Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You know your mother would talk about you
Your own sisters and your brothers too
They just don't care how you're tryin' to live
They'll talk about you still

Yes, but bear, ooh, this in mind, a true friend is hard to find
Don't you mind people grinnin' in your face
Don't you mind people grinnin' in your face

Or, for the traditionalists.

I love Hi-Point. No trolling. No irony. No comedy option. I genuinely love Hi-Point.

While the handguns leave a lot to be desired, they are all many can afford. The .40 and .45 models even run alright. The compensated .380 is a hilariously bubbly fistful of cheer and no one has disliked the drat thing:

The carbines, on the other hand, run like tops. I've got over 2k without cleaning or lube in each a 40 caliber and 380 ACP. The only failures being directly attributable to ammunition (handloads, often stupid ones) and the mousegun breaking in its mags for a couple range trips. Rain, snow, ice, left out to freeze, thrown around, JHP, FMJ, cast, random bullet profiles, they've eaten most everything. A friend is well over 2k in a 45 carbine (several hundred at my hands), around 1k in another, the 40 caliber carbine he gave one of his kids is nearing 2k, and his 380 carbine is also over 2k with zero issues and hundreds of those being at the hands of my kids. The sight picture is good and quality of the irons adequate. Perfectly rugged once you dimple the barrel for the FSB. The underbarrel rail is well placed for pistol lights. That silly recoil absorbing sprung buttplate? Works and works well. While sadly not ambi, the safety is also well placed and functions easily. The butt stock mounted mag clips are genuinely great. $300 can get a person out the door with a 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, or 380 ACP carbine plus extra magazine. That set-up plus a full case of ammo will clock in cheaper than initial purchase price of a CX4 Storm or many comparably reliable factory pistol caliber ARs. And comes with a no-questions-asked warranty. One which covers the gun, not owners. Buy a used puddle of Hi-Point from someone after a house fire? Send it in, they'll replace it.

Nevermind that the fool things are just fun. Or so cheap/supported that you are willing to subject them to any number of horrors*:

In closing, gently caress you all. A lot of firearms do a lot of things better than Hi-Points. But none on the same trailer park budget. Nor do many companies come close to the comprehensive and often generous warranty. I can't help but love a company founded on the principle that the lower class deserve serviceable firearms, too.

* I'm sure enough of you are familiar with the handloads I've run through these pigs that I don't need to rehash that reckless disregard for personal safety. Still gonna break 2,000 FPS in the .380 carbine. Somehow.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2018 around 18:11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord Actual
Nov 27, 2011

Stop making me want to buy terrible guns you jerk

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

hoot hoot motherfucker

At some point, when I have space, I will break down and buy a brace of hi-points.

Probably that silly .380 comped thing and a companion carbine.

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015

Every day I come closer to wanting to do whack-rear end things to my 995 carbine. Keep on keeping on, Butch, you're like my crazy internet gun-uncle.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Have you considered contacting Hi-Point about advertising? You're a hell of a pitch man.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Have you considered contacting Hi-Point about advertising? You're a hell of a pitch man.

I agree. Also yes I am thinking of the carbine but that will be down the road.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Fun Shoe

Love the harlequin carbine!

I was just talking about getting a Hi-Point pistol and carbine and taking them to 3-gun shoots.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'll admit that I had always turned my nose up at Hi-Point and looked down on owners of as foolish. Then a buddy pulled out a .45 carbine and I agreed to shoot it to be polite. Also because he'd mounted a friggin Eotech on the thing. And it was wicked fun while popping clays on the 50 yard berm. But I wouldn't own one.

Then news of the 380 ACP carbine dropped and I went nuts. Bought the first one my FFL's main distributer sent to the state. Had it ordered, actually. And it was even more stupid fun than the 45 because it shoots biggish, slow, dumb bullets but with rimfire grade recoil and mild report.

Then development of a bullpup chassis was made public. Can't give up the harlequin stock so ordered a 40 S&W carbine. Still waiting on the chassis but it runs like a champ. Will likely see about a custom barrel in 357 Sig once the bullpup chassis is in hand to confirm dimensions. Because they'll replace it if I gently caress everything up so why not go hog wild?

But I wouldn't own one of their handguns on a bet.

And then learned that a compensated .380 pistol is 1) a thing and 2) current production. You can't not buy that for under $200 new. It's the easiest centerfire gun in the house with which to clear a Bill Drill. Yes, the 10-round pistol mags suck and mine need to be mailed back for repair/replacement. Yes, it once in a while fails to eject with weak ammo which their tech attributes a bad firing pin spring. A replacement of which is currently on its way to me for free. If that's my biggest problem with a handgun costing less than a ski day for two, I'll live. Especially when their 380 ACP handguns are admittedly their most problematic products.

My username on Pistol-Forum was a joke when I registered. Now the loving thing is an accurate desription.

And I'm not alone:

KY Gun Co. talks about the 10mm carbine. TL/DR, they sold between 20 and 30 in three (3) minutes!

Hickok45 fails to hate the 995TS carbine after making GBS threads on the C9 pistol. One dud of a magazine.

Nutnfancy so don't click. I subjected myself to it for you all. He and another guy treat a 995TS like poo poo in a run and gun ending in both digging it.

Can you think of any other gun you'd be willing to shoot out of a kayak? This guy bought his after being lent it by a friend for a review.

Range Hot has its issues. But Elliot gets credit for handing all guns to an assortment of people. In this case, all liked the 3895TS. He wound up buying the T&E gun then his girlfriend comandeered it as a bedside gun.

TFB tries to hate the CF380 and fails.

Sumdood running a 995TS in a match. One stoppage and with an aftermarket magazine. Didn't stop him running another match with it.

Inrange mud tested a C9. It faired a bit better than a G19 and the comments section was a hilarious dumpster fire before getting carpet bombed.

Some idiots try to 'splode a C9. Notice that they use the safety as an administrative slide lock as designed. Then forget and try to slingshot while locked. Then pound the back of the slide hard enough to shear the safety lever. And it kept running.

I'll talk about my honest findings of shotcomings later but:

- The mags are more tolerant of dirt than the S&W Shield.

- The CF380COMP tolerates being ground into dirt shooting rifles prone better than a Glock or even my LEMed USP compact.

- A buddy keeps saying that Hi-Points have a high "entertainment value" and I have found that to be absolutely true. A genrally reliable gun for next to nothing that you won't hesitate to run into the ground doing abusive poo poo and then get repaired with an apology and free mag from the manufacturer.

- The 4095TS is my least ammo sensitive firearm. It'll eat lead semi-wadcutters like candy. No magazine failures even when fairly sandy. Surprisingly minimal POI shift with various loads. Dump pig just keeps running despite my best efforts to choke it. It is seriously the single most reliable firearm in my house with the possible exception of my Daniel Defense barreled AR.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2018 around 16:42

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

So, that striker spring I'd mentioned in the previous post? MoM didn't send me one but rather TWO striker kits with striker/ejector, stiker spring, and whatever the shorter fat spring is called.

The shorter of each was as removed from the CF380COMP. New springs are a fair bit longer. Some time with assorted ammo will tell if this is the fix. Left the original striker in place. Parked the old springs in with a new striker in the random used parts bin. Full spare striker kit tucked in the carbine case with the set for my 4095.

Oh, MoM gave me the spare for the 40 caliber carbine. I had called and asked about buying a spare striker just to keep on hand. They refused payment and sent me the set for free.

A friend and I will be attending a local defensive carbine class in a couple months. Ranges from 7-100 yards and required round count of 500 rifle and 100 handgun. I'm just going to order a case of .40 and run the 4095 with my Beretta PX4 compact as handgun. The Benelli MR1 will come along for others to try if they want. And my AR will sit in the trunk with a can of XM193 and mags as my own back-up gun. Going to order a half dozen more mags for the 4095 before the class, as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the ZAMAK pig holds up to everything.

Raptor1033
Dec 17, 2010

This horse has a wack case of poo brain!

If I ever sell off the guns I never use, I'll definitely have to pick up a carbine just to throw these decent guys some cash. My only complaint when handling Hi Points a few years ago was how weirdly slippery the plastic portions felt, did that ever get changed? Or how have you dealt with it?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The pistol grip has yet to cause me issue so I've left it alone. The handguard is fine in profile but the lack of traction is a bit of an issue on the 4095. So I bought a cheap aluminum VFG from Amazon (that seems to no longer be available) and chopped it to a stubby length. Works great and keeps my hand indexed to use the light as a convenient bonus.

Have done nothing up front on the 3895. My kids shoot the piss out of it and tend to rest it on whatever so it staying flat works for the better.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Ugh this thread makes me want one of those new 10mm carbines.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

JRay88 posted:

It will be a matter of time before I get one.

Then I can start to make nuclear 10mm rounds for the carbine

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

gently caress you, shophaver. Turn a barrel blank and ream for 9x25mm Dillon!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Range Hot released their video review of the 10mm carbine:

https://youtu.be/nzfhNdYnQGA

And written:

http://rangehot.com/hi-point-1095ts...getting-bit-10/

They will also be running Handgun vs. Carbine gel/chrono tests of 10mm in the near future. But it looks right now to be a decent, cheap hog gun.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

I love that Hi-Point produces a seemingly reliable catalog of firearms priced so that everyone but the absolute bottom of the socioeconomic barrel can afford a firearm. It makes them one of the most important manufacturers in the modern firearms industry. I just can't get past the metal and the aesthetics.

I understand why they look like they do and why they use the metal they use. I get that if they had a habit of blowing up the company wouldn't be around. I'm glad you don't have my issues because it's fun to see someone enjoy these guns.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

EUPHORIA IS BEST EXPERIENCED MOST FIRMLY AT THE STATE OF A GRAND CRUSADE AT 10000 DEAD HERETICS AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHETHER YOU'RE GONNA END UP WEARING THESE STUPID FUCKING PAULDRONS OR NOT

Slippery Tilde

I was never a fan of Hi-Points, my only experience with them having been my buddy's 9mm pistol that, while never failing to go bang, left a lot to be desired in the accuracy and refinement department. Then at a TFR shoot in Texas many years ago I got to try out a carbine with a red-dot on it and it made me reevaluate my thoughts on them. It was accurate and legitimately fun to shoot. I'll still probably never own one myself (maaybe a carbine. maybe) but I'm happy that they exist.

Good thread, fun gats.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Butch Cassidy posted:

gently caress you, shophaver. Turn a barrel blank and ream for 9x25mm Dillon!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

JRay88 posted:

Floridian in short shorts reviewing the 1095 for TFB:

https://youtu.be/083T0UmYmG0

Mag started breaking in by the end. Most reloads had him bumping the charging handle to strip the first round until then.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

The 1095 is entirely within the "why not" range of purchase.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Found a video that does a decent job showing how flat the recoil impulse of the compensated 380 pistol is:

https://youtu.be/7VoxtF7Gfp0

Given the weight of the thing, that porker of a steel comp hanging off the muzzle, and how much gas the comp actually vents, I think most of the felt recoil os actially the slide hitting the rearward stop and bumping back into battery. It doesn't feel like conventional recoil when shooting but rather bouncy.

Recently learned that a somewhat nearby range hosts occasional IDPA matches. Just might have to see about dragging OWLS! to one and running the CF380COMP versus some stupid thing of his.

E: Neat! Some kid running a Texas star with a .380 carbine then dinging some poppers with the rest of the mag.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2018 around 13:50

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

20-round mags for the 45 ACP carbine now for sale!

https://www.redballsports.net/colle...hi-point-4595ts

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ordered a four-pack of those double to single stack 4595 mags for a buddy. Looking forward to seeing how they sere made and if they run well for him once they finally ship.

Also shot a modified Personal Protection Practice drill with my 4095. Doubled the range to ten yards (longest shot in my house, conveniently enough), shot lefty but two handed for the support-hand-only strings, right hand only from kneeling on the strong-hand-only stages, from a high ready in place of a draw, from low ready where listed, and reloaded from the buttstock clips. Used the red/green dot optic for all and plan to revisit using irons:

The miss on target I, circle 2 was rushed. Yanked it and over-compensated for my holdover to boot. Target II, circle 2 was also yanked. Shot that barely broke the line on target II, circle 4 was stong-hand-only. By the way, all strong-hand-only shots were from a low ready braced on my knee to keep from holding that pig up the whole time.

Magazine #1 finally had two failures to feed in one loading. A grody 180 grain HST and 180 grain Tula from the gross odds and ends ammo baggy. Don't know if ammo, very dirty/dry gun, result of it being my most abused and dirty mag, or what. I'm calling it time to finally clean and lube everything.

Also shot the drill with the CF380COMP and an old box of handloads that hit a good bit higher than my current. Too lazy to phone post that at the moment, though.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

There’s a Haskell .45 on consignment at my local shop-in decent shape for $125; I feel like it could hang out with your hi-points and talk about the old days... it’d be like a weird great step-uncle.

Not the gun at shop but same model-

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Every time I see a Hi-Point carbine at a store, I briefly consider it. Next time I see a .45 or 10mm at a decent price I might buy it.

They're like the opposite of aeronautical engineering -- "looks right, flies right" as opposed to "the uglier the gun, the better it runs."

I have a pistol designed by G-d Himself Browning, and the thing somehow managed to catch an empty case backwards in the ejection port. A 97-year-old design* , pretty much lauded as the best-looking pistol ever, made by a marque that mostly manages to spell their own name right, and some cheap ugly piece of poo poo is more reliable.

*A1 came out in 1921.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

that avatar was in poor taste, and you'll probably change this one anyway, but let's contribute a bit to lowtax's health insurance at least have something better for a small while

- scrooge mcduck

Dingleberry posted:

There’s a Haskell .45 on consignment at my local shop-in decent shape for $125; I feel like it could hang out with your hi-points and talk about the old days... it’d be like a weird great step-uncle.

gently caress for that much I'd buy it just to have a conversation piece.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

That thing looks part gun part bread machine.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Aw yeah.

Not the lightest rifle I've ever had...

but I'm real excited to take this one to the range.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Now get the following:

https://www.downrangeproductsco.com...ng-handle-bolt/

+

https://www.downrangeproductsco.com...-knurled-black/

Worth the money.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

So... I'm going to be getting one of the 10mm's in the semi near future.

*eyes the bronze bar stock in the corner*

shalafi4 fucked around with this message at Apr 5, 2018 around 19:46

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

This thread has made me want a hi-point, just for the fun factor. If I wasn't restricted to at most two guns per caliber, I'd get five of these weird plastic thingmabobs.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

Jeremy_X posted:

I love that Hi-Point produces a seemingly reliable catalog of firearms priced so that everyone but the absolute bottom of the socioeconomic barrel can afford a firearm. It makes them one of the most important manufacturers in the modern firearms industry. I just can't get past the metal and the aesthetics.

I understand why they look like they do and why they use the metal they use. I get that if they had a habit of blowing up the company wouldn't be around. I'm glad you don't have my issues because it's fun to see someone enjoy these guns.

Not empty quoting. 5’d the thread.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The new 1095 went off with my dad for one of his periodic old-guy weekend-in-the-woods and he got the first rounds in.

Only 25 yards but not too shabby. 70+ year old eyes and irons won't get a lot better than that anyhow.

I should be able to make my own more extensive range trip this Friday. The new charging handle came in and... yeah, that's an upgrade.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dingleberry posted:

I used to see those cheap at Montana pawnshops, back when I lived there. I called 'em "International Harvesters" because they look like scrap tractor parts.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I put two boxes through the 1095 at 15 yards offhand standing just to check reliability, which was 100%.

First box:

All the spread on this is from me having too much fun and getting going too fast. This gun will do groups as good as I can, so I'll need to sit down at a bench to find it's ultimate accuracy.

10mm has never felt so soft; this is going to get very expensive.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

glynnenstein posted:

I put two boxes through the 1095 at 15 yards offhand standing just to check reliability, which was 100%.

First box:

All the spread on this is from me having too much fun and getting going too fast. This gun will do groups as good as I can, so I'll need to sit down at a bench to find it's ultimate accuracy.

10mm has never felt so soft; this is going to get very expensive.

Jesus, that's better than I expected. I think I might have to grab one whenever my license gets sorted.

Are there any hi-point conversions that are fun to use? It's all so cheap!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

that avatar was in poor taste, and you'll probably change this one anyway, but let's contribute a bit to lowtax's health insurance at least have something better for a small while

- scrooge mcduck

Ygolonac posted:

I used to see those cheap at Montana pawnshops, back when I lived there. I called 'em "International Harvesters" because they look like scrap tractor parts.

Ironically International Harvester made guns and pretty attractive ones at that.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tonight I'll put that match down to that gasoline
Spin that rusty wheel and be burned by the steam
Tonight I'll take that main line directing to the drain
If you don't see me tomorrow know I died as I pleased

Just got back from a full-day carbine class on a hot range (strapped to the gun for eight hours inclusive of some manual labor) and blended up a mudslide with homemade Irish cream. Is good day.

Anyway, ran 500 rounds through the 4095 from 7-100 yards. Experienced one failure to feed (bullet meplat hung up on the lip of the feedramp) in my most tired/abused magazine. The rest of the class wasn't much to talk about because it just ran. Even hostage rescue shots at 100 yards to enforce accuracy with a hardcore no-shoot saw it keeping up with a pack of ARs, all running red dots or low power magnified optics. About my only complaint was the safety not being ambi. The included sling is also too short to run as a strapped-in two point and is rough on the ole neck as a result. Even the field stripping* wasn't too bad after a few forced reps during the beginning of the class.

The instructor snorted when he found out what I was running but pretty impressed with me sticking with the pig. Other students weren't so happy when going from rifle to rifle and having to practice a few reloads with each other's guns. I noticed other people checking my target between drills to see how the potmetal abomination was holding up. People were also amused by the mellow report versus a bunch or braked 5.56 carbines. I thought I might have come up with something noteworthy to comment on after a class. Not really beyond being even more impressed with the carbines. Stupid things just shoot and shoot well. Actually, the magazine clips on the stock!

I got to shoot alongside people running various fancy mag pouches and out of pockets. I was consistently one of the fastest reloads from the stock clips, which I used exclusively. Even the instructor commented that they were a neat concept and worked great. More PCC stocks really should come with hollows in which to tuck a spare mag or two.

My 96D probably generated more drama. From it being a DAO on a line of strikers and DA/SAs to the Short & Weak Chambering to the "faggy" tiffany blue holster and mag pouch. Instructor dug the grips, though.

* Both optic and irons held zero through multiple disassemblies, by the way. That surprised me.

E: Ammo was 180 grain S&B full metal jacket. After seeing it make easy headshots at 15 yard from the 96D and stay in there out to 100 from the carbine, I can easily recommend it as Good poo poo.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at May 28, 2018 around 00:24

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Is that the ten millimetre one? Because after watching a lot of videos I think I need one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

40 S&W though one student had just bought a Glock model 20 and left actually considering Hi-Point's new 10mm carbine

«2 »