Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Someday, I Will Drive This Short Bus Myself

I've been wanting to extend my collection with a modern gun lately, but I didn't want another AR, and a lot of other things have a really similar appearance to the SCAR (ACR sort of, CZ Bren, etc) so I looked at what's really different. The one that's stood out and I've been curious about for years now is the IWI Tavor, with the most recent model available in the US being the X95. There are a number of variations and colors - mine is the XB16 in black, which is chambered in 5.56 with a 16" barrel. They also come in .300 Blackout and 9mm as well as some longer barrel lengths, as well as left handed models that are identical except with the left-handed controls pre-installed. You can change it around yourself otherwise. There's a restricted model for the lovely states as well.

Some more info from Wikipedia in case anyone couldn't have found this on their own: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IWI_Tavor_X95

Anyways, I ordered mine from my LGS last week Thursday and surprisingly it showed up today. On to the pictures:

It came in a nice box

Inside the box

With the bag removed. The pmag gen3 it comes with is on the right, and under it is a cleaning kit, some small tools, and some other documentation and stuff

The X95 brand new in all its space gun glory

All the stuff it comes with. Center is a cleaning kit that has lots of neat stuff in it, and you can see the QD loops as well as a small tool for the front sight adjustment, plus the usual manual, stickers, NRA crap, etc.

922(r) warning, just changing out a couple parts on here could put you in violation if you're not careful apparently.

With a mag in. I thought I also got a picture with the flip-up sights extended, but I didn't, so here's a link to someone else's: https://cdn.preppergunshop.com/medi...ack_logo_1_.jpg
They're a bit weird, and I probably won't use them much.

Disassembly

Disassembly on this is kinda weird, being a bullpup and notably different than both the AR and the SCAR (I'm not familiar with an AK since I don't like them at all and avoid them). I need to get a bit more used to it and understand what all needs to be done to clean it and everything - probably watch some youtube videos or something. However, for the sake of the thread, I took pictures of some basic disassembly.

First step to remove the sear group is to pop these two pins. They're a bit more difficult to pop than the AR or the SCAR, but maybe over time it'd be a bit easier. A bullet would do fine, I used a bent pliers to give them a shove. They have retaining cotter pins to keep the pins from coming all the way out and getting lost.

Second step is to pull the bolt release all the way down (it's going to take me a while to get used to the bolt release being way the hell back there, it's very odd.)

Then you just pull the sear group out. Pretty simple.

First step to pull out the bolt carrier is to pop this pin up here.

When you do that, the butt hinges downwards and the bolt carrier slides out

Bolt carrier and sear group, removed.

The rail covers also come off really easily in case you want to put stuff on the rails. I'm not planning on doing that right now. Honestly I'm not really planning on doing anything to this rifle other than shooting it, I mucked around a ton with the SCAR and that scratched that itch.

And here it is with the optics on it - EOTech EXPS2-0 and EOTech G33 magnifier. I don't know if they'll stay in that exact spot - 30 seconds of fiddling with the magnifier to see which place had the right eye relief put it there, but I think it's probably too far back for actual shooting and I'll likely move them forward a couple spots, we'll see.

I haven't shot this yet as it's getting dark out and I want to learn a bit more about how it works, give it a good cleaning/lube and make sure everything is square before I take it out back and shoot some targets with it, but I really like this thing. It just looks so cool and is really different than anything else I have.

At this point, unless I decide to get another AR at some point, I've probably filled my wants for "modern" guns. Next gun purchase, not anytime soon probably, will be an M1A probably, in wood furniture, to complement my Garand. Or maybe a Springfield or some other milsurp. I'm honestly at the point where I'm going to need a second or at least a larger gun safe though before I get any more guns.

(larger size album available here: https://imgur.com/a/sRMyQ )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm really curious to see what kind of accuracy you get out of it.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I probably won't know that til the spring - the most I can reasonably shoot in my backyard is about 25 yards which isn't a test for really any rifle that isn't horribly broken. I'll head out to places I can shoot longer distances come springtime and decent weather.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

We can be gun buddies. Hope you enjoy it.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

The one thing I don't like is that there's no specific trigger guard. I know the hand guard is mostly good enough but I'd rather there be separation between the other fingers and the trigger as well. If I do an aftermarket part for this sooner rather than later, it'll be something to accomplish that. Preferably that doesn't replace the handguard outright because I like how it looks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

I probably won't know that til the spring - the most I can reasonably shoot in my backyard is about 25 yards which isn't a test for really any rifle that isn't horribly broken. I'll head out to places I can shoot longer distances come springtime and decent weather.

Eh, it can be. Bench it and see how small the groups you get are. If youíre on,y getting an inch at 25 thatís going to imply some things about what 100 will look like.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons

I have that exact same setup, with the EOTech and mag. Except mines olive green.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Sweet spacegun, congrats.

shortspecialbus posted:

The one thing I don't like is that there's no specific trigger guard. I know the hand guard is mostly good enough but I'd rather there be separation between the other fingers and the trigger as well. If I do an aftermarket part for this sooner rather than later, it'll be something to accomplish that. Preferably that doesn't replace the handguard outright because I like how it looks.
Trigger guard replacement grips are readily available, but they all omit the gun cutlass handguard.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Will it run with a Magpul D60? Because it could be more spacegun!

ChickenBuckets
Sep 18, 2017

Steeltalon posted:

Been wanting to get one, but my state is not so free, so I have to stick to ARs, but that is one slick bullpup you have, thanks for the pic.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Sweet spacegun, congrats.

Trigger guard replacement grips are readily available, but they all omit the gun cutlass handguard.

Yeah that's the problem. I want to keep that

And thanks!

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Actually there is one modification I might want to do to help my wife shoot it since she's lefty:

https://www.bullpuparmory.com/produ...avx95-shdef.htm

Anyone have any idea where to get one of those? They're out of stock. I e-mailed the company to ask if they expected to have more ever, but I thought maybe someone looking at this thread might have another idea.

Edit: disregard, they are apparently in stock and just forgot to add them to the website!

shortspecialbus fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2018 around 16:24

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Steeltalon posted:

How well has yours run with the suppressor?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

How well has yours run with the suppressor?

No problems. No gas in face, but the can has a lot of volume so it probably helps not being a dedicated 5.56 can. Does get stinky though with the ejection port right by your nose. Got to run ear pro with it though too... but that's pretty on par with 5.56 suppressed.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Cyrano4747 posted:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Steeltalon posted:

No problems. No gas in face, but the can has a lot of volume so it probably helps not being a dedicated 5.56 can. Does get stinky though with the ejection port right by your nose. Got to run ear pro with it though too... but that's pretty on par with 5.56 suppressed.
Is yours not 5.56?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

Is yours not 5.56?

it gun is.. the can isnt.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I'm out of town for the next week. By the time I get back, I'll have that shell deflector replacement (although it won't really matter for me) and if weather is at least tolerable, I'll put my first rounds through it at ~25yds and give a report.

This gun is really awkward to fit in my safe. I really need to get a second one or a bigger one. It's like tetris in there at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Steeltalon posted:

it gun is.. the can isnt.
Ah, okay. I thought that was a 5.56 mag in it and was a little confused there. A 308 can on a 5.56 makes a lot more sense.