Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Where do you get the manned mg recipe? I’m in the post game and still haven’t found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

net cafe scandal posted:

Every single "person" posting in this thread is a bot.

Metal Gear Solid 2 predicted this

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

If I want to loot something that's not at the top of the loot list is there any way to scroll through the loot or do I have to do everything in order? For example getting my arrows back from a body, I don't want to loot the energy I just want to grab my arrows back, or if there's some stuff in a stockpile I don't want to pick up, etc. I can't seem to figure out a way to do it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TwoDice posted:

Where do you get the manned mg recipe? I’m in the post game and still haven’t found it.
I think I got mine in the loot box where you fought those laser birds for the first time.

I broke three statues in the last map and got nothing from them.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 25, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I made a short video for my youtube channel that summarizes my thoughts on Survive if anyone here feels like watching it. I put a lot of effort into it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcQ4mZ1HSM

I tried to be as objective as I could and keep my opinion out of it till the end because I don't like it when game reviewers equate their poor experience with the game being bad. I really like Survive a lot but it has a number of critical flaws that I think could be fixed without much effort.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Great vid there CJacobs, I'll definitely forward that to the folk I know who're interested in this game over that atrocious Jim Sterling video.

Just got a good build and flow going for me to keep going at Hard co-op scavenger missions and I'm having a loving blast. It's great how you need to keep your defences running like clockwork for even a chance at S-ranking these.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

I too have been having a hard time articulating why exactly I like Survive so much. The gameplay loop early on is incredibly punishing, and it does a poor job of explaining things that can make those first 2 to 4 hours easier on yourself. But now that I'm almost done with the single-player story and am getting into a more enjoyable depth with the co-op, I'm having a blast.

It's not a game I'd recommend right now, but it is one I've been defending as enjoyable; so long as it's something you'd already be into. I'm certainly excited to see where it will go, and what kind of content updates we might get in the next few months. I also can't wait to get to the other classes once I get the Survivor class done, as that's where I think the late game will really shine.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

That's reassuring to hear, cheers. Is there PP level of loving about with base personnel, or is it more linear than that?

Pretty much TPP/PW with a couple wrinkles. you can change their name. Yes, you can make everyone Dongs or Goku. Their life is actually a stat, and too many injuries/illnesses can kill them. Everyone has an employment history that hints what they would be best at. Their overall performance over time is measured on a graph and marks job changes so you can deduce what jobs are best suited. There are a lot of little intricacies

Oh, and they wear different clothes too. Mr. Business suit has no problems farming, however.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Plants can grow anywhere.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

FauxLeather posted:

Plants can grow anywhere.

I'd really appreciate it if you grew faster.

(I thought they were talking about me at first)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

geeko55 posted:

I too have been having a hard time articulating why exactly I like Survive so much. The gameplay loop early on is incredibly punishing, and it does a poor job of explaining things that can make those first 2 to 4 hours easier on yourself. But now that I'm almost done with the single-player story and am getting into a more enjoyable depth with the co-op, I'm having a blast.

It's not a game I'd recommend right now, but it is one I've been defending as enjoyable; so long as it's something you'd already be into. I'm certainly excited to see where it will go, and what kind of content updates we might get in the next few months. I also can't wait to get to the other classes once I get the Survivor class done, as that's where I think the late game will really shine.

Metal Gear Survive: Strangely Enjoyable Once I Get Into It.

Here's hoping the March update (or at least the co-op update planned in March) makes it a bit more palatable. Or maybe there'll be a few patches between? I dunno. Game as a whole is strangely enjoyable.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mom has been rather quiet on the amount of weight I can carry and the meter sometimes doesn't show up until it hits 110%. Mom also tells me about my supply of oxygen at 5% instead of 10, or is quiet altogether on it. Considering how your character suddenly makes horrible noises when he hits 20% oxygen and then mom tells you to craft more air, it feels easier to ignore it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Mom has been rather quiet on the amount of weight I can carry and the meter sometimes doesn't show up until it hits 110%. Mom also tells me about my supply of oxygen at 5% instead of 10, or is quiet altogether on it. Considering how your character suddenly makes horrible noises when he hits 20% oxygen and then mom tells you to craft more air, it feels easier to ignore it.

She gets less and less verbose as you level up, I think.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

uh what do i need to do to expand my base, it just beeps at me and these areas are flashing red but i can't actually destroy the things in the way?

oh i figured it out, didn't expect the deconstruct thing to uh work outside the base

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 25, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tip from Facepunch regarding being unable to turn dirty water canteens into clean ones: Discarding a dirty water canteen from your inventory gets rid of the water but keeps the canteen, which you can then use for clean water. Guess that works as a temporary solution to not being able to use them otherwise.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can destroy everything on the map.
I chuckled at having the same problem. It looked bleak and appropriate to leave them there.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Tip from Facepunch regarding being unable to turn dirty water canteens into clean ones: Discarding a dirty water canteen from your inventory gets rid of the water but keeps the canteen, which you can then use for clean water. Guess that works as a temporary solution to not being able to use them otherwise.

poo poo, and here I was prioritizing Dirty Canteens for thirst.

Haven't got cholera from that yet, but good to know it's safe to use Discard instead of Use.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thinking about it, despite the very basic mission structure of the game it has very effective survival elements. Specifically, it is great at hitting the knife's edge of you having just enough resources to complete a mission, but never enough to make it easy. The general lack of ammo means that you are reliant on a bow for ranged damage, and melee can mean eating a lot of hits if you mess up. It's a good balance.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what causes MomBot to say things or not but I was pretty glad when she started cutting back on things. Of course now I have things reset so she nags like crazy again.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think I got mine in the loot box where you fought those laser birds for the first time.

I broke three statues in the last map and got nothing from them.

Transporter 7? I looted the box there and didn't find it.

edit: found it southwest of TP10 just inside the dust zone

TwoDice fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 25, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Quicksilver6 posted:

Pretty much TPP/PW with a couple wrinkles. you can change their name. Yes, you can make everyone Dongs or Goku. Their life is actually a stat, and too many injuries/illnesses can kill them. Everyone has an employment history that hints what they would be best at. Their overall performance over time is measured on a graph and marks job changes so you can deduce what jobs are best suited. There are a lot of little intricacies

Oh, and they wear different clothes too. Mr. Business suit has no problems farming, however.

Oh my god

Sold.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Is there gold loot in the game? I just got my first Hard S-rank and none of the prize boxes were gold, despite it saying there will be one on the mission selector.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wtf why do people hate this game it's so much fun?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Quicksilver6 posted:

Speaking of this, has anyone seen how to determine which job is best for a person other than randomly switching them around until the tooltip says they will be competent at it?

Caros
May 14, 2008

FauxLeather posted:

Is there gold loot in the game? I just got my first Hard S-rank and none of the prize boxes were gold, despite it saying there will be one on the mission selector.

It seems that the listed options there are 'chance to get loot'.

So far the only one I've seen is a gold Geist pistol.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Speaking of this, has anyone seen how to determine which job is best for a person other than randomly switching them around until the tooltip says they will be competent at it?

Unfortunately, I am just waiting on the AI to fully analyze these previously unconscious Dust-covered people. I think that's how you find out what to put them towards?

Alternatively, just have everyone make potatoes. And corn when you finally find some.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i figure if people like their jobs their little mood chart will go up

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

This is going to be one of those games that people slowly migrate back to as word of mouth gets around. It is incredibly bizarre though. People I have never interacted with before message me on steam expressing their condolences over my awful taste in video games. People are actually taking time out of their day to personally reprimand others for what they are doing; it goes well beyond response on a public forum. It's down right strange how invested some people are in discouraging this game, when it's turning out to be just about the sort of game I had been itching for but didn't know it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

People hate this game because they fired kojima and made MGS into a zombie shooter.

I mean, it's a *good* zombie shooter, but Christ folks you were all around when Survive was announced.

E. Also collecting resources on the map is for scrubs, just run salvage missions. Even if you get completely wrecked you still keep the resources you gathered.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

Caros posted:

It seems that the listed options there are 'chance to get loot'.

So far the only one I've seen is a gold Geist pistol.

Just from looking around a bit, that Geist pistol might be the only gold equipment in the game right now. Crew manuals are considered gold for purposes of base digging rewards however.

Edit: Of course as soon as I say that someone modded the post game bosses to drop more lootboxes which shows a whole complement of armor and weapons. That Geist seems to be the only thing in coop at the moment. Gold shotgun from one of the base digs.

PBnJamo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 25, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

PBnJamo posted:

Just from looking around a bit, that Geist pistol might be the only gold equipment in the game right now. Crew manuals are considered gold for purposes of base digging rewards however.

Certainly possible. It sort of baffles me that they don't have even purple equivalents to a lot of weapons. I haven't seen a purple bow, for example, and at this point I'm fairly convinced it doesn't exist.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Where in this damned and blighted hellscape can I find tomatoes?!

I have a garden to grow, drat it!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Quicksilver6 posted:

Where in this damned and blighted hellscape can I find tomatoes?!

I have a garden to grow, drat it!

At least you have corn. And possibly milk.

I'm here with just potatoes and making Slightly Warmer Potatoes for my own benefit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The moment-to-moment gameplay looks like poo poo but the post-game bosses look legit fun to fight. Konami should have just built off what they did in Peace Walker and just made a metal gear monster hunter game, probably would have been a lot better than this.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

I made a short video for my youtube channel that summarizes my thoughts on Survive if anyone here feels like watching it. I put a lot of effort into it!

I tried to be as objective as I could and keep my opinion out of it till the end because I don't like it when game reviewers equate their poor experience with the game being bad. I really like Survive a lot but it has a number of critical flaws that I think could be fixed without much effort.

Does Konami tend to fix problems post-release? Square-Enix and other japanese developers come to mind when I think of games that are launched and never given any gameplay tweaks or content support afterwards.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

buglord posted:

Does Konami tend to fix problems post-release? Square-Enix and other japanese developers come to mind when I think of games that are launched and never given any gameplay tweaks or content support afterwards.

They have already announced that they're adding in some stuff like a new coop mode post launch, so it seems like there will be a non zero amount of support. On the other hand Konami doesn't really make video games anymore so who knows.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Worth mentioning again and forever: If you sate your hunger/thirst to 100%, it'll stop going down for like five minutes at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Det_no posted:

Worth mentioning again and forever: If you sate your hunger/thirst to 100%, it'll stop going down for like five minutes at least.

That's one of the things I'm speaking of when I say the game over-tutorializes stuff that's already obvious while not telling you things that are actually really important. It's just bizarre.

buglord posted:

They did do a bunch of rebalancing for things like material gains etc for MGS5 so there is precedent for fixing complaints about how slow-moving things can be. Also, the login message says they will fix balance/bugs but no indication if they mean the game overall or just in the MP.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Turtlicious posted:

I think a lot of it is just sheer point of principle by this point. The moment it was announced, people decried that Metal Gear was dead and Konami was now raping its corpse. I talked about this game elsewhere with other people, both online and off, and was told repeatedly that I was everything that's wrong with gaming today and that I didn't 'deserve' to play good games ever again. And that's just the folks I spoke to in person.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Konami are suddenly a good company these days, the disdain they've shown for their fanbase and their creatives is astounding and is going to take years to earn back. But stuff like the Jimpressions video on the game was just shambolic. Any site giving the game a decent review is being accused of shilling for Konami or lying for clicks, and the bad reviews mostly seem to be rehashing the same old of 'Konami is Satan, we need to take a moral stance about this also the game itself isn't too bad JUSTICE FOR KOJIMA!'

It's typical vidya gaem bullshit, but it still disappoints me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does anyone know if in Co Op the resources pool is shared or each person gets a copy of each material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

konami has been putting out metal gear games without kojima for 30 years

• Locked thread