Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

God Hole posted:

if you press up down square square triangle L1 R1 then the game will get interrupted by a cinematic where your party members jump in front of sephiroth before he penetrates aeris
Same but Cloud and Tifa near the Highwind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Who What Now posted:

If anything Tifa should be mad at Cloud because she's clearly in love with Aerith too.

Their friendship was always great, but it's really good in the remake. And, yeah, like I said before, they seem more into each other than Cloud. Like, Tifa IS probably real good at high fives.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Their friendship was always great, but it's really good in the remake. And, yeah, like I said before, they seem more into each other than Cloud. Like, Tifa IS probably real good at high fives.

I could swear Tifa and Aerith high five each other in the sewers but I can't find a clip anywhere.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I could swear Tifa and Aerith high five each other in the sewers but I can't find a clip anywhere.

It's okay, you know in your heart and that makes it true no matter what!!! :unsmith:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's okay, you know in your heart and that makes it true no matter what!!! :unsmith:

It was somewhere around when they were talking about going shopping and making Cloud carry the bags/packages.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It was somewhere around when they were talking about going shopping and making Cloud carry the bags/packages.

It's an old and probably sexist gag but still funny when they give an absurd amount of shopping bags and boxes to the anime hero with super-strength who has no real problem with them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I didn't find that clip, but I did see this.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I don't own a PS4 and just watched a Let's Play while trying to skip over the dungeons and sidequests, and I am wondering if I skipped a scene with Rude. Had he ever met Tifa before the scene at the Sector 7 pillar?

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 21, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

dividertabs posted:

I don't own a PS4 and just watched a Let's Play while trying to skip over the dungeons and sidequests, and I am wondering if I skipped a scene with Rude. Had he ever met Tifa before the scene at the Sector 7 pillar?

He is blown away by her beauty, as we all should be

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also kinda weird how everyone's so into Lady Cloud, but I think because they've got the ice queen look nailed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also kinda weird how everyone's so into Lady Cloud, but I think because they've got the ice queen look nailed.

Well, he wasn’t kidding when he said he nailed it. Moving on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually come to think of it, feels like Cloud might have been even more more influential than I thought, considering 'massive dork who happens to have incredible fighting skills and tries to act like a cool guy' is actually kind of an archetype of its own in video games in particular; Travis Touchdown comes to mind as one played more for comedy, but arguably both Solid Snake and Big Boss are similar as in-universe famous badasses who are actually huge dorks once you get to know them. I think it might even be something of a default archetype for Clover/Platinum type games, with protagonists who can flip between genuine badassery and cartoon shenanigans, usually because they're good at exactly one thing. (Ammy comes to mind)

I suppose it's arguably just a video game variant on your typical idiot savant shonen anime protagonist, though most of them are usually defined by their lack of active facades or social filters. (Goku, Naruto, Luffy) And it makes a lot of sense for video games in particular, where the protagonist is to some extent a player stand-in and their successes and failures depend on the player's skill- and most players are going to lose a lot.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

dividertabs posted:

I don't believe it's explicitly shown, but the Turks have been fighting and investigating various iterations of AVALANCHE for a long time. There's a very good chance he already knows who Tifa is, and he's probably even been to Sector 7 on reconnaissance missions before.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Rude explicitly has a crush on Tifa on the original, so I guess we can assume they knew each other at some point before he joined the Turks?

I wanted more Aership and Tseng background.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Rude explicitly has a crush on Tifa on the original, so I guess we can assume they knew each other at some point before he joined the Turks?

I wanted more Aership and Tseng background.

You'd think Rude would learn after the last object of his affection turned out to be an AVALANCHE spy, he's obviously a sucker for punishment.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

You'd think Rude would learn after the last object of his affection turned out to be an AVALANCHE spy, he's obviously a sucker for punishment.

Maybe that's his fetish.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Maybe Rude saw the footage of Tifa roundhouse kicking a robot so hard it exploded when Shinra caught them on camera before the airbuster fight and just went "Where has this woman been all my life?!"

Crush from the OG game aside, he also refuses to actively fight Tifa and Aerith in his boss encounters, so he could have just been against Reno mowing down a lady with a machine gun in general.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

Maybe Rude saw the footage of Tifa roundhouse kicking a robot so hard it exploded when Shinra caught them on camera before the airbuster fight and just went "Where has this woman been all my life?!"

Crush from the OG game aside, he also refuses to actively fight Tifa and Aerith in his boss encounters, so he could have just been against Reno mowing down a lady with a machine gun in general.

Didn't rude train under Zangan too or was that some fan theory I read 20 years ago.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Doesn't he attack Aerith by flinging Cloud at her?

I know that sounds ridiculous but I swear he did that to me in the Sector 5 boss fight.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LadyPictureShow posted:

He attacks Aeris normally in the OG. It's only Tifa he'll refuse to fight. Period. You can even cheese it by having everyone but her go down and he'll just stand there in silence.

e: i'm pretty sure Rude didn't know Tifa before the game fwiw and just started crushing on her immediately upon the Turks encountering the group

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Rude had good taste, basically?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In this game he does nonlethal chops on Aerith and throws sleeping potions (and Cloud) at her.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

To be fair, keeping her alive for Shinra is kind of his job.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NGL I love Remake Rude way more than old school FFVII Rude. I feel like he has way more depth now

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rude doesn't really attack Tifa on the plate fight in the remake either. He doesn't aim at her when still in the helicopter and only gives her like a light elbow when he's actually in the fight, whereas he throws everything at Cloud and Barret.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

He also deliberately fucks up shooting at her from the helicopter. Reno kind of notices but he's more invested in his shtick than his actual job. I giggled!

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I remembered this but the first time it was mentioned in the original they had previously met once or twice. I'm looking forward to that goofy scene in Gongaga.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
They hooked up on the dating app Shindr

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

dividertabs posted:

I remembered this but the first time it was mentioned in the original they had previously met once or twice. I'm looking forward to that goofy scene in Gongaga.

It's a huge shame that you can skip Gongaga so easily. I managed to the first time I played somehow and was like WHOA WHAT on my second playthrough.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

vyst posted:

NGL I love Remake Rude way more than old school FFVII Rude. I feel like he has way more depth now

I feel like the technology just didn't exist at the time to show his infinite sunglasses supply.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

LadyPictureShow posted:

SHINRA Major Crimes
Turks Division

Case #OXHA-777
Ongoing Investigation of Terrorist Organization AVALANCHE - Sector 7 Cell

Affiant: Rude

Evidentiary Description: Clip taken from the ongoing surveillance the Turks are conducting on Sector 7 Slums community bar "7th Heaven", identified by a confidential informant as a known hotspot for radical discourse and a hub for terrorist activity in the region. Footage features suspect Tifa Lockhart (street name "Dolphin Blow") breaking up a bar fight between two inebriated civilians. It is the first known instance of the suspect showcasing her martial prowess and thus deemed 'Pertinent' by team leader Tseng.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoU4aMwmfCE

The initial aggressor, hereafter referred to as "Victim 21", was intercepted at University of Midgar Medical Center. The affiant notes that Victim 21 was visibly catatonic and refused to engage in interrogation, stating only that he had seen the "final heaven". Affiant will follow up with Victim 21 subsequent to his expected release from Midgar Medical in 7 months.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's a huge shame that you can skip Gongaga so easily. I managed to the first time I played somehow and was like WHOA WHAT on my second playthrough.

So you never got Deathblow first time round wtf

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rude's sunglasses replacement was amazing ngl.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

So you never got Deathblow first time round wtf

And I didn't get Titan or whatever, either! (But I had never played a game before besides, like, Mario.)

SirSamVimes posted:

Rude's sunglasses replacement was amazing ngl.

fuckin' a

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

And I didn't get Titan or whatever, either! (But I had never played a game before besides, like, Mario.)

fuckin' a

I missed Alexander first time round, but I think most people did

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dell_Zincht posted:

I missed Alexander first time round, but I think most people did

Was that the one from the Glacier or the one that hops around on the way to the City of the Ancients?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Glacier.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

the one that hops around on the way to the City of the Ancients?

That's Kjata, and I think it appears way too late in the game to be super helpful.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That's Kjata, and I think it appears way too late in the game to be super helpful.

The end of disc 1 is only halfway through the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Kjata is useless against most bosses as lots of them either absorb or are immune to one of either fire, lightning or ice magic.

If you get it BEFORE the Temple of the Ancients, using it on Red Dragon heals him, for instance.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 23, 2020