Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
A fuckin Final Fantasy thread in GBS. I love it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

i am setsuna actually owns pretty hard and is really good game to smoke weed and chill

How much have you played? Because it feels like this when you start out but it gets worse and worse until the "luck check" bosses in the middle of the game whose strategies are literally "I hope you got the right drops to make the skill crystals, and that you have them equipped, and that you brought the right party member" (or "leveled all your crystals to +status inflict rate up and spam hagakure").

You might expect the game to get better from there, but from that point on it stays on Maximum poo poo Mode until the credits are finished playing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's really not

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

really? that sounds terrible. the game is so easy for so long i figured it would stay that way

Yeah it's kind of a shame. It all starts when there's a boss who's so fast he gets 2-5 attacks every time you get one. But all of his skills are physical, so the guy who looks like Auron can just cast Counter once and sit on it--the status doesn't go away until you enter a new command, so you win by abusing its 100% evasion rate and the plinky ~30 damage counters it does until the boss dies. Everything else after that also has weird gimmicks, like the boss that casts regen and heals like 9999 every turn :downs:

The exception is that the Hagakure dual tech has a stun proc that works on every enemy in the game, but you have to have been building your skill crystals towards increasing your proc chance every single time the game gives you the option. If you were dumb like me, it'll do great damage and cost very little MP, but it's basically impossible to stun bosses without the increased proc rate because they have resistance.

Of course, actually leveling your skill crystals is random on top of that, and can only happen when you're fighting monsters that are roughly equal to you in strength, so by nature of gaining levels, you slowly make it impossible to get the skill improvement chance.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pneub posted:

All rpg menus and text boxes should always be wood-grain.

Chillgamesh posted:

Another precious thing from FF7 that probably won't be in the remake: Sephiroth constantly walking around with a :aaa: face for no discernable reason. Why does he never close his mouth

Only in the pc version! :eng101: Because I guess Squaresoft was like "wow what are we gonna do with all this extra rendering power? Let's give everyone gaping mouths"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You can't kill Ultimecia in one round, because her final form has like a ten-line monologue, that plays one line every time her turn comes around, and she can't die until she finishes talking even if her HP are reduced to 0
:goonsay:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
we were both half right, at 0 health she plays each line as a reaction to taking damage

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jimmy Hats posted:

FF8 deffo had the best set pieces ever i cannot say this enough

i don't like squall, but i will concede that 8 is a great series of sets from amazing action movies. like you could make ten different films out of the story ff8 tried to tell. together they're a little weird, but taken individually, they're wild

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bradzilla posted:

Disc 3: Time compression begins

time kompression didn't have a cool FMV though. if it had, i bet people would think of it more fondly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tag urself im gf boris

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

2/3rds of the game are leg cramps

laguna doesn't get boners in public that often

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fishing with the fam posted:

It's certainly no Xenogears.

i ship fei x chair, they spent way more time on screen together than fei and elly

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zane posted:

just remake FF6 FOR FUCKS SAKE.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382900/FINAL_FANTASY_VI/
:shepface:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I wonder if you can sex chocobo in this one.

they're gonna have an extremely complex chocobo breeding system, like on the level of those japanese horse racing sims. you have to keep track of pedigrees, training, jockey selection, injury, rivalries, inbreeding, etc etc. you have to win the equivalent of the japan cup to get the gold chocobo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Big Word posted:

Bahamut Lagoon loving owns. Terranigma loving owns. Seiken Densetsu 3 loving owns. Live A Live loving owns and it's real and powerful and my friend.

bahamut lagoon owns but i played it when i was a teenager shortly after my awkward first breakup and o baby

i would not want to do that again

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 29, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I played through that whole game, beat it, and started playing through a second time and still don't know how the damned weapon system really works.

I built one quarter of the perfect ultimate shield and I could talk your ear off about it but basically it's an extremely opaque system that's easy enough but not really accessible. Basically, every enemy has extremely tailored weaknesses and resistances.

For example, golems have low damage resistance vs blunt weapons, dragons have low DR vs piercing, oozes have low DR vs edged, etc. these resistances go from 0-100 and are basically 1:1 damage reduction.

On top of that, each enemy has individual resistances and weaknesses to elements, so a water elemental might be weak vs air. This is an actual weakness, and goes from -100 up to 100, and you should probably think of it as a 1:1 damage reduction OR vulnerability when taking damage from a given type.

Even further, every enemy has a Monster Type. Dragons, Humans, Beasts, Undeads, Constructs, and I think Demons. Weapons have an individual affinity or enmity against each, for yet another ~1:1 bonus or penalty against enemies of their related type. This, too, ranges from -100 up to 100.

Here's the easy(?) part. All weapon types are completely fixed. Swords do Edged damage (or Piercing for the Rapier). Spears do Piercing and sometimes Edged. Bows do Piercing and sometimes Blunt. Daggers do Piercing, and so on and so forth. Each individual blade part and grip (stock in the case of xbows) has a base value for how much affinity they have for a damage type, and it never, ever, ever changes. The only way to change them is to forge a higher-level weapon of that type, and to switch out the stock or grip.

And here's the hard part! All elemental and racial affinities are constantly fluctuating. When you fight humans, every few hits will give you +1 affinity vs Humans, but -1 affinity vs one or two other monster types. When you fight undeads, every few hits gives you +1 vs Undeads, up to 100. Elemental affinity works the same way, but it's way harder to keep track of. Yes, you can grind on elementals, but if you're fighting any other enemy type in the entire game, elemental affinity--and, by extension, the direction in which your affinity shifts--is determined by the armor on the body part you're targeting. So some lizardmen have, like, shields that are weak vs Water, which will give you +1Water/-1Fire, but only when you target their Left Arm. Some humans have boots that are weak vs Air, so targeting their legs will give you +1Air/-1Earth. It's an absolute :psyduck: mindfuck.

There's a menu option to make it so you can see when your affinities shift by 1pt, but it's off by default :eng99:

When you combine weapons or armors at the forge, they inherit all the highest affinity values. So if you have four blades that you grind up to have 100 in every affinity between them (4 is, iirc, the minimum), the resulting weapon after all the merges will have 100 in every affinity and, because nothing ever increases, will permanently do optimal damage to everything you attack.

The intended way to play is, you have to know ahead of time--sometimes hours and hours ahead of time--what bosses and enemy types you'll encounter, and slowly, slooooowly grind your weapons up so they have the optimal affinities to do more than 1 damage to bosses. Cudgel for golems, oh but I hope you didn't accidentally align it to Darkness by fighting a bunch of evil monsters because like 99% of the constructs in the game resist Dark. Spear for dragons, and you better never hit anything that increases its Fire or Air affinity or you're in deep poo poo.

Did you know Goblinoids are classified as Human-type? I hope you didn't bring a Beast weapon for the Ogre.

Vagrant Story is, it's the epitome of... :spergin::goonsay::lsd::confused:

precision posted:

I thought I had Vanguard Bandits but I was thinking of Vandal Hearts, not to be confused with Vagrant Story (seriously, what was up with this trend)

vanguard bandits was originally called epica stella, but zach meston of working designs thought it invoked a streetcar named desire a little too much, so they changed it to ~DETONATOR GAUNTLET~

but then acclaim was like "yo bitch you can't use gauntlet in your title" so they went with Vanguard Bandits

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
isn't final fantasy 8 supposed to be the plot to LOVELESS

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LinYutang posted:

Cloud and Tifa do NOT do sex

only if you're a scrub and a dick to tifa at all times

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

i romanced yuffie :shrug:

i can't wait for ff7r where you can take red xiii on a date in gold saucer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jimmy Hats posted:

they should make a rhythm game that is just the band segment from ff8, forever

umjammer selphie is a wish made before this milennium

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

They haven't made a good stand alone FF game in almost 17 years. And they only made 3 of them in that time frame. Anything they release is going to be worse than the PS1 era games when they peaked, especially if that game is a modern remake of a game from that era.

imo FF15 is one of the best games I've ever played, but ymmv of course.

fishing with the fam posted:

I would replay 9 in a heartbeat if there was a way to completely remove the interminable combat loading screen.

In the ports and remakes, there's no "true" loading, but it's still masked by lots of camera panning because that's hard-coded into the game. The PC remake, however, has a 4x speedup option that can be toggled at the click of a button, so you can just hit speedup whenever you get into a battle. Bonus: unlike emulators, it doesn't speed up the music, only the frameskip.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 29, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I played maybe an hour or so of FF15 drunk at my friend's house. I couldn't find any enemies to fight, I couldn't drive on the wrong side of the road, and none of FF9's songs came up on the radio. I gave up and we just played the Bushido Blade 2 drinking game.

1) There aren't too many random encounters in FF15, like once in a while you'll get ambushed by something small, or spot a Cactuar, but usually it's just exploring. If you wanna fight poo poo you gotta go to the local restaurant and enlist in a monster hunt.
2) Your friend just wasn't using the offroad model, which disables auto-drive completely and you drive wherever gently caress you want. Right side of the road, wrong side of the road, off the road... you can go full GTA mode with enemies, too. I was kinda lukewarm on it at first, but then some magitek troopers dropped in front of my car and I was like "... I wonder :allears:" and I gunned it, turned em into roadkill, and got full EXP credit
3) The radio only plays albums you've bought. Every pitstop sells different CDs and paintjobs for your car, but music is like 100 gil for a selected tracks disc, of which there are two from FF9.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

man nurse posted:

You know what final fantasy game rules? 15. I’ve 100%’d it like twice now, once on PS4 and now on PC. People should play and enjoy it, imo.

"let's go back and play video games."
"go back where."
"... to the hotel room?"
"fat chance."

Rutibex posted:

square should take a note from nintendo and cash in on people that like the old style games. do a "Final Fantasy Maker" and just rip off RPG Maker but include all the art assets and premade monster/item files from FF1-6. i'm sure someone would buy that

the problem is that mario maker, you can do in a couple hours. if you're gonna do FF Maker, that could take months... years. way too long for a console-maker community to sustain itself.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 30, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was there a red head Final Fantasy hero?

:sad:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LadyPictureShow posted:

(though for some reason I can’t comprehend I’ve been calling them ‘blitz reels’ for years)

I think that's their actual name in tutorials, Blitz Reels. All his limits are named <something> Reels, like Attack Reels or Status(?) Reels

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

esperterra posted:

FFX-2 is one of the best FF games. Bottom line, cut and dry bitchhhh

I feel like I would like X-2 a lot more if there was more skill inheritance/crossover that didn't involve monopolizing your relic slot or switching dresspheres five times in one random encounter. Give me FF5 Freelancer power, like if I master the ultimate form I get passive Auto-Ribbon for every class or some insane reward like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this but the spells you teach are, like. cure 1, rasp, antidote.

scan

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LinYutang posted:

I just watched a video of ffx and holy christ voice acting was so bad then

It has come to light in the past couple years that it really wasn't the voice actors' fault. As it turns out, FFX was hard-coded so strictly that they basically had to sync the duration and pacing of their voice clips to the approximate length of the original Japanese audio files, or the game would crash :psyduck:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skeletome posted:

i recommend ff14 because it has a surprisingly great story for an mmo and a better story than most of the mainline games

i don't because the localization is way too overdone. like 90% of the script isn't even unnecessary, it's just weird chrono cross accents. i hate it.

give me Final Fantasy XIV 1993 Edition where the script is dry as hell and you have to fit the entire text into like 40kb.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

FFX is similar to FFIV in that characters begin as individuals with different abilities, but end up all mostly the same by the end.

you mean 6, right? for all its archaic features, ff4 did a really good job at distinguishing characters and their abilities at the end of the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Blitzball was the worst minigame in all of the Final Fantasies.

yeah i know we all blocked out our memories of tetra master

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I like Chrono Trigger but it's no I Am Setsuna.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mind the walrus posted:

So what's the take on Vagrant Story?

Vagrant Story is an ok game with a good story and a stat micromanagement system that both infuriates and fascinates me

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

the story is Vaguean' Boring tho

VS is Matsuno's character piece. It's not his strong suit, but I like these kinds of stories more than I like his ones about grandiose plots of things that happen everywhere the player isn't. It's my favorite work of his.

I also like March of the Black Queen for the opposite reason: it's a huge, sweeping story of a revolution. But it dispenses with drama of the individual and focuses entirely on the overarching efforts of your army. You might get attached to certain regiments and leaders--my bro was all about how baller Lans and Warren are--but their stories are left to the imagination.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pug Rodeo posted:

Even dreams can be hosed up by their dream alcoholic fathers.

yeah jecht sure is a dream all right :allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

With out lightning Marty McFly would have been stuck in 1955. Lightning is an idiot for not remembering that lightning protected the goddamned future. What an idiot.

earth didn't exist until after ff13 ended. but lightning felt really dumb as she was watching back to the future on the lovely TV while feeding room service to motomu toriyama in her parisian hotel room

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
nobody would want to play it because it would have the action combat of FF15/FF7r, but then you would have to go into the menu and select Open every time you wanted to go through a door

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Am I the only person who was playing Ultima and Fallout when FF7 was all the rage and was like "poor console people, that's the best they have?"

Like, is Final Fantasy the Halo of video games, where it's loved only because it was the closest thing to a proper game in it's genre on lovely consoles?

It really just boils down to taste. I cannot stand Ultima or Fallout, they look to me what FF7 must look like to you :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkjrUMrvJdw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KiteAuraan posted:

Do you ever end up killing god? Because if not, gently caress that I'll just keep playing SMT and Xeno games and get my deicide on.

I never even finished XIII because I got to Spear Lesbian's timed fight and said gently caress THIS poo poo AGAIN gently caress IT!

The whole plot of Lightning Returns is you killed god in FF13 so everything is hosed and the world is ending