Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Willie Tomg posted:

i'm sorry, i should clarify. is there a positive reason to play this over another entry in the genre? subnautica is kind of my jam right now for that lonely-survival-in-a-hostile-clime feeling, but this game could be better, i don't know which is why i'm asking!

Willie Tomg posted:

That's a weird phobia to have in a discussion forum. People should feel free to discuss things they like/are enthusiastic for, and the reasons for that enthusiasm, beyond merely signaling brand engagement behind a screen name on a paywalled forum.

Lemme knock these both out:

The reason why I’m a bit enthused re: MGSurvive is relatively simple. I learned to enjoy trudging along the landscape hoping to survive better, bludgeoning passing animals at first before realizing that I could just fist them and then wormhole the body for harvest, and with an atmosphere that-while replicated several times before- feels cozy.

Is it perfect? gently caress no. The AI needs to chillax when i’m stuck at sub-optimal hunger/thirst, it’s slower to boil water, and it’s real easy to get lost in the Dust. That said, MGSurvive is still a game I enjoy beyond small faults. Hell, if feels more optimized than Early Access Survival In Bumfuck Nowhere.

I will also point out that I do want to do more Subnautica on PC. And speaking of, if MGSurvive eventually adds a more casual game setting that eliminates Hunger/Thirst (like Subnautica), I would absolutely be more enthusiastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Reasons why somebody might like this game:

- FOX engine is well made, with tight controls and graphics. Surprisingly decent melee combat against the hordes, ranged combat is already good from previous games.

- Modern military theme, contrasted with mad max-y wasteland and resource gathering + zombie-ish hordes, an interesting combination of styles to draw from.

- Base building and avatar customization is always enjoyable.

- Multiplayer base defense has a good gameplay loop, nice variety of tools and ways to defend.

- Early missions of heading into Dust, you start seeing this huge-rear end kaiju so big you can't even tell the full size of it due to fog effects, genuinely spooky.

- And while this isn't a true MGS game or being made by the same people, it has enough carried-over quirks and callbacks to add a bit for those who appreciate that kind of thing. Like it's almost a very high-quality fangame.

This is just early game stuff, so I don't know how these points are built upon/totally fall down as things proceed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can I raid/attack other people's bases in this game or is it just a PvE experience?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Purely PvE, with some caveats.

You can gently caress around in the Staging Area with infinite everything.

That said, what's the over-under on Konami noticing Fortnite doing well post-Battle Royale adding and subsequently making their own PvP thing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Got my copy a day early, so I've been playing all evening. Loving the exploration, but food is scarce as hell. Nothing seems to respawn, so once you eat something, it's gone. Not being able to make purified water at the start seems like a huge oversight as well.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Animals respawn but I haven't figured out what causes it. It may be based on hours rather than missions, and I'm not sure if it's real time or game time

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Be advised, sprinting supposedly increases the rate hunger and thirst go up, some basic testing seems to support this

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Far as I've heard everything respawns every situation update but not sure. Waiting on Steam launch.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Got my copy a day early, so I've been playing all evening. Loving the exploration, but food is scarce as hell. Nothing seems to respawn, so once you eat something, it's gone. Not being able to make purified water at the start seems like a huge oversight as well.

If you take all the water out of a pond it can dry up and animals stop spawning near it, no idea yet if it fills up again

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah, seems to require time for stuff to respawn. Not sure if it's real time or just game time, but they really push you to keep furthering the story before you can stabilize with water and food. If you're having a real hard time the revival pills will fill your hunger and thirst when you use em and you start with a lot of medicine that can offset all the dirty water you might need to drink. I had to for sure.

Speaking of which, I triggered the recipe for more revival pills off finding a Bear Gall Bladder. You need 4 separate blue drops from 4 separate rare animals to make 3. There's a 2nd recipe as well where you use 30 Kitchen Waste and 260k Kuban energy. Have no idea what that's from though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PBnJamo posted:

Yeah, seems to require time for stuff to respawn. Not sure if it's real time or just game time, but they really push you to keep furthering the story before you can stabilize with water and food. If you're having a real hard time the revival pills will fill your hunger and thirst when you use em and you start with a lot of medicine that can offset all the dirty water you might need to drink. I had to for sure.

Speaking of which, I triggered the recipe for more revival pills off finding a Bear Gall Bladder. You need 4 separate blue drops from 4 separate rare animals to make 3. There's a 2nd recipe as well where you use 30 Kitchen Waste and 260k Kuban energy. Have no idea what that's from though.

I'm now just imagining someone going "USE ANIMAL ANUS TO MAKE ANALEPTIC PILL THAT MAKES YOU NOT DEAD"

gently caress I need to get on furthering the story. But I got stuck at trying to fend off the first wormhole generator.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

widespread posted:

I'm now just imagining someone going "USE ANIMAL ANUS TO MAKE ANALEPTIC PILL THAT MAKES YOU NOT DEAD"

gently caress I need to get on furthering the story. But I got stuck at trying to fend off the first wormhole generator.

Same. Apparently it's possible to use the CQC counter skill to just endlessly slam wanderers into the ground, but I'm thinking building fences around the generator itself and tossing molotovs at the horde may work.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
There a discord for playing co-op when this launches shortly?

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

widespread posted:

It doesnt take long so you can put a couple walls in the alley off to the side and focus on keeping them from coming thru the front

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Cuntpunch posted:

There a discord for playing co-op when this launches shortly?

If somebody posts a link or whatever I will add it to the op

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Laffo, 24 hour delay that started only 10 minutes after it was supposed to unlock. Prime Konami.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Steam posted:

Will unlock in approximately 23 hours.

(Insert your favorite MGS quote about pain or loss in here.)

Fake edit: Metal Gear Survive has outright vanished out of the Steam store.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Same. Apparently it's possible to use the CQC counter skill to just endlessly slam wanderers into the ground, but I'm thinking building fences around the generator itself and tossing molotovs at the horde may work.

You ever try that one grab maneuver that achieves the same effect as CQC Counter without the timing portion? Or did they change it so that the grab throw doesn't work as well as CQC Counter.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Played like a drat fiddle.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Cuntpunch posted:

Laffo, 24 hour delay that started only 10 minutes after it was supposed to unlock. Prime Konami.

The psn launch was totally botched too lol, the game couodnt start because it needed a patch so they rushed out a patch that reversed the order of the sentences informing you that you cant play the game

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

My running guess on this is that they hosed up something with the launch window, but since steam won't let you push it back by an hour they've moved it back by a day in order to avoid the game getting review bombed into loving oblivion by people who bought the game and can't play.

How you can gently caress up on a pre-loaded steam game is beyond me, however.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Buccaneer posted:

If somebody posts a link or whatever I will add it to the op

https://discord.gg/AxngTcT

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://twitter.com/Konami/status/966469677076561920

I miss Firefox's SALR.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 22, 2018

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

widespread posted:

You ever try that one grab maneuver that achieves the same effect as CQC Counter without the timing portion? Or did they change it so that the grab throw doesn't work as well as CQC Counter.

Yeah, you got it I think. Was messing around with it and if you just grab and throw, they are still standing. If you do the counter right they eat dirt. Thing is, the throw will knock down other zombies. I've honestly just been mashing R2 to get this neat melee combo thing that knocks em around.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Trip report: Pretty cool, fairly hard. Could have sworn unlocking outfit colors took a bunch of materials but so far it's only been kuban and they unlock one row at a time so that's nice. Drinking tons of dirty water with no problems so far but it will be nice finally getting that pot.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This game makes so much more sense in a solo campaign.

The water thing is kind of baffling at first but you have some antibiotics or antidote or whatever the gently caress you need to counteract the galloping shits if you drink too much dirty water in one go. I think as long as you space it out (especially once you find a canteen - double the empty bottle capacity) you can stay under the threshold for sickness while staying hydrated. FUCKEN SURVIVAL MAN!

Still, can't wait to find the advanced camp fire so I can purify water.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Seems like the animals at the first watering hole respawn when you quit out and restart the game. I haven't tested it properly, but they were there when I started playing again and other people are backing it up so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The blue hunting locations seem to respawn every couple of missions though, since I got to the helicopter crash mission and a couple of the ones I cleared out earlier suddenly reappeared.

Also, I tried using molotovs and fences around the wormhole generator and it worked like a charm. The fact that the wanderers have a tendency to swarm works against them when you set them on fire and put a barricade in their way. It looks like it catches from other enemies as well, which is good. I don't doubt it'll be obsolete before long, but starting off, it's a solid strategy if you're likely to be facing a ton of the bastards at once.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seems like the animals at the first watering hole respawn when you quit out and restart the game. I haven't tested it properly, but they were there when I started playing again and other people are backing it up so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The blue hunting locations seem to respawn every couple of missions though, since I got to the helicopter crash mission and a couple of the ones I cleared out earlier suddenly reappeared.

Also, I tried using molotovs and fences around the wormhole generator and it worked like a charm. The fact that the wanderers have a tendency to swarm works against them when you set them on fire and put a barricade in their way. It looks like it catches from other enemies as well, which is good. I don't doubt it'll be obsolete before long, but starting off, it's a solid strategy if you're likely to be facing a ton of the bastards at once.
Yes, molotvs are EXCELLENT. Any time there is a pit with many zombies that I need to cross (like that mission) molotovs make fast and cheap work of them all.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Game is good. Just get past mission 7 so you don't have to worry about water anymore. Also, hunting and getting food gets a lot easier too. There's a pretty big base building mechanic in the game and you will soon be able to grow potatoes, corn, onions, etc. in addition to capture/milk/mine poo poo off of livestock.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Don't waste time skinning every single zombie early on. The reward is not really worth it.

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012
I'm curious as to whether there's any significance to the fact that there are Diamond Dog emblems all over that Mother Base tower at base camp rather than MSF, not exactly expecting much in terms of plot here but it feels like that should be important (or an oversight, that's equally likely I suppose).

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Fneeb posted:

I'm curious as to whether there's any significance to the fact that there are Diamond Dog emblems all over that Mother Base tower at base camp rather than MSF, not exactly expecting much in terms of plot here but it feels like that should be important (or an oversight, that's equally likely I suppose).

That looked like a Dead Dogs emblem to me. Whatever that means.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I have a theory as to what that might mean (mission 6 spoilers) you rescue a nurse who talks about an incident involving a hospital on fire that sounds a hell of a lot like the beginning of TPP, which occurs nine years after the destruction of Mother Base. I'm thinking there's some Weird Time Bullshit happening here somehow.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I want someone to mod in Kojima's head model from 5 into this.
I wish they wouldn't baby you so much with the tutorials. You get to play MP after a bunch of missions. You have to play with randos until you finish slightly later story mission, finishing that one let's you group with friends.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I have a theory as to what that might mean (mission 6 spoilers) you rescue a nurse who talks about an incident involving a hospital on fire that sounds a hell of a lot like the beginning of TPP, which occurs nine years after the destruction of Mother Base. I'm thinking there's some Weird Time Bullshit happening here somehow.
Supporting that, you're told that the heli that crashes is XOF.

Doesn't seem to talk though :(

Caros
May 14, 2008

There is, in fact, weird time bullshit happening.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Has anyone found corn in game? A few guides are just saying due east from base camp, but I'm not finding anything unique. Well, except this slingshot which I'm not sure what the purpose is.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I'm just gonna go out on a real wild limb here and say it's probably nanomachines

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

PBnJamo posted:

Has anyone found corn in game? A few guides are just saying due east from base camp, but I'm not finding anything unique. Well, except this slingshot which I'm not sure what the purpose is.
The only use I've found for the slingshot is as a noisemaker :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game is fun as hell. Boy do I wish these robots would stop interrupting me so often though. Like, I don't need you to tell me every time I have less than 50% food. I am aware. It's directly in the middle of my screen at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Watch your stamina though

• Locked thread