Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

We all have them. The guns that we love despite knowing that there are other things that do what they do better. That one design that you just can't help but be enamored with despite how derpy it is. I'm not talking about grandpa's old squirrel gun that you could never sell - "sentimental guns" was last month - but the objectively inferior design that you just can't help but love. The wonky 80s action hero "assault" pistol, the early autoloading rifle that was obsolete before WW2 started, the mad meth-fuled fever dreams of designers with more ambition than skill, the insane special snowflakes that exist just to be different from the AR-15.

Let's see where your blind spots are and what bad guns you just can't help but love. The derpy engineering abortions that make you sadly shake your head, know you're kind of an idiot, and mutter "I just can't quit you."

Make a post, make a thread, just make a little effort and talk to us about why it has such a hold on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

Oh poo poo, garbage month, my month.

Armscor M206. Almost as good as a Detective Special, if it had wiggly lockup and weren't very good. I've had this gun punch out primers and become jammed up, I've had the hammer seize up on me leading to me having to baby it for like 10 minutes because I don't want to ND. And yet I still like it because gently caress off it's my revolver. Early on in owning this thing I bought a nickel trigger but the electroplating made it impossible to fit a pin into the trigger. So I started grinding in that pinhole. Unfortunately I'm a measure never cut five times kinda guy so that ended up being slightly too big which meant the gun stopped working in double-action and had super-sloppy single-action verging on unsafe. Which is why the blued trigger is what's in there right now.

Yugo M57, the longtok. Tokarevs are already cool and good as they are 1911s but from bizarro world where they cost $200 instead of $2000 and have tiny ultrasonic armor-piercing bullets instead of giant fat trucknuts for bullets. Getting these things into the country has led to a whole diaspora of safety mechanisms. Mine is a baby safety that you have to dig in with your nails to activate even though it looks like it could be done with a thumb the truth is no you cannot activate that with a thumb you'll cut yourself on the sharp pot metal edges. Ironically all these old Tokarevs already come with a safety since they have half-cock which locks the gun up. As you can see, they don't stamp the ZASTAVA, YUGOSLAVIA mark deep enough to take a color fill which sucks. The main bad thing about Yugo Toks is since they are hi-cap compared to normal Tokarevs they can't take a normal Tokarev grip so finding custom grips that both fit and are cool is almost impossible for me. Interestingly, modern M57s are pretty much 100% cross-compatable so if you own both a C&R and a modern you could just mix-and-match parts all day long who gives a poo poo. Best feature: captured slide spring, eat that poo poo because it ain't going flying nowhere.

The P-64, Poland's totally original do-not-steal design. With a 25lb factory trigger it's a nightmare hellzone for shooting double-action. For real if you even consider getting one of these you need to install a lighter mainspring immediately. Surprisingly smooth and nice in double-action though, even with the factory trigger, and with a lighter trigger I'd estimate it's close to 2-3lbs of pull force DA, maybe even less. You may also notice I put in a bigger heel release when I did that because gently caress it you gotta take the release off anyway to change the spring. Shoots pretty well, surprisingly accurate for its size and what it is. It has neat safety features including a round-in-chamber indicator, a decocker for if you hate yourself, some kinda half-safe that I've never been able to figure out if it's a feature or just a mistake in the design, and like the Makarov it has that thing where the hammer rests slightly off the firing pin and you can't force it forward to do a pinstrike without having the trigger completely held. My biggest issue with it is that it holds as much as a revolver, but it's extremely compact and would probably be prime carry material if you wanted to carry a steel gun. Despite being steel it's pretty light and small, I shove it in my pocket when I'm outside in the yard a lot. The A stands for "actually, this is not a clone." I don't know what the :| face stands for.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I will make you regret this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Yeah I was thinking of you when i wrote all that. You’re our lovely gun Cupid

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm as hard-headed as the ZAMAK-3 that surrounds me.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'll let you go first. I need to gather my thoughts.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

At least we didn't cook the dog.

Fun Shoe

Seems like a good excuse to share with you the most dangerous antique in my house.

This is an Iver Johnson Safety Automatic, Second Model. It's a .32 cal top break black powder revolver from ~1900. It also no longer holds cylinder lock, and the trigger pull can best be described as 'painful'. Apocryphally it belonged to my great-great-grand-uncle, who carried it as a police officer in the early 1900's, and the last person known to have fired it was my grandfather, who died in the 1950's. Dad never bothered to fix it, as it was too dangerous to shoot a top-break revolver that might explode from smokeless powder pressures, and I'll never do it either.

The cool thing about these guns is how ahead of their time they are. They're a shrouded hammer DA revolver that uses a transfer bar and trigger lever safety, and have an actual automatic ejector built in when you break the action. One of the same model was used to assassinate President William McKinley, which I didn't know until I went looking for the actual production dates on these.

That said, due to the tiny handle and hideous trigger pull, it would be a bastard to shoot.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

since we're talking
about primaries

For what it's worth, those Iver Johnsons do not lock the cylinder from rotation when at rest at all, by design. Try puling the trigger with an unloaded gun, and hold the trigger back. at that point the cylinder should have indexed itself and locked up. Try to rotate it then. If it doesn't lock up, then there's definitely something mechanically wrong.

There is a company out there that sells BP loaded .32 S&W Short, which is what those chamber, it's like $60 $41 a box though.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/32-s-w-...of-50-amo32swsb

My dad's got one that belonged to his uncle, I wanna get a box at some point and give it a go. .32 S&W Short is a very tame cartridge, similar in energy to .22 LR.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

At least we didn't cook the dog.

Fun Shoe

Yeah, it doesn't lock at all, no matter the trigger positiin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIV
May 18, 2007

Havin' a good time

Fun Shoe

This fucker right here. The Sterling 302

Technically my moms gun but I'll get it eventually, I'm sure.

It's a simple 22 LR blowback striker fired pistol design. Basically a Saturday night special if someone were to actually put some decent work into them. They're made of stainless steel, and I don't think they were especially cheap at the time. Despite it's higher quality appearance and construction, it's still a piece of poo poo. Just less so than others.

It jams a lot, but works fairly well with minimags. One time it somehow unwound and fed the firing pin spring through the firing pin hole while firing and jammed the firing pin in the forward position. Somehow it did not go full auto and instead just decided to jam.

Despite these flaws it's still a neat little gun and a hoot to shoot. Also surprisingly accurate. It has a fixed barrel and some decent rifling on it. I once shot the wings off a butterfly that landed on my target at 10 yards with it.

Runner up is this Noble 33A I used to own. It was the second gun I ever bought I think, and it was such a cool design in concept.

Pump action 22 that can fire S/L/LR and you can mount a weaver rail to it? Sign me the gently caress up! The downside being that it fed SO unreliably it was ridiculous. Every bullet would require a good ten seconds of loving with the pump, or sticking a knife into the action to pry something around. There's no knowledge base around them and spare parts are basically unobtainium so I traded it+cash for a High Standard HD Military. After finding videos of it working correctly on youtube it still looks fun as hell.

SpartanIV fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2018 around 17:50