Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

That gets muddied, though, because that was also Nick Fury's plot. The insight carriers were being built with his blessing, they may have even been his idea, but they were going to target terrorists based on DNA signature.

Shield isn''t corrupted by Hydra, it is literally the same organisation. Same goals, same methods. And Fury still wants to keep the carriers at the end, Cap has to talk him out of it.

Essentially, there are no good guys in the Marvel universe, but the films play out as if there are.

precisely, they are the same organization. or perhaps its more accurate that shield became hydra, or was subsumed by it, or whatever. the point is that you are right, there is no 'just' shield organization that was being secretly controlled by hydra, the complacency and arrogance of people who thought themselves good guys but neither critically examined their actions nor were vigilant for corrupting forces freely allowed the transformation.

Fury is a good example of an individual failure in this system. He views himself a hero, has good intentions, and at the crisis point fights back. However, it is still his fault and the fault of others in similar positions that it ever got that way to begin with. This kind of corruption is so sinister that even after multiple near-misses with horrible death and destruction, he almost immediately returns to the same errors that led to all the problems in the first place. It takes the urging and example set by cap to yank him back off the same path towards destruction.

I think it would be more accurate to say that there are no good organizations, rather than no good people. Any organization that trusts too fully in its own righteousness is wide open to corruption and atrocity. Even 'good' people with 'good' intentions will fall to the same depravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah that's a good reading that kind of works in the context of just winter soldier but the mcu has such a bad case of inertia that you end up with age of ultron bringing back More and Bigger Helicarriers with captain america brightly declaring "this is what shield was meant to be!" and uh

then they have that secret superhero prison in civil war which is uh

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ungulateman posted:

yeah that's a good reading that kind of works in the context of just winter soldier but the mcu has such a bad case of inertia that you end up with age of ultron bringing back More and Bigger Helicarriers with captain america brightly declaring "this is what shield was meant to be!" and uh

this is a case of different writers having varying understandings of the whole point of superhero movies, which is that ideology isn’t the thing that causes buildings to get knocked over and people to die, it’s the presence of power in the first place. all the halfway decent marvel movies (iron man 3, winter soldier, ragnarok) end with the superhero acknowledging that the arms race is what led to things getting so hosed up, not any costumed, prancing villain, and relinquishing power in response.

Of course, even in the examples above, the heroes save a lil’ bit of their power just in case they reeeeally need it, and that’s why they keep getting up to their neck in bullshit even after learning their lesson. it’s why Civil War is my favorite marvel movie conceptually (even though it is utterly, utterly dreary to actually watch), because the whole plot revolves around the avengers mobilizing more power than they’ve utilized in years for what turns out to be absolutely no god drat reason, and being thoroughly punished for it (all by voluntarily punishing each other!)

to bring it back to the thread topic a bit, Black Panther clearly tries to position itself as a bad movie, in which power is celebrated rather than rightly reviled, but the focus testing was so inept that it ends up being a good movie anyway. killmonger, despite being named killmonger, takes the moral high ground in basically every scene he’s in, and the various attempts at undercutting him, like giving him lines about killing babies, or naming him killmonger, falls so utterly flat as to make it immediately recognizeable as a matter of executive meddling rather than character writing.

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 6, 2018

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ungulateman posted:

To be fair that was more because Whedon didn't seem to give a single poo poo about Winter Soldier

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Farg posted:

but the institution allowed for the corruption, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that a corrupt institution can be so insidious as to allow otherwise good people to ignorantly remain within it and work to further its ends unknowingly? the message communicated is that no group, governmental or otherwise, is sacred or pure enough to be trusted with immense power, and that good people must be otherwise vigilant of bad actors at all times and be willing to oust them from power if found, violently if need be.

its a small scale indictment of the society the movie was made in, good people exist in western governments yet they work towards evil ends because we have not vigilantly protected these institutions from corruption. it is a call to action to root out the 'hyrda' in our own government. its a very heavy handed metaphor too, what with the villain plot being "bigger eviler drones", it is surprising how many people walk out with the opposite message.

This is a straightforward and correct reading of the film as right wing. Institutions and people are depicted as discrete ontological entities: things-in-themselves which can be examined separately from each other as they appear in their present state. This is necessary in order to delineate good/bad people/institutions in standard comic book morality. Justice is finding the unnatural evil and purging this otherness from the otherwise neutral system. If corporate malfeasance occurs, the solution is merely to purge it of the rogue individuals.

But there are no things-in-themselves in this manner, only particular abstractions. The film restricts these concepts to these particular abstractions so that it becomes entirely reasonable to keep the existing structures intact. So the people who do not want things to change, or fantasize about returning to a previous time, are the ones most ardent to insist how static and essential these things-in-themselves are. There is no examination of how institutions and people interrelate to form their respective ontologies.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 8, 2018

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
3rd US all time highest grosser
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ac9317be4b09d0a11946365

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
This is the greatest blaxploitation flick ever- a sharp dressed black man with a special drug who is constantly surrounded by an army of beautiful women loses his turf to a tougher kid from the streets. The upstart has bigger plans, but he messes up with the drug supply and treats his women poorly so he ends up getting deposed by the OG, ironically after he starts dressing the same way.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

brocked posted:

This is the greatest blaxploitation flick ever- a sharp dressed black man with a special drug who is constantly surrounded by an army of beautiful women loses his turf to a tougher kid from the streets. The upstart has bigger plans, but he messes up with the drug supply and treats his women poorly so he ends up getting deposed by the OG, ironically after he starts dressing the same way.

👎

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

achillesforever6 posted:

To be fair that was more because Whedon didn't seem to give a single poo poo about Winter Soldier

I still laugh about this because Cap/etc. are fugitives now because what, a diplomat not from/working for the US was assassinated and because Cap helped Bucky escape? Meanwhile in Winter Soldier Cap literally 9/11s the MCU's NSA's headquarters after declaring that it and Hydra are identical but hey none of that mattered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not exactly. The events of Winter Soldier were mentioned as being one of the key events behind the creation of the act that restricts the Avengers and what they are allowed to do. That plot still makes absolutely zero sense to me though. It's such an unpractical premise that completely falls apart when you give it even an ounce of thought.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Not exactly. The events of Winter Soldier were mentioned as being one of the key events behind the creation of the act that restricts the Avengers and what they are allowed to do. That plot still makes absolutely zero sense to me though. It's such an unpractical premise that completely falls apart when you give it even an ounce of thought.

Congress grilled Zuckerberg today because people post stuff on the internet and then get outraged when people on the internet see their posts.

Politicians are loving idiots. The MCU reflects this accurately.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GORDON posted:

Congress grilled Zuckerberg today because people post stuff on the internet and then get outraged when people on the internet see their posts.

Yeah that’s, uh

That’s not really what it was about

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Usually I avoid these threads but I clicked this one by accident and this from the first page

safe harbor posted:

It'll have a great opening weekend and that'll be it.

made me lol real hard

That's all I wanted to say, carry on

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

brocked posted:

This post reminds me of someone I know who unironically described 'Live and Let Die' as a Blaxploitation film, and the best one to boot.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Man, now I wish BP could've had Yaphet Kotto as T'Chaka

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

garycoleisgod posted:

Forget the more political arguments for a second, most of the action scenes in this are terrible, especially the final fight between BP and Killmonger. It is floaty and without impact, and features a shot straight out of the climax of the original X-Men film, that looked like poo poo then and still looks like poo poo now. (BP spinning around that pillar like Wolverine did around the Statue of Liberty's, uh, hat spikes?)

I don't think this is Coogler's fault, the one-take fight in Creed is tops and I like the two waterfall fights in this, so maybe the CGI requirements just turned everything to poo poo.

Loved the story and its moral ambiguity. The energy in the performances was definitely there and when Killmonger said his piece in T'challa's throne room I was actually rooting for him. Like yeeah that guy is a bit rough around the edges but I can't argue against his case at all. But T'challa shows restraint and doesn't fall into the circle of hate trap, that's not only an effective turning point but also a message of hope in dark times; at the same time Killmonger is instrumental in breaking Wakanda's hypocritical isolationism, which again makes sense.

But I agree, as an action movie this was terrible. It had the worst fight choreography of any recent Marvel movie, the floatiest CGI and, huh, the pacing was very off. I found it dull in more than one spot and really not the greatest vehicle to show how powerful Black Panther is. Ironically his best fight scenes are the one at the beginning of the movie and the ones in Civil War, a movie that is not titled Black Panther. I understand the cultural significance of the movie and I'm happy it's having so much success for that, but man I would've liked it if some reviews had mentioned that this is also a very lovely Marvel flick.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 4, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Some of the action scenes were really good but when its full on costume vs costume it was not that great.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This movie was very visually interesting and at the same time mind numbingly boring, and incredibly poorly written.

So much poo poo that is told at the audience and not shown, it's horrible.

Wakandan!Q was neat I guess?

Also motherfuck that minute-long marvel logo, what the gently caress.

A pity, because I was down like a motherfucking clown for this premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
When BP and Killmonger were going to the train tracks for the final fight and Shuri or whoever was like, "Your suits won't work!" I got pretty excited because I thought that we'd get a cool fight scene with Boseman and Jordan doing some legit fight choreography. Welp.

• Locked thread