Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I really hope somewhere local does the launch weekend event for this/officially supports it. Nowhere has it listed on their website yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is this going to be WYSIWIG like Warhammer? Do the AT-ST weapons snap-in or should I look into magnetizing?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know basically any tackle box or plano box will work, but is there a particular make or brand of token case you guys would recommend? Preferably one I can order online in Canada? It seems like there's a bunch of stuff to keep organized in this game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I really hope future releases have cooler upgrades in them. Right now I'm pretty underwhelmed with the non-trooper upgrades to the Infantry units. Even knowing they're impact 5 or whatever, the grenade upgrade seems pretty bad imo.

I've been messing around with the army builder and came up with this:

Luke /w Battle Meditation and Force Reflexes (185)
5x Rebel Troopers /w Z-6 and Extra Trooper (5x72= 360)
3x AT-RT /w Rotary Blaster (3x85= 255)

Lots of bodies to grab objectives, and I'm hoping the sheer number of dice is enough to deal with armor.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I didn't realize so few dice were provided in the starter box. Hopefully all the stores near here don't sell out.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I was considering doing that just to bulk up on troops, but I read that the starter box doesn't come with all the upgrade cards.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is a second core set even going to be enough dice to resolve an attack in one go if you're using the chaingun guy in a Trooper squad?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The vast majority of games I've seen people play on Youtube didn't play with objectives so it was just two gunlines rolling dice at each other. I'm hoping that objectives and the terrain rules will spice things up a lot and encourage actual movement.

Failing that, I'm certain future releases will do a lot to make the two factions feel different. I don't know much about Star Wars Lore but those bears from Return of the Jedi could easily be written to have ambush or deep strike rules.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 8, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I want the soldier droids from the prequel trilogy so I can field a horde army.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Jar Jar Binks commander would be sick, especially if the pushed his power level and made him a tournament staple.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Selling new missions could be cool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does Force Push let you push a whole squad or just one model?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I bought a whole bunch of crates off Etsy and I figure I'll be able to combine them into basically any kind of terrain I need. There's no rules for forests or swamps or anything, right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Funzo posted:

Not specifically. Just generic rules for elevation and line of sight.

Okay, so it might be boring but I'll be able to make a playable board just using cubes.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

You could do that, or you could make a modular Battle of Jakuu table with the bulk of the table taken up by an overturned, smoldering AT-AT and crashed starfighters for the guys to clamber over. :colbert:

I've played like several hundred games of Warmachine using circles of green and brown foam to represent hills and forests so my imagination is so rawly powerful I probably don't even need to buy minis to play with.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

shoplifter posted:

Am I better off buying two starters or one and filling other stuff in? Not sure on what upgrade cards may or may not be in the starter that are in the trooper boxes. I did read that in true FFG fashion, there aren't enough dice in the box.

Sorry for the stupid question.

The infantry boxes come with upgrade cards for Grappling Hooks (probably useless) and Impact Grenades (might be good) that don't come in the starter set.

These upgrade cards are also going to be available in the Fleet Trooper and Snow Trooper boxes.

I'm not sure if the AT-RT or Bike boxes come up cards that aren't in the starter set, but probably.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Isn't less than 30 pounds about right for the ATST? It's like 60 Canadian.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

Lol at the fact that they're clearly trying not to show the Han model's face. The Luke model's face actually looks pretty good -- how did they gently caress up Han so badly?

For everyone who's gotten their hands on Legion stuff so far: what's the general consensus on the quality of the figures when compared to other plastic mini manufacturers? Some of the pictures I've seen of the figures (not the vehicles, which generally seem to look good) make the average model quality look decent, but then other times they just look janky. Is it consistent at least?

I had some gaps and there are some minor mold lines, but it's not any worse than the average PP plastic set imo.

I really like the looks of that alien commando unit. I wish more of the Rebel guys were aliens, I want to run a whole squad of the blue guy.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 23, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cobaltshift posted:

So with there being limited unit types at launch, are people finding game play/list builds a bit straight forward, or is there plenty of variation to be found in the first wave alone?

Lists kind of build themselves right now because the mandatory guys (Vader and Luke) are so expensive and there are only like 3 other options.

I think Leia and the new Imperial general guy are going to do a lot for opening up list building. An AT-ST is a lot more palatable when you have an extra trooper squad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

IMO the biggest things this game needs are:

1. Units that don't just shoot stuff. IDK enough about Star Wars lore to come up with anything, but every single infantry unit that's been spoiled is just a variant on a squad of fragile one wound dudes with guns. Some melee focused guys or some really tough big guys (think along the lines medium based infantry in WMH) would be rad.

2. More abilities like Force Push that manipulate the board.

This one is a lot harder to do, but I think the game could also really use more factions with their own distinct identities. All the other miniatures games I've played you can point to each army and be like "ok this is the _____ army they like shooting, or this is the ______ army and they like melee." I know this isnt' a very fair complaint because the game has only been out for a day, but right now the two factions feel really samey.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 23, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Where is the second handle for the AT-RT in the starter kit? The one that isn't being held by the guy riding it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

StuG Jeebus posted:

It's supposed to be in the bag with the Skywalkers, but a lot of people are reporting it missing, so if you can't find it there or on the floor under your workbench: https://parts.asmodeena.com/partsrequests/

Yea that page won't even load for me so I assume they're getting hammered for requests.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Interesting early feedback, please keep it coming!

I actually *like* the idea of things like the AT-ST being hard to deal with. The Empire *should* be big and nasty and hard to deal with. Same for the Rebels needing to use cover and avoid being caught in open fire fights.

Are some of you seeing this as something that needs to be perfectly symmetrical and balanced for tournament play? Maybe it is better for casual or narrative type play? Certainly great to be able to officially support all of the various forms of play (GW seems to be trying that more and more), but maybe one is simply a better 'fit' than the others.

Looking forward to seeing more and more options. Curious what the Imperial response to Han and the Commandos will be. Dismounted scouts? Death Troopers?

It would be pretty dumb of FF to make a game that can't be played fairly at a competitive level because of lore reasons lol.

I haven't had a chance to play against or with the AT-ST yet, but in the few games I've played the Rebels seemed okay. The AT-RT with the rotary gun is an incredible value. Three of those and five squads running the chain gun is a humongous amount of dice.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You know those Army Painter color primers? Is there any reason I can't simulate using one of those by airbrushing colored Army Painter paints onto my minis, or do I have to use a designated primer first?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The more I use the Ion gun the more unimpressed with it I am. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a shift toward getting rid of exhausting anti-tank stuff in the future.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

After playing a few 800pt games I kind of appreciate how small the game is compared to WMH or 40k. The only bummer is that if they release more cool vehicles (are there any tanks in Star Wars?) you probably won't be able to run a lot of them at the same time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ok Rebel boys, what sort of lists are you guys running now? Here's what I'm going to take to my league tomorrow night:

Luke
-Reflexes
-Push

6x Troopers with extra guy and Z6.
2x AT-RT with Laser Cannon.

I haven't had a chance to play with the laser cannon yet, but I'm hoping it's good against the AT-ST.

I think that load out on Luke is basically going to be what I always take. Reflexes is obviously amazing, and I've always been very impressed with Push in every game I've taken it.

I haven't had a chance to play with six full squads yet, but I think it is going to be quite strong. Just having more cheap bodies to hold objectives and tie up enemy units in combat seems good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does someone have the odds of each dice face for all 5 dice? I think I know what they are but I want to make a cheat sheet thing to tape onto my box before heading to league night tonight and I don't have my stuff with me.

imperialparadox posted:

I haven't played much yet either, but I was thinking the concussion grenades would be useful against cover, especially against Imperial speeders with their inherent cover 1. (In my last match the Imperial player had two squads of speeders in my back line harassing my infantry, they were annoying to deal with).

It just seems like getting within range 1 to kill a unit behind cover is a good way to lose that unit on their response. Considering how strapped we are for points options, spending points on the chaingun to get volume of fire seems like a better investment imo.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Man, it is insane how much better Luke is than Vader. Like, even if they cost the same I would probably lean Luke just for how good his gun is. I play Luke like a Warmachine caster and just keep him hanging back getting safe value from his gun until I can commit him late game to clear an objective or something.

I've also adjusted my anti AT-ST strategy to just ignoring it.

Until they add more stuff I think the list I'm going to work with is:

Luke /w Reflexes and Push
6x Rebel Infantry + Trooper + Scopes
3x Rotary AT-RTs, two of them with long range comms.

You get a 3 point bid, tons of resilient scoring bodies, and some decently consistent shooting.

fadam fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 30, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've only painted my squad leaders, but I'm doing red shirt and hat, grey pants. The squad leader's coat is blue to make him stand out.

I'm a pretty bad painter so I'm keeping it really basic and just going for tabletop quality. Army Painter Dark Shade is a magic elixir.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Veers seems very strong. Spotter seems like an amazing ability.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I hope Leia's command hand is really ownage. With the current selection of units available even though she's cheaper than Luke, he might be the better value simply because there isn't a whole lot to spend the extra points on (it's fairly easy to max out on AT-RTs and Troopers and still take Luke, and the speeder isn't very good imo). Luke on his own might be better and have more of an impact on a game than Leia and a bunch of heavy weapons upgrades for your squads. It's too bad that the commando dudes are dropping with Han, because I could see them being a good use of the bonus points actually.

Veers is going to be a game changer for imps for sure. Vader isn't worth 200 points imo.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 3, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yea I can't compare to X-Wing, but you can get an incredibly competitive list for dirt cheap in this game compared to WMH. Even if you don't trade, a core, 4 more units of troopers and 2 more AT-RTs is like what, 250 Canadian?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Deviant posted:

Am I confused, or is Darth Vader in the learning game with no powers really bad? He didn't seem to have any mitigation beyond deflect, and I was just throwing dice and hoping they stuck.

I think he's just really bad, period. Its too hard to get value out of him without risking him getting sniped, and Son of Skywalker lets Luke remove him for free almost in late game.

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 6, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Take it as cheap as possible (maybe take Wedge) and pray you don't get any of the capture and hold missions imo.

I think it's really overcosted right now. I've never seen anyone get their points back from it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sabre throw is basically necessary if you want to get any of his value back. Force Reflexes is okay and can help you live through a SoS turn, and there's not a whole lot else to spend points on right now so there's no real reason to not take it. Battle Meditation is very nice if you're taking the bikes.

I've played around with Force Push quite a bit on Luke (I've only played Vader during a tutorial game) and while I liked it at first, I've grown colder on it and don't take it any more. It's probably better on Vader because it gives you a threat extension to get into melee, but in practice I think doing that is rarely a smart decision because Vader is typically just going to get shot to death right after.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 17, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Deviant posted:

Long Range Commlink does the same as Battle Meditation for the bikes, though, yes?

Yeah, but if you're running multiples BM lets you order any of your bikes. It's also very clutch with the card that lets your guys deepstrike.

I think spending a force slot on BM is better value than putting long range comms on multiple bikes.

My hot take is that if people continue to take the expensive force guys after Leia/Veers/Han/whoever get released, it will be because BM makes the game a lot easier to play and really gives you extra flexibility.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Hello, I'm super hyped to play this and should be getting my first game in tonight. I'm leaning Rebels so far since most of the locals have leaned into Imperials. I've checked the OP and saw the list builder and some other resources. Where should I check for previews of new models and release schedule? I know FF has https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/ but it's kind of vague to when stores will receive models

Oh and where can I look for the new hot meta lists? So I know what I'm facing against with the eventual netdeckers

fadam, you seem to be the most vocal Rebel player around. Could you explain why you've fallen out of favor with Force Push and what your list looks like now? I'm hesitant to buy more than 4 units of standard Rebel Troopers as the Fleet Troopers are hopefully coming out soon

Force Push was fun during week one because people weren't used to it so it was really easy and funny to move a unit out of cover/scoring and blow it up. Unfortunately, once people know you have Force Push, it's pretty easy to play around it. It's pretty hard to get value out of a range 1 move 1, especially if you want to protect your commander afterward. Luke can only take two force powers, and I love Battle Meditation and kind of like Force Reflexes, so getting rid of push was a pretty easy cut. It's probably better on Vader than Luke because Luke has a really good gun so you can do a lot of work by just hiding behind cover and shooting stuff until you need to bring him in late game to instantly Son of Skywalker an enemy scoring unit away.

Right now my list is:
Luke /w Battle Meditation, Force Reflexes, Scopes

6x Rebel Troopers /w Extra Trooper, Scopes

3x AT-RT /w Laser Cannon

Comes out to 797. For some reason all the Imp players here always bullseye the 800pt mark so it's nice being almost guaranteed priority.

Basically this list aims to win on scenario. Run all your dudes up, hide behind cover (make sure you do the minigame at the beginning where you fill 1/4 of the table with terrain then take turns putting it down, Rebels absolutely need tons of cover), and use your huge volume of fire to eliminate as many scoring units (I know everything can score, but it's hard to get bikes and the AT-ST in position so I don't really prioritize them) as you can. If they're running an AT-ST and you're playing either of the scenarios where you have to hold objectives by outnumbering them, you basically win for free because even if they lay into you you're almost guaranteed to have more unit leaders to score with during all the scoring phases.

Some notes:
-Against Imps the only card you really don't want to see is the one where you deploy on the short table edges. The AT-ST getting a free turn of shooting helps it a lot.

-Pretend like you're playing Warmachine and if you lose Luke, you lose the game. He's powerful in the late game(especially on turns 5 and 6 when you can instantly delete something using Son of Skywalker), and his orders are very useful, so you want to keep him alive as long as possible. Only get into melee if he'll be safe after, if you're getting a huge point swing (trading for Vader is worth it imo), or if it's the last turn and you don't really care if he lives or not.

-With crit surge the chain gun is probably objectively better on the AT-RT than the laser cannon in terms of damage output, but I like the longer range and consistency. I also don't want to magnetize more stuff yet.

-It's tempting to dump all your guns into the AT-ST because of how expensive it is, but I've found that just leaving it alone is the best strategy. You're almost guaranteed to get more ahead on scenario (the only thing that matters) if you took the 3-4 rounds of shooting it takes to kill the AT-ST and put it toward eliminating their better scoring units. With my list you're playing with 10 scoring guys, all of whom love to stand still and aim. Any imp list with an AT-ST is playing with like six-ish? Some of which are bikes and are a pain in the rear end to score with? If you eliminate one of their squads you're at a huge advantage.

-There's not enough stuff to spend points on, so scopes are fine. I think scopes on all your guys is better than adding a weapon to a squad. When Leia comes out, I'll probably squeeze a Z6 or two in where I can.

On paper I think the fleet troopers seem pretty lovely, but they might play a lot better than they look. It's going to take a lot to make me want to move off of six troopers for my core, though.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 18, 2018