Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

With the price point of stuff and nature of list building it seems obvious that it needs to be treated more like the wargame that it in fact is versus something like X-Wing. I've got concerns with early supply stuff too based on other FFG Star Wars games, but for sure want to know how it actually plays and what the eventual metagame and list building actually looks like before diving into buying additional stuff. Even then it needs to be specific purchases of units. It's not going to be an X-Wing situation of buying one or two of everything to cover all your bases, but rather conceptualizing a list and buying exactly what you need. It's an exponentially higher investment on the hobby side of things in terms of assembly and painting.

It's part of why I expressed concern a while back with how they distribute upgrade cards, which sounds like won't be too bad; I hope I never have to go out and buy a box of models that will never hit the table or even get assembled just for some cardboard slips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

poo poo those mats are ugly as hell. Too much going on, which is also going to look super weird when you layer on actual 3D terrain.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I was really impressed with the AT-ST kit. It's loving huge and everything was very clean and more or less snap-fit while still being really poseable. Only thing you've really got to secure is the big loose ball joint for the head. Some of the troopers have been a little more messy and needed some thorough cleaning and gap filling at arm sockets, but overall these are good models. Nice and chunky and fun to paint.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I was able to play in a small tournament today and was pretty impressed with the game. Coming from Warmachine I was a little worried about complexity level, but it felt like a ton of strategy was there. Considering objectives, command cards, order of activation and how to actually resolve a given units turn in terms of action choices means it involved a lot of thought. Like any wargame there were swingy moments with specific dice roles but overall every match felt like the result of distinct choices and not luck. The streamlined elements of the movement tools and custom dice make everything feel pretty clean and very X-Wing-like. There's not a lot of kludge to it. I'm enthusiastic about this thing, but granted that's only after a day of playing. I hope it manages to get a foothold and winds up a healthy game.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yes, be a stickler for terrain and bust out the competitive placement rules from the reference. You need lots of poo poo to both break up line of sight entirely as well as tons of waist-high stuff for easy/obvious cover. From my experiences so far it's fine if there are lots of options for stuff to dig in; As discussed, rebels need it due to their lovely defense dice, but hunkering down in an army-wide sense and trying to play a war of attrition isn't conducive to the turn limit and objective focused play. Nobody wants a big open field with a bunch of jabronis taking long range pot shots at each other from the one or two pieces of cover that exist closest to their deployment zone.

Also give consideration to climbing as well as the AT-ST and Airspeeder. One or two things should also be tall as hell to impede that type of stuff as well.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 15, 2018

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I've only gotten to play at launch weekend and a few casual 400-500 ish point games, but signed up for a standard 800 point tournament in three weeks from now. Gonna try a split of storm and snowtroopers, something akin to this.

Darth Vader
Force Choke, Saber Throw, Force Reflexes

Stormtroopers
DLT-19 Stormtrooper

Stormtroopers
DLT-19 Stormtrooper

Stormtroopers
DLT-19 Stormtrooper

Snowtroopers
Flametrooper

Snowtroopers
Flametrooper

AT-ST
88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon, AT-ST Mortar Launcher

Kinda stuck on Vader as a commander in spite of people seeming to generally think he's overpriced, and am split between this general list or nixing one squad and probably the mortar the squeeze in Veers. I like the idea of a second commander and having access to his one and three pip cards, but am totally unsure just looking at it on paper as to which would ultimately be more effective. I feel like maybe what he brings to the table isn't quite as potent as a fifth unit in terms of firepower and flexibility, especially considering objective play, but that's what you'd call an educated guess at best. Might go with Veers to just have a little bit more variety than anything else.

Either way I got plenty of time between now and then to bore myself silly painting a shitload of white troopers.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I wouldn't have expected them to introduce an entirely new unit type this early. I suppose having a non-commander bring both the mini's abilities alongside a set of command cards to the table provides a pretty good design space for a variety of pieces; I could easily envision both Boba Fett style dudes who are powerful and self sufficient, but also very supportive units that have both effects and command cards that give orders to other units and are the opposite of self-serving. Could easily see less fighting oriented characters like 3P0, R2, maybe old Obi Wan, etc falling into that category. It's also kind of a nice loophole to let you field dudes who thematically don't seem appropriate leading squads of troops in the OT time period but are more important than rank and file mooks.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Seems like a stationary turret would take some confidence in your ability to intelligently select the battlefield cards and deploy. My meaningless kneejerk reaction is that the imperial version is better and cheaper.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The paintjob is certainly technically better than the original one shown with the announcement articles, it's just that he went from looking like he got stung by a bunch of bees to Frankenstein's monster. Change of Plans looks annoying as gently caress since it often feels like big-deal command cards like Master of Evil are pretty predictable.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah is there something with Covert Observation I'm not seeing? You list your seven command cards on your army list as totally open information.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't think it's a matter of the OT stuff being tapped, but rather them wanting to branch out into more factions as soon as possible considering you're probably going to want more than just two for a decently healthy wargame. I was initially surprised they went with prequel stuff over new trilogy stuff, but I suppose Resistance versus First Order would look nearly identical to Revels vs Empire, so you'd at least have a little more variance on the table when you instead do lovely goofy robots and good guy stormtroopers that look sort of different.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

He seems like a really powerful vulture basically; his baseline damage isn't inherently too explosive, but with the dice pool combined with his pierce 1 and sharpshooter 2 he'll be super consistent with pushing a couple hits through every time he shoots. The flame projector and jetpack rocket give him bigger hits when he selectively needs it. Combine that with insane mobility, red defense dice, and both surges with his offensive one being a crit means he kind of looks like a pretty ridiculous tool box. He won't be wiping entire squads with a single swing like Vader, but there's a lot of versatility and survivability there that will probably be really fun to put on the table.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Had a fun little tournament a couple weekends back that I won partly thanks to getting Key Positions twice, being empire, and a 5 point bid being enough to be blue player both times. RIP you busted-rear end scenario. Darth Vader remains an absolute monster and the most fun model to play by far, but Boba Fett is a close second with his crazy versatility making up for his lack of brute strength. The two are definitely too expensive points-wise, in addition to competing really badly for timing of command cards, to run them in the same army though. Feels like Vader really needs to work alone, whereas Boba is a solid compliment to Veers. Really hope this game keeps a foothold and the diehard little community here holds out and grows. Fantasy Flight made a good rear end game that feels great on the table, so they better not do the Fantasy Flight thing and gently caress it up.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

HebrewMagic posted:

My partner bought the starter kit for this on Black Friday for us, what do I need to get my hands on to get our forces up to proper size? I recall getting the 40k starter set in 7th and that was a few units short to begin with, so I'm just assuming going in here it's the same way.

The boring answer is probably a second starter set. Two more sets of stormtroopers and rebel troopers is good since you need a minimum of 3 corps units, and fielding around 4 of either of those "basic" units is a good idea most of the time, particularly with rebels. It'll also make it so you don't have to share rulers or movement tools, you'll have a good amount of dice since some attack/defense dice pools can get pretty big, and an extra copy of Luke and Vader with their command cards is good since they're not stand alone models in case either of you want to dip into both factions independently and have your own personal versions of those guys.

Regardless of whether you want to go ahead and do that, the big vehicles on either side eat up a bunch of points and are ok power-wise; the AT-ST moreso than the airspeeder. They're both fun to put on the table even if they are a bit over costed. My lists tend to gravitate towards supplementing 3-4 of the stormtroopers/rebel troopers with 1-2 of their respective closer range corp unit counterparts, so a really good choice is at least one box of snowtroopers and fleet troopers. A box of scout troopers and rebel commandos are also a good buy because they are set up such that one box can be fielded as a two model sniper team and a separate 4-5 model unit.

Basically just look at a list builder and go with the mentality of getting around 4 corp units for each side and then fill it up with whatever you think is cool. So far everything released is viable, with the slight exception being the aforementioned heavy vehicles being underwhelming for their points cost. So if another starter isn't appealing, a box each of snowtroopers/fleet troopers would get your your minimum 3 corps units and a little more variety within that unit type, scout troopers/rebel commandos would get you two solid units out of one box each, and then from there you could buy a second commander for each side, the emplacement trooper gun turrets, go crazy with upgrades, or whatever you want to cover the last ~100 points.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Going ahead and doing an upgrade card pack based around the idea that people may not want that new starter or anything to do with the new factions is a nice move. It's good that they got away from the lovely model of 1st edition X-Wing and are setting a precedent for getting cards you need without buying models that you don't. It was pretty ok anyway with just empire and rebels, but it would have otherwise gotten messy with the prequel stuff plus other factions like scum being likely down the line.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The AT-RT flamethrower can potentially need more than six black dice, but that's the only situation I can think of off the top of my head. Two packs is plenty.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Fuckin lol at a couple already on ebay for $100+. I told myself I'd maybe grab one if they were like 30 bucks or less since Vader is by far and away my favorite unit in spite of not loving the promo sculpt, but I guess that was a little delusional.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

When you mention the snipers, you're talking about the two-man strike team?

Edit: Also, are there any units that are just straight up bad? I've not seen many good things about Wookiee Troopers.

Yeah snipers mean the two man strike team, which they actually just nerfed in their first pass with points balancing; https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/9/5/tactical-maintenance/
The meta has been to run two or three of these bastards since they provide some pretty consistent damage, suppression, board-wide control and an increased number of activations/order tokens. Bumping up the points and placing a range 5 limit on their rifles will hopefully result in people running maybe one to two as a supplementary support piece like they were intended.

Directly related to the points changes, previously the "bad" units were basically the launch vehicles which included the AT-ST, AT-RT, snowspeeder and speeder bikes. They really overcosted them and undervalued the important of instead just having more bodies on the field to play the objectives, and this balance pass also brings them in line pretty well. Wookies certainly aren't bad at all, but they can be hard to fit in rebel lists just because they tend to not want a lot of larger more expensive units, and instead want the bulk of their army to be slightly more quantity over quality. Tauntauns just dropped and so far seem to be unfortunately pretty overpowered with an insane action economy and versatility that lets them tie up the opponent's front line like nothing else, and as such are sort of eating the wookies' lunch right now. That said everything is ultimately viable and relatively well balanced overall when you don't approach it from an absolute min-max attitude. Stuff is more or less worth its point cost and can do work if played right.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm not sure about what type of resources are out there to help, but for what it's worth I've played pretty obsessively since launch and like talking about it whenever I get the chance.

A big chunk of the strategic element of the game is giving a lot of consideration to the command card and subsequent issued orders versus your randomized pool, which then flows into sequence of activation. What I've seen really commonly with newer players is that they don't realize how an exposed unit that was activated early is more or less dead meat. There tends to be an undervaluing of cover and other defensive elements like dodging or positioning sturdier guardian units nearby. More survivable units like heavy vehicles, creature troopers, and dudes with lightsabers are all good for punching into the enemy line but even then they need to be defensively minded as they advance. So as kind of just a cursory statement without having specifics about the battlefield setups or your armies, that's my broad blanket advice; Think more about preserving your guys and playing the objective and stuff will likely fall into place better. Those snowball-y deathmatch types games tend to stem from players making arbitrary moves and big swingy unit-wiping hits that you want to actively try and avoid with that more defensive play style. This is also going off of saying you don't see the value in a dodge or aim token. Every wound is pretty relevant when you've got units that range from 4 to 6 models, and there's a world of difference between one just standing there and one in heavy cover with a dodge token. Likewise with an aim token when you're the one taking the shot. You're right with standby though, it's a very situational action that you'll almost never want to use. All of that kind of just comes with experience though, and figuring out ideal sequencing and what to activate when and all that.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think the factions are well balanced at a high level of play, but also Rebels (and now droids) for sure are way less forgiving with the white defense dice. Red defense dice baseline allows for a good bit of slop, and I know personally that was a big part of what attracted me to imperials as my main army at first. Now that I'm in a place where I can comfortably say I'm "pretty good" I've been jonesing to flesh out my rebel stuff. If you're jumping in with rebels I would certainly say you're going in on hard mode and don't get discouraged.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think the landspeeder and GAVw tank both suffered from coming out really close to the points rebalancing pass for them to get critically looked at, cause they're both a little overcosted now. The tank at least can play the role of a slightly lighter-weight but slightly cheaper AT-ST at this point, but the speeder suffers from being in a position where you will almost always ask "why not just run tauntauns or an AT-RT?" But that's if you're being really min/max-y and meta, and also more of a symptom of tauntauns being really pushed in terms of design.

I like the look of it with the rifle gunner and medium blaster. With a little bit of foresight on your compulsory move and most turns will be just aiming and shooting. It's not too bad for a really mobile and hard to hit piece that can flank and bust up a gunline with offensive dice that would be about on par with your average kitted out troop unit. For laughs you can have Chewbacca with tenacity riding in it since he wants to get a little bit banged up on the ride in so he's enraged when he hops out.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah that's a pretty solid core lineup of units. I like to run Veers lean since he basically drops Maximum Firepower turn 1 then goes up midfield with the rest of the gunline to hand out aim tokens and take potshots. Krennic is a bigger fan of hanging back field and using all three of his command cards, so he's more likely to be giving out orders in general across the game. Shoretroopers are rock solid, and if you can afford the extra body it's good to do so. Every wound and attack die counts, and with the heavy weapon one big draw of shoretroopers is how dangerous an offensive dice pool they have even when a bunch of guys in the unit are dead. They also benefit from recon intel as a little filler card when possible due to the deployment rules of the mortar, which lets it get into position and start plonking shots a little quicker than usual. Overwatch is a pretty sub par card for two reasons; Standby is by far the least commonly used action in the game and extremely situational, and moreover the deathtroopers are all about staying put in cover and taking range 4 shots with the long rang config. Most of their turns will either be aim/shoot or recover/shoot. I also agree that the points changes and nature of how fights flow tend to make the AT-ST a better option than the tank overall, but the tank is still fine if you like it more.

Generally it's a good idea to be really deliberate with upgrade cards, and acknowledge when you could trim a lot of them down to fit in more bodies or potentially even another unit. It's tempting to fill those slots but a lot of times is not super efficient. Once you get accustomed to the units you can make those calls way easier as to what you personally wish they could do a little better, like sticking environmental gear on something you frequently find getting bogged down by difficult terrain or recon intel on something you want upfield a little bit quicker, etc. With what you own and being min/max-y about it here's roughly where I'd go:

General Veers (80 + 8 = 88)
--Electrobinoculars (8)

Director Orson Krennic (90 + 15 = 105)
--Strict Orders (5), Aggressive Tactics (10)

Stormtroopers (44 + 24 = 68)
--DLT-19 Stormtrooper (24)

Stormtroopers (44 + 24 = 68)
--DLT-19 Stormtrooper (24)

Shoretroopers (52 + 47 = 99)
--T-21B Trooper (32), Shoretrooper (13), Recon Intel (2)

DF-90 Mortar Trooper (36 + 0 = 36)

Imperial Death Troopers (76 + 44 = 120)
--DLT-19D Trooper (34), Recon Intel (2), E-11D Grenade Launcher Config (8)

AT-ST (170 + 45 = 215)
--First Sergeant Arbmab (5), 88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon (20), AT-ST Mortar Launcher (10), HQ Uplink (10)

Commands:
Maximum Firepower (1), Voracious Ambition (1), Push (2), Deploy the Garrison (2), Assault (3), Annihilation Looms (3), Standing Orders (4)

The imperial specialist box is definitely a good place to go from here since the officer is a great attachment for the shoretroopers instead of the extra generic guy, and the medical bot is always a feasible option to throw on any given unit for support. A box of scout troopers is also good since the 48 point sniper team is still powerful and great for squeezing in another solid activation when otherwise points might get a little awkward.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Droids are a good skirmish/secondary army because they are absurdly easy to paint. Conversely it took me about two and a half days of casual assembly just to put together the droid half of the new core set so pros and cons. I will probably never do clones because I cannot bring myself to paint any more stormtroopers, even if they do have blue accents or whatever.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I certainly hope they do tone down shores and mortars. They forgot to attach any kind of meaningful premium to such a huge amount of order token control and free aim/surge tokens doled out by the combo of a couple linked targeting arrays and aggressive tactics. They're already statistically rock solid without any of those keywords at all. Big picture wise on empire at this point really stormtroopers ought to be the ones with Target, shores with Precise, and snows with something to help them close the gap like Spur.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Rolling with Rex and not Obi gives you the advantage of being able to have a good solid number of activations, particularly in skirmish. Moreover having a couple upgrade packs gives you nice flexibility with hacking together three squads with whatever mixture of heavy weapons and extra dudes you please. And of course R2 is a neat piece as well as a cheap activation too.

I'd probably go with something like this;

Clone Captain Rex (90 + 10 = 100)
--Aggressive Tactics (10)

R2-D2 (35 + 15 = 50)
--C-3PO (15)

Phase I Clone Troopers (52 + 30 = 82)
--DC-15 Phase I Trooper (30)

Phase I Clone Troopers (52 + 30 = 82)
--DC-15 Phase I Trooper (30)

Phase I Clone Troopers (52 + 27 = 79)
--DP-23 Phase I Trooper (27)

BARC Speeder (75 + 18 = 93)
--BARC Twin Laser Gunner (18)

That's only 486, so there's room for whatever upgrades you like. The DC and DP are the clones standout heavy weapons, and the two DCs over multiple DPs are based around them being Rex's scouting party and the relative ease of getting stuff into range 2 on a skirmish table, but swap em out as you like. Could pop HQ uplink on R2 or the speeder for more activation consistency when you need it, and recon intel on Rex ain't bad.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

In skirmish snipers are notably less useful since they're way easier to get in range of and kill. Melee units are way more scary since they have an easier time getting into the thick of it and there's less total firepower on the board to focus into trying to bring down something like a lightsaber user quickly. Certain cards become tougher to use or less powerful; Vader's Darkness Descends is less useful since his speed isn't an issue on a small table, Veers and Leia's Maximum Firepower and Coordinated Bombardment respectively are more difficult to pull off efficiently since everything is so close, that kinda thing. Overall it makes close range tricks more feasible and effective, whether it's command card abilities or going for flamethrowers and shotguns on troopers instead of range 4 DLTs.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Anakin seems super hard to assess because he's a big bundle of keywords without the really defining explosive command cards that other lightsaber users have that enable them to have one or two really bonkers turns in a given game if played right. Moreover apparently the negative suppression elements of the permanent cards persist as well. With 3 courage, your opponent controlling the flaw card, and multiple effects that threaten to stack on extra suppression it seems like if you misstep with him at all then he's done for. Also two force slots with access to both light and dark side are gonna make for some tough loadout choices. You can definitely tell they went hard on the theme of him being poised to fall.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah I didn't care about Vader or Obi but this Luke is really nice. Hopefully it being an in-person thing at LGSs mean it'll be reasonable to get.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Over the last couple years of Legion existing I've been really impressed by Alex Davy and Luke Eddy. Davy in particular, being the creator and more on the spot for interviews and questions, came across as genuinely caring about the game and demonstrated a pretty deep appreciation for good design and balance with his citation of other specific board games and other wargames. I've always maintained that while the IP is obviously a big draw for a lot of people, Legion legitimately encompasses a lot of components of elegant and modern design that leads to a fairly clean game that's very tactical and satisfying to play. With the transition I'm hinging a lot of my expectations on confirmation as to whether or not those guys are part of the group of "key members involved in the creation and evolution" of the game moving studios. Basically if Davy's going along with his game I'm optimistic, and if he's axed then I'm extremely worried. There's a really brilliant game underneath the surface here that was gaining a lot of momentum pre-pandemic, and I want it to stick around.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah, gonna go ahead and take that pessimistic stance. Obviously it's a pretty cold and sterile bullshit capitalist move you'd expect from Asmodee for short-term profit and more importantly for people's well being, but that initial AMG Q&A letter didn't exactly inspire confidence either. It may be that pessimism tinting the lens on it, but it reads less to me like they're saying "we intend to adhere to the design ethos and system that's been handed to us faithfully," and more like "well we've got this now and are gonna do whatever we feel like with it." Moreover I may just be reading too much into a hastily made fairly generic statement that they had to rush out.

Either way, I hope Davy stays within the realm of creating minis games and will absolutely be on the ground floor for anything new he spearheads.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

In lighter news the fresh out of the oven RRG update seems to be essentially nothing but positive. The expected clone standby sharing nerf alongside tons of basic rule tweaks and points reductions at first blush seems to make a lot of older stuff newly viable. There's a lot to parse here.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/11/19/updated-mission-parameters/

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah both imperial large vehicles benefit a ton from going nuts with weathering and distinct edge highlighting and drybrushing to make them pop since both their stock color schemes are fairly monochromatic. Either that or go for rebel style colorful racing stripes and accents to break things up.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I tend to lean more towards mechanics and competitiveness with tabletop stuff I play and have found myself in the company of some of the more super serious individuals and groups for Legion and overall I think it's a pretty friendly and at worst inoffensive community even at that level. Moreover I feel like they did a pretty good job with the newest rules reference. Previously there were absolutely boxes of stuff I would say are your stereotypical wargame "trap" options, but now that's not really the case. The gotcha moments from a mechanical perspective now come from a couple of fundamental elements of list building, which I view as being overloading units with upgrade cards and not understanding the value of activation count. Even what people would consider a sub-tier 1 list is most likely fairly viable if it has 9+ activations and nothing super weird about it.

Honestly if we want to talk about the hopeful side of how the game progresses, I think I would really like to see some sort of mechanism to mitigate low activation count. Similar to an initiative bid, which was also a huge component of X-Wing, I don't feel like that angle of trying to balance activation count/initiative versus power level of a given unit is a meaningful or fun component of the strategy in list building. I would love to feel like I'm not doing something wrong by building a list that's below 10 activations (clones kinda excluded) because that really would blow higher level list building way wider open.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think War Corgi is a pretty good youtube channel. Fairly low key and PG rated, which can sometimes be a little hokey but endearing. They flub some minor rules stuff in earlier videos but pretty quickly got good about getting mechanics right while still sticking to an ethos about generally playing less than top tier lists/showcasing under utilized units.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Cad can hop to his "Here I Am" token per your decision as opposed to a nearby enemy triggering it too. The RRG words it as "At the start of any round, starting with the blue player, a player may reveal a friendly Here I Am token and resolve it." One of his articles clarifies that timing a little further with "at the start of any command phase without the enemy having to trigger it."

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Hey ive recently started miniature painting and was considering collecting some Legion stuff. My big problem there is idk if I want to pick up that much terrain; and from what I've seen it's pretty important to the game. Can you make do with flat area terrain (including pretending it blocks LOS) or does it just not work?

Flat terrain would work without too much issue. At the start you clarify what is designated as light, heavy or LOS blocking. Similarly you'd need to state how high a given piece of terrain is since a fairly meaningful element is elevation for the sake of units with mobility keywords like jump and scale, units you basically want to perch up high with long range ability like snipers, or for repulsor vehicles that can traverse terrain up to a certain height.

Otherwise you can do the typical budget wargaming thing and throw a few small cardboard boxes and cans on the table alongside a handful of the starter set standard barricades and call it good to go. A tangential suggestion would be something like those Infinity scenery kits that are a bunch of collapsible boxes that aren't too pricey and take up almost no storage space.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Nash posted:

What core troops do most people fill out their Rebel lists with? I have two basic rebels from the starter but didn’t know if people did a mix of veterans and fleet mixed in or one choice is considered a lot better than others.

Fleets aren't bad but you don't see them as much in full size games compared to skirmish where it's significantly easier to get up close. Rebels see a decent mixture of veterans and regular old troopers along with a mixture of heavy weapons and attachment choices since they're all fairly valid. Due to baseline black dice on offense and no major way of improving white defense you're perfectly good to run either completely naked, and that's probably actually more common than not. Since rebels revolve a little more around their heroes and special units to do the heavy lifting they tend to keep the corps choices basic and flexible. The short answer is genuinely use whatever you like that also makes your points fit together well.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

What's frustrating is that it feels incredibly hard to gauge where things are at still. I hate how AMG is trickling out stuff on social media instead of doing distinct, clear articles and news on their website like they're doing for their Marvel stuff and like what FFG did. It just feels like they're going through the motions of putting forth FFG's work, and so still waiting on stuff like the supposed website redesign and content that is distinctly AMG developed basically makes everything feel like it's in stasis. That of course is in conjunction with sanctioned events having been (understandably) preemptively canceled for 2021, so gameplay remains down across the board outside of the diehards doing TTS and a few really specific in person events. I guess my point is just that so far I feel like there hasn't been meaningful affirmation by AMG that they're going to be good stewards of this thing.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Operative Luke is ridiculously fun though. His array of keywords and command cards make him a murder pinball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Would someone mind helping me write a list that uses the models I currently own? I don't really know anything about the game and I purchased stuff that looks cool and was available.

Currently I own

Palpatine
Darth Vader
General Veers
Imperial Officer + comms guy + medical droid + other droid

1x snowtroopers unit
1x e-web heavy blaster team
2x stormtroopers unit
1x royal guards unit
1x speeder bikes unit
1x at-st

That's not a bad spread of stuff for Empire. The only thing that trips up list building with that spread is that it's a little difficult to get to 9 activations, and not really possible to do 10 reasonably which is ultimately a meta thing not worth worrying about too much. You've got three big centerpieces with Vader, Palpatine and the AT-ST. I've always been a big fan of Veers plus another big point sink like Vader or Palp for an opening turn of a good Maximum Firepower, then Veers just hanging out with the backline troops while the force user takes center stage from thereon. The generic officer is totally valid in place of veers for saving some points though. That said though, I'd probably wind up taking it one of two ways:

799/800
9 Activations

Darth Vader (Dark Lord of the Sith) 190 + 25 = 215
--Saber Throw (5), Force Reflexes (5), Force Push (10), Vigilance (5)
Imperial Officer 45

Stormtroopers 44

Stormtroopers 44 + 20 = 64
--DLT-19 Stormtrooper (20)
Snowtroopers 44 + 20 = 64
--Flametrooper (20)
Imperial Royal Guards 69

74-Z Speeder Bikes 70 + 5 = 75
--Long-Range Comlink (5)
E-Web Heavy Blaster Team 55 + 3 = 58
--Barrage Generator (3)
AT-ST 155 + 10 = 165
--88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon (10)

This one is 9 activations with a couple really lean choices, specifically the one unit of naked Stormtroopers which would be more for holding a backfield objective, as well as the naked Royal Guard, which are still a really solid physical stat line/melee beatstick and bodyguard unit for Vader and he marches upfield even without the extra model or and upgrades. The AT-ST would also like to have another gun and the Hammer pilot that gives it surge to hit. It's not a huge deal though as it's still a big scary moving gun that you can't ignore however you load it out. Overall it's a list that bears down with a couple intimidating pieces pretty quickly.

Other way to go would be 8 activations with stuff more kitted out:

800/800
8 Activations

Darth Vader (Dark Lord of the Sith) 190 + 25 = 215
--Saber Throw (5), Force Reflexes (5), Force Push (10), Vigilance (5)
Stormtroopers 44 + 16 = 60
--HH-12 Stormtrooper (16)
Stormtroopers 44 + 20 = 64
--DLT-19 Stormtrooper (20)
Snowtroopers 44 + 20 = 64
--Flametrooper (20)
Imperial Royal Guards 69 + 25 = 94
--Electrostaff Guard (21), Tenacity (4)
74-Z Speeder Bikes 70 + 5 = 75
--Long-Range Comlink (5)
E-Web Heavy Blaster Team 55 + 3 = 58
--Barrage Generator (3)
AT-ST 155 + 15 = 170
--88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon (10), AT-ST Mortar Launcher (5)

Either way, Palpatine swaps out point wise fairly cleanly with Vader however you spin it. Similarly Veers can be swapped for either the Royal Guards or the Speeders most likely if you feel like you want his Maximum Firepower card and a backup lightweight gunslinger commander for when Vader/Palp inevitably bite it late game. If you go in on anything else a box of Shoretroopers goes an incredibly long way in tightening up the core of Empire lists, as does a box of scouts primarily for the two model sniper strike team due to its cheap cost versus effectiveness and ability to hold a back objective while also contributing meaningful shots. Your current pool of stuff is a solid spread, but a couple of cheap options to get things both well fleshed out and either at 9 or 10 activations would be huge in opening up some more choice for you. Vigilance should be the only upgrade card that technically didn't come with your stuff but anybody who doesn't let you proxy upgrade cards probably isn't worth playing against to begin with.