Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

every time you smoke too much weed you go to another dimension

one time I was half way in one dimension and I started yelling really loud but I ended up in the dimension where I didn't say anything at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
Actually I'm pretty sure this place is some sort of junction between two actual dimensions and everytime a diplomat crosses over it comes across as a taco Bell commercial (flight schedule), eating a cheesy beef gordita crunchwarp (take off), digestion(flight), excretion (landing) and flushing (baggage claim) Im a huge prick

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I’m no Stephen Hawking, but I don’t think a dimension is the same thing as an alternate reality or whatever.

naem
May 29, 2011

cardiacarrest123 posted:

I too wonder how far off the rails i would have gone without a relatively normal wife and a child to care for.

I live in that dimension it's not great

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

I’m no Stephen Hawking, but I don’t think a dimension is the same thing as an alternate reality or whatever.

You don't know real science man. Let me hack you into another dimension on my Commodore 64.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
ok so computers can make random data, right? that's how you wipe a hard drive - do a few passes of random data.

usually it's noise, but there's an infinite set of possibilities including ones where there's images and music and movies and stuff after a "random" pass

like in some dimension, some guy tried to wipe an sd card and instead ended up with the piss tape

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

pretty sure they just overwrite it with 0's

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Which alternate dimension has the fewest TJ Millers

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

pretty sure they just overwrite it with 0's

best practice is multiple passes of random data (source: i am a professional hacker)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's Summer of 1997 and Hollywood is burning. Several notorious flops have come out that year that makes big Hollywood look dumber than before. Speed 2, Batman and Robin and... Titanic.

The negative press on Titanic is fueled largely by the immediate string of failures of big budget films of the last few months, condemned for bad effects, a romance plotline and getting cut down to a shorter run time to get in more screenings. The film is also largely overshadowed by the popular and fun Men in Black film that Summer.

Cameron's career is shot for the most part for the next several years and eventually has to return to direct a new Terminator prequel movie for Summer 2002, sparked by the success of Episode One, but like Titanic it also suffers from bad reviews. This time, though, the negative audience/critical reaction is for doing a grim sci-fi war movie so soon after 9/11. Cameron goes from being the hero of Hollywood to a bit of a joke, but as the DVD boom is full swing within the next few years and the release of 'Extended/Directors Cuts' become more common, there is a slight bump in the critical reappraisal of Titanic and Terminator: Exodus.

For the next several years, we'll see a continued trend in Miramax teen/Tarantino-styled movies, comedies, romantic comedies, and Disney family films dominating the box office with moderate budgets and good return on investment. Hollywood begins to balk on big budget films.

Without the success of Titanic, Armageddon doesn't go into reshoots to add more material to the love story aspect of the film, which continues to enforce that romantic plotlines are needed in big budget movies like those.

Without the Titanic success, George Lucas dumps most of his romantic plot points to the prequels and ends up developing a different story about the fall of Anakin where the eventual Padme/Anakin relationship is told in a much different way. Star Wars Episode One opens well enough, but again, without the halo effect of Titanic in the Hollywood Blockbuster marketplace, it never fully generates into the craze it becomes leading up to its release. The complaints about Jar-Jar, young Anakin and the lack of any interest in an eventual Padme/Anakin relationship in later films are noted within a few years by fans. Greater emphasis instead is placed on building up the master/student relationships between Kenobi/Palpatine with an impressionable Anakin.

LOTR and Harry Potter similarly suffer from lesser success, but are still very profitable. Hollywood starts focusing on books/short stories and even anime/manga with youth audiences as the source of their big budget films more frequently, due to proven previous popularity and success, despite the failure of other films in those genres in recent years. Ender's Game gets made about 10 years sooner with Haley Joel Osment. A pair of Dragon Ball movies are also made sometime before 2007, too, extremely compressing the Raditz/Saiyan and Frieza arcs into single films and having them set on Earth.

Raimi's Spider-man ends up dumping the MJ/Peter plotline as well, when it comes out in 2002 and shockingly enough the MJ character is fully replaced by Gwen Stacy who largely replaces Harry as Peter's friend/study buddy, but only sees him as that. A major change is now the Stacy family is targetted by Goblin instead of the Parkers for Capt. Stacy's investigations on Osborn, leading Gwen's mom being nearly killed by Goblin instead of Aunt May. Gwen, Capt. Stacy and Peter all end up involved in the final conflict with the Goblin at the end of the film which results in Capt. Stacy's death. It's moderately popular with audiences, though loved by comic book fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
Just injected some iowasska, am I Joe rogan yet?

• Locked thread