Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

widespread posted:

You know what the OP needs?

Something that says "make drill go fast for s rank" or similar.

This, holy gently caress. I thought it was something to do with the damage the drill was taking, but after I aced it I still couldn't get better than a B. Was so drat confused.

Buccaneer posted:

You dont have to gather stuff

This is super true.

For maybe the first game or two you might want to smash some barrels or something to grab some iron for upgrades. After that, though, just finishing a mission showers you with materials, so I don't even bother. Short of grabbing some easy stashes on the run through, I don't even bother collecting stuff.

Honestly, it isn't any worse than collecting herbs and resources for mgs V, at least for the beta.

That said, I am really cautiously optimistic. The campaign mode actually looks good, they brought back codec, and even the cut scenes have a very mgs1 feel to them, which is neat.

Add that to the fact that the general gameplay is more or less the same as mgs V, and I'm kind of onboard.

Honestly, I'd Kojima hadn't gotten hosed over, and just decided to make this game, I have a feeling people would be pretty drat hype for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

widespread posted:

So uh.. is there really any other beta skill I should take? I got CQC Counter (might not be worth it to be quite honest), Quick Hands, that one that lets you grab the enemy and shove said enemy to one side, and I forgot what else. I just know I sunk a point into STR, AGI, and VIT.

Also as it turns out I managed to get worse despite picking up how to drop fences and other goodies. Died on the second wave twice of the easy mission via what I assume is overextending and jumping into the fray too often.

Also also, if the non drill missions still involve doing something useful with 5k Kuban Cigarillos, I'd recommend just using the five minutes you get to get 5k Kuban Cigarillos. It's five clusters or 10 kills or some combo.

From the other metal gear thread.

First off, for people who didn't get to see it, here is a re-host of the campaign footage. It's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPHeWXAlZDM

Secondly, for those who are on the fence, I've got a few tips:

Mission One tips

Don't listen to the title - You are unlikely to win your first deployment. The start of the second wave throws five bombers at you right at the get go, enemies you aren't really equipped to kill if you don't know what you're doing. That is fine. Even if your digger gets destroyed, you still get your rewards, unless you yourself die. For your first few times, don't necessarily worry about trying to win so much as figuring out patterns etc. If possible, try and kill about 10 enemies/grab some kuban crystals so that you can speed up the drill right out of the gate. This can get you as high as a b ranking if you pay attention to it.

Ammo Resupply is your friend - After one or two 'successful' missions at C rank or above you should be given an automatic weapon and a shotgun. All of your weapons get filled when you use an ammo resupply, which means if you carry a handgun, shotgun and rifle, you've got 21, 10, and 90 rounds respectively, before adding any ammo pouches. Say goodbye to your ammo problems for that mission. One sad note, however, is the resupply does not carry over, all extra ammo is dropped out of your inventory at the end of the stage (I think back to what you started with) so it isn't a long term solution.

Surviving wave 2 - Now that you've got bullets galore, you can take on wave 2 with ease, even if you lose a bunch of health to the explosion fest at the start. Make sure you reengage the drill if it takes a bunch of hits. Other than that, shoot a bunch of zombies in the head. If you survive this wave you should make it to the end.

Wave 3 - Walker gear resupply. Even in solo campaign you get two of these, and so long as you don't suck at shooting the stage will be over before you run out of ammo. Don't forget to take both during the break.

Enemy tips

Bomber - Three ways to kill these guys. Body shots will do it but you'll have to put a decent number of shots into them to kill them that way. Don't shoot the 'head' as it is super armored. Secondly, you can circle around them and unload on the weak spot on their back. One shotgun shot, a few rifle shots and one or two pistol shots will do the job. Third way, is to do the running clothesline. If you hit them with this, they get stunned for about two seconds, during which you can circle around them. The timing is a bit weird, because the stun lasts longer than it takes you to get into position, but once you do, you can 'stealth kill' them instantly. Bombers will explode on target, or if they are killed by anything but the destruction of their weak spot, so keep that in mind. Sometimes better to blow their legs off if they are in a crowd.

Armored - These guys are a bitch. Grenades do the job to some extent, as does machine gun fire, but most of your handheld weapons are not great. A few strong shots to the head will pop their helmet, at which point they are easy to kill.

Detonator - These ones only show up in tier two missions. When they spot you they start to suicide bomb. You want to stop them, usually by stealth killing them. If you succeed, they drop some pretty good materials, up to and including ammo boxes that fill your entire inventory.

Jumping type - I haven't come across these guys enough to make a comment so far, sadly.

General tips

Drill - Make sure it is running at all times. The max rank you can get without doing so is Rank B. Also, you can restart it whenever you want, so don't feel the need to dick around looking for something to do between rounds if you don't have to.

Walker Gear - Don't forget your kick. The walker gear kick instant kills any wanderer I've come across, including armored and bombers.

Wormhole - Set a point and return there for free. Useful for jumping back to the base if you get super far out for some reason. Also useful to make sure you get a walker gear in multiplayer, because you can leave your wormhole next to their spawn point well before they spawn.

Healing items - The game doesn't do a great job of telling you this, but if you get hit, you can gain mgs3-esque injuries. To heal them, open your idroid and tap to the right. It'll highlight the injury and you can use the appropriate healing item to fix this. Took me ages to figure this one out.

Upgrades - You get 15 total upgrades for the beta. I recommend picking a weapon and sticking to it, I'm a fan of the spear myself. Ignore the 'stomp' ability, it sucks. One 'must have' ability is the quick move ability. It costs some stamina, but the combat system is designed around the idea that you have this ability. This way, if you see a zombie attacking, you can actually get out of his way. The melee feels a million times better once you have this.

Item Upgrades - After one or two missions you should have enough materials to upgrade your gear. Make sure you 5 star all your gear, and add the option parts which give you extra ammo. The ammo resupply combined with say, the rifle pouches, means you get a total of 390 rounds with each resupply, which is just hilarious at that point.

Final thoughts

Honestly, the game looks really good. It is a tad shallow right now, but as far as I can tell, that is just because we're in the beta. The feel of the campaign material presented so far feels very MGS, and the overall game mechanics are pretty fun. About my only complaint/request is that I'm hoping the campaign/other mission types lean a little bit more into the stealth aspects, as right now it is a bit too action heavy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

the menu setup for this game is nightmarish. bombers have a giant glowing red anus weakpoint on their back. i have no idea how to get more drinkable water. this is what i have learned from playing the beta of metal gear survive today.

If you have empty bottles, there outpost you start the game on normal has a ton of water. I imagine in the full game it'll be easy to come by.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Buccaneer posted:

You dont really need food, water or medical supplies in multiplayer

It helps a little on the hard mission, since you'll get down to about 60% stamina by the end if you don't drink. But yeah, not really.

Caros
May 14, 2008

widespread posted:

Wait, the gently caress, YOU CAN CARRY OBSCENE AMOUNTS OF BULLET?!

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

It really does.

I have a feeling that the main game is going to have some bitching melee options, but just the option to use your guns more often makes the game considerably more fun.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Quicksilver6 posted:

Extra points for stealth kills, also cool pew pew noises

I suspect there are going to be actual stealth missions in the main game as well.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Weird that steam says the 21st, but everywhere else is saying the 20th. I am annoyed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

Laffo, 24 hour delay that started only 10 minutes after it was supposed to unlock. Prime Konami.

My running guess on this is that they hosed up something with the launch window, but since steam won't let you push it back by an hour they've moved it back by a day in order to avoid the game getting review bombed into loving oblivion by people who bought the game and can't play.

How you can gently caress up on a pre-loaded steam game is beyond me, however.

Caros
May 14, 2008

There is, in fact, weird time bullshit happening.

Caros
May 14, 2008

FauxLeather posted:

Is there gold loot in the game? I just got my first Hard S-rank and none of the prize boxes were gold, despite it saying there will be one on the mission selector.

It seems that the listed options there are 'chance to get loot'.

So far the only one I've seen is a gold Geist pistol.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PBnJamo posted:

Just from looking around a bit, that Geist pistol might be the only gold equipment in the game right now. Crew manuals are considered gold for purposes of base digging rewards however.

Certainly possible. It sort of baffles me that they don't have even purple equivalents to a lot of weapons. I haven't seen a purple bow, for example, and at this point I'm fairly convinced it doesn't exist.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My legendary chest piece won't let me put pouches in it :(

E. As in it has slots, but gives an error sound when I try to fill them

It is a straight up bug on some legendary chest pieces, unfortunately.

Might be patched tonight though as I saw an update as I left to go to bed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PBnJamo posted:

That patch just now jacked up the difficulty for hard coop missions. Supposedly, the points required to hit S require you have to have the digger going overdrive and you need the support digger both going at the same time to hit S rank during the 3rd wave. Then the rewards got nerfed to give out less pink items. The patch notes also mention the shotguns got hit a bit, but they seem to just be weaker at longer ranges now, was fine for a base defense I just did.

Base dig rewards, past the initial clear which gives some base recipes, seem to be all about the crew improvement manuals. You can see that the orange epic items that post game bosses require higher ranked teams and weapon dev buildings. Of course, there's no way to get them right now and i'm not even sure where to find the required kits for pink item upgrades even.

The big shotgun nerf is to carried ammo. Pre-patch I could carry 208 shells, now I carry 80, which is the difference between a single reload carrying me through a hard mission or not.

Caros
May 14, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Cheers for that. Was a bit concerned.

If I handled securing The Weapon first time, will I be ready for the last campaign defense?

Honestly, the Time limit wouldn't have been much of a concern. It is something like eleven days, which, in game time is a loving eternity unless you sleep in the tents a bunch. I beat the game with about six survived days.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The general consensus was that you couldn't obtain it legitimately but there have been some conflicting reports. Is yours purple? The new one is purple.

Yeah, you could get it before. I had one for a few days.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CJacobs posted:

It's extremely Metal Gear, it just takes a while to get there.

The campaign ending is by far the most metal gear the series has been in a while, tbh.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The haymaker really is the ultimate cqc move. I have punched so many goats in their goddamn faces in this game

My girlfriend walked in while I was trying to capture my first bear, and she was just baffled at the fact that I kept sucker punching this bear in the back of the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

You can't blame all the issues on journalists making poo poo up there is plenty wrong with this game and it does have its obvious cash grabby problems.

I don't think anyone is saying that the game is flawless, far from it in fact. But game reviewers clearly had it out for survive since release, either injecting their own biases against the game or pandering to people who are mad at Konami. Every major reviewer had some sort of "Ermagerd $10 save file" nonsense out within a few days, despite the fact that it isn't really accurate, and that they never raised a peep over the fact that TPP didn't even have the option for multiple save files. I've seen half a dozen youtube variations on "This game is so dumb, look at how I can stand on this box and stab zombies in the head on the first area" that absolutely scream "I played this game for 15 minutes to get my footage and then closed it down without ever advancing far enough to encounter a single unique wanderer.

Hell, the amount of reviewers bitching about how they kept getting lost in the mist is loving astonishing considering: A. The flags and compass both exist as a way to figure out where you are at any one time. B. That is the whole loving point, you are supposed to get turned around and have a hard time navigating, it is why they disable your loving map.

MGS is a solid B- game bumped up a little further by the fact that the Fox Engine is made of voodoo and part of Kojima's soul, along with the fact that the developers embrace the absurdity of it all with the game's campaign. For $40 it is way more fun than I've had from a lot of games I've paid $60 for, and it doesn't deserve to get poo poo on by people so eager to use it as a punching bag that they will out and out lie about game mechanics.

• Locked thread