Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Cobaltshift posted:

Just finished putting my core together. Very excited to try it out.

What are all of you doing for storage? This might be the day when I finally get one of those pluck foam tray and case set ups.

Yeah, pluck foam for now. I have an extra Army Transport case and a couple of 2” foam trays, each will hold about 2 units of duders. Need to grab a 4” for the vehicles.

I don’t know how it would work but it would be baller as hell to use one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Darth...hkAAOSwrBxarydt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Cobaltshift posted:

Just finished putting my core together. Very excited to try it out.

What are all of you doing for storage? This might be the day when I finally get one of those pluck foam tray and case set ups.

That’s what I’m doing. I got a good deal on case and some pluck foam trays.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

head58 posted:

I don’t know how it would work but it would be baller as hell to use one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Darth...hkAAOSwrBxarydt

I think you're better off with one or two of these https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Star-Wars-1983-Chewbacca-Bandolier-Strap-w-Original-Box/222897373093?hash=item33e5b7ffa5:g:kkgAAOSwQKBatu6F

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So are you guys attaching arms before painting?

On the one hand a lot of the arm arrangements obstruct the chest, on the other hand iy means you fill the gaps before you undercoat and paint.

Also these minis can get bubbles. I have one at the bottom of Lukes arm just under the armpit.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Anyone get mistaken parts? I got 3 right flaps for my speeder bikes and only one left.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

So are you guys attaching arms before painting?

On the one hand a lot of the arm arrangements obstruct the chest, on the other hand iy means you fill the gaps before you undercoat and paint.

Also these minis can get bubbles. I have one at the bottom of Lukes arm just under the armpit.

I glued my stormtroopers arms on pre-painting and kind of wish I hadn’t - the black under suit is a bitch to get at with them on, and I zeinthal shaded them so cleaning up mistakes is tricky.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Extremism in pursuit of a table full of suitable terrain is no vice.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I played quite a few games over the weekend, and I mostly enjoy the game, but I think it has some balance issues. The AT-ST seems absurdly powerful, and the Rebels have few weapons that can reliably damage it. I also think there needs to be more ways to mitigate dice rolls. Even with Dodge, I was losing full squads at a time due to crap rolls on what is already a low chance die.
Rebels absolutely need cover to sit behind and shoot out of, and the boards we were playing on had very little of it. Our choices were to either hide behind buildings and let the Imperials roll across the board, or sit on objectives out in the open and get cut apart.
That being said, I do think there a good game in there. The cover thing was largely due to the face that the Adepticon staff was rushed to get boards set up. I also think balance will even out as upgrades and new units are released.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
You can make a AT-ST a waste of points with 2 Ion troopers. Place the squads with them so that if the AT-ST goes after them then the vulnerable back is facing your T-47 and AT-RTs

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Extremism in pursuit of a table full of suitable terrain is no vice.

That's going to look awesome when you're finished.

Hot drat, this game looks so loving rad.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Raged posted:

You can make a AT-ST a waste of points with 2 Ion troopers. Place the squads with them so that if the AT-ST goes after them then the vulnerable back is facing your T-47 and AT-RTs

The problem we ran into was that with upgrades it never has to move. It can hit anywhere on the board and fire 4 weapons.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funzo posted:

I played quite a few games over the weekend, and I mostly enjoy the game, but I think it has some balance issues. The AT-ST seems absurdly powerful, and the Rebels have few weapons that can reliably damage it. I also think there needs to be more ways to mitigate dice rolls. Even with Dodge, I was losing full squads at a time due to crap rolls on what is already a low chance die.
Rebels absolutely need cover to sit behind and shoot out of, and the boards we were playing on had very little of it. Our choices were to either hide behind buildings and let the Imperials roll across the board, or sit on objectives out in the open and get cut apart.
That being said, I do think there a good game in there. The cover thing was largely due to the face that the Adepticon staff was rushed to get boards set up. I also think balance will even out as upgrades and new units are released.

Welp, sounds like the game had a good run, but now it's over. We can try the "Star Wars Miniatures" idea again in another 5 years or so.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I plan on playing with decent amounts of cover, and rebels seem very much about sitting in cover and ambushing things. Give them a tank and some tougher infantry and we might see that change.

I've assembled and gap filled my stormtroopers now, along with Vader and Luke, so that's almost half the starter put together.

I do think the mini quality is about the same as Mantic Deadzone, though the sculpts are better and of things we are familiar with.

My AT-ST should come today. It does feel like to have a proper game you need 800 points of stuff. Also on paper I think Vader is a bit of a waste of points due to being slow and costing about as much as an AT-ST. Veers is more than 100 points cheaper which gives you another set of speeder bikes or 1 1/2 squads of troopers.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Thundercloud posted:

I plan on playing with decent amounts of cover, and rebels seem very much about sitting in cover and ambushing things. Give them a tank and some tougher infantry and we might see that change.

I've assembled and gap filled my stormtroopers now, along with Vader and Luke, so that's almost half the starter put together.

I do think the mini quality is about the same as Mantic Deadzone, though the sculpts are better and of things we are familiar with.

My AT-ST should come today. It does feel like to have a proper game you need 800 points of stuff. Also on paper I think Vader is a bit of a waste of points due to being slow and costing about as much as an AT-ST. Veers is more than 100 points cheaper which gives you another set of speeder bikes or 1 1/2 squads of troopers.

I only played a few games and found the opposite to be true re: Vader. The maps we played on were quite small though so maybe that's part of it but vader was an absolute tank in each game

I'll also second the above wrt to rebels needing cover to be effective. P much the first turn of every rebel unit should have it acquire a Dodge token at least

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Funzo posted:

The problem we ran into was that with upgrades it never has to move. It can hit anywhere on the board and fire 4 weapons.

Firing is an action. 2 Ions tokens means it gets no actions. It is a sitting duck. You fire the Ion as part of the squad's whole attack pool so you are pretty much guaranteed a to get that hit to crit in.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I do like the AT-RT as a unit for the look and gun options. Has anyone tried running them in pairs? And go all anti tank or anti personnel or one of each?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The age-old basing question.

I'm leaning towards going just plain flat color rather than flocked and stuff due to the fact my dudes will be on desert planets, deck plating, forest moons, etc etc.

However option B is to do them up for my main terrain board which is Sullust/Mustafar which would look slick... on that mat. And weird everywhere else.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Raged posted:

Firing is an action. 2 Ions tokens means it gets no actions. It is a sitting duck. You fire the Ion as part of the squad's whole attack pool so you are pretty much guaranteed a to get that hit to crit in.

poo poo, I thought it was 1 action period, not one per token. That does make things a little better.
I'm willing to chalk most of my issues up to a rushed release day tournament. The boards were pre-set so we had no say in terrain placement, which is different from how the rules say tournament terrain will be handle.
On the plus side, I met the game lead designer, and he seems like a pretty nice guy.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Raged posted:

The only thing to remember is that the Ion launcher trooper is a 32 point upgrade. And the fact that the Ion gun is exhaust on use. After the first attack with the Ion guns, those rebel troopers are not doing anything other than doing the recharge action (or whatever it is that readys cards) and attacking. No dodge tokens, no repositiong or anything. Using 144ish points to lock down 200+ points is reasonably fair. Especially as the Imperial player had better assign some troopers of his own to counter attack the rebel Ion troopers.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The speeder seems like a reasonably good hedge against walkers: The main cannons are impact 3 and the tow cable can make it show its rear end to give even your squads of small arms dorks Impact 1 against it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I have an AT-ST waiting for me at home.

Are there any good sources for stormtrooper colourschemes?

I was thinking coloured helmet stripe to differentiate the different squads, as I'll end up with four of them and it could get confusing otherwise.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

I was thinking coloured helmet stripe to differentiate the different squads, as I'll end up with four of them and it could get confusing otherwise.

My plan is to do them all uniform movie canon white, the edge bevel trimmed in a color matching a color on the squad commander's pauldron.

E: they made the rebel squad leader too distinctive. He sticks out like a special character/officer type with that "posing for the cover of my hot fire hip hop album I just dropped" look. I could mix it up with my sprue of random ladyheads, but the scale is weird.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 26, 2018

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Interesting early feedback, please keep it coming!

I actually *like* the idea of things like the AT-ST being hard to deal with. The Empire *should* be big and nasty and hard to deal with. Same for the Rebels needing to use cover and avoid being caught in open fire fights.

Are some of you seeing this as something that needs to be perfectly symmetrical and balanced for tournament play? Maybe it is better for casual or narrative type play? Certainly great to be able to officially support all of the various forms of play (GW seems to be trying that more and more), but maybe one is simply a better 'fit' than the others.

Looking forward to seeing more and more options. Curious what the Imperial response to Han and the Commandos will be. Dismounted scouts? Death Troopers?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, I could see Death Troopers, Scarif Shoretroopers, or Inferno Squad troopers in a Special Forces role.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
let me get some darktroopers from BF1

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Soldier o Fortune posted:

I actually *like* the idea of things like the AT-ST being hard to deal with. The Empire *should* be big and nasty and hard to deal with. Same for the Rebels needing to use cover and avoid being caught in open fire fights.

Are some of you seeing this as something that needs to be perfectly symmetrical and balanced for tournament play? Maybe it is better for casual or narrative type play? Certainly great to be able to officially support all of the various forms of play (GW seems to be trying that more and more), but maybe one is simply a better 'fit' than the others.

Looking forward to seeing more and more options. Curious what the Imperial response to Han and the Commandos will be. Dismounted scouts? Death Troopers?

It would be pretty dumb of FF to make a game that can't be played fairly at a competitive level because of lore reasons lol.

I haven't had a chance to play against or with the AT-ST yet, but in the few games I've played the Rebels seemed okay. The AT-RT with the rotary gun is an incredible value. Three of those and five squads running the chain gun is a humongous amount of dice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

let me get some darktroopers from BF1

Please save trash for this for like wave 12, after all the screen canon has been exhausted. :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

fadam posted:

It would be pretty dumb of FF to make a game that can't be played fairly at a competitive level because of lore reasons lol.

I haven't had a chance to play against or with the AT-ST yet, but in the few games I've played the Rebels seemed okay. The AT-RT with the rotary gun is an incredible value. Three of those and five squads running the chain gun is a humongous amount of dice.

Just give Rebels a "Big ole' Stick" strategy card to play on an AT-ST to give it a few wounds.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So far, with the two additional waves that have been announced, they're sticking with the original Trilogy. I'm wondering if they're going to go the multiple faction rout like other war games, or stick with more of an X-Wing approach, of just two factions, maybe three if they mimic the Scum faction.

I do thin that as more people are playing and there's a chance to do some proper list building, things will balance out on their own. Adepticon was largely "play with what you could get your hands on" which limits what you can really do.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Please save trash for this for like wave 12, after all the screen canon has been exhausted. :colbert:

screen canon will be exhausted by like wave 3 and most of those will be varieties of 'stormtroopers with a higher or lower move value'

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Where are my trade federation droids?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'll buy this game once Willrow Hood gets a mini.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just give Rebels a "Big ole' Stick" strategy card to play on an AT-ST to give it a few wounds.

Chewbacca commander melee attack to capture the vehicle

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You know those Army Painter color primers? Is there any reason I can't simulate using one of those by airbrushing colored Army Painter paints onto my minis, or do I have to use a designated primer first?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

fadam posted:

You know those Army Painter color primers? Is there any reason I can't simulate using one of those by airbrushing colored Army Painter paints onto my minis, or do I have to use a designated primer first?

Always prime. Always.

I've also seen a few reports that the models may have a decent amount of mold release agent on them, so you might want to wash them in soapy water first as well.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

fadam posted:

You have to prime, but the army painter paints match their sprays. I prime with badgers stynlrez white and spray pure red and it's basically the same as what I got from the spray.

Synlrez is super forgiving and easy to apply as well, much easier than regular paint.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Soldier o Fortune posted:

If FFG are promoting tournament play, then the game needs to be competitively balanced. Personally I think any good Wargame is going to be relatively well balanced because one sided game mechanics will get boring quickly.

I do think it is way too early to judge for Legion yet with so few units available and it only just getting into the hands of players. It sounds like the tables at Adepticon were not great or all that balanced because the organisers lacked experience of the system and had to guess.

You can pitch a game more heavily towards one playstyle over another, and that is fine if you are up front about it. Modiphius are pitching Fallout to be a more narrative experience than hyper competitive because they feel it fits the source material. They are also putting effort into solo play AI options so going to events to play games is less important. That is good, because events usually mean tournaments.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
GW "support other styles" only because they suck at not making their games imbalanced cheesefest. Factions may not need to be symmetrical, but they need to be balanced. Nobody likes to be the NPCs in someone else's war stories.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Iceclaw posted:

GW "support other styles" only because they suck at not making their games imbalanced cheesefest. Factions may not need to be symmetrical, but they need to be balanced. Nobody likes to be the NPCs in someone else's war stories.

Wouldn't HotAC and ImpAss imply otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The more I use the Ion gun the more unimpressed with it I am. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a shift toward getting rid of exhausting anti-tank stuff in the future.