Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Yeah, bounty hunters and scum would definitely get me picking this up.

So are the expansions that are duplicates of the starter set different, with the standard FFG different upgrade cards model, or are they the same?

Getting two starters at £70 each seems like it would give you 800 points (checked, does with rebels). Since the expansions are £25 with shipping, wanting three extra of any of the core stuff justifies getting two core games.

Anyone played it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Thundercloud posted:

Anyone played it yet?

There's already a complete version of the starter box up on the Steam Workshop for Tabletop Simulator. I'm dying to give it a shot but haven't had the time yet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thundercloud posted:

Yeah, bounty hunters and scum would definitely get me picking this up.

So are the expansions that are duplicates of the starter set different, with the standard FFG different upgrade cards model, or are they the same?

Getting two starters at £70 each seems like it would give you 800 points (checked, does with rebels). Since the expansions are £25 with shipping, wanting three extra of any of the core stuff justifies getting two core games.

Anyone played it yet?

Each expansion has one or two cards that aren't in the core set, but they're the same across faction so like Stormtroopers and Rebel Troopers both have the same new cards, and so do the Speeder Bikes and AT-RTs. Digging around the extra cards don't seem that great, so they aren't giving me a ton of incentive to buy the standalone boxes at launch. They do have different poses, if you care about that.

I think right now I'm ending up with 2 cores, Snowspeeder and AT-ST. The Empire list that lets you build isn't great, but I don't want to end up buying a ton of units at launch that end up never coming out of storage later, like happened with X-Wing.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

... I don't want to end up buying a ton of units at launch that end up never coming out of storage later, like happened with X-Wing.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

(Seriously, I do break out a TIE swarm on occasion. And if I play the fan-made single-player X-wing campaign, I end up using all those TIE fighters. So there are probably going to be uses for them.)

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
That's the thing making me hesitate. The likely event that everything in the core set will be at the back of the cupboard next year as we contend with an ATAT/Deathtrooper meta.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
One of the first things I bought when I got into X-Wing 4 1/2 years ago was 4 Y-Wings, and I still use all of them regularly.

Shame about the A-Wings I got though

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Personally I'd hesitate to double up on stuff too quickly. For one thing FFG are probably keeping higher stock levels of this in the pipeline as they expect high level of interest, plus as more releases come through the meta won't just be limited to the core box plus 3 other things per side for long.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

One of the first things I bought when I got into X-Wing 4 1/2 years ago was 4 Y-Wings, and I still use all of them regularly.

Yeah, I had a lot of A-Wings and Tie Interceptors taking up shelf space for a while.

Ugleb posted:

Personally I'd hesitate to double up on stuff too quickly. For one thing FFG are probably keeping higher stock levels of this in the pipeline as they expect high level of interest, plus as more releases come through the meta won't just be limited to the core box plus 3 other things per side for long.

My problem right now is that, unless you want to load up with vehicles, it looks like you need around 4 or 5 units of troops per side in an 800 point game. To that end I'm getting 2 cores (also for the extra dice and templates and such), but the other route I was considering was just playing small until Snowtroopers and Fleet Troopers get released. They have a different enough niche from Stormtroopers/Rebel Troopers since they have more of an offensive focus, and I'm pretty sure most armies are going to want to run some mixture of the two.

I need to look up a release date for the next wave of releases before I put down my preorder, if it's just like a month I might just go with a single core and focus on painting until they're out.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The most important ffg launch item is always more dice

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They make for pretty awesome dashboard decoration in my car.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

With the price point of stuff and nature of list building it seems obvious that it needs to be treated more like the wargame that it in fact is versus something like X-Wing. I've got concerns with early supply stuff too based on other FFG Star Wars games, but for sure want to know how it actually plays and what the eventual metagame and list building actually looks like before diving into buying additional stuff. Even then it needs to be specific purchases of units. It's not going to be an X-Wing situation of buying one or two of everything to cover all your bases, but rather conceptualizing a list and buying exactly what you need. It's an exponentially higher investment on the hobby side of things in terms of assembly and painting.

It's part of why I expressed concern a while back with how they distribute upgrade cards, which sounds like won't be too bad; I hope I never have to go out and buy a box of models that will never hit the table or even get assembled just for some cardboard slips.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Given that no one I know wants to play this and it will be me forcing people to play demos, I'm gonna stick with a single core set and not buy anything else until that is painted.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Hey all,

I've been looking, and it seems pretty hard to find a nice neoprene mat that'll work for Legion. Has anyone found a 6x3 mat that Legion can use (i.e., not SPAAAAAACE) that isn't going to kill me on shipping because I'm in the US?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This seems like a no- brainer, but try looking for two 3x3 mats. They're generally cheaper since hardly anything uses them.

Alternatively, check out your local hardware store for 18" linoleum tiles and pick up sixteen of them.

moths fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 19, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
FFG still hasn't released a 6x3 mat for Rune Wars, just a single grass and mud 3x3 that you're supposed to buy two of :what:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Shame if you aren't playing Runewars over Cloud City and the Death Star.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Feeple posted:

Hey all,

I've been looking, and it seems pretty hard to find a nice neoprene mat that'll work for Legion. Has anyone found a 6x3 mat that Legion can use (i.e., not SPAAAAAACE) that isn't going to kill me on shipping because I'm in the US?

I've got a 6x4 cloth mat that I just fold over to make smaller battlefields. so if you can find a good value one of those, that would work. Then again, you did say Neoprene.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I don't like the fact that airspeeders actually fly around the board. In forty years of wargaming, hadn't we figured out that's not a good way to represent aircraft at this scale?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I found these online, but I have no idea if they're any good or not.

http://www.tablewar.com/the-f-a-t-mat/6x3-f-a-t-mat/

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Funzo posted:

FAT Mats are great.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Funzo posted:

I own one for Armada. Can confirm they are great. Heavy duty neoprene.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm really excited to see people build terrain in a Mayan/Tikal inspired style in approximation of Yavin IV

darkroot
Apr 11, 2012

Strikers Over Scarif
Rules Reference and official (non-leaked) Learn to Play are out today.

Of note are the Grand Army rules:

Optional Rules, Page 47 posted:

GRAND ARMY
Players who wish to play a larger game may construct grand armies instead of standard armies. A grand army follows all the standard rules for army construction, but its total point value is 1,600 instead of 800 and it may include additional units. Additionally, battles between grand armies are conducted on a 4' x 6' battlefield. During step 5 of setup, do not draw any deployment cards, and during step 6 each player has only one opportunity to eliminate a card. Finally, during step 8, each player should deploy their units within range 2 of a 4’ edge of the battlefield, opposite their opponent.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Ruuuuuuuullllees

L2P

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/ed/60/ed603073-b7a3-4e83-94b6-31c8e5cf922f/swl01_learn_to_play_eng.pdf

Full rules reference

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/86/db/86dbf9d4-fb20-4f6a-bf5a-5297a62f60aa/swl_rules_reference_11_eng.pdf

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

I am liking the tourney terrain rules a lot.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I really hope somewhere local does the launch weekend event for this/officially supports it. Nowhere has it listed on their website yet.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Tons of shops in Australia are doing the launch weekend event. Sadly I will be away at a X-Wing regional that weekend.

Edit: wow for 800 point armies you have to have 3 trooper units. That's interesting. Going to make running an ATST interesting.

Raged fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 27, 2018

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Funzo posted:

Thanks! Now to figure out what planet to build first. I'm thinking Hoth.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is this going to be WYSIWIG like Warhammer? Do the AT-ST weapons snap-in or should I look into magnetizing?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The learn-to-play guide talks about assembling with glue, so I would expect you'll need magnets for anything that won't stay put with just tension.

Aside from that, it appears that two opposing units with the same range on their guns can be placed in such a way that one only one unit can shoot at the other? Not saying that's a dealbreaker or anything, but it's curious.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

fadam posted:

Is this going to be WYSIWIG like Warhammer? Do the AT-ST weapons snap-in or should I look into magnetizing?

It's not necessarily WYSIWIG, considering your squad loadout is more dependent on the cards you have for them than on the minis themselves.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Yeah I don't see FFG going down that route. Even at World's you will see ships that have been modded and look nothing like the ship they represent. As long as you have the unit cards and upgrade cards you will be fine. Outside of tournaments if someone doesn't let you proxy stuff then they are not worth playing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know basically any tackle box or plano box will work, but is there a particular make or brand of token case you guys would recommend? Preferably one I can order online in Canada? It seems like there's a bunch of stuff to keep organized in this game.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

poo poo, I haven't even thought about storage yet. I've got two core sets coming, so I should probably figure out how I'm going to transport all of it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

I use pluck foam for my XWing collection and plan on using that for Legion. Think I will have to get creative with the AT-ST.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I really hope future releases have cooler upgrades in them. Right now I'm pretty underwhelmed with the non-trooper upgrades to the Infantry units. Even knowing they're impact 5 or whatever, the grenade upgrade seems pretty bad imo.

I've been messing around with the army builder and came up with this:

Luke /w Battle Meditation and Force Reflexes (185)
5x Rebel Troopers /w Z-6 and Extra Trooper (5x72= 360)
3x AT-RT /w Rotary Blaster (3x85= 255)

Lots of bodies to grab objectives, and I'm hoping the sheer number of dice is enough to deal with armor.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I think grenades are much more powerful for Stormtroopers, rather than Rebel Troopers. With the stormtrooper getting an offensive surge, the upgrade to black attack dice on the grenade takes them from 3/8 hits to 5/8 hits. The downside of range 1 will still make them a bit hard to use well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I like the idea of a squad of stormtroopers running to close distance and then hucking some bullseye grenades onto a moving airspeeder

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Just put a set of stormtroopers on my pre-order list at the flgs then realised I have ordered everything that is coming out.

gently caress I'm weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Polygon put up their preview last week;
https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/27/17055842/star-wars-legion-review-preview-price-ship-date-availability

The main hits against it were the usual FFG issues;
Not enough dice- the average die pool is 7-8 but they only give you 3 of each.
Lack of clarity of rules- the box only comes with a learn to play book and most of the rules are contradicted by exceptions throughout the book and the comprehensive rule book wasn't included. Hopefully that's just for review copies.

The models are great though they're not snapfit.