Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I'm thinking Scum & Villainy mercenary units which will build up to a third faction under something like Hutts or Black Sun banners. The game is still small scale enough that the Empire hitting a smuggler base would be credible.

Bounty Hunters are obvious special character releases and could maybe be low level commanders.

Who wants to see an AT-ST fighting a Rancor? Or a mob of Jawas getting revenge on Stormtroopers who blew up their sand crawler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Personally I'd hesitate to double up on stuff too quickly. For one thing FFG are probably keeping higher stock levels of this in the pipeline as they expect high level of interest, plus as more releases come through the meta won't just be limited to the core box plus 3 other things per side for long.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The models are great though they're not snapfit.

Lazy buggers.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Two 3x3 designed to sit side by side to make 6x3. Is it more profitable to sell two smaller mats, easier to ship, or do they simply expect a high demand to play smaller games?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I haven't actually delved into the rules that much yet, but am I right in thinking that the base rules assume you are using 2d terrain, and that there are additional rules for using 3d terrain? If so, maybe these 3x3 mats are intended for smaller cut down games?

Is it an attempt to coax boardgamers into tabletop gaming by making it less of a leap? Am I giving FFG entirely too much credit?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

And I found an AT-ST for less than £30 on ebay and bought it, so I know I am starting to slip down the rabbit hole.

... Is it for Imperial Assault?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

Previous cheapest I had seen was £37. As I have recived the shipping notice I will see what I get Monday.

Yeah I wasn't expecting to see any going for much under £40 any time soon, so £30 is a bargain. I think FFG have probably put a big effort into building up stock levels for Legion but I still expect some stuff to go out of stock at some point soonish as the 'wait and see' crowd start jumping in.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oh wow, more reveals already! I probably should have been expecting them I guess, but wasn't. Loving that they are mixing more aliens into the rebel troops, even if I still wish there were slightly more than there are. Those commandos look pretty solid.

I guess Han takes the wooden spoon for the range so far. Good news is, there is absolutely no way we won't see an alternative version of him at some point so they get to try harder next time. Not sure why they didn't give him the same pose as on the box. Or put his gun over his face.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

hoiyes posted:

Han looks bad, but his Biggs-like order card seems powerful.

Cool that the Rebel Commandos box has two units in it.

Bit confused by the blurb here! So you get 7 models in the box, the standard unit is 4 models with an upgrade card that adds a fifth (heavy weapon) model. Then you can also field the last two models as a skirmisher strike team which would be a blaster rifle plus heavy weapon pair?

Or I guess you could field two of the two-man teams, but not more as each needs a heavy weapon?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Interesting early feedback, please keep it coming!

I actually *like* the idea of things like the AT-ST being hard to deal with. The Empire *should* be big and nasty and hard to deal with. Same for the Rebels needing to use cover and avoid being caught in open fire fights.

Are some of you seeing this as something that needs to be perfectly symmetrical and balanced for tournament play? Maybe it is better for casual or narrative type play? Certainly great to be able to officially support all of the various forms of play (GW seems to be trying that more and more), but maybe one is simply a better 'fit' than the others.

Looking forward to seeing more and more options. Curious what the Imperial response to Han and the Commandos will be. Dismounted scouts? Death Troopers?

If FFG are promoting tournament play, then the game needs to be competitively balanced. Personally I think any good Wargame is going to be relatively well balanced because one sided game mechanics will get boring quickly.

I do think it is way too early to judge for Legion yet with so few units available and it only just getting into the hands of players. It sounds like the tables at Adepticon were not great or all that balanced because the organisers lacked experience of the system and had to guess.

You can pitch a game more heavily towards one playstyle over another, and that is fine if you are up front about it. Modiphius are pitching Fallout to be a more narrative experience than hyper competitive because they feel it fits the source material. They are also putting effort into solo play AI options so going to events to play games is less important. That is good, because events usually mean tournaments.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Alternative angle of Han Solno found on BoW, taken at Adepticon.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I imagine the recommended game size will be nudged upwards over time, like they did with Armada.

I look forward to Ewok Skywalker.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Funzo posted:

So what are you all doing for paint schemes for your Rebels? I don't want them all the same, since I want it to feel like a thrown together force. I'm thinking of doing each squad in a different scheme. Like one desert, one forest, one urban, that kind of thing.

Yeah varying squads could work to show different origins. Alternatively, use similar colours but lighter and darker shades to show them going for a uniform but having to make them in different places with the fabrics they had.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Invite your imperial playing buddies to try a few games as rebels on the same table.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah him being Imperial only implies a direction being set. Which is a pity. I really like the sculpt though, sounds like he is going to be a tank that screws with opponents squads?

I'm thinking next release is Operative Chewie with Wookie war party.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

How long is the crashed Xwing? And in which direction is it 19cm? Nose to back or wing to wing?

What do people who have played a few games think of the terrain density pictured? It was our first game and we thought there may have been a bit too much scatter. Or too many isolated elements. I know the early responses were that rebels suck if the board is too open.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 3, 2018

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm wondering if a stationary turret might suffer from being alpha striked before it gets chance to be cool in a game as fast and killy as legion is from my limited experience of one whole game. Is it going to live or die in a sniper duel type situation depending on who gets the first shot off?

In which case, does it synergise strongly with the 0 pip Han Shot First ability?

Regardless its a cool thing and I wasn't expecting to see it so good job FFG!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Genuinely surprised to see Palpatine! He must come with a Vader-level price tag on him.

Royal Guard as a melee unit makes sense. If we dont see Chewie as an operative and a unit of Wookies soon then I dunno what FFG are smoking.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

Krenic and Deathtroopers. Would own.

I thought this was a strong possibility for the 3rd Imperial commander and elite troop choice. As you say, it seems early to be bringing out Palpatine. Hell, does this mean Yoda is around the corner?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

hoiyes posted:

210 points base... He looks better than Vader. Anger + 1 pip command card seems real good. Getting him into position will be the hard part. Makes you wonder if there'll ever be troop transports.

If they don't do the Stormtrooper APC things from Rebels I'll eat my lightsabre.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Porgs will be multi based swarms with disorientating scream attacks. Any unit that kills a Porg must take a morale check and Think About What They Have Done.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Why no imperial probe droid? Or is that too bad rear end to mot get its own box?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Fetterkey posted:

The Han model is *way* better in person than the preview pictures seemed to indicate.

Huzzah! I was disappointed to think they screwed up Endor Han.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So Krennics thing is to make your activations less unpredictable? Sounds useful.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Both make a lot of sense to me, I'd make most of the Ghost crew into operatives. Hera is probably the exception but even then she's fairly low level so I dunno.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

To be fair they are usually alternating character-troops-character-troops so far? Realistically you would expect duplicate squads so those boxes will see more repeat use than any character, and the characters generally alter how other units play.

Just because you have 6 characters to choose from doesn't mean you have more of them on the table.

That said, it occurred to me earlier that if they release Hera as a character, she should probably have rules to fit more of her team in the same list somehow. I can see most of the Rebels cast being operatives. Or maybe do it as a scenario pitting them against waves of Stormtroopers.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

It's a cool terrain piece, I'm guessing the price will be similar to a non-wrecked At-St?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

Seems like the obvious use is to give them Overwatch and drop them on objectives during deployment, and just dig in like ticks.

So basically how I remember them in Rogue One?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

canyoneer posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/27/the-power-of-the-dark-side-1/

Exclusive Vader sculpt with alt arts for Star Wars Celebration attendees

So this is only available at the show, not online anywhere? Other than ebay for who knows what the following day, obviously.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

I own legion scale Krayt Dragons.

How do you randomise movement?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

... As much as I don't need another game to collect, and despite my misgivings on the prequels, I do like the Droid army aesthetic. And tbh Clone Troopers ain't bad.

Hmm.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Just thinking about prequels characters and where they would go.

Does Maul go into separatists, or a later Scum faction?

Does Palpatine/Sidious get new models for one or both of the new factions?

I can't see them not doing light/dark side versions of Anakin. Maybe one dual faction model pack?

Count Dooku & Mace Windu will probably be the next characters released.

Get ready for the dinky little Yoda. Brace thyselves for Amidala.

We will get Jar Jar when they are ready to go all Gungan. Everyone will secretly want Boss Nass and try (but fail) to resist narrating their turns in the voice of Brian Blessed (badly).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The clone wars set is going to get me playing this game, but I think I'll wait until there are more than two units out. I had some friends get burned with the original starter that way.

Burned how? Got bored from repitition or bought too many of the basic units at launch?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I think you go through the movies/TV shows first then start mining stuff like Old Republic once you have run out of the most well known content.

I think we will see First Order cropping up soon enough, personally I want to see a sculpt of Kylo Ren from the end of Force Awakens where he is punching his own wounds to get angrier. Also that should be a card for him.

But do you make First Order/Resistance as their own factions, or tack them onto Empire/Rebellion?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Floppychop posted:

I wonder how long until Super Battle Droids drop.

Because I want Grievous and Droidekas but I don't want to also need a horde of B1s along with them.

Not that long, but probably a little longer than people may like. I assume before Geonosians but who knows.

I'm trying to guess the order that they release Maul, Dooku and Nute Gunray. Actually they will probably do the Genosian boss guy along with a troop box at the same time.

I'm thinking the droid tank is the next new model release.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Funzo posted:

they sold out for today before the hall even opened to regular badge holders.

I In had bought a ticket, hearing this would piss me right off.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There was never any doubt in my mind that we would see tge Droid tank pretty drat quickly, and the B-2 Droids look good.

I just can't decide if I like the clone tank of not. I just keep seeing it as a flying helmet and I dunno if that is a good thing.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

#immediatelystartsrebelarmy

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

Baby Yoda operative is the shot in the arm this game needs.

Place your bets on what comes first. Yoda Jedi Master or Baby Yoda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I would be tempted to build the Rogue One squad for a skirmish game.