Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Why can't it just be turn based, if it ain't broke then don't fix it, I hate Action RPGs :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Can we stop loving talking about MGS, jesus.

FWIW Tifa not beating the poo poo out of Scarlett on the canon in my eyes is justifiable, she's been holding her breath for god knows how long trying not to get gassed, then she has to climb out of the chamber, down the side of the building (AND she falls quite a big distance regardless) then she has to run along a long-rear end canon, so she's probably exhausted by the time Scarlett shows up and slaps her.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

This would actually be really good so I agree.

It doesn't matter as they'll never get to release any of Disc 2's content, hurr

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Tifa was my favorite growing up and is part of why I was totally meh about Aerith dying when I first played FFVII in 2002. I was like "...so Tifa is the main female lead now? Woohoo!"

But I dunno, I don't hate Tifa now or anything, but I like Aerith more.

She's still a great character like pretty much everyone in the party not named Cait Sith.

Or Vincent.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

vyst posted:

Vincent strikes a chord with gamers because he is brooding, emo, and mysterious.

His character is cool but he's a pain in the arse to have in your party.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

"You got whacked, 'cuz you're weak"

Janus/Magus ruled.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Remake is never coming out, Square have no money.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/05/square_enix_financial_forecasts_suggest_final_fantasy_vii_remake_wont_launch_before_march_2020

On a serious note though, I wouldn't expect this game to be released on PS4, PS5 is more likely.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 24, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rascar posted:

I bought FF8 (for PC) with the birthday money I got for my eleventh birthday. I didn't even know it existed before I went into the store that day and I saw it on the shelf. Hyped as gently caress because I loved FF3. (Which I didn't know was actually FF6)

I didn't make it past disc 3 either. But that was only because the final boss of disc 3 was loving me up. I didn't understand the junctioning system at all. I did love the game though and have beaten it many times in later years.

My very first playthrough I got stuck on the coloured raptor type enemies on the Ragnarok. It wasn't until I played it again as an adult that I got past it and was able to complete the game.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I played the demo disk for FF8, predicted that the game was going to suck because the demo's battle system was a hot mess, but bought it anyway because I'm a moron (many years later I learned to like FF8, but it was an acquired taste). One of the things I did like about the demo was the intro theme - which was loving changed in the release because it was apparently too similar to the theme in the movie "The Rock".

I've linked both themes at the points where it's alleged they're too similar. I personally disagree and think they would've gotten away with it, but you be the judge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEoruBRVKo&t=74s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtPxqTdkig&t=267s

It's not a blatant ripoff like Tappi Iwase's MGS Main Theme, but it's pretty drat similar you have to admit. Uematsu has said before in interviews that he's influenced by movie composers like Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson Williams so Square probably didn't want any headaches.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

We already know the final fantasy remake will be a failure under square enix.

I wonder if the full rights to create a final fantasy VII remake were given to another studio could anyone do it right? Or is it product of its time that can never be reproduced?

I can’t think of another studio that could pull it off..

It's a game that has always massively divided gamers, let alone hardcore FF fans. It's an impossible task and SquareEnix are only looking at it from the point of view of squeezing their cash cow dry once and for all.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think the real issue is that everyone basically has their own vision of what an FF7 remake would look like. All I wanted was modern graphics, more materia, and more ways to link materia for cool effects and combinations. I don't even think the script needs polish because part of the charm is the typos and general goofiness.

Agreed, I just wanted the exact same game mechanics but with next-gen graphics and maybe a few more locations. Give me the chance to fight Sapphire Weapon too (always thought it was a waste that Rufus blew its head off in a cutscene.)

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 2, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

This is basically what I wanted from the FFVII remake. I'd have been delighted to have had this on PS3. No doubt it would have actually been released on time, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUY6uc4w3Zw

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Barudak posted:

Ah yes PS3 era square who developed the entire gameplay system of FF13 in 10 months only because they had to include a demo as a bluray bonus feature, hosed up FF14 launch disastrously, and then put FF13 spinoff on such hiatus it ended up being a ps4 game. That square was nailing timing.

None of that would have happened though as they'd have been fully focused on the FFVII Remake ;)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

FFVI could have been excellent on the N64. Stupid Nintendo.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

This is how a generation of teen boys was sexually awakened in the 90's.

Lara Croft for me, drat did she have some big ol' tittays too!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Laslow posted:

Dilly Dally Shilly Shally

It’s the only thing I remember at all from AC.

Mena Suvari voiced Aerith in AC. Always thought that was quite a big name for them to get.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 5, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just lol if you didn't watch AC with the voice track silenced and the subs on.

I watched it in Japanese with English subs because that is the cultured way to watch it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rascar posted:

no matter how he will be voiced it is gonna be trash. this lovely dialogue isn't meant to be spoken aloud. it's meant to be in text so your imagination can make it be cool.

ffvi is literally my favorite game of all time, but being realistic here; if that had voice acting it would probably be garbage. can you imagine relm and gau's lines being read aloud by a human? lol

Totally agree with you. Playing as a kid I just voiced Cloud in my head with my own voice, Barrett was Mr T, Tifa was my girlfriend or crush at the time, etc.

I was totally disappointed the first time I watched AC with the English dub.

The very first time I played FFVII I believed Tifa to be the main love interest, I just thought Aeris was a third wheel kind of character.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 6, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

TontoCorazon posted:

Cloud and Tifa sex scene is confirmed, they're gonna show full insertion. But it's done tastefully and super hot.

Game pulled from American shelves in seconds.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

oh no you didn't

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I just replayed and finished FF8 for the time since I was a teenager. FF8 is good and doesn’t deserve the snubbing it’s had from Square since.

Shameful confession: At the tender age of 13 FF8 was the first game I bought with my own money, and the first RPG I ever played. It was the first game I played that was something more than shooting aliens in the face or platforming.

So after an epic 50 hour journey when I finished it for the first time I was really sad that it was all over. In fact I was so upset I immediately started a new game.

Is the PS4 version of FF9 worth getting or should I just stick with my original copy on original hardware?

Depends if you like random encounters or not. PS4 version lets you disable them entirely (but also disables trophies.)

Graphically it's not massively different to the original.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

They're clearly dementors, guys.

That Harry Potter/Final Fantasy crossover we've all been waiting for!

Let's see how that release date holds up, haha.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

My question is who are SE even making this game for anymore?

You'd think from the trailers that it's people who grew up with and loved the original, but those gamers are now adults with families and responsibilities.

I want this game more than anything but I know i'm not going to have anywhere near enough spare time to play it.

If they'd made it on ps3 instead of teasing the poo poo out of us with that tech demo i'd have been all over it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

The question is, are they American chips or British chips? I'm assuming British but really, neither one belongs with eggs.

Egg & Chips is a very popular dish in the UK. Usually served alongside sliced ham or gammon.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Favorite Normal Battle Theme - VI, without question
Favorite Normal Boss Theme - VII
Favorite Special Boss Theme - FFVIII The Legendary Beast
Favorite Final Boss Theme - FVII - Come on, it's One Winged Freakin' Angel!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is it? I just assumed the Japanese script was good enough that the butchered version we got holds up.

The Japanese script is even more risque than the English version. Although more focused on sex and less on swearing.

There's a lot of cut dialogue that would have made players pretty drat uncomfortable if it had been left in and/or translated properly.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Elentor posted:

I'll be honest I had never heard FFMQ's normal battle theme, never cared for any of the series' regular battle theme, was gonna default to FFXIII and then I clicked to listen to FFMQ's and yup that's it now.

It's a well known fact that the only good thing about FF:MQ is the soundtrack, which is awesome.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

lalaland posted:

A good amount of content for the first episode would be the story up until they take the boat to Costa del sol. I would be disappointed if it was only midgar because that would mean the game would probably take 5 or more episodes with probably one episode every 2 years..

It doesn't really matter because the full game won't be coming out anyway. SE will either get bored of it or run out of money, or move onto a half baked FFVIII remake instead.

Just enjoy this for what it'll be, an expanded Midgar with a couple of new sidequests and story bits chucked in. I fully expect them to include the Expanded Universe stuff somewhere, for better or worse.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Eshettar posted:

Characters being absurdly more experienced than they should at their age is the sorta thing I've come to expect from Japanese games. Didn't Quistis have a teaching position at the Garden despite not being much older than Squall who was just graduating when FFVIII began?

And that's not even getting into the S.T.A.R.S members who were introduced in Resident Evil 1...

Quistis was 15 when she became a SeeD, she's 18 in the game and it's mentioned she's been an instructor for a year. Squall is 17 I believe? Either way they're all younger than their FFVII counterparts.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Katamari Democracy posted:

Wasnt the Black Materia the size of a vase? Or hell the size of the Temple of the Ancients?

Not the size of the Temple of the Ancients, it WAS the Temple of the Ancients.

Think about that for a second, and try not to let your brain explode.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

So is this pre or post titty reduction? I need titty calibration.

It's fanart.

Bonus - Go to Blair's website and see early concept drawings of Tifa in sheer lace panties!

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 21, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That scene loving owns, Cloud's flying through the lifestream only to see Sephiroth standing there shirtless, masamune in hand.

It does a bunch of quick cuts to them glaring at each other while your limit break fills up then you omnislash on his rear end.

Fun fact: If you skip your turn, Sephiroth attacks, but can't KO you. You then automatically counterattack, killing him instantly. It's not as fun, though.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 22, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

zakharov posted:

What are the best and worst FF7 musics?

Best: Opening/Bombing Mission

Worst: GOLD SAUCER GET OUT OF MY HEAD

Best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGHDXDI-DNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRAkpXTmCs

Worst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJmvj7o4ook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiWV2KseKeo

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

esperterra posted:

best: those who fight further, but only the black mages version (tho the regular one also owns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzFh9GuE0rA

worst: idk i'm drunk

This is horrendous. This is much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoXy-0JhbLA

(It gets really fuckin' good at 2:12)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I hate it mainly because of the GI Caves. gently caress that part of the game.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Pfft, the Gi Cave is babby's training for the Temple of the Ancients. At least the Temple has really good music though.

I don't hate it because it's hard, I hate it because it's a loving boring dungeon with too many random battles and a crap boss.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

communism bitch posted:

The two robot bosses you need to fight in the elevators while escaping ShinRa HQ stomped the crap out of me in my first play through. I'm not sure why they were so difficult, though. Possibly because you have to split the party up and I'd done something stupid with sending my Materia with the wrong group or w/e. But I remember playing that boss over and over again.

Both bosses are long range so you're basically hosed if you don't have any magic materia equipped on Aerith and Red XIII.

Luckily Barret has long range attacks but unless you stocked up on grenades for the others then it's a bitch.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 23, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Elentor posted:

I think I've mentioned once or twice because Luiza is my home girl and we've worked together quite a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5mAHMa9b4w

Some of the FFVII OC Remixes are excellent and even improve upon the original.

This is not one of them, sadly.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Big Bizness posted:

Whats problematic about it?

It depicts Cloud as a drooling moron with no subtlety whatsoever, including him gibbering and moaning and at one point IIRC Tifa gets really frustrated with him.

They can definitely handle it a bit more tastefully in the remake, should they ever release that part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

This sounds like it belongs is a Command & Conquer game.

Command & Conquer would rule with added jazz funk