Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Jaggedstagger posted:

How did the card game in IX work?

Some bullshit about card sides representing strength values for either phys/magical attack or defense. The rare cards had high values and were good against everything. I only ever bothered with that poo poo for the tournament to beat bug king.

I wanna see some grade A anime gore for when Jenova busts out and starts murdering everyone in the Shinra HQ. Probably won't get it, but it should be some The Thing level poo poo.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nope:

Game is still gonna suck though. Smashing button FF is terrible and boring. It's like a lovely Tales of game only it takes itself 100% seriously.

Not quite soccer ball tits, but almost there.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I'm princess garnet's lovingly textured butt.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
If you are gonna remaster something, do Xenogears. That game definitely deserved more attention.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I just hated how some areas couldn't be backtracked thanks to the dark aeons showing up and wrecking my poo poo.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I don't think it aged that bad. Half the game is sprites and all the cutscenes are anime. And most of the models are robots and it's okay for them to have sharp angles.

So I won't accept a Xenogears remake unless it's not just updated but also all that stuff on Disk 2 is actually finished and playable.

I forgot about that, there's a really jarring part of the game where significant events and other stuff are going down but it gets explained to you in still shots. Some of the stuff sounds like it could have been neat to see fleshed out instead of being someone talking to themselves while thinking about it.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Zidane totally tapped that rat.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

bloom posted:

The part about them growing up together def feels like they came up with it halfway through development, crammed it in there and went "um gfs cause amnesia or whatever?"

And they all just happen to run into each other by fate. There must be something about not wearing the school uniforms that make you far superior to the other thousands of students in these military colleges.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Tricky D posted:

Gonna be hard to remake that scene where Cloud tells the fake story about Nibelheim when you have to render Tifa's facial expressions.

:Blatant clue from cutting to Tifa looking uneasy after a statement by Cloud:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The counter intuitive leveling wasn't so bad for FF8 since the game gave you options to make it work and it's one of those games where bosses don't give you anything except maybe an item and skill points. Basically stay below level 20 until you get to disk 3 where you can customize your GF's to do stat bonuses if you gave a drat about that. Or spend hundreds of hours eating T-rexes.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Obsidianheart posted:

There was a demo, I think with Brave Fencer Musashi? It was the first mercenary mission with everyone in their non-SeeD outfits, and Yuffie swapped out with Rinoah, and it ended with that sequence of Squall being chased across the beach by the unstoppable death robot after it chased everyone through the town and I was hooked.

Then the actual game had that mission changed around, but not a lot, and I was kinda 'eh' about it until Quistis started unloading with that machine gun, and then I was like "gently caress yeah".

Just LOL if you didn't destroy spider nemesis thing yourself.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
It was fun as hell finding ways in FFT to make overpowered job class combos. So many neat little details and mechanics to the combat.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

shinra please

At least give us a highly rendered scene of him looking down on the destruction of Sector 7 while swiveling some wine from his penthouse view.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
PE2 was legit gameplay wise, and the golem dudes were neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptybD4UhJM

I've always had a soft spot for resident evil like games where examining the world around you sometimes lets you see into the character's personality like PE2 does.

3 is trash, though.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

esperterra posted:

Sure as hell feels short, lol

It really does. You have the intro, then you hit a few temples with mostly Tidus reflecting on what he's seeing. A little world building as you go between the temples, inter cut with Sin attacks. Reach the 'end' of the journey to get the airship then it's endgame content time.

precision posted:

and also they forgot to give Amarant a personality

I get the feeling he was there to fill the 'cool' guy role in the cast.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 2, 2018

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I've been playing the FFT:Advanced game so far and I've been liking it. It has it's differences from the PSX one but I don't mind it too much, especially on my phone. Do other people not like it and its sequel?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Anybody remember Beyond the Beyond on psx? Now there's a game that could benefit from a remake. While it was a failure, it failed for obvious and fixable reasons.

One, the "random encounters" knob was turned up way past anything appropriate or reasonable and it wasn't just an annoyance, it made the game impossible. If that wasn't bad enough the dungeons were huge, difficult maze puzzles shown zoomed way in so you couldn't see where you were going, and each random encounter made you lose your sense of direction.

Two, the translation quality was the very highest levels of cringe seen out of that era, making all the other games being talked about seem splendid.

The reasons to remake it would be its redeeming qualities that got drowned out by the above. The music was way, way better than it deserved to be for this game. The camera spinning around in circles during battle was cool for a 2D game. The characters were interesting. Really bad poo poo happened to them. I think it could be good.

This was a game I had gotten during my first year with a PSX when it was still new, and it was always "that one RPG I could never finish." Replaying it with an emulator is nice since the stat gains you get per level are mostly random and you can savestate scum it to get the best stat boosts per level. I can't imagine having to reset your entire system for every level gained like some walkthroughs would suggest :psyduck:

I really enjoyed the art design for many of the monsters and characters during the battle sequences, that style is great.

Cloud was always partial to the green materia.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 15, 2018

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

communism bitch posted:

There's one town you go to first but I forget the name; just some little hamlet nearby.
In a house there there's a potion in a cuboard upstairs and Cloud can't reach it for some reason (You can interact with it but he says he can't reach or whatever) and it drove me fuckin nuts as a kid.
Never did get it as I recall. I even tried going back when different characters lead the party every now and then, but no dice.

If you check it enough times Cloud gets frustrated, hits it, and the item falls on his head.

The pacing and tone of the game slows down so much right as you leave Midgar. If it's not your first time it can be a little disengaging.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Also to grind by fast forwarding through every hundreds of random encounters so you can just keep doing that later no matter how frequent or hard they get :thumbsup:

Yeah you'll still be drowning in random encounters but at least you have that team command that makes your guys hit with their hardest stuff every turn or just melee rush. Loooots of holding down the turbo frame skip button though.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 16, 2018

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

communism bitch posted:

I didn't believe you so i just looked up a walkthrough to ffvii in tyool 2018 and holy poo poo you aint lying

I wouldn't feel too bad, it was the same for me. gently caress that cabinet.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Tambaloneus posted:

It's a pity it's going to be episodic, my greatest wish was that the two weapons that appear partway through spend the rest of the game stalking you and stomping your sorry arse into the dust every chance they get. Presumably they'll be locked into forced encounters now. Half the fun of underwater parts was not knowing where that underwater dragon was going to be and knowing if you so much as bumped it you would be chewed up and spat out as chum. It made it so much more satisfying to come back later fully leveled out and minmaxed to the gills and fight it. Ruby weapon beat me to death with my own limbs any time I tried so imagine it lurking underground everywhere you go it might haul itself out and get its smite on. Then if you're levelling up somewhere the ground starts shaking and BOOM it's in your face fuckers you going to run away now?

... buuut it's going to be "you have to fight this now to move on" isn't it. Come to think of it, if it's like ffxiii style will it even be possible to level up anywhere by running around? I mean that underwater ghost ship thing and the parade were key "what am I doing with my loving life" grinding zones.

About the Weapons, I never understood that story wise. They're like ancient monsters made by the world to defend it against threats exactly like Jenova and Sephiroth but they just gently caress around doing either nothing or attacking small innocent villages (except for that one that got headshotted at Junon and the one attacking Midgar).

Motherfuckers, those millions of random monsters are born from Jenova, attack them instead. Or go to the North continent where there's stupidly large amounts of magic being used and Sephiroth is actively summoning a world-ending power. Not the people who have all quit their jobs and gone renegade to save the planet!

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 17, 2018

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

bradzilla posted:

If Sephiroth can block Holy, it's reasonable to assume he can use the Weapons

That does make sense if he can do it with Jenova. Although it still brings up that point about how ridiculously strong Sephiroth's will is. He may be a supersoldier and all that, but ancient Cthonian beings and an alien invader being mind controlled by him still comes off as being a little much.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Jimmy Hats posted:

Tidus is buff but only in the shorts area, especially that one leg you cant see

I think a small nod to that was when he lift Cid up by his shirt/neck with one hand during an argument about Yuna. Of course Cid pays him back with throwing Tidus over his shoulder :keke:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

duck trucker posted:

"I won't be talked about in the past tense!"

*Runs out of the room*

(Future Wheel chair guy resumes position outside door)

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Elentor posted:

Costa Del Sol makes me feel at home and has a great theme but if we're going by music Cosmo Canyon also owns.

I really like Icicle Inn and I wish it was bigger. The way it mixes cold and warm colors is so good.

The music alone makes you think of hot coco and sitting in front of a cozy fire while it's freezing out too.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Kind of a bummer for all those people working on it only to have it all thrown out. Maybe it's for the best :shrug:

Having only played up to X and X-2, are inns ever used much in the games after that? Inns used to be something of a hallmark staple in RPG's in that it's the place you retreat to for healing up and restoring your characters that isn't a character's home/hideout/base. In X and X-2, staying at an inn wasn't necessary as all you have to do is touch a save sphere (which are everywhere) to fully restore your guys. It's quick and convenient, but I dunno... It used to be that you would make that long hall back to the nearest town after getting tore up by random battles to get ready for the next dangerous place you have to explore, sometimes limping your way back to a safe place using the last of your healing items and powers to make it there. There's something about that that gives a bit more of a role play feel to an RPG. The save sphere healing system is super convenient and saves time, but I've always liked using inns. Of course there are a lot of games where inns cost something like 20 gold even at a point in the game when your characters are raking in hundreds of thousands of gold and can self heal and restore without ever having to use one.

Shut up, I like using inns.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Mother fuckin' ochu...

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Papa Emeritus III posted:

I agree with this.

I also love Setzer but most people didnt care for him. :v:

Anyone ever do the CES challenge? Beat the game with only Edgar, Celese, and Setzer in the party

How do you survive those split party sections? Just constantly run away when you are forced to use the others?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Technology is evil, but don't you loving dare touch my water-soccer. Spin the bloody baaaaalllll!!!

I forgot how much, but one of the Ochu type guys gives a lot of those Return/teleport spheres that are amazing for leveling up if you use a high enough bribe with them. Once you've captured one and can fight them at the arena, you can stack those spheres if you've got money to spare.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 7, 2018

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Obsidianheart posted:

Read that as "Tits lovely", probably because of the subject.

I do like how Yuffie refers to Tifa as busty or chesty or something like that when you try to recruit Yuffie at the time Cloud went all Schiavo and Tifa was calling the shots.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea and nobody liked it, and Yoko Taro said that was when hed stop trying to appeal to western audiences cuz western audiences are drawn to Japanese games, not Japanese games pandering to the West

Not Square Enix but Frank West from Dead Rising was deliberately made less attractive to get away from the twink teen pretty boy trend of protagonist in Japanese games, and he turned out to be a hit with western audiences.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Meme Emulator posted:

Well that game has a western setting, tossing a bishie in there wouldnt make a lot of sense.

poo poo, you're right. But I do recall the creator mentioning how tired they were of that trend.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

:Quietly saves:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Black August posted:

gently caress Chu Chu

gently caress CHU CHU

Who did people roll with in Xenogears? Citan and usually Ellie for me since Ellie was pretty broken herself. If you concentrated on giving her personal equipment and her gear equipment items that enhances her magic, she can cast lightning and 9999 everything with every shot. I need to do a Chu Chu run one of these days.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

This dumb thread has me playing FF7 again. Are there any brief guides on where to pick up easily missable items/abilities etc that aren't written by an insane 10 year old?

I still have an ancient Unofficial Strategy Guide walkthrough book with pictures :c00lbert:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think only some ultimate weapons/LBs are missable.

Off the top of my head, you need to have Barret in your party on the stairway up to the Hojo fight to get his ultimate weapon in a chest; I think you need to play Tifa’s theme on the piano all the way back in the flashback and do it again in ‘disc 3’ in order to score her final LB, go to the Nibelheim basement to get the ‘Zack scene’ late in the game.

Find Lucretia's cave after getting Vincent, fight several random battles with Vincent in your party, go back to Lucretia's Cave to get Vincent's ult limit break and ult weapon.

Edit: gently caress, double post.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Elentor posted:

Do you guys mean this poster

That's definitely the one. My sister's cat clawed it up at some point.

They need a wheelchair bound Cloud drooling and being googly eyed in Soul Caliber as a Secret unlock, with new move list.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I remember being taken aback by the first time I saw Terra's portrait in game for FF 6. So drat white!

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Inflate the tits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Rutibex posted:

Cloud gets laid at the honeybee inn

[Cloud is stuck in a bathtub with many muscular men...]
Mukki: Isn't bathing great...? It soothes your heart. How is it, bubby!? Feels good, huh?
Cloud: .........I don't feel good. Let me out...
Mukki: You'll get used to it. Try counting to ten.
Cloud: Ten...
Mukki: Hey bubby, how old are you?
Cloud: Eight... Twenty one...
Mukki: You're less then half my age. I'm so jealous. So how 'bout it...? Do you wanna join my "Young bubby's" group?
Cloud: ............Seven... Six... Not to be rude or anything, but could you go do someone else?
Mukki: Well, if that's how you feel...too bad. We have a trip planned at a cabin out in the country.
Cloud: Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Alright, that's ten. I'm gettin' out.

Fister Roboto posted:

Fei is one of the few JRPG protagonists who canonically and unambiguously gets laid, so he's got that going for him.

We also get to see his butt.