Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Not hyped. I love FFVII because it's one of the first RPGs I remember playing and all of the charm comes from the blocky characters, pre rendered backgrounds, etc. I like it because it's a product of its time and remaking it to cash in on nostalgia is lame. So much of that game seemed cool when it was being processed through the imagination of an 11 year old. Going through it today fully voiced dialog and a bunch of cutscenes will probably make it cringe inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
The FF IOS releases look terrible though. The sprites look like they're from a flash game but the backgrounds are still pixel art. It's weird.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I just like prerendered backgrounds :(

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I never beat VIII, IX, or X. I'm tempted to pick up IX again.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Also, wow, I forgot about how much the PS1s 3d models jittered.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

Rutibex posted:

who knows what the heck square was thinking with the FMVs in that game. like 10% of them use the lovely PS1 super deformed models. why would they do that? :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dnvjNGilg

From what I remember 3D FMVs were a recent development and foreign to square. In order to make FF7 they bought a bunch of cutting edge workstations they weren't familiar with and their 3D team basically learned along the way. Some of the stuff was made by a small team in America as well.

It's kind of amazing the game ended up being so good/influential because it had a pretty short production cycle on top of using a bunch of tools they weren't familiar with.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
He's always been pretty short/skinny, but the new cloud looks a little off.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
When I was a kid I just cheesed the last fight with Knights of the Round and Mimic.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

bradzilla posted:

According to the :spergin:FF wiki:spergin:

For every character at Level 99, 30,000 HP, 2 Attack, 20 Defense, 5 Magic Attack, and 16 Magic Defense are added to Safer∙Sephiroth's stats.
If Knights of the Round was cast on Jenova∙SYNTHESIS, Safer∙Sephiroth receives an extra 80,000 maximum HP.
For every time Bizarro∙Sephiroth's head was killed during the previous fight, Safer∙Sephiroth's maximum HP is reduced by 100, up to a maximum reduction of 24,900 HP.
Considering all these, Safer∙Sephiroth's maximum stats (bracketed in the table) are:

400,000 maximum HP, 246 Attack, 260 Defense, 140 Magic Power, and 308 Magic Defense.
Safer∙Sephiroth's attacks follow an eight turn cycle, allowing the player to predict his next attack and prepare accordingly.

Hah, wow. I was just a dumb kid so I assumed using the super move was the key to victory.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I've already beaten VII, but not VIII or IX. Which one is most worth my time, fellow goons?

I like hearing people's opinions/criticisms.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I still have the gold saucer theme stuck in my head.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
FFVII is their best selling Final Fantasy game, followed by X and VIII. Not sure why they insist on making GBS threads out stuff like XIII and XV when they haven't done so well. At least they kind of learned their lesson from XIII, I dropped that one almost immediately because it was nothing but cutscenes and running down corridors. At least XV had breaks where you can explore and kill monsters.

FFIX didn't do so well, but it came out at right after the PS2 released.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
One memory I have is watching tv as a kid, and a true crime special was on about a girl being murdered. They put suspicion on the son and said he enjoyed violent video games, cut to him playing FF7.