Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The most cherished scene I think is in danger of getting left out is the where the fat Shinra guy Palmer gets hit by an 18 wheeler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

This is really all you have to see to know if the remake is gonna be any good.

It's not. Cloud is a starving heroin addict now, I guess? Make some money off people who never actually played FF7 and only seem to know that fake made up " Cloud so emo and sad lol" poo poo.

every time this comes up in an interview the director/writer is like "no cloud was a huge dick in ff7, not a mopey loser, what are you talking about"

hope you're ready to do some mother loving squats at the gym and then go celebrate your victory by getting gangbanged

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Rutibex posted:

i think square starts by designing like 10-12 cool "set piece" moments for every final fantasy game, then just tries to cobble them together narratively in any convoluted way they possibly can.

This is literally by their own admission what happened with FF13, which is why you have weird poo poo happening like a character dying very close to the end of the game only to be brought back to life an hour later at the ending so that he can be killed again

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FF8 has Doomtrain, I can't criticize it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

squall is the worst final fantasy protagonist. i haven't played xiii but lightning can't possibly be worse than squall

Alas,

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jimmy Hats posted:

are they seriously releasing it in parts

Yeah it's going to be episodic. They say they're adding a ton of content that wasn't in FF7 though, like Midgar will be a full city you can gently caress around in. No, no one is happy about this

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Episode 1 won't even come out until 2022 in the earliest, Square hasn't been efficient in making a mainline game since FFX or so.

Nomura didn't find out he was directing the FF7 Remake until he saw the E3 trailer that said "DIRECTOR: TETSUYA NOMURA" in it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Who What Now posted:

What do you mean, the snowboard minigame wasn't in Midgar.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mega64 posted:

I think they're calling those games "Bravely Default" now.

Bravely Default / BD2 are really good games, if you liked FF5 you will like them. It's too bad they're only on 3DS, but Nintendo moving all their poo poo to the Switch and SE starting to move all their poo poo to Windows means they'll probably be available on an actually good platform sooner or later. I think BD is already being ported to Switch or something

Jimmy Hats posted:

The problem there is that bravely defaults entire gameplay design is "streamlined grinding!!" and it sucks poo poo

Disagree, it just lets you turn up or down the encounter rate according to what you feel like doing. The chain battle mechanic in BD2 is cool as well. The game doesn't demand you grind for hours to beat a boss or anything, you can just mix and match jobs to do poo poo.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 23, 2018

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zorodius posted:

What the hell does "Bravely Default" mean? Is that like when you wait for your student loans to pay themselves?

short answer: its anime bullshit

long answer: the main mechanic of the game is that you can take extra actions on your turn ("Brave"), but doing so spends BP, which you build up a surplus up by skipping your turn and defending ("Default"). You can Brave without having surplus BP but you go into BP debt and forfeit your next few turns until you get back to 0

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

that fated circle is about to get a taste of my blasting zone

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Big Word posted:

I'm TheJrpgMotherFucker and ten years ago I decided to refuse to play a kingdom hearts ever and thats what I decide still now

kingdom hearts 2 is a really good starfox game though

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

esperterra posted:

That's a shame. Maybe I'll grab it on sale one of these days and peep it myself.

I wish WoFF didn't have such dumb looking protagonists. That + it being a crossover story thing just sapped almost all the interest I had in it before it came out. Having the FF characters show up inexplicably for fanservice and stuff is fine, but afaik there's a big focus on the why and how?? of that stuff and I loving hate that crap. It's probably handled better than Dissidia's ridiculous fanfic story, but w/ Dissidia I could ignore it a lot easier than in an actual JRPG.

Might grab that on sale at some point tho and see if it's better than my brain is telling me it is.

I played a lot of WoFF, it's cute and funny and I'm basically the exact target audience for the game ("HOLY gently caress THE FIGHTER FROM EINHANDER IS IN THIS GAME???") but the gameplay and level design are really simplistic and repetitive. I don't think it ever really goes anywhere with its systems.

KH Chat: lol remember that part in KH2 where they loving killed goofy (it was a fakeout)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

esperterra posted:

WoFF is on everything afaik.

It's :10bux::10bux: on steam rn with the SE sale, NieR is also half off

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Another precious thing from FF7 that probably won't be in the remake: Sephiroth constantly walking around with a :aaa: face for no discernable reason. Why does he never close his mouth

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

communism bitch posted:

Font Mission 3 had an in-game PC and you could change your desktop wallpaper, browse the far future internet, and send "electronic-mail". it was dope af tbh

when i first beat FM3 as a child I had no idea how switching parts or anything like that worked so I beat the entire game with the starter mechs + the hilariously overpowered one you get from using the DEMON DIALER internet phone at the end of the game

e: i was always super pumped for the levels where you had to fight the US military. Even when I was like 9 I belonged on an FBI watchlist

Also thinking about how the game basically had two story campaigns, if it came out today it'd be two full priced games lol

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 4, 2018

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm playing FF15 now and between the game having the Kingdom Hearts composer who made some edgy-rear end tunes + cruising around dressed like a Mariachi I'm having a great time even if the battle system is shallow as gently caress.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

its been a WHILE but i think the fight went normal witch, witch riding griever, and then some final fantasy bullshit version of witch. squalls lion heart limit break took the two former down in a hit or 2, and i think the final form took 3 or 4 rounds of it

the strat was to dismantle the gilgamesh triple triad card which gave you 10 versions of some party-wide invincibility potion. the final witch version had one of those very ff attacks that brought down the party’s hp to 1. of course, the lower squalls hp, the more likely he was to roll lion heart as a limit break. down the potion and the last boss makes it three turns, tops

last boss was ultimecia > griever > ultemecia-griever > THE EXTREME

Blue Raider posted:

final fantasy 8 was fuckin cool

:hellyeah:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Julien Sorel posted:

Years later, once commercial internet became widespread, I find out that this was somehow a banner moment in videogame history. I still don't understand it. She had virtually no character development up to that point and I'll never get how people became so attached to someone who shows up selling flowers, can heal pretty good, and that's it. She doesn't even do anything significant up to that point and hardly has any dialogue. What the gently caress.

Aeris does plenty of stuff + is central to the game's plot :confused:

Obsidianheart posted:

You misspelled "Einhander".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ycpSoz7nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6n0hPq_vaQ

and of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5fNBNTXYlQ

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jimmy Hats posted:

ff6 sucks!!!!

:hfive: Except the music, the game just isn't very interesting. Same with basically every SNES and earlier FF except 5, which owns.

Zane posted:

which was ground zero for their journey towards bloated and tropey overproduced nonsense but can still somehow be worsened i'm sure.

FF6 and especially FF4 are full of dumb lazy archetypes and stuff though. Things were always this way.

esperterra posted:

My barometer for if I'll be okay or not okay with how dumb VIIR might be is basically, if it's as bad or not as bad as the Compilation they did an okay job. If it somehow gets dumber than some of that poo poo did then lol

I genuinely think the worst they'll do in terms of writing quality is Crisis Core. Mock me for my lack of cynicism but I seriously doubt they have another Dirge of Cerberus in them.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I like Legend of Legaia and Breath of Fire 3, 4, and 5

jRPGs are good!! Video games... are good!!!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

Which is gonna come out or get cancelled first: ff7 remake or barkley gaiden 2.

FF7R *IS* TMROTNN:EFN7-ROC:TOGOTM-C2OTHBS, you loving pleb

Meme Emulator posted:

3 is long and generic and good for that if youre looking for a long, generic RPG.

I was just thinking about this as I stepped out to go for a run, I can't really place my finger on why I like Breath of Fire 3 so much. It is really generic and doesn't do anything special - the setting and characters are all bog standard fantasy stuff. I think it just has a lot of personality and when you're playing through the game as a kid there's a lot of foreboding horror and darkness in the story beats that wasn't present in a lot of other games at a the time. Stuff like a party member revealing he participated in a genocidal war of extermination against your race, and has been following you specifically to finish the job, the artificial life form begging you to kill it, and the automated black ship of death that cruises around by itself vomiting killer robots everywhere that you have to hijack.

And the loving desert. :getin:

I agree with you on BoF4 just straight being a good game though. The game has a really unique eastern setting and themes, and Fou-Lu and Yuna are really strong and memorable antagonists.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 28, 2018

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

The cannon is symbolic of Shinra's large erect penis. It doesn't serve a practical purpose.

I'm pretty sure the Sister Ray But IRL would be the first thing Trump would build if he had total control of how the defense budget was spent

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 29, 2018

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

precision posted:

between the "Sister Ray" and the "Loveless" poster i'm wondering if there are any other awesome references to bands i've never noticed

While looking up whether or not Vincent was named after Vincent Price and the song "My Funny Valentine" I found out there is a man who plays in the NFL named Vincent Valentine and im lollin'

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

LinYutang posted:

Cloud and Tifa do NOT do sex

:wrong:

precision posted:

i romanced yuffie :shrug:

I'm reporting you to the FBI

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

If I wanna play FFV, which translation should I play? The PS1 version patched into an SNES ROM?

deffo the GBA version

The Big Word posted:

I can't speak for the PS1 port at all other than that it has the same reputation for slowdown and annoying loading times as PS1 chrono trigger, but both of the other versions have high quality translations. GBA is more polished, SNES fan translation is more goofy. It comes down to whether you want that extra vertical resolution or the bonus jobs/dungeons (which are actually fuckin tight and worth it imo)

They're both goofy, but SNES Fan Translation is goofy in a different way than GBA's. It's a lot drier overall but some of their translation choices are hilarious, like when the last crystal explodes and the world is doomed and all Bartz* can say is "Oh poo poo!"

*Butz

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Meme Emulator posted:

Wait, the whole game? I know shes pretending to be a pirate at the very start

In the SNES/PS1 version she keeps the heavy pirate dialect throughout the game even after she leaves the bois, and indeed, the planet, behind

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

esperterra posted:

I bet it's mostly articles of people convinced she's actually trans.

Butz and Galuf are both mad horney 4 her even while they still think she's a dude, lol

e: gently caress didnt mean to double post. I JUST LOVE FINAL FANTASY SO MUCH

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

I really do like the broad-stroke overview of FFX as "start a holy pilgrimage to stop the devil; decide to kill God instead"

He's not capital-G God, he's just another rear end in a top hat wizard making GBS threads up the place with his stupid magic again

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

quote:

tidus laugh scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXTZsiwk-ik

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Taima posted:

The fact is, FFX was real good. Even the laugh scene, while executed poorly, actually does a borderline amazing job of conveying the emotion that sometimes when poo poo is terrible you just have to laugh no matter how awkward and unjustified it is, and how stupid you feel when doing it.

Sure, the voice acting sucked. It was released 17 loving years ago. The fact that it holds up as well it does is a testament to its quality, in spite of the technological challenges of the time. The game would be completely different if they went the easy route and just used text boxes. It is better for the effort, even if the specific execution leaves a lot to be desired in 2018.

And as someone else said, the island vibe is incredible.

Oh I agree entirely, I think FFX is a great game. It's not one of my favorites but the art direction is beautiful and the gameplay is fun. I think the actors do a decent job, too. It's just, like all Final Fantasy games, really easy to make fun of. :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, 12 has kind of the same issue once you branched out the license grid too Everyone can use katanas now, whatever). I want to say it was always Tidus, Yuna and Rikku/Wakka for their overdrives and crazy stats their ultimate weapons gave them to take on the ultra-beefy bosses.

If you maxed everyone’s levels and sphere grids/license boards in 10 and 12, did they all have identical base stats if you didn’t count armor/weapon/accessories?

In FF12 a few characters were strictly better than the others because they had faster attack animations with the best endgame weapons and thus had higher dps. The high STR/SPD characters were generally better than the high MAG ones because magic sucked, so you just used Vaan, Basch, and I think Ashe, and then Penelo and Balthier were worse, and Fran was the worst of all? In IZJS/TZA they fixed this and I think every character's attack speed is the same with all weapons, and also every character maxes out their stats eventually, but your characters still have some degree of individuality due to the class system. Magic is also a lot stronger in IZJS/TZA.

In FFX all your dudes were identical except for Overdrives, I think, but I never did any sort of grinding/postgame content in that game.

I got to Lestallum like two weeks ago in FFXV and I'm level 50 and I'm still in Chapter 3. Please send help

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

bradzilla posted:

Why are you nerds spoilering a 17 year old game

Tidus is a dream come to life, Auron is dead. Also Aeris dies.

Zidane is literally Goku, Zell chokes to death on a hot dog

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Kinda. Auron is unsent - he didn't come back from the dead, when he died he basically said "No, gently caress that" and stuck around. He still has a physical body, it's just made or sustained by pyreflies or something. I don't remember the relationship between the unsent and pyreflies exactly.

Tidus was created by the Fayth, which are the formerly living people who turned into Aeons (they're the ones you meet in the trials) who maintained a dream of the ancient city of Zanarkand for uh, reasons. I don't remember exactly. FFX isn't one of my favorites.

Yu Yevon, around whom the Yevon religion is based, was the king of the city-state of Zanarkand, which was a nation of wizards. They went to war with Bevelle, which was a city of machinists. Turns out guns > magic, and Bevelle was showing no signs of allowing Zanarkand to surrender, so Yu Yevon ordered every man, woman, and child of Zanarkand to convert themselves to fayth so that he could create the ultimate summon and smash Bevelle. This is what you see at the top of the mountain where you meet the Ronso - the huge wall of human bodies encased in stone. Two things happen as a result of this, one is that the Yu Yevon summons Sin from the massive Fayth which proceeds to obliterate Bevelle so loving hard they give up and start worshipping it, the other is that the Fayth create an astral projection of Zanarkand where they can hang out instead of being encased in stone all day like the Fayth Yuna uses to summon Ifrit/Bahamut/etc.

Both Zanarkands are actually a physical place in FFX's world. There isn't a timeskip where Tidus washes up in Besaid after getting sucked into Sin. The actual Zanarkand is the goal of Yuna's pilgrimage, the Dream Zanarkand from the start of the game is way off in the sea in the middle of nowhere, which is why Sin never touched it until Jecht, who was from Dream Zanarkand, became Sin and sought it out.

~loremaster~

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jimmy Hats posted:

yeah we get that we're discussing how he even got to besaid in the first place to be braska's guardian

Tidus's recollection is one day he just got drunk, hopped on a boat, and hosed off forever

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

esperterra posted:

If you're not talking to every person 10 times and going back to every location 10 times to see if something changed or dialogue is different then are you really playing a JRPG ???

I actually found the tapes where Aeris's parents talk about Jenova and WEAPON then get murdered by Hojo by myself as a kid because I would just walk around rubbing Cloud's face against walls and mashing circle whenever I was in a house, but lmao no way did anyone find the scene that explains what happened to Cloud and Zack after the Nibelheim Incident without a guide

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

quote:

Legend of Legaia

tornaaAAADO FLAAAAAAAYME

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

GBA has Fire Emblem 7 which owns hard, FE8 is also real good.

Avirosb posted:

Dunno but Superstar Saga was pretty neat.

Mario RPGs are always good. I even liked Super Paper Mario on the Wii even though everyone else seems to hate it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Rutibex posted:

no, Xenogears is about awesome robot fights! :colbert:

im the robot shaped like a gun that fires the pilot out of its robo gun barrel to their demise

glad she is dead posted:

Now that's purestrain JRPG.

Does that loving furry football then join the party? I feel like I already know the answer to this.

oh yes he does. xenoblade is full of all sorts of over the top goofy poo poo, it's great.

BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FF9 loving rules and if you don't like Vivi and Steiner you're on my poo poo list

My krew consists of Gilgamesh, Yuffie, Vivi, and Agrias