are 100% part of our quota" level so the US Ski Team had to guarantee them both a spot if they wanted it, no matter how badly they skied in the training runs.

There are five other Americans who were doing the training runs, so if Shiffrin has pulled out, three of them will be selected to race instead of two.

It's a fairly common way to do the downhill selection, using the training runs. In 2014, Dominique Gisin, who eventually won the gold medal (along with Tina Maze in a tie) was only actually selected for the Swiss team because of her training run results; she was their very last pick.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

No problem, glad it helps!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shiffrin just finished 0.05 behind Vonn in the last training run after making a huge mistake (and they both missed a gate, but it was literally exactly the same gate so they ran the same course, essentially) and god drat it's an absolute tragedy that the schedule change means Shiffrin isn't racing the DH anymore.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I mean, I can understand her reasoning. If she's finishing top five in the downhill section of the combined literally her only competition will be Michelle Gisin and even there it's not going to be close. Her chances of getting gold are actually almost 100% in the combined right now (assuming she finishes of course), whereas they're not that high in the downhill.

That said, if it were me, I'd do both. Downhill is a one-run event, so you're done by noon, and if you've hosed up then oh well you have an afternoon to recover and get ready for the combined the next day. If you do medal, well it's an extra medal before the combined.

But it's easy for me to say from my couch.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Remember though, she's 22. She's actually insanely, ridiculously young in this sport, and her success to this point allows us to forget things like last year was literally her first year of no longer being a junior racer. Literally no one expected her to be winning speed races at this point. This wasn't supposed to be a decision she was even going to have to make.

It actually also is very difficult to race everything well. Tina Maze was expected to potentially win five gold medals at the World Champs in 2013, and she won 3 medals, I think 2 gold and a silver. By the end you could see she was just abso-loving-lutely spent. She had absolutely nothing left. And that's an athlete who was used to racing every event on World Cup, which Shiffrin definitely isn't.

So yeah, I can understand why Shiffrin isn't doing it. I'd probably make a different decision if it were me, but I'm also not the world's best female skier at the moment. And I'm not feeling the probably pure exhaustion Mikaela is right now, either. She didn't just race the GS and slalom, she also had two days of going up the hill and mentally getting ready for it, then being told that the race was cancelled. Mentally going through that is almost as difficult as actually racing. A handful of the athletes who raced the tech pulled out of the training run today (Veith, Weirather, Brignone didn't start) and I'd bet that's why.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Canada has a few major issues in alpine skiing, a lot of which could be solved with better funding, but not all. Now, all of this information below is stuff that I have heard/been told. I can't vouch 100% for its accuracy, but it's what I've heard.

For one thing, there were actually a couple years there when they had no development team at all. So the four guys who should have been on it basically made their own team, and paid for it all themselves/by their parents. That's seriously super tough, especially in Canada where sponsorship is not an easy thing to get. I actually think it was pretty detrimental to those guys, and while I know one of them was at the games this year I don't think any of the others were (but I can't remember exactly who else was in that group, it was three years ago now). Alpine Canada basically told the provinces that it's up to them to develop the athletes, but in Jack's case, he had 29 points after his first year. He wasn't going to go on BC team, he should have gone straight to devo, but there was no devo team to take him to Europe and race there and develop him. So I know Alpine Canada doesn't really get that much money, but I personally think that situation was not helpful to the development of those athletes.

They also made some decisions with regards to keeping some athletes on over the last few years that I found questionable.

Another problem, which shows itself especially on the women's side, is that a few years back they kicked basically the whole women's speed team. You know in ski cross, Georgia Simmerling, Kelsey Serwa, Marielle Thompson? Yeah, they were all originally CAST, told they weren't going to make it, and dumped. They moved to ski cross and are now superstars of that sport. The problem is, it's really hard to develop a program from nothing. So they had absolutely no female speed skiers, and now they still don't, really. They kicked Larisa Yurkiw off the team after her results weren't what they wanted, she went solo and immediately began hitting the podium in World Cup races. So now there's Valerie Grenier who shows sparks of greatness, but also doesn't really have anyone to train with other than the tech girls, and she's only 22 herself and can't really be expected to be the leader of the team, but there's literally no one left in the entire Canadian program on the women's speed side who can show her the ropes and help her grow.

I also personally think they're trying to shoehorn some athletes into roles they aren't ideally suited to. I know of one athlete that they basically decided should go into the speed program who is much better at slalom than speed, and had one result on WC this year that exemplified that. There's another that I know actually hates speed - or at least did a few years ago, I don't know if she's learned to like it - but was actually terrified every time she had to run a Super G. But they decided she should be a speed skier, and to be fair she is really good at it, and so that's what she's doing now.

That said, there are now some actually pretty good up-and-coming athletes in the program that I think could be podium contenders in a few years. Sam Mulligan won silver at World Juniors in the DH a few weeks ago, Stef Fleck came 13th (IIRC) in on the womens' side and top 20 in the Super G. The Seger brothers are also both really good, and my hope is that in the next five years or so Canada will have some contenders again. On the men's speed side it helps that there actually are some experienced athletes. And the men's tech program is lucky that Erik Read is unsurprisingly a very good skier, though it's again disappointing that he's basically the leader of that team and he's still in college. So Canada is a young team, and hopefully in the next five years or so will be competing for podiums regularly once again.

Also important to note is that on the women's tech side, Marie-Michelle Gagnon, who is a podium contender, tore her ACL in November and isn't competing at all.

I mean really, most of it can come back down to funding. The Americans have soooooooo much more funding for their athletes, and that actually really, really makes a difference. But there were also some managerial decisions that impacted the development program in this country and set it back a looooooong way.

Another thing is that when you go to Europe, you realize it's a god damned miracle that we manage to ever put anyone on the World Cup podium at all. They're insane about their ski racing over there. Absolutely insane. Nor-ams are essentially considered a joke here. You win a nor-am and you're in no way going to do well on WC straight away, you're still going to be so far back. It's all about Europe. They're so good, and they're so serious about their racing, and there's so many racers over there. In Austria, you have to qualify for your zone races. You suck at racing as an eight year old? Oh well, you don't get to race at all. It's a whole different kettle of fish over there, and it's incredible to see.

It sounds like I'm bashing Alpine Canada a whole lot, but there are a lot of people there that care about racing, and there's a lot of super, super amazing coaching talent at the lower levels especially that I've come to know, at the provincial/club level who build up these athletes. It's honestly a shame what happened to the development program here because there is a lot of talent in Canada, it's just hard to get the funding to really take all of them to the same level as the Shiffrins and the Vonns. America has a huge advantage over Canada there, and in Europe it's not even comparable. It's just so huge over there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

From what I've heard the US ski team doesn't have a ton of funding really, at least thats what they say when they are always begging me to donate. I think it's pretty bare bones.

They'll pay for them to go to Chile and NZ in the summer to train but it doesn't really get results. We have a lot of athletes who hang around for years finishing in the 20s and never really improving. I wish they'd spend it at the youth level. The real problem both nations have is a lack of structure getting young kids racing. It's basically a miracle we can ever compete with the swiss and austrians since our talent pool is so much smaller, basically kids from wealthy families willing to send them to ski academies etc.

My state had ski racing at the high school level but the level of competition and coaching we had was pretty poor.

The USA has a ton more sponsorship opportunities though, simply based on sheer size of the economy, and also the fact that alpine skiing is considered a much bigger sport in the US than it is in Canada. I can't speak for their support of young athletes since I have absolutely no idea how it works down there, but the American program is certainly having a lot more success than the Canadian one. River Radamus is going to be amazing soon, and there's those 3 or so tech girls that are really starting to do well, and Alice Merryweather on the women's speed side, as well as all of those guys that are making a splash in men's speed (Biesemayer (RIP), Cochrane-Siegle, Maple, those sorts of dudes. We just don't have that at all in Canada. I'd like to see Robby Kelley get another shot though.

But yeah, America has the same kind of holy poo poo how do we even compete sort of thing as Canada does. The Shiffrins are absolutely loaded (her dad's a heart surgeon) so that really helps. For those who don't know, ski racing is insanely expensive, to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars per year per child. But yeah, how anyone from North America really reaches the peak of the sport is just a huge what when you go to Europe and see what their programs are like.

That said, I think there is something to actually developping athletes. I was talking to a coach from Norway a few years back, he was one of their development team coaches. He told me that basically athletes that were up-and-comers got one race to prove themselves. If they did well, they continued in the program. If they didn't, that was it, dropped. Their talent pool is so deep that they could afford to do that. We definitely don't have that.

High school level racing here sucks too. You need to go into a real club here for good coaching and competitiveness.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yeah, but hockey is nothing price-wise compared to ski racing.

When I played hockey it was like $700 a year for the coaching for the whole year. Gear was initially around $500 for mostly new equipment, then maybe a couple hundred a year each year for new things as I slowly grew out of them. Maybe $1000 for a few tournaments over the course of the year.

My ski racing fees are $6k for just coaching this year, not including any races, or gear. My race gear, in total, is probably worth about $10k. If you're a kid, and you're going to a ski academy, you're paying for tuition and board on top of that. And races. And summer camps, which if you're going overseas you're looking at another $2-$10k depending on where and for how long. Ski racing is truly a sport for the rich, especially if you're aiming to be good at it. Sure, there are kids who do a two-day-a-week program, go to one race a year, and don't do any summer camps. You're not likely to see them on a world cup podium though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Women's Downhill today 9pm EST

This is really Vonn's race to lose. They could not have made more of a course tailor-made to her strengths. Will she go out on a high, or will she crash and burn?

Also remember that if she does win it will piss off a lot of Trump supporters in the process (a month or so ago Lindsey said she wouldn't visit the WH if she won gold and they got super butthurt over it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Seriously, go here and read the comments on any of her recent posts if you want to see what it's like to really not have anything to live for in life: https://www.facebook.com/LindseyVonnUSA/

«2 »