Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just had 2 1/2 hours of fun. Movie's bonkers in a good way, I love that a dude can have a sharp suit color matched to the plate in his lip and it is not played for a joke.

I was worried beforehand the antagonist would not be interesting, just Black Panther With Different Color Accent. Luckily I was quite wrong, but I agree that he was so sympathetic that his evil deeds made him less interesting. I feel like he was made more cruel because someone was afraid the movie was getting too ambiguous and challenging. Also didn't care for Martin Freeman's extended role as Token White Good Guy. garycoleisgod has some excellent points about this and the practically ignored rest of Africa.

My favorite by far was T'Challa's techy sister Shuri.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ross definitely has a clear change of heart where at first he's quarelling with T'Challa over who gets to have (jacked as gently caress) Klaw, but in the end he risks his life to stop the weapon transports (which struck me as a little overdramatic, as if the survival of the world or Wakanda's secret hinged on that one last craft escaping). All the same I'd have preferred he cleared the stage after Klaw's escape.

Also with how hellbent Wakanda is about staying hidden, you'd think allowing a white guy in would be kind of a mortal sin.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

One of my favorite parts was the apartment ancestor scene.
"What, you don't have any tears for me?"
"Nah, people die all the time. It's normal around here."
Then it cuts to the brother crying and suddenly killmonger's grown up again and crying was good.

Yeah, drat. Again, stuff like that makes me wish they'd reined in Killmonger's needless cruelty more. Have the antagonist truly make the hero rethink his life in the way that Iron Man 2 chickened out of. It kinda happened here, with T'Challa realizing Wakanda's isolationism must change, but I would've loved something like Killmonger and Panther beating the hell out of each other while crying for having to.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

My theater went straight from a trailer for Tomb Raider, into the part of film where they are telling the history of Wakanda with the black sand tech. Was there anything in the movie before that point? Normally they'll play a bunch of ads and "please silent your phones!" PSA type bits before every movie. I'm assuming I didn't miss anything, and they were doing it to save time to pack in even more Black Panther screenings (they had almost 40, all sold out!) but wanted to make sure.

Nah, that's the start. The movie didn't show its title until after the first mid credits scene, did it?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

Also, I know it would've ruined the reveal later on, but I felt like we were robbed of a young cgi Forest Whitaker in the beginning of the movie.

https://youtu.be/SxwMTAy1gP0

• Locked thread