Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thundercloud posted:

Yeah, bounty hunters and scum would definitely get me picking this up.

So are the expansions that are duplicates of the starter set different, with the standard FFG different upgrade cards model, or are they the same?

Getting two starters at £70 each seems like it would give you 800 points (checked, does with rebels). Since the expansions are £25 with shipping, wanting three extra of any of the core stuff justifies getting two core games.

Anyone played it yet?

Each expansion has one or two cards that aren't in the core set, but they're the same across faction so like Stormtroopers and Rebel Troopers both have the same new cards, and so do the Speeder Bikes and AT-RTs. Digging around the extra cards don't seem that great, so they aren't giving me a ton of incentive to buy the standalone boxes at launch. They do have different poses, if you care about that.

I think right now I'm ending up with 2 cores, Snowspeeder and AT-ST. The Empire list that lets you build isn't great, but I don't want to end up buying a ton of units at launch that end up never coming out of storage later, like happened with X-Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

One of the first things I bought when I got into X-Wing 4 1/2 years ago was 4 Y-Wings, and I still use all of them regularly.

Shame about the A-Wings I got though

Yeah, I had a lot of A-Wings and Tie Interceptors taking up shelf space for a while.

Ugleb posted:

Personally I'd hesitate to double up on stuff too quickly. For one thing FFG are probably keeping higher stock levels of this in the pipeline as they expect high level of interest, plus as more releases come through the meta won't just be limited to the core box plus 3 other things per side for long.

My problem right now is that, unless you want to load up with vehicles, it looks like you need around 4 or 5 units of troops per side in an 800 point game. To that end I'm getting 2 cores (also for the extra dice and templates and such), but the other route I was considering was just playing small until Snowtroopers and Fleet Troopers get released. They have a different enough niche from Stormtroopers/Rebel Troopers since they have more of an offensive focus, and I'm pretty sure most armies are going to want to run some mixture of the two.

I need to look up a release date for the next wave of releases before I put down my preorder, if it's just like a month I might just go with a single core and focus on painting until they're out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

fadam posted:

I didn't realize so few dice were provided in the starter box. Hopefully all the stores near here don't sell out.

You just gotta buy 2 or 3 starter boxes, problem solved

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The clone wars set is going to get me playing this game, but I think I'll wait until there are more than two units out. I had some friends get burned with the original starter that way.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ugleb posted:

Burned how? Got bored from repitition or bought too many of the basic units at launch?

Both, honestly. I think they went overboard trying to do big games from the start and then for a while all they had were the starters and the wave with Snowtroopers in it and they were very disappointed.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It sure would be nice if... basically anything was in stock anywhere. I didn't realize that one core set wouldn't even get me halfway to an army for the Imperials and I don't really want a second core since I don't see myself running 4 speeder bikes or 4 squads of stormtroopers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Froghammer posted:

I've been waiting around four months stateside

Why? I got two off of amazon last week.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I said come in! posted:

So, I bought the Clone Wars Core Set but wanted to make sure, is there enough in that box for two people to play together? Or is there anything extra I might need, or want to add later on the two factions included? Looking forward to painting these figures as well.

There's enough to play a skirmish mode game, but you don't have enough core units or points to play 800 v 800.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/a2/7c/a27ca34a-465b-4210-8949-0436062d1064/star_wars_legion_skirmish.pdf

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Funzo posted:

Finally got my hands on the Clone Wars core box. I know the clone troopers are the older plastic that needs superglue, but the droids can go together with plastic cement, like 40k stuff right?

Yep!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Funzo posted:

Ok, that's what I thought.
Also, words cannot adequately express how much I hate putting these droids together.

I did one squad and decided that separatists will be my last army, if I ever even get around to them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oh, I know it...but I’m done painting clones for a while :suicide:

Beyond painting fatigue, good luck finding a box of Phase 2's anywhere, ever

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, I would say that by far the biggest con right now for separatists is that unless you get really lucky and find a box of B2s somewhere, the only units you're going to have access to are what comes in the core box + Dooku. The clone side of the core is pretty solid but they have the same problem of access to units. I think Droid tanks and Rex are still sorta easy to find.

Separatists are also super spammy right now, so if you don't like the horde style they don't have much else to offer.

The cons for the original core are that Speeder Bikes are pretty awful, but they'll do while you don't have anything else. There are plenty of things out to replace them with. The rebel side of the core is OK but doesn't make up much of an army, points-wise. They also have tons of available options.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

who fuckin knows at this point, they're not shipping anything right now and they have delays at the best of times.

I like the look of the Republic AT-RTs but I already have 3 for the rebels so I'm no no rush to get them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Owlbear Camus posted:

A lot of the people braying when the update first dropped said they were going to protest this great injustice by making whole armies of just LOS sillhouette markers.

Making my dollies look bad to own the FFG.

So what kind of glue do I have to get so this supposedly amazing and miraculous upgraded plastic bonds?

Plastic glue, I like Tamiya extra thin.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Basically everything that's come out since you stopped playing is great. Shoretroopers were THE thing for a while, but they got nerfed a bit so they're not as must-take anymore.

My favorite units to run that you don't have are probably scout troopers, since you can run a sniper team.

The emperor and royal guard make for fun gimmick lists.

edit: Since you have 4 squads of stormtroopers you probably want 1 or 2 stormtrooper upgrade sets, if you still want to run armies based around them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They're not in limbo. ARCs are impossible to find, though, have been since day 1.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, a lot of competitive ("competitive", considering very few people can play right now) Legion lists trend toward spamming the most effective units they can, which is why you get people saying you need to buy like 3 boxes of ARC Troopers or whatever. I'm not a fan but I do hope it'll change as more units come out.

I picked up Anakin and Darth Maul yesterday, they're both fantastic models. No idea what kind of list to build around them, but they're super cool.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 6, 2020

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It is exceedingly unlikely wookies become corps unless they add an age of sigmar esque "this unit becomes corps with this general rule.

Its exciting to see what happens. As a rebel player wookies have been my favorite spec forces

People are speculating that one of the cards in the box turns them into corps, but that seems a bit baseless to me, IDK.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wasn't sure if the Magna Guard were supposed to be coming out with the Wookiees but I guess they would've announced them already.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I want to give a full unit of ARCs Relentless pretty bad

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

StashAugustine posted:

where are the Bothans

Dead.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I wanted to get this, mostly to do Jedi stuff or Mandalorian stuff, which one should I get?

I watched something that said for certain things you want like 3 core sets and I just balked lol

Rebels (the original core set) gets you Clan Wren, Sabine Wren, and Luke Skywalker. This is where all the Mandalorians are in the game at this point, but eventually there will be a Shadow Collective box that has late-era Darth Maul and his mandos. The box coming with the Empire also gives you Darth Vader and The Emperor.

Republic (clone wars core set) gets you Obi Wan, Anakin and Yoda for Jedi, but no mandos. Some of the clones are aesthetically close. The starter box coming with Separatists lets you take Count Dooku, Darth Maul (from the phantom menace) and Grevious for jedi/lightsaber action.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So lets say I go rebels, and go halvsies on the core box, and go for rebels, and buy the max amount of Clan Wren, and a coworker goes for Imperial, what else would I need for a “full” team?

I would just assume to get whatever might be fun for an 800pt setup (which seems like a lot less units than something like GW overall for such a high # of points)

I guess I’d go for luke then for the jedi, I skimmed the others and it looks like there’s not much jedi

You have to have minimum 3 "corps" units so you'd need either a 3rd unit of rebel troopers to compliment the 2 in the core set, rebel veterans or fleet troopers. After that just get whatever you want, I'd go with Sabine Wren and then whatever else you think looks cool and isn't in the same troop category as mandos (so no commandos, pathfinders or wookiies).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The Shadow Collective stuff along with the handful of new supplemental physical products have all been listed on Asmodee's store page for a couple days, though there's still not a lot of concrete info on the actual cards and stat lines.

https://shop.asmodee.com/star-wars-legion-5-shadow-collective-mercenary-swl90en

Seems as though a gimmick of theirs is they kind of benefit from non-directly issued orders and have a couple mechanisms to gain/retain green tokens to compensate for that lack on control. Overall I'm still a little unclear on how the whole thing works, but as best I can tell is that it's not a full fledged faction but rather a battleforce that has to be run more or less as "The Shadow Collective," and then the various units contained within also have standard miniature wargame style mercenary rules where they'll work for certain other factions.

I think you're mostly right, but there's also this dude:

https://shop.asmodee.com/star-wars-legion-5-gar-saxon-swl93en

so I don't know if there's more of a faction there or if battleforces give you some flexibility in slots to pick different commanders or whatever.

edit: If the contents of this starter box are the same as the contents of the three individual unit boxes, picking up a couple copies of the starter seems to be the definite way to go, especially if you can find it at a discount

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 7, 2022

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chill la Chill posted:

So how’s the Ewoks coming along? Need them and Chewie on an ATST. I wouldn’t say no to a couple porgs though

They haven't said anything since announcing that they are coming to the game eventually. I think they're doing another ministravaganza soon so that's when I'd expect news about all this stuff.

edit: it's in June so not THAT soon

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 14, 2022

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

At least B1s paint up fast!

Or so I hear, I got so frustrated that I never finished a squad and now I just play clones

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

StashAugustine posted:

CIS looks boring but efficient, Rebels look super fun, Imperials not as good but there's definitely some fun there, GAR is not looking great. Which tbf is about how the factions are looking in general right now

I'm into the new stormtroopers, I wish more of the battleforces had special units like that

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Foolster41 posted:

So what is a battleforce? I was thinking it was just a starter set, but it looks like it has it's own rules, but what is the benefit to sticking to a specific set of units? Is it just you can use the custom command cards?

Different unit type limits from the normal forces and the custom command cards. The Empire one also has different Stormtroopers you can use.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Strangest Finch posted:

Awesome, thanks. I've got basically no idea what I'm doing re:list making. But getting the strike team on the board would let me have an extra activation, which seems to be something to shoot for.

Yeah, strike teams are used to pad out activation counts in a ton of lists, particularly in Rebels and Empire.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do they have Delta Squad in game officially yet?

Unless there's a card I'm totally blanking on, they've just got Rex, Echo and Fives as far as named clones go.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"Delta Squad included RC-1138, RC-1140, RC-1207, and RC-1262—informally known as "Boss", "Fixer", "Sev", and "Scorch", respectively."

Right, I was saying I don't think they're in the game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A bunch of lists I've seen want like 4 Pykes which makes me extremely not interested in playing them

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

A bunker I made for terrain, definitely messed up and drybrushed way too hard, but it looks fine at tabletop.

Around here we call that weathering. Love the detail on the stormtrooper backpack too.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think frog and magic hand come on the sprue and soup baby is some kind of store promo.

This is correct, my store had a thing up about how the first... I think 24 preorders get soup baby

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What do you guys do for card/token storage but for misers like me

They're in a tupperware bin unless I have them out for an army, in which case the cards are in these pages: https://ultimateguard.com/en/Binders-Albums/Pages/UGD010495/ and the tokens are in a different, smaller tupperware bin

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Echo Base defenders box would be a good pickup for you, everything in that box is on your list of stuff to buy and you can make a pretty decent army out of it. I wouldn’t get the Wookiees or the fleet troopers unless you’re buying enough to spam them or you’re getting a speeder truck to transport them, otherwise it’s likely they’ll just get shot trying to get across the board.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That'll get me some dupe C3P0/R2D2 if I decide to get the Crashed Escape Pod, though.

I would not recommend getting the Crashed Escape Pod unless you just really like the terrain, the Echo Base set would be a much better way to get the characters out of it and a bunch of other stuff you want besides.

The other boxes that come with scenarios (Vital Assets etc) would be a much higher priority for me since they have a big effect on gameplay, but you can always just print those cards off and use tokens for the objectives if you'd like to play with them without spending the cash.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hipster Occultist posted:

As a Rebel player, it feels real good seeing all my lists go up by 18-22 points because they hosed up with Pykes.

Let me wipe all my tears over pyke spam getting worse

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’m not really interested until a battleforce box comes out but they look pretty alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Cool, wanted to make sure. Like I said, that’s the best use I’ve seen for ARCs…but Rex does the same, can shoot twice via gunslinger, and (if you play the right card) have fire support on both shots and crush 2 of your opponent’s activations :getin:

Even a strike team of ARCs clocks in near what a basic Phase II squad would cost, and the Phase II squad can fire support/generate surge tokens just for existing.

The sad aftermath of a round of nerfs after ARC strike teams were a huge thing for a while