Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Why are their heads so big?

(Looks like a cool game. I’ll probably pick up the core set... and everything else.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Just read the movement rules in the LTP. What happens if somebody moves their AT-ST into a wall, or close enough that the movement tool won’t fit in the front, it stays there for the rest of the game?

Edit:
Nevermind, they can apparently pivot. Which makes sense, but is much less funny.

vvv: Ah, reverse as well. Cool beans.

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 17, 2018

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Pretty sure Davy said that it's a conscious decision to only host the rules online, to ensure players are always updated on the latest changes. I would still prefer to have them printed, not having to deal with my laptop when playing (yeah I could get them printed somewhere, but then the image quality is worse yada-yada). Also, having seen a few let's plays on Youtube, my enthusiasm has lessened somewhat. Moving the figures with the movement tools through all the scenery seems very fiddly, and with all the tokens and cards, the playing feel seems kinda messy. Also it seems much less strategic than I initially thought it would be. Combat encounters occur when units have range and line of sight to each other, but that usually means that the opposing player can attack you back. So most combat situations consisted of one group firing on another, which would then fire back. Of course the group attacking first has an advantage as units (and attack dice) can be lost, but it still heavily based on dice luck, and very slightly by what mods you have. I'm still looking forward to trying it, and I might get my enthusiasm back when I do.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I thought the models looked like poo poo the moment I saw them. Lukes head looks especially weird. Smudgy details and way over-dimensioned for his body. IA figures look much better. Not a dealbreaker to me if the game is fun, but still very disappointing considering how FFG is marketing it as a premiere minature product.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Anybody tried the game yet? Is it fun? Deep? Luck-heavy?

My current feat is that the game lacks depth, as there is only a handful of actions to take.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I’m guessing this means there won’t be a Scum faction.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I'm considering taking the plunge on this game. Leaning towards Rebels as of now. What I really want are small teams that either cover lots of ground or set up camp and snipe stuff, not tons of big groups of troopers. So it seems rebels are the most suited for this playstyle? What would I need to buy to have a competitive squad?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

You do need at least 3 corps level units (regular troopers, fleet troopers, or the upcoming Veterans, mix and match to taste.)

After that you'll probably want Commando sniper teams which do exactly the sniping you describe, and Pathfinders, who deploy well ahead of everyone. Jyn is the obvious mix with the pathfinders, and Luke is pretty mobile as well. Then you could take the airspeeder and the rebel landspeeder technical and you'd have the start of a pretty fast/deep striking force.
Thanks, that sounds like a ton of fun. Is the airspeeder considered good these days? I remember tons of complaining about it. Also, I see the rebel have a stationary gun, is that thing viable?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Are there any situations where 2 dice packs is not enough?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Any tips for making painting rebel troopers more efficient/less of a slog? About done with one squad now, 3 to go. Not to mention about 30 other figures. :v:

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I've spent a lot of money and tons of hours painting to get into this game. Despite this, I've only played it a grand total of two times. And I have to say that those times left me a bit underwhelmed with the game. Despite playing with two different objectives, the deciding factor in both games were who managed to kill more of the other persons dudes. I don't think either of us deliberately tried to make it a game about killing each other, but that almost seemed inevitable for some reason. If the other person had troops nearby, it rarely seemed strategic to do anything other than either avoiding or engaging those units. So my impression from those two games is that this game seems to be lacking in strategic options. And that the different actions don't really expand those options in a meaningful way. Never did it seem like a good use of my two actions to take a dodge token for instance. Almost the same for standby and focus (or is it called aim?).

I'm very eager to be proven wrong in this, as I really want to love this game. So maybe all I need are som general pointers on how to play more strategically? Any good resources for that? Or other tips for enjoying this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is there a summary somewhere of what was annoynced in the weekend? I tried looking st reddit, but people there are more concerned about painting figures than playing the game it seems. Heard Scum is getting its own faction?