Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

final fantasy 7 is good

I wish i still enjoyed video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

which one was the strategy guide with the renderings of the different weapons? A friend had it in middle school and I thought it was the coolest

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

scott zoloft posted:

this is a boy

a hot boy with big sexy boy titties

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I always took cloud to be kind of snarky and sarcastic but then in Advent Children he's just a dark, whispering sad man

what is up with that??

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Just make ff7-2

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I would play that

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

did the whole one wing thing happen because the song is called One Winged Angel?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

why is every FF story after FF9 an incomprehensible mess why are anime fans this way

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Twelve Batmans posted:

FF9 kinda falls apart at the end too even though it's my favorite FF. It's obvious that Hades was supposed to have a bigger role and LOLNECRON feels like such an rear end-pull the first time you play through. Also the mix-maxing in 9 is loving obnoxious.

actually yeah after i wrote that I realized I wasn't really sure what happened after the second act of 9 but yes it is a good game and the only FF i still own on original playstation discs

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I genuinely enjoyed my time playing FFX-2 but then my macho dad caught me playing it and made me question my already fragile grasp on my masculinity

i'm glad he's dead

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

FF8 is very good I had a good time with it

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Tag yourself im the 31st citation

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

they don't have the balls to remake it

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Nomura is a garbage video game designer, so none of this is surprising to me.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Speaking of easy games, this is a bit tangential, but what are some games that you end up being incredibly overpowered for really easily?

I was playing Castlevania: SOTN recently and realized that if you do even a tiny bit of exploring you can end up incredibly powerful for almost every encounter, and enemies will be hitting you for 1 damage while you're shield rodding your way to victory.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

From what I understand with Cloud and how he became a lovely emo character is that he was designed by Nomura but written by someone else entirely. When Nomura started helming Kingdom Hearts he completely re-interpreted Cloud's character because that style is what he's into. He refers to the edgy, emo characters in FF8 as his "actual style of drawing", and he also helped develop their personalities. This new interpretation of Cloud became THE interpretation, since Nomura also directed Advent Children and the FF7 sequels/prequels.

It sucks that Nomura is now in charge of all of these new FF games, because I honestly really can't stand anything FF-related since he took charge. I'm waiting for him to get out or give someone else the reins so that they can make the true-to-form old-school FF game we all want.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 9, 2018

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Octopath is real good.

IDK it's fine I guess. I come to RPGs for fun mechanics and cool characters, but the Octopath characters are just cardboard cut outs who never interact with one another.

I want them to take that exact same combat and stick it into a more realized/interesting world, and with actual character interaction. Also if they could change the fact that every "overworld" map is just a bunch of roads with chests would be great.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

just gonna reiterate that FF15 sucks immense rear end and whenever someone says they liked it I get very confused

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

yeah I don't remember chocobo racing being particularly great. I remember really intense slow down and I know you could game the system but that mostly depended on the breeding system, which was a huge chore and took forever

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I'm surprised people remember chocobo breeding fondly, because even in my video game addicted, 10-year old with infinite time state, I thought chocobo breeding sucked and was incredibly boring and time consuming, even with a strategy guide.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

communism bitch posted:

I was the loving nerd who went and mastered multiple copies of each materia, bred as many gold chocobos as you could with the limits on stable size, and made enough money that the counter glitched off the screen because I kept playing my 99:59:59 save for years like some cut-rate ulillillia. I was a terrible child.

I remember when 99+ hours was considered a lot for one game, but now that seems like nothing

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

all of this new FF15 content coming out is becoming comical

I don't know anyone who actually likes that game beyond "it was ok", but I'm guessing it's making a butt load of money for Square Enix to be so balls to the wall with their continuation of that specific IP.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

as for jRPGs I'm really looking forward to borrowing Dragon Quest 11 after my cousin finishes it in approximately 3.5 years

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Guy on internet with opinions about video games

https://youtu.be/v8lvAq_yp_w

"At one point during 15s development nomura stormed into the squareenix executives office and demanded 15 be restructured into a musical because he just saw the hugh Jackman Le Miserables movie and loved it"

Lol

Super Eyepatch Wolf makes good, if not lofty, videos. This was also good, and made me remember just how poo poo FF15 is. That there are people defending it in the comments completely blows my mind. It was an objectively bad game, but I guess some people just like trash.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

octopath traveler was cool until you realized your characters would never interact with one another and everything between big story beats is mindless

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The people who often review specific games are the people who those games are aiming to appeal to. The people who review games in a series are often fans of that series. you don’t hand assassins creed 17 to someone who hated AC since day one. You give it to someone who reblogs Ubisoft tweets and owns a hidden blade they got in a $400 collectors edition

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I want them to make a straight up old school Final Fantasy game with 4-6 fun characters, a simple story, and classes

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Persona, Nino No Kuni, Tales of Berseria (if you like Tales games). A new Dragon Quest just dropped.

Tales of Berseria blows. I picked it up as a rec from this forum because I wanted a Jrpg to play and it is such utter trash.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Heath posted:

What didn't you like about it? It's weaker than Vesperia but it's good in its own way

The story hook is cool but the gameplay is trash, the graphics are bad, and the progression system is awful.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I do wonder how, in ff7r part 11 out in 2029, will they handle Cloud's mako poisoning since the original game went for a really uh problematic depiction

he'll come out with down syndrome and lead a 30% happier life

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

i appreciated how ff7 didn't go too far with the obnoxious fantasy jargon like some later entries did. it was a very relatable world in the sense that the language being used was familiar and terms for things were recognizable. I didn't need a dictionary to keep track of all the different elements of the story or the world

names for things seemed relatively organic. SHINRA corp, SOLDIER, the Ancients, Mako energy, Gold Saucer, Lifestream, materia, etc.

but now they're introducing these "guardians of fate" and I just don't get it. It reeks of that post-ff9 lingo that's just way too wordy and meaningless

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I want a honeybees gang tag

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I want both tags tbh they’re so good

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Mercedes posted:

I've always wondered about that, how does he get used to it?

doesn't blind as a status effect not work in a bunch of FF games

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

cloud wears a sweater vest that's also a turtleneck

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I played the demo and enjoyed it for the most part. The combat is a bit floaty, and I hope the game isn't as linear as the demo.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

yool-tim-ah wee-pon

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

esperterra posted:

ayo gg!

Anybody who would like gang tags, please quote this post with the tags you would like, and whether they will be added to or replacing any current tags you may have. To keep it from getting too crazy (and to keep my status as the craziest) I'ma limit y'all to like 3 tags (including any you may want to keep from before) total. To all the goons patient enough to wait for this day, thank you! And to the goons who donated to this dead gay forum instead of waiting, thank you x2!

Please make my life easier and just link the tags you want in the format you want in your replies, so I can just copy and paste that poo poo. Below are the usable links:

This thread rules and I've had a blast in it from day one, and the quality content coming from it as we ramp up to the release has blessed my cold homosexual soul. I can't wait to simultaneously love and hate this game with all of you, when it drops.

I would like honey bees, squat squad, and planet killers please

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 10, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

When I saw the ff7 commercial I thought the mouth screaming out the window was the villain of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Or that weird swinging wire in Midgar that you need to jump on at the exact right moment or you’ll fall a few feet