Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was there ever another named Chcobo?

There's this one.

In FFXIV I named my chocobo Monster because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Back in 97 my mom watched me play a ton of FF7 content, and most of the cutscenes. She also watched the entirety of MGS1.

She was pretty open minded.

My sister watched me play FF7 and had gotten really attached to Aeris and I didn't have the heart to tell her I knew she was going to die, I just didn't know when or how. I felt really bad when it happened because it upset me pretty bad even though I wasn't totally blindsided by it and after the funeral part she couldn't stop crying and I don't blame her. I gave her a hug and told her there might be a way to bring her back. She didn't watch the rest of the game until I got to the end and she was glad to see Sephiroth get wrecked but once the credits started rolling I just hear a quiet "She didn't come back..." and in the last 20 years the only time she's ever spoken of the game was talk about the music and nothing else.

tldr: I think FF7 traumatized my sister :(

Also I had a girlfriend who watched me play MGS3 and at the end she didn't say anything and just left the room. Thank god for that because I couldn't hold it in much longer either and the rest of our relationship would have been like that episode here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH66eEAnTt0&t=48s

Doctor Discomfort fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 20, 2018

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

FungiCap posted:

I was like 11 years old or something when I played FF7. All the bosses were hard to me because I kept running away from all the random battles to see more of the story and was severely underleveled (and probably also bad at games at 11). This came to a head where the Jenova fight after Aeries dies was very hard and I had to watch the cutscene of Aeries dying like 30 times before I won.

I wonder if this is why the way I am sometimes.

There's an accessory you find right before that fight that makes her attacks heal you instead of doing damage so even people bad at the game like me couldn't lose like I definitely would have if it wasn't for my habit of immediately equipping any new thing I come across.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Obsidianheart posted:

I'll never understand if it's just me, or if they actually on purpose modeled cut-scene Quistis to look like someone who needs glasses, but isn't wearing them and is having a little trouble seeing.

That would be a really weird minor detail no normal person would notice or care about so I am going to go with yes it's on purpose. I think there's some guy at Square who is obsessed with little things like this because there's always these strange things that are so consistent throughout entire games full of obvious plot holes and continuity issues.

Like, they rarely if ever mention Sephiroth killing Cloud's mother in FF7 but someone made drat sure Yuffie gets sick on the Highwind because if you recruit her as early as possible she gets seasick on the boat from Junon to Costa del Sol. Or in FF8 Selphie and her consistent love of trains and planes vs. that Norg guy who seems important but is never mentioned before he shows up out of nowhere and is never ever mentioned again after you kill him.

The best example of this is actually the Turks. They went through the trouble of programming Rude's AI in battle to be consistent with the fact he has a crush on Tifa which is mentioned like one time ever. He will never attack her if there's someone else on your team he can target instead and if Tifa is the only target left he will occasionally do nothing on his turn instead of hit her. They bothered to do this but do they ever mention what the hell happened to Tseng after the temple of the ancients? It seems like he's going to die but when you go back his body is gone. He never shows up again and no mention is made of him getting rescued or dying or surviving which is definitely something that could have been easily clarified by Cait Sith, the Shinra insider who would know such a thing and is literally forced into your party right before you leave the temple and might be wondering where Tseng went. GOD drat.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

LadyPictureShow posted:

Huh, I was looking for this thread the other day. I read something that we can’t expect FF7 remake to come out until like, 2021.

But they’re apparently releasing some new news at E3 on Monday. I’m hoping they at least put out a new character design or something, if only to keep nerds busy slap-fighting for months because they gave Tifa shorts or something.

The news is that Cloud, Sephiroth, and Tifa are in Soul Calibur 6.

Allegedly.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holy poo poo, an Ehrgeiz remake?

It's almost definitely not true. I fall for it every time a new Soul Calibur comes out and this rumor goes around. The only difference is this time is they threw Tifa in along with Sephiroth and Cloud just to confuse my Bullshitometer.

I hope it's just a trailer for Voldo since he's my fave anyway.

Doctor Discomfort fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 7, 2018

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

I don't know why people argue about Aeris vs. Aerith when her name is actually Earisu.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

If I were making the next games I would definitely have Aeris not die at the City of the Ancients like in the original. People would be convinced she was going to live this time. Then a bit later WHAM dead out of nowhere just like last time.

Either that or I'd have her get killed a lot earlier than anyone was expecting. Maybe in the middle of the Gold Saucer date.

I am a monster.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

cock hero flux posted:

sudden aneurysm in kalm

Run over by a Masamune Freight Co. semi-truck as soon as she sets foot outside of Midgar

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Dr. Eldarion posted:

This just made me think about bringing parallel timelines into FF7 Remake in a Steins;Gate manner where (Steins;Gate spoilers) no matter what you do or where you are, Aeris just keeps dying at roughly the same time, to all sorts of different means. You keep traveling to different timelines before her death, trying to change her fate, hiding her away somewhere, trying to shield her, etc. but every time she dies somehow. Finally you go back far enough to make enough of a difference where Aeris doesn't die, but then Tifa dies instead. Much despair ensues.

Yeah I like that idea. Kind of similar to that stupid Butterfly Effect movie with Ashton Kutcher where every time he stops a bad thing from happening even worse things happen instead. I think anyway. I haven't actually seen that movie. But it sounded pretty funny for something that isn't supposed to be funny.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

esperterra posted:

the final episode of VIIR is released with an alternate ending where cloud goes back in time and kills himself in the womb

or kills sephiroth in the womb i can't decide

Sephiroth goes back in time and becomes his own Grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

I just saw this the other day in some FF7 mod called New Threat