Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Honestly Final Fantasy 7 getting remade will be wonderful cuz it will show everyone just how f****** stupid it was and we'll see a bunch of dumbass nerds have conniption fits over it

Also if I know squaresoft they will fix everything except for the translation problems, you know like the most problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

P-Mack posted:

If you're drawing magic you're a sucker, just convert cards and items. The game is extremely broken and it's great.

Yeah lol if you didn't Craft things from cards and junk wait a minute

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

It would be nice to see a final, definitive and to the final fantasy series. But I can't imagine what that would look like and how they would placate millions of angry fans.

then again I'm one of those crazy people who thinks stories shouldn't continue forever eternally

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

All the coolest stuff from final fantasy 7 that I really would like to see what's the artist's original vision was - like Jenova and the Weapons - will never see the light of day if they release this in chunks. That's a drat shame.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

for all its quirks and shortfalls FF7’s English script felt raw and real in a way the other games never really matched. characters mutter fragments of sentences, they occasionally lose coherence, they talk around subjects without ever really confronting what they mean to say

it’s an effect that’s inextricable from the translation’s jank and we’ll probably never see its like again

Disturb the poo poo out of me and I'm happy it's getting fixed. One person talking like a schizophrenic weirdo is fine, when your whole cast does it it's hosed.

I don't know what your conversations are like IRL, but when I'm talking to people we generally have a point to the conversation

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Can't really argue with that.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

Disc one has the space witch screaming about how shes going to kill all of you when you she gets free which is whats on every tv channel, an antagonist who joins the villain because its just like the movies he watched growing up, downloading physical things from the internet, an undead body double of a president, a villain having her parade dancers do thriller, your sniper not mentioning why he sucks at sniping, the legendary ancient civilization who traveled the stars and left ruins everywhere and nobody knows anything about dissappeared only 80 years ago, and its all in a world where hover boards without visible power sources exist regular coal powered trains and gas cars exist.

Edit: and monsters travel from the moon to gently caress up human civilization. Anyone who thinks disc one is unconnected or more normal is deluding themselves.

Final fantasy 8 being terrible and great at the same time is my favorite topic. Once again allmost of these things are really loving cool if they were presented with some kind of appropriate narrative tone and coherence. These child soldiers just straight-up murder people and it's treated as though nothing wrong is happening. You don't even get the idea of the fact that they don't use radio transmissions because Adel wants to get back down and kill everyone till the second and third disk.

the game is also hamstrung by its own technical limitations that make it hard to understand why a continent-sized nation would need to rely on mercenary groups. It's not even very well explained weather the gardens operate within a Private structure or government structure.

The writers just had a bunch of ideas they wanted to match together and didn't take time to really explore any single one.which is a drat shame because the game has some of my favorite environments, sets and music that I still listen to to this day

"monsters travel from the moon to gently caress up human civilization." Also rules

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 15, 2019

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Holy poo poo he really is 32 oh, I always figured Cid was like late 40s/mid-50s bitter guy who was going to end his career on a high note going into space but got screwed over by a technical fault

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

JRPGs in the old days seemed to be pretty economical to the point of abstraction and mostly didn't care about the world making much sense, the combat especially tended to be abstract as hell. It's harder to do that in modern development where all the detailed assets especially in Square's house style means you have to make everything look like part of the world, which is going to be jarring when they've forgotten institutionally what the game's setting and tone were even meant to be about.

setting and tone are going to sink this game, they won't be able to reconcile the zany weird and abstract enemies in combat system from the gritty, mature story and atmosphere.

I'm not being deliberately pedantic here, but bring some of these things come from the gameplay and story elements of final fantasy 7 are very much removed from each other and that works pretty well for the chibby low-res world of PlayStation 1. It's going to be harder to make the system of work when everything has to look realistic and not pull you out of the world

hell, even when I was a kid meteor didn't make much sense because my characters were dropping comets on their enemies already

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 28, 2019

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

The truly insane are claiming it will come with voice acting, which friend, I assure you it will not

Does anyone know why squares voice acting in their jrpgs is so poo poo? Everyone's sounds like they're loving 10 years old

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

give doomtrain a big honkin dong

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

kloa posted:

Are people going to grind Episode 1 to level 99 and just breeze through the remaining episodes? :lol:

Does actually a very legitimate observation, considering how much time some people will sink into this.

E: of course, this also assumes the other parts will ever be made

Lol how amazing would it be from the story after midgar and kill sephiroth off screen, a la Simpsons

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 25, 2019

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Like the original game was, you mean? Because yeah you could technically go anywhere once you had a Golden Chocobo but until Disc 2 the game was pretty strict about which path you could take.

Even this doesn't really make sense, since a lot of that wide open space was just that: loving nothing. I always liked the scenario format of Witcher 2 and think that might work reasonably well here.

overworlds in general seem like a throwback gameplay mechanic to a time before they could really render enormous environments like they can today. I really can't remember the last time I played a game with a defined point where I exited an environment, entered a large map and traveled to the next environment. Outside of DA:O which was literally a map.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

you know, the game for the n64 digital disc add on. you run around as link looking for the triforce and there's this sick scene where you finally find assemble it at a temple--well maybe you've seen the screenshots but long story short obviously america never got the DD

e:

speaking from experience being a fat teenager and growing out of it is way better than being a skinny teenager and then just getting crazy fat because you didn't learn good nutritional habits in your 20s :hf:

me every time i see a "29 years and 355 days: 130lbs / 30 years and 0 days: 310 lbs" meme: :smug:

What if I was just a skinny teenager that turned into a skinny adult? I'm waiting for all this fat to catch up to me.

*one more 12am bowl of ice cream*

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

great big cardboard tube posted:

I was the kid who ordered the Chrono Cross soundtrack off eBay and made my mom play the CDs in the car while I read the strategy guide

Oh hey that was me too! I actually had them on my iPod so it was even better when I made her listen to it. I think I did a band project about the intro song (Time's Scar?) in 7th grade.

Quick question related translation, but what is everyone seem to hate the war of the Lions writing? I think it works perfectly for the kind of tone they were going for. And the way each battle/environment is set up, it feels like a stage.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

I liked War of the Lions but the problem people seem to have with it is that a lot of super memorable lines were changed which didn't feel good, if only for the case that it changed the atmosphere and feel of the characters. The most egregious offender is the famous:

"Don't blame me. Blame yourself, or God." *skateboards away*
"Oh, God..."

Like bam, Agrias is unable to blame herself straight out of the gate and is happy to put that blame onto literally anyone else, immediately. Anyone but her. We're immediately given insight into a lot of characters personality and motivations in a big hook of the game. Delita feels like cold and dismissive. This is what needs to be done, and the following scenes only reinforce that. He's the 99% and gets poo poo on constantly. This is eating the rich.

In the WOTL version it was changed to.

""Forgive me. 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I.""

Which has a completely different tone. He isn't absolving himself of blame anymore. People only ask forgiveness if they think your opinion matters. Now he either cares for or respects Agrias, and might even feel remorse over his actions. In the end he doesn't believe he's the real problem here, the 1% still is, but he doesn't feel as certain in his actions.

Not sure if you're confusing Agrias and Ovelia, but I always interpreted this as Delita saying "nothing personal, but this is happening because of your station."

I will grant you that it changes the way his character is portrayed, but I don't think it makes that big of a difference down the line when he falls in love with Ovelia. I mean you're really not even into act 2 before his tone starts changing.

On the other hand the exchange between Agrias and Gafgarian in the monastery is fantastic.

"I see even the Order of the Northern SkyHokuten Knights cannot rid itself of vulgar knaves."

"A guard captain in these rain-sodden hinterlands ought not expect chivalry. We are in the employ if the order, not of it. Our pay does not cover trite courtesies to the likes of you."

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Heath posted:

Sephiroth has (so far) gone from total mystery in the original to haunting specter of Cloud's madness in the remake. I don't think he even appears on screen in the original until the Kalm flashback where you see him rip apart a dragon. Even in the manual his stats and portrait are all big question marks. That is one change I'm kind of not a fan of if only because Sephiroth's mystique was a big part of his appeal as a villain, but he's a victim of his own success in the remake. So while I don't care for seeing him so early, I understand why it was necessary. Like he kind of has to be there for fanservice reasons, and he can't really be mysterious anymore since we're 24 years out from the game.

The game is hitting something of an odd balance between certain minor elements being beat for beat identical to the original, if slightly meatier. The attention to detail is actually pretty staggering, but it stands out all the more when something doesn't conform to the original (Sephiroth showing up, the specters haunting Aeristh, etc)

It's a little too bad, because I played final fantasy 7 in 1999 or 2000? I kind of knew who all the characters were going in, as well as the major Aeris spoiler. At first I never liked Sephiroth because he was so over idolized by fans, but after reading this thread and realizing how wonderfully nuanced things were, things that went clear over my head when I played this is a 13-year-old, would have been nice to experience the mounting dread and mystery of this villain without him being shoved down our throats from the first chapter.

does anyone know how much is in the game? Is it to the end of midgar or into calm or the end of the first disc?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Heath posted:

The Jenova cells are the cool guy part of Cloud's nerd brain

Chad jenova vs Virgin host

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's a perfectly normal name.

Did you screen cap this forever ago and have just been waiting for the appropriate time to work it into a conversation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Watched the back half of the game on YouTube, overall looks good but I'd probably burn out on it (the gameplay loop looks pretty repetitive), but a lot of the changes are great and it was cool seeing more of the world.

I especially liked how sector 7 was on the outskirts of the city, further emphasizing how despondent it was.

The fate poo poo, otoh, can suck a fat dick. The back end fights felt way too anime (other parts were just tolerable anime) and nothing really made sense even from an in world perspective. If they want to diverge from the storyline they don't need to make a weird convoluted in world explanation.

the original story of a super soldier being manipulated by a shape shifting space alien and bending people with space alien cells to his will works just fine. They might be using this as an excuse to get rid of some of The less interesting components of the later game like fort Condor, but why not just cut them out in the first place?

The poo poo with sephiroth really pissed me off, because so much of the first 3rd of the story is about team learning that shinra isn't the real enemy. After that it becomes about stopping sephiroth and cloud rebuilding his shattered psyche. The confrontation with sephiroth at the end is so important and now feels cheapened by the bizarro battle here. A fantastic experience spoiled by what felt like a dog poo poo climax.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 26, 2020