Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Hey all,

I've been looking, and it seems pretty hard to find a nice neoprene mat that'll work for Legion. Has anyone found a 6x3 mat that Legion can use (i.e., not SPAAAAAACE) that isn't going to kill me on shipping because I'm in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Funzo posted:

I found these online, but I have no idea if they're any good or not.

http://www.tablewar.com/the-f-a-t-mat/6x3-f-a-t-mat/

Thanks! Now to figure out what planet to build first. I'm thinking Hoth.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I played Empire for a while when this first dropped, but got distracted with stuff until recently. What resources are there anymore for getting (re)started back into Legion? I havw 2x Empire Core sets, 2x Snow Troppers, Veers, AT-ST, Bossk , Boba, and Imperial Operatives. Any crucial things I need now?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

I feel like fleet troopers would be lethal at that range.

I’ve had fun running Rex (at 90pts base), I think the cheaper commanders can start to shine. Mostly by allowing you to bring more troops, though.

Do you think modifying the terrain count could help with Skirmish? For instance, instead of being on big open fields, make it snaking corridors through a ship? Yeah, Fleet Troopers are still good there, but the twists and turns could at least help the "standard" weapons like the E11 a bit. 40k Kill Team makes an Arena expansion that comes with a map like that complete with doors and obstacles.

Still trying to get back into it all, so maybe I'm way off base. :)

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Sounds good. My small playgroup of 4-5 people who have all been good during lockdown, and are keeping safe, have begun meeting in a private space. We're going to look at learning (or re-learning in a couple cases,) Legion, and were planning on doing a Skirmish on Wednesday. I don't consider myself much of a tryhard, but I do want to be competent. :)

Does this look like a non-stupid list for that?

http://tabletopadmiral.com/legion/empire/p17u1au2bp05u13u0eu3au06p05uEMu43u25u06u41p05u07u0euEMuEMp02u02p28u26u02u74c08

I'm working with what I have in my collection, which is a lot of early Imperial stuff, so I don't have access to Stormtrooper Upgrade packs, Death or Shoretroopers. I also didn't want to be "that guy" and bring an AT-ST do a demo skirmish game.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

So, I’m wanting to get back to painting again...after plowing through most of these guys in about 3 weeks time.

Some of my old paints have dried out, so I’m in the market for new pots. Does anyone have any experience with contrast paints? I want to start back with shoretroopers/skirmish, and some variant of this list:

(500/500)
Empire

Iden Versio (100)
- Iden's TL-50 Repeater (15)
= 130 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- T-21B Trooper (32)
= 84 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- T-21B Trooper (32)
= 84 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- T-21B Trooper (32)
= 84 total points

Imperial Death Troopers (76)
- E-11D Focused Fire Config (8)
- DLT-19D Trooper (34)
= 118 total points

I’ve already got Iden (the easiest model I’ve ever painted :) ) and the DTs, so I’m looking for a scheme for shoretroopers that minimizes/eliminates painting white. I’ve got an army of snowtroopers and an army of clones done up in their standard colors, it’s time to branch out a bit.

Shoretroopers are canonically Sandy bone color, so good news!

To paint them with Contrast, get the Skeleton Horde color. Black Templar the black bits. :)

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Ugleb posted:

Out of sheer curiosity I just watched the Team Relentless Legion Buying guide Winter 2020.

Apparently a Republic/Separatist player should buy 3 core sets and at least 2 of every expansion. Dear god I wonder how much this guy spends on minis. Of if he owns a shop.

This started as a 'getting started' guide....

Yeah, but remember this was a buying guide to "getting you competitive in a tournament environment ASAP" guide. For a step by step collection pace, Crabbok gives slightly less breakneck advice.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

There's all sorts of ways to play that are valid. Some folks do want to prove their mastery over the system of a game, and that's fine. Some want to tell or recreate the stories these games are based on, and that's cool, too. Some just want an excuse to have a few drinks and spend time with people they like.

Where it comes into conflict, IMO, is when groups of people with different expectations on that gather. so long as you're having fun, I'm good with what you want to do.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Ugleb posted:

I am surprised and a bit disappointed that nobody is talking about Lando and his choice of magnificent capes!

Or Agent Kallus and his remarkable helmet!

I'm curious to see what their Flaw cards are, I wasn't expecting them both to get one.

Both getting flaws make sense. Lando's loyalty to Han was pretty questionable in ESB, and Kallas is a full on fulcrum agent. Kallas' is likely going to be to show mercy on units (like, he can't make attacks for a round or something,) and Lando's might be a "know when to fold'em" kinda thing, where is courage value gets compromised or something.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

HebrewMagic posted:

Sideburns plus that huge loving gun are getting him a spot in my Empire force and I don't even know what he's from

The helmet, a reference to Roman Centurion helmets, was kind of his look at the beginning. He's from the Rebels TV show. The gun is actually the staff collapsed. It's a combi-weapon he got when he slaughtered an alien people. You later find out he was gifted it, as he's a Rebel sympathizer.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Funzo posted:

Anyone have some Legion focused podcasts or Youtube channels to recommend? I'm trying to get back in to playing after not touching the game since launch.

Legion Visual Guide are excellent for going through the rules on cards. It seems like overkill, but they do a great job of explaining how to use things.

Team Relentless' guides are pretty good at showing you tricks or gimmicks that you probably at least ought to be aware of, if not considering (such as the Inferno Squad/ISF Infiltrate trick.)

Crabbok covers a bunch of games, but he's pretty nice and overall a decent listen.

War Corgi does some pretty good battle reports. I would love for him to add in some "interview" bits (like Command Zone does for their EDH Magic games,) but I can understand not wanting to add a bunch of editing work into a process.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

The dorks wanting an AT-AT for Legion have no earthly idea how bad of an idea that is.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

I am gonna do the sickest, weedest and awful airbrush style painting on that stupid rebel wagon with a giant wizard ben kenobi blowing smoke and howling wookies

gently caress. Yes.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Ugleb posted:

I'm wondering if two clone wars starter sets plus a LAT equals a Republic army. Can't be that far off can it? Transport plus gunship must be fairly points heavy.

Ideally I want the LAT to drop a squad of clones plus a Jedi into the fight. Do we think that is likely?

Depends on capacity.

Based on how previous transports work, it counts the number of "Units" it can handle at once, so Obi-Wan and a full unit of clones take up the same space. That sounds goofy, but that's how the Transport: X works. If the LAAT has Transport: 2, you could totally do it. Otherwise, Obi might need a ride of his own.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

This is why I wanted legion to be 10mm instead of 30mm, in addition to the fact that we already had IA in that scale.

Yeah, had they just made "Flames of War but Star Wars," I'd have gotten 3 AT-ATs day one.

I'm pretty happy with what we have, though. :) The only bummer about AMG's stream last week was the lack of CIS spoilers (since GAR technically got something.)

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

90% of Legion stuff has a 3d printed option. Just scale everything down in the slicer, including the measuring tools. :v:

:D

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

ive done one truck and kinda same, it's fun to paint but it just takes so loving long. got another one on the sprue and don't really have the motivation to put it together

They're big models, and definitely built to be centerpiece models in an army.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

What is the state of Legion atm? I quit fairly early when the only vehicles were the AT-ST and snow speeder, which both kinda sucked, and commanders like Luke would just run around decimating entire squads. Seems like the game is a lot more vehicle heavy now.

Legion's in a decent place, but beset by problems with the pandemic. Several releases are delayed, prices are going up as shipping costs rise.

Game state, thought, the game's pretty good, IMO. Clones and Seppys are getting a lot of attention right now because they don't have the amount of releases the GCW does, but they'll catch up quick.

As far as it being vehicle-heavy, I don't think it's heavy. Three factions just got new fun vehicles, and big toys are always kinda fun to play, but playing with a ton of them is rarely seen as optimal. The game still wants and likes troops. The Speeder did get better with some adjustments, BTW, but again, double Heavy slot lists are still considered gimmicks, more or less.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

So I’ve only played skirmish for what feels like an eternity, and I’m itching to get back to full-size games.

I’ve also never had a chance to break out my droids (only had Dooku as a command option, and just never did it as he’s half the drat list :laffo: ), so I’ve got a list built that’s nothing but mechanical bodies marching forward towards their deaths. Something like 50+ droids? A T-series, a super tactical droid, then as many B1’s, B2’s, commandos, and droidekas as I can pack in.

Will it die horribly? Oh god yes.

Will it also look imposing as gently caress from across the table before the bodies start falling down? Also yes :getin:

Why yes I played imperial guard in 40k at one point, why do you ask :v:

I just had a refresher game today where my buddy ran like 5 or 6 B1 units with an E5, two AAT tanks and Kalani. It was a mad dash to try and slap the armor off the table before I lost too many bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Battleforces are up!

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/star-wars-legion-documents