Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

tl;dr Prussian autism caused all 3 wars and Eisenhower should have glassed everything north of Bavaria and Swabia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Seems fine now

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Let's not dwell on our corpse-strewn past and instead celebrate our corpse-strewn future imho

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Conch Shell Corp posted:

tl;dr Prussian autism caused all 3 wars and Eisenhower should have glassed everything north of Bavaria and Swabia.

if anyone should be genocided, some crazy person referring to some weird god called agadir should be first against the wall, imo

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

LordArgh posted:

if anyone should be genocided, some crazy person referring to some weird god called agadir should be first against the wall, imo

sorry hans you dont get to choose who dies anymore

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Conch Shell Corp posted:

Britain, France, and Russia were all content with peace which was the status quo, and developing/exploiting their empires.

I'm on my phone so I'm not trying to flippantly reply to your good post or anything but that's kind of a contradiction in terms imo given how many wars and proxy wars were funded or caused by colonial ambitions.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Let's not dwell on our corpse-strewn past and instead celebrate our corpse-strewn future imho

Edit: this is the last time i am going to post this picture for a while. I dont want to spam it, but goddamn its so useful and i love it so much.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I'm on my phone so I'm not trying to flippantly reply to your good post or anything but that's kind of a contradiction in terms imo given how many wars and proxy wars were funded or caused by colonial ambitions.

That's kind of the reason why Britain sought closer and friendlier relations with France and Russia from the late 19th century, to avoid that poo poo.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

that's why I said exploiting empires/peace in europe. The concert of europe was pretty well established until Germany unified, and even then Bismarck found a place for Germany within it. Outside of europe and americas itwas still a pretty big clusterfuck.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Conch Shell Corp posted:

I'm aware that's how its portrayed in pop history; my degree is in History and the historiography of Germany being bullied by the mean ol' Versailles treaty largely came about as a reason to ally and forgive the West Germans due to the political landscape of the cold war. It's a lot harder to forgive them and let your tax dollars subsidize their existance when you realize that the Germans were just bloodthirsty for another chance to destroy europe (only half joking here)

germany of the 20th century is easily explained by germany of the 19th century sucking so bad. they never got their poo poo together as a nation in time to industrialize and scoop up any good colonies so they became focused on europe. they are the incels of colonialism and it made them bitter at the european chads who got all the hot colonies

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm sure this Japanese woman, 2 decades into 21st century, has personally participated in the Japanese atrocities of the 40s.

Like an average person doesn't and shouldn't care about WW2 too much.

Japan still does things like refuse to acknowledge those atrocities, much less apologise for them. But sure, let's forget it ever happened and not care.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm sure this Japanese woman, 2 decades into 21st century, has personally participated in the Japanese atrocities of the 40s.

Like an average person doesn't and shouldn't care about WW2 too much.

right, so why is she taking personal offense to the implication that people other than her did awful poo poo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

OMGVBFLOL posted:

right, so why is she taking personal offense to the implication that people other than her did awful poo poo

I dunno, beats me. Most people don't like being accused of awful poo poo lol. My brother's exwife was korean, it was pretty funny how mad she got at modern day Japanese.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Rutibex posted:

germany of the 20th century is easily explained by germany of the 19th century sucking so bad. they never got their poo poo together as a nation in time to industrialize and scoop up any good colonies so they became focused on europe. they are the incels of colonialism and it made them bitter at the european chads who got all the hot colonies

Germany didn't need colonies to become rich, and Bismarck knew that. Colonies didn't make you as much money as you'd think, especially in the 19th century. Britain got rich off the fact that the americas and India were markets for their goods they made; Germany already had plenty of willing markets by the time they got their industrialization act together. German colonies were just dick measuring tools, and are most of the reason Britain turned from ally to enemy of Germany.

also the korea vs. japan is the funniest nationalist slapfight; considering how hard they both rode/ride america's dick, you'd think they'd move beyond nationalism pretty quickly.

Conch Shell Corp fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 16, 2018

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

gary oldmans diary posted:

almost a century later theyre still this upset about all that nazi boot they licked

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
like im american but when people point out how horrific and objecticely wrong the genocide of native americans was, (or american imperialism, or slavery, or interventionism, whatever other tremendously inhumane poo poo this country has done) my reaction isn’t to get all huffy and bent out of shape and defensive and start yelling at them about how i didn’t personally do any of that and it was a long time ago and besides their country are jerks too.

but now that i look at it written out i realize that, yeah, a lot of americans do exactly that

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Moridin920 posted:

They weren't just signing pacts and building up armed forces for shits and giggles.

Well Britain's buildup was pretty reactive iirc. Their army was tiny and voluntary until shortly before the war

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Conch Shell Corp posted:

Remind me who the German philosopher was who viewed everyone as an extension of the state? Aside from justifying autocracy and fascusm I remember reading he was a big influence on the US early 20th century progressive movement

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Conch Shell Corp posted:

Germany didn't need colonies to become rich, and Bismarck knew that. Colonies didn't make you as much money as you'd think, especially in the 19th century. Britain got rich off the fact that the americas and India were markets for their goods they made; Germany already had plenty of willing markets by the time they got their industrialization act together. German colonies were just dick measuring tools, and are most of the reason Britain turned from ally to enemy of Germany.

I don't think the German colonies ever really entered that much into reasons the British were worried about Germany. The German naval buildup, also something Bismarck disapproved off incidentally, did much more to irk them. There's also the British historical trend of being opposed to any one country establishing hegemony in Europe, though that didn't kick in fully until the war started.

Speaking of Bismarck have a quote he made about Germans.

quote:

Moral courage is, in any case, a rare virtue in Germany, but it deserts a German completely the moment he puts on a uniform.

e: It should be emphasized that maybe some of the most important reasons for Britain warming up relations with and signing treaties with France and Russia, didn't necessarily have that much to do with Germany (though it would ofcourse be interpreted by the Germans as everyone being out to get them). Towards the shift to the 20th century the British began to see how their empire was both extremely expensive to defend and very vulnerable, particularly after the Boer War, and they basically came to see that one of the best ways to ensure its security (and allow them to spend less on defending it) was to seek closer relations to their primary colonial and imperial rivals, that being France (in Africa) and Russia (in Asia and towards India).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 16, 2018

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

OMGVBFLOL posted:

like im american but when people point out how horrific and objecticely wrong the genocide of native americans was, (or american imperialism, or slavery, or interventionism, whatever other tremendously inhumane poo poo this country has done) my reaction isn’t to get all huffy and bent out of shape and defensive and start yelling at them about how i didn’t personally do any of that and it was a long time ago and besides their country are jerks too.

but now that i look at it written out i realize that, yeah, a lot of americans do exactly that

For better or for worse, nationality is a large part of most people's identity. By attacking a nation as a whole instead of being diplomatic about it and specifying an exact individual/group (and even then, in most cases), you're inviting the ire of a lot of people who might be perfectly reasonable otherwise.

Pissing people off may be fun sometimes but its not conductive to progress.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Colonel Cancer posted:

Beksinski is a fuckin beast.

I don't know, he renders nightmare hellscapes really well - but somehow makes them boring.

It must take real talent to do that.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Randarkman posted:

I don't think the German colonies ever really entered that much into reasons the British were worried about Germany. The German naval buildup, also something Bismarck disapproved off incidentally, did much more to irk them. There's also the British historical trend of being opposed to any one country establishing hegemony in Europe, though that didn't kick in fully until the war started.

Ah, but the colonialism is why the Germans raced the British to build a Capital fleet! With those lovely nowhere colonies all over the rear end end of Africa and Eurasia, you now need to subsidize a fleet that can protect them. And that fleet better not be smaller than Frances! This scared the gently caress out of the UK, who could not afford to have a massive arms race for an upcoming war they really didn’t plan on joining anyways. Germany forcing the UK to play catch-up to the dreadnought spam that was happening soured British opinion of Germany immensely. But now Germany wants a surface fleet to defend the endless hell desert and pile of rocks they managed to claim. This is bad news for the Brits, because now they gotta compete with the biggest industrial power in the world in shipbuilding. To France this news is even worse. France couldn't compete with a proper German army, let alone navy; and Germany was assembling the most powerful army of all time.

France/Russia and Germany/A-H were the sides set in stone for the inevitable clash. Poor German policy (Imperialism, desire for a surface fleet, etc.) forced Britain into the Franco-Russian sphere. WW1 was lost for the Germans before it even began due to poor diplomacy.

Conch Shell Corp fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
http://www.jewishpress.com/news/jewish-news/holocaust/poland-to-freeze-law-returning-stolen-property-to-jewish-survivors/2018/02/15/
welp

• Locked thread