Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

communism bitch posted:

Lol if you don't think a certain percentage of those men, now in their 30s and 40s, will cry all over again.

I had to change my avatar because I wept every time I saw my own posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

OWLS! posted:

Final fantasy is unrepentant garbage

Can confirm

Lime Tonics posted:

Will get a lot of flak for this, but final fantasy 4/2 north american version. is the one that should have been remade in 4k/3d/bellsandwhistles. Its basically star wars. but medieval.

They did that except on the DS so the graphics are kinda ugly and battles run at 15fps, even after they ported it to mobile and Steam.

Anyway the FF7 remake’s no big deal to me because I seriously doubt we’ll see it anytime soon if ever. SE is still struggling to get their poo poo together in making big budget games in less than five years. Hell, nobody knew who was even directing the thing until they asked around and settled on Nomura or whoever, and that was after they loving announced it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

actually it’s pronounced arse

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Please don’t post spoilers in this thread. I want to play the remake unspoiled when it releases in 2025 and it’ll make the experience worse if you spoil stuff like Aeris dies, Cait Sith is a robot, or Cloud fucks a dolphin, so please don’t spoil any of that for me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

That guy who said they're waitin' for a legend of mana remake is extremely my dude. more games need to involve trying to hook up pua centaurs with sirens and mermaids.

:yeah:

Legend of Mana is loving bonkers and I love it for it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nobody loves Vaan though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I wonder if they’ll keep the scene where Cloud beats the poo poo out of Aeris.

ArbitraryC posted:

surprised ff3 doesn't get more love. I've tried to go back and play various popular ones and usually end up getting bored after a reasonable amount of playtime, but I actually finished 3 and thought it was a great game all the way through. Really enjoyed p much everything about it. Bunch of small touches that made the various classes feel unique and poorly explained mechanics that felt rewarding to figure out.

If you mean the one with the job system, try 5. It’s literally 3 but better since you can mix and match job abilities with each other.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Don't forget about the :black101: music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XCbqHXZaKw

10/10 would help a bunch of penguins and their walrus captain fight a genie they had accidentally fished again

Or learn to speak dogs to sell them lamps to help a centaur gently caress a siren.

Legend of Mana is loving great because it’s a jRPG at its most absurd.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

What was the first JRPG that did the "god is actually the enemy" thing? It's so ubiquitous now that I pretty much expect it.

Does it count if the main villain beats God?

Because the FF2 (NES ones) villain gets murdered then conquers Hell and makes Satan his bitch, then the remakes retcon him into also conquering heaven somehow and you have to kill him a third time as a bunch of dead people.

FF2 is stupid simultaneously in the worst and best ways.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Episode 1 won't even come out until 2022 in the earliest, Square hasn't been efficient in making a mainline game since FFX or so.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Why can't square just make a regular old FF again? It's not that hard to gently caress up. Get a cast of likable characters, throw in a turn based combat system, have a world full of pretty/neat environments to explore, get some good music., have a weird villain. It's got to be way cheaper than making a game filled with hours of fully voiced cutscenes because that poo poo is expensive.

I think they're calling those games "Bravely Default" now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pneub posted:

I guess that still doesn't explain why they went with such a lovely name.

jRPG

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It will take five years for SE to release a remake of a third of a game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bloom posted:

Trance is triggered by a powerful surge of emotion

i.e. gettin' a boner

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Big Word posted:

I'm TheJrpgMotherFucker and ten years ago I decided to refuse to play a kingdom hearts ever and thats what I decide still now

:yeah:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

esperterra posted:

Waitin' for a dick to fly in

Guy clearly wants to penetrate Aerish.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Julien Sorel posted:

I remember playing this in the late 90s and when Aeris was killed, my reaction was: "Aw man, that was my healer. Welp, she's dead."

Years later, once commercial internet became widespread, I find out that this was somehow a banner moment in videogame history. I still don't understand it. She had virtually no character development up to that point and I'll never get how people became so attached to someone who shows up selling flowers, can heal pretty good, and that's it. She doesn't even do anything significant up to that point and hardly has any dialogue. What the gently caress.

People were sad because she’s one of the few rare FF characters who fucks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF5 on PS1 has Faris speaking like a pirate (she literally says “Shiver me timbers!” at one point) and horribly translated enemy names like Y Burns, Karl Boss, and my personal favorite, Dinglberries. Then again it also has load times and the translation is pretty underwhelming otherwise.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Obsidianheart posted:

I always felt like Locke was holding her back. Like, here is this lady who ascended the ranks to command armies (albeit with a huge unfair advantage due to magic), and she's turned into a trembling, insecure opera understudy by a thief treasure hunter because he's tragic and dreamy and he saved her.

Locke should have wound up with Gogo.

Also Celes is 18 and pretty much raised as a soldier so of course she’s kinda hosed in the head, while Locke is like 25 but is developmentally frozen due to the trauma of his dead girlfriend.

FF6’s cast is almost as hosed up as 7’s. A few are fine, but then you get the magic soldiers trained since birth, the loyal soldier whose nation and family is poisoned, the ninja who abandoned his daughter, and the kid loving raised by monsters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

you should be ashamed, only deviants and miscreants play SaGa games

That explains why I liked the Romancing SaGa 2 remake so much

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Don't the original GBA Golden Sun games have more words than the bible.

quote:

In case 70,000 words somehow seems low, I'll refer again to my thread title. The original Metal Gear Solid game script is about 36,000 words. Metal Gear Solid 2, as in the game that has a 45-minute conversation about meme theory between the penultimate and final bosses, is about 47,000 (both of these are for all the mandatory cutscenes, not including optional CODEC calls. Likewise, the GS count doesn't include NPC flavor text).

Golden Sun has 1.49 times as much text as Metal Gear Solid 2, and it is all broken up across three-line dialogue boxes. Golden Sun is also half a game. I have cut out well over half of the dialogue in this game and I don't believe I've lost anything of value.

It's every bit as bad as you think, if not worse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Now that’s a tough mom

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

i tried this but instead i only got gis results for a mom who... apparently microwaved her baby?????

e: and that there were two completely separate moms who did this :psyduck:

This is what Final Fantasy does to your brain.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elentor posted:

Since we're threading on fashion, on a scale of 1 to Nomura judge my character designs.

Also this thread moves too fast for my stupid idiot brain but these loving own.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Name a cooler type of weapon in the series though

Bells, harps, books, megaphones, voodoo dolls...

Choco1980 posted:

I find it funny that everyone agrees on this, but nobody is willing to admit that Mega Man X Command Mission completely reuses it for their system.

Also that XBox LotR game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm the dumbfuck teenager junctioning Haste to my boner

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I miss the experimental bizarre games from Square during the SNES/PS1 era, especially the various one-offs, half of which never left Japan.

Bahamut Lagoon was a cool “What if you combined Fire Emblem with Final Fantasy and then gave everyone a pet dragon” thing, Live A Live managed to experiment with a lot of different gameplay styles while being goofy as gently caress, and though I never got far in it, Treasure of the Rudras had that crazy system where you’d input words and they’d become spells. And once you get to the PS1 era, suddenly Square’s pumping out fighting, racing, and shooting games.

Now all of the insanity of Square’s side games moved to the developmental process for the main games. It’s a shame, really.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Well see Vincent doesn't suck--I mean, he kind of does, but he's very clearly Tetsuya Nomura's self-insert character. He's mysterious(dark), and intellectual(brooding), and he has a sad backstory. He's the ultimate portrait of a self-proclaimed tortured soul artiste! :)

Then there's Dirge of Cerberus where we find out Vincent's so mopey because his doormat girlfriend chose to bang Hojo over him, and then there's a romantic connection implied between Vincent and a "looks-12-but-actually-19" girl.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

holy poo poo finally some up to date news regarding the ff7 remake:

FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

That's the best news I've heard yet.

I'm not joking either. :smith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final Fantasy VII has been inducted into the Video Game Hall of Fame.

Try to contain your excitement.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I’m gonna assume Edgar’s birthday is 6/9.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

The remake needs to redo the part where Cait Sith swipes the Keystone and his trump card is that he’s holding Marlene hostage. Add this zesty bit of dialogue:

‘I stay with your group, or Barret’s little girl dies. That’s my offer. Take it, or...Reeve it.’

‘...I don’t get it.’

C’mon, guy like Reeve is probably desperate for an opportunity to be able to drop that pun on Avalanche.

I want to be Reeve

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Who What Now posted:

FF6 sucks, and that "opera" scene with squaking pre-midi sound chips is the worst of all.

Actually,

Who What Now posted:

Sorry about your bad taste in video games. When it comes to the snes series it's 5 > 4 > 6 > Mystic Quest

Wait, nevermind, your tastes are actually cool and good.

(Yet I’d still pick MQ over half the games in the series, Mystic Quest owns).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I’d take all four SNES games over the rest of the series besides 9, so being lowest on the SNES totem isn’t really a bad thing!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Maybe it's because I didn't see it as a starry-eyed pre-teen but I just don't get it

I don’t think you get the emotional significance of a talking octopus trying to push a five-ton weight on an opera star imposter for the sake of revenge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Lemme just throw out that 8 is the best PSX FF as well. :dealwithit:

You’ve gone too far

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I played X on an emulator and save scummed to victory on Chocobo racing and lightning bolts, but then I got to butterflies and I quit and never beat the game.

Maybe one day.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's FF randomizers, so there's sort of roguelikes, except without the permadeath.

This one is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Who What Now posted:

When I heard that they were rewriting the game that was the final nail in the coffin. It's just gonna be Cloud being a huge whiny bitch like Advent Children because Nomura is up his own rear end and thinks everything he does is gold.

I hope it's a musical now.