Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
A few years ago when I was new to this city and began trying to meet people (girls) around the local booze-strip I'd often get asked or told "what's your name on Facebook?" and "find me on Facebook".

I'm one of the many millennials who remember the insane popularity of "myspace" (my profile was sick just saying) and were the first users of Facebook. I think, statistically, anyone who is on this forum and reading this now is likely also part of that group. At the very least, anyone my age (29), hopefully understands what I mean when I say that meeting someone who does not have a Facebook profile is considered "odd".

I deactivated my Facebook profile for several-month stretches a few times previously, but I quit it altogether around when my daughter was born because I absolutely hated the way some of my peers cataloged their children's lives on social media. It's absolutely true when you hear people say that having children is the best thing in the world, but I don't need a goddamn recording of my child doing *things a child does* every day of her life, let alone post that poo poo and then expect someone else to want to see what I personally will never look back at.

Anyway, fact is Facebook became nearly meaningless to me because A) I couldn't give a gently caress about anyone's purposely uploaded pictures of their new haircut today or x decades from now; and B) it's just a personal soapbox for you to rant on under the assumption that you fully control who can and cannot see the content, while Facebook's feed is meant to only show your bullshit based on the (algorithmic) "popularity" of that bullshit and (algorithmic) "relevance" to people who might've clicked anything to do with you in the past, on top of the filters you set. Your mother is the only person who views, at the most, 90% of your poo poo... INCLUDING the stuff she willfully ignores. Kind of like forum members reading this thread except my mom isn't a member.

TL;DR
Right, so, aside from my rant against social media, point is not having a Facebook profile makes you looks weird and get laid less and also probably keeps you from getting a job for exactly the same reasons.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
I gave you a TL;DR.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Next time don't ask me about it then.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Cyks posted:

I'll answer seriously.
Your post mentions nothing about employability until the last sentence and is all about getting laid but you just had a kid so unless you got some random person pregnant than why are you worried about it. Yes I would agree not having a Facebook makes it socially harder to develop friendships but no for one time hookups.

As for employability not having a Facebook is a net positive. All hiring managers are going to Google your name and you want your first impression to be your resume/interview, not a picture of you drinking or your political/religious views. A LinkedIn account that is just a more detailed copy of your resume is fine.

Yeah I kind of got bored with the topic after my rant.

I think the majority of us are in agreement that hiring managers will check Facebook to try to gather as much information about the person as they can. Let's say a guy without a Facebook profile makes the shortlist and is one of three final candidates for a position. The other two candidates both have Facebook profiles. Assuming that there's nothing on their profiles that would put off the hiring manager, everything else being equal, is it not more likely that the candidate without the Facebook profile would be passed on purely because the hiring manager has less information about that person regarding how they might present themselves outside of the office?

I'm not currently looking for a job, but the thought came across my mind that if I do decide to look for a job, not having a social media presence might hurt my chances. My Linkedin is on point, but that says nothing about the type of people I might associate with. And yes, I'm definitely implying that a hiring manager will make assumptions about an individual based on (as an example) how many of their Facebook friends have pictures of themselves doing drugs / pissing on a cop car / flicking off the camera. And no, I wouldn't blame them for doing so, but what I'm saying is that without having a Facebook profile they wouldn't know that.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 15, 2018

• Locked thread