Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Releasing March 22nd

FFG is at it again. Just when you thought they could not squeeze any more money out of you on a regular basis they just had to make a “company size” ground combat miniature game. Many wallets were heard crying out in despair when it was formally announced in 2017.

What is Legion?
Basically think 40k scale, but with better rules. Created by Fantasy Flight Games (X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault and tons of other good games). Yeah, they made the Star Wars Destiny CCG too, but who can blame them for riding the gravy train that is fools who play CCGs

Sadly unlike X-Wing and Armada, the miniatures are unpainted. On a good note, you will be able to make tons of friends by painting Hello Kitty Vader and the Care Bear Storm Troopers

On a good note, FFG has said that unlike X-Wing and Armada you won't have to buy stuff from both factions to have access to all the upgrades.

Here is their blurb

quote:

Star Wars: Legion invites you to join the unsung battles of the Galactic Civil War as the commander of a unique army filled with troopers, powerful ground or repulsor vehicles, and iconic characters like Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker. While innovative mechanics simulate the fog of war and the chaos of battle, the unpainted, easily assembled miniatures give you a canvas to create the Star Wars army you’ve always wanted to lead into battle—whether you fight for the monolithic, oppressive Galactic Empire or the ragtag Rebel Alliance.

Bell of Lost Souls just put up a review and it's looking good
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/02/review-do-yourself-a-favor-and-play-star-wars-legion.html

Also, they have put up videos of full games. They are long, but they are answering tons of questions as they go.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/228399453

What era is this set?
This is set during the original trilogy. We know sooner or later they will expand into The Force Awakens era. If you are someone who really wants Ep 1-III I suggest you go ahead and just repeatedly punch yourself in the junk because no one likes you and no one ever will.

Rules
Learn to play rules(Baby's 1st game)
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...to

Full rules reference
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/86/db/86dbf9d4-fb20-4f6a-bf5a-5297a62f60aa/swl_rules_reference_11_eng.pdf

What units are in the game? What should I buy?

Buy what you like, but always buy a core set

Core Set

Includes everything you need to get started and learn the rules. While it does not include enough stuff for a full 800 point army it will give you a good idea on how to play the game and will make up ⅔ of your army.
It included:
Imperial
Vader
2x Speeder Bikes
2x Squads of Storm Trooper

Rebel
Luke Skywalker
AT-RT
2x Squads of Rebel Troopers

Plus range rulers, more tokens than you can shake a stick, rule books and of course custom FFG dice

Available at launch on March 22nd

Speeder Bike

Fast, Fragile, but can pack a wallop. Allergic to glowing green swords and stiff breezes
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/25/rule-the-galaxy-1/

Stormtrooper

Decent Armor and I poo poo you not, get bonuses for aiming
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/22/imperial-legions/

AT-ST

Live out your Ewok murder fantasies. Packs an ungodly amount of guns and can use them all
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-legion/products/-st-unit-expansion/

AT-RT

Bock, bock motherfucker I’m a chicken with a gun
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-legion/products/-rt-unit-expansion/

Rebel Troopers

Better guns than Stormtroopers, worse armour. Voted most like to be mowed down en mass by a red lightsaber in high school
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-legion/products/rebel-troopers-unit-expansion/

T-47 Snowspeeder

Wedge! Harpoons! Sadly no Dak
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/15/scramble-airspeeders/

Available April/May

General Veers

Commander: Last seen on Hoth in your base killing your doods
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/20/command-from-the-front/

SnowTroopers

Not Space Racists
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/20/snowtrooper-assault/

Princess Leia

Commander: I eagerly await the bad metal bikini modifications
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/24/inspire-rebellion/

Rebel Fleet Troopers

Hat game always on point
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/24/defend-the-fleet/

This is an FFG game so you can expect plenty of units to be released every few months. Just when you think you have it all BAM! New release

How to build an Army
You have 800 points to spend on
1-2 Commanders
Up to 2 Vehicles (AT-RT & Speeder Bikes don’t count)
As many troopers as you can fit
Plus upgrades for all of them.

There is already an Army builder online and there will be more after release
http://tabletopadmiral.com/legion/

Painting

If you are like me and haven't painted in ages I highly recommend Sorastro's painting channel. He puts up really nice guides on painting the models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OVnCFq1j04

If the is anything else you would like to see in the OP let me know and I will add it

Raged fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Reserved for something important I'm sure

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So in typical FFG style I assume most of this stuff will be nigh-ungettable a month after release, right?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Drone posted:

So in typical FFG style I assume most of this stuff will be nigh-ungettable a month after release, right?

FFG seems to be getting better about keeping up with demand. The latest wave of X-wing got a second shipment a few weeks after it came out. They also seemed to have slowed down the Armada release and a few other things to ramp up production of Legion.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How much of this game is the force user commander just slaughtering endless amounts of cannon fodder troops? Id like an actual troop vs troop game and want to steer as far away from the force stuff as possible. Basically my question is how close is this to the last 5min of Rogue One?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

How much of this game is the force user commander just slaughtering endless amounts of cannon fodder troops? Id like an actual troop vs troop game and want to steer as far away from the force stuff as possible. Basically my question is how close is this to the last 5min of Rogue One?

I have seen Luke die pretty quick from focused fire if he just blindly charges in. Vader moves so slow that he isn't going to have a chance to murder your whole army unless they are stacked in one big pile.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There's also going to be options to use non-Force using commanders. I'm looking forward to using General Veers and some Snowtroopers with AT-STs.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Why are their heads so big?

(Looks like a cool game. I’ll probably pick up the core set... and everything else.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, the videos I've seen sort of show Luke/Vader as something of a chess Queen piece.
It's valuable and has a meaningful impact, but a lot of the work is done by the other pieces.

Consider that a game is 800 points each side (core set includes about 500 points each side), Luke's base cost is 160 points and a unit of troopers is 40 points. In the videos I've seen, people are usually playing with a single core set preview copy, 500 points each side, and so the impact of the commanders there is probably somewhat overstated in those previews than you'd expect in a full game.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Given the points cost of an At St, I'm assuming the chances of the standard game point value going up to at least 1000, once there's more releases, are pretty high.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Raged posted:

I have seen Luke die pretty quick from focused fire if he just blindly charges in. Vader moves so slow that he isn't going to have a chance to murder your whole army unless they are stacked in one big pile.

I will put Vader on a speeder bike and run him into a tree if it gets him close to the rebels before turn 4.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

hoiyes posted:

Given the points cost of an At St, I'm assuming the chances of the standard game point value going up to at least 1000, once there are more releases, are pretty high.

I think Imps will get other smaller vehicles. In most of the previews, FFG has said that AT-STs are supposed to be a huge investment. The rebels can field a lot more units than Imps if the Imp player runs an AT-ST

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

hoiyes posted:

Given the points cost of an At St, I'm assuming the chances of the standard game point value going up to at least 1000, once there's more releases, are pretty high.

I believe I read somewhere that there are multiple game sizes supported in the rules... 500/800/1200 maybe?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Drone posted:

I believe I read somewhere that there are multiple game sizes supported in the rules... 500/800/1200 maybe?

All the rulebooks that have been read so far say 800. Pretty sure that is the same for the Organized Play preview they put out. 500 is used for the "Learn to Play"

Only big set of rules that hasn't come out is the terrain rules. Hoping FFG sticks to something like Armada and X-Wing where it is limited to a limited number of pieces per players. People are already making massive tables full of junk that no walker or flyer could get through.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Have FFG said anything about putting out Star Wars terrain, or are they leaving that to 3D printers or third party? My game store of choice has a preorder "bundle" of the core box + a 3x6 terrain mat of my choice (thinking desert... though the bundle doesn't really offer any discount, it's more of a convenience packet I guess), but I have zero terrain or Star Wars-appropriate buildings I could use with it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Drone posted:

Have FFG said anything about putting out Star Wars terrain, or are they leaving that to 3D printers or third party? My game store of choice has a preorder "bundle" of the core box + a 3x6 terrain mat of my choice (thinking desert... though the bundle doesn't really offer any discount, it's more of a convenience packet I guess), but I have zero terrain or Star Wars-appropriate buildings I could use with it.

There is some terrain/obstacles in the core set and at official FFG demos they have some Endor trees and the bunker, but they have not said anything about terrain. The only thing we know for sure is that it will be played on a 3x6 mat. There is a rules PDF that coming, but no idea if it is coming out before launch day.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The BoLS stream said the comprehensive rules reference would be released this Friday.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Do we know if the models are pre built?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They are not. Luke's arms are no attached which gives him a cool pose since it doesn't have to be so flat.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

From the painting videos posted, a lot of the troopers with larger guns come with the arms/gun detached. The AtRT comes in a lot of different pieces. Also, the ATST has the optional weapon upgrades as plastic bits that can be added to the model as well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've read that the models are detached but apparently snap-in or otherwise easily assembled. I don't think there are really GW levels of assembly required.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Drone posted:

Have FFG said anything about putting out Star Wars terrain, or are they leaving that to 3D printers or third party? [...] I have zero terrain or Star Wars-appropriate buildings I could use with it.

Use WH40K stuff. Just say it's taking place in a battlefield devastated by the Clone Wars, and you're set.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've mentioned these guys before for 3d printable terrain, but they're very nice models, and prices are pretty reasonable. I got their package where you get everything they produce, including periodic updates to existing models.

https://imperialterrain.com/

Lots of different buildings and obstacles to choose from. If you've got access to a 3d printer, it's a pretty good choice. I plan on making a bunch of different things and getting or making some roll-up mats.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Orvin posted:

From the painting videos posted, a lot of the troopers with larger guns come with the arms/gun detached. The AtRT comes in a lot of different pieces. Also, the ATST has the optional weapon upgrades as plastic bits that can be added to the model as well.

Yeah, you can load up the AT-ST to match the upgrades from the cards which is really cute

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Just saw how huge an AT-ST is in the flesh. So now I have pre-ordered one. My pile of shame continues to grow.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Just realised this game will almost certainly have ewok gliders.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Are they gonna do a Scum & Villainy faction? Because tbh that's the one I wanna play most.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

hoiyes posted:

Just realised this game will almost certainly have ewok gliders.

Going to have ewok corpses decorating my AT-ST

Drone posted:

Are they gonna do a Scum & Villainy faction? Because tbh that's the one I wanna play most.

Same here

My FLGS announced they are going to have a midnight launch. First they have ever done :woot: Lots of people have just walked in grabbed a preorder sheet, ticked off everything on the list and paid for it.

Raged fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 16, 2018

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I initially wanted to just order a core set and see how things went. But yesterday, I added an AT-ST and another set of troopers to my preorder. Partly because I can’t help myself, and partly because of concerns that the initial product run will sell out quickly. I really didn’t want to miss out on fielding an AT-ST if the opportunity arose.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
It may be a foolish delay but I've bought into too many minis games over the years to spring for a whole bunch of stuff on release. My plan is to give it a whirl with one of the endless people I know who'll go in hard on launch and see if it has the chops after a few games to actually tempt me away from the dark side (Warhammer 40k).

Oh and the umpteen million Union soldiers sat in a box. And the medieval minis. And the viking stuff. And the romans. And the napoleonics. And the ww2 dudes.

Basically, I'm trying to stop myself falling down another miniature gaming hole that I'll never escape from.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
There's so much of this that looks and sounds cool but after the hilarious botch that was the Star Wars Destiny release where I live I'm gonna wait and see before sinking any money into this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Drone posted:

I could definitely see some S&V releases that Empire/Rebels could take, not sure about an entire separate faction. It's ostensibly set in the GCW; I suppose you could have someone like Saw Guerrera's rebels as something new. I guess it depends on what they consider a faction.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 16, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I could definitely see some S&V releases that Empire/Rebels could take, not sure about an entire separate faction. It's ostensibly set in the GCW; I suppose you could could someone like Saw Guerrera's rebels as something new. I guess it depends on what they consider a faction.

Yeah, from the direction the game is going right now it's hard to imagine where scum units would come from. If they keep the GCW setting, there's not much there to go off of from the films. The fringe/criminal elements on screen are more like individual bounty hunters or a ragtag gang of mooks working for Jabba. Not really the organized militaries of the Empire/Rebels.
There's a lot in the prequel era that fits the setting though, with Clone armies vs. Droid armies.

That said, if they want to keep a release cadence up they've either got to expand the timeline with no regard to mixing the era/settings (like the SW LCG, Destiny, and X-Wing) or they mine deep into the old EU (LCG especially). I expect they'll probably expand the timeline and go wide before they go deep.
Or maybe there's a certain number of points each side can use to add an irregular mercenary type unit. It's all speculation at this point though.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, from the direction the game is going right now it's hard to imagine where scum units would come from. If they keep the GCW setting, there's not much there to go off of from the films. The fringe/criminal elements on screen are more like individual bounty hunters or a ragtag gang of mooks working for Jabba. Not really the organized militaries of the Empire/Rebels.
There's a lot in the prequel era that fits the setting though, with Clone armies vs. Droid armies.

That said, if they want to keep a release cadence up they've either got to expand the timeline with no regard to mixing the era/settings (like the SW LCG, Destiny, and X-Wing) or they mine deep into the old EU (LCG especially). I expect they'll probably expand the timeline and go wide before they go deep.
Or maybe there's a certain number of points each side can use to add an irregular mercenary type unit. It's all speculation at this point though.

I think that we could definitely see the inclusion of S&V 'mobs' (think Jabba's guards on skiffs in the fight around the Sarlacc pit) in addition to individual bounty hunters who can be 'hired' by Rebels or Imperials.

As for the release schedule, there's a ton of possibilities just from the GCW era alone now thanks to the new movies and Rebels. From Rogue One alone you have Saw's troops, more elite Rebel troops, shoretroopers, death troopers, imperial security droids (maybe more if I'm forgetting?). Hell, we already know of two new stormtrooper variants that will be appear in Solo. Then there're all the inevitable other auxiliaries, like ewoks and wookiees. They could be releasing stuff for years without even getting into the ST or PT settings.

That said, given what they've done with X-Wing, they'll definitely start dipping into the EU at some point.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

They also have the ability to add specialized organizational units. Say a unit of shock stormtroopers that have the ability to rush faster but have weaker armor, or a rebellion mechanized force with better vehicle support. With the AT-RT they're showing that they aren't married to the movie canon.

I'm looking forward to dewback troopers and rebel sniper units.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Someone in my local group found images of the learn to play guide.

https://imgur.com/a/pVqwC

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Just read the movement rules in the LTP. What happens if somebody moves their AT-ST into a wall, or close enough that the movement tool won’t fit in the front, it stays there for the rest of the game?

Edit:
Nevermind, they can apparently pivot. Which makes sense, but is much less funny.

vvv: Ah, reverse as well. Cool beans.

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 17, 2018

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

uncle blog posted:

Just read the movement rules in the LTP. What happens if somebody moves their AT-ST into a wall, or close enough that the movement tool won’t fit in the front, it stays there for the rest of the game?

You can go in reverse, or pivot. It's in that same book, under vehicle rules.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

They also have the ability to add specialized organizational units. Say a unit of shock stormtroopers that have the ability to rush faster but have weaker armor, or a rebellion mechanized force with better vehicle support. With the AT-RT they're showing that they aren't married to the movie canon.

I'm looking forward to dewback troopers and rebel sniper units.

Tauntaun outriders :allears:

I don't think any special forces units have been revealed at all? They've all been Commander, Troop, Support and Heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I'm thinking Scum & Villainy mercenary units which will build up to a third faction under something like Hutts or Black Sun banners. The game is still small scale enough that the Empire hitting a smuggler base would be credible.

Bounty Hunters are obvious special character releases and could maybe be low level commanders.

Who wants to see an AT-ST fighting a Rancor? Or a mob of Jawas getting revenge on Stormtroopers who blew up their sand crawler?