Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

double negative posted:

This is the best Marvel movie in my opinion, and the least MCU-ish of them all. The action sequences are fine, but they almost seem beside the point. Like, yeah, we gotta do this, but thatís not where this movieís heart is. Itís just kinda awkward because it has to do all the things and I wanted more time, for instance, with Killmonger just talking about his views, or exploring Wakandan society. Boseman was good, but in a movie where so much of the supporting cast was great, his performance felt kind of workmanlike.

Thereís a lot of poo poo in this movie that wonít mean anything to most white folks, in particular a dialogue between Africans and the black diaspora that I donít think Iíve seen in a movie before. I also kinda felt that the first outreach center being to Oakland was kind of weird, but Coogler is from Oakland, all the poo poo he makes is mad personal, and they arenít passing up a chance to cater to an American audience. Ultimately this movie didnít feel like it was about the plight of Black Americans or the struggles of the African continent, but about Wakanda, its flaws, and the gently caress ups of the previous generation.

Iímma see it again on Friday and probably have more poo poo to say about it, but most importantly, MíBaku 2020.

Uh, the home base of the Black Panther being in Oakland makes perfect sense.

Also please stop calling Oakland LA. (Not the post I quoted obvi but some of you people donít know your California.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The correct answer to "Why Oakland?"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

double negative posted:

Well aware of Oakland's background, my issue with the outreach center being there is that, while it I appreciated how it fit thematically, Wakanda is supposed to be in the immediate vicinity of fuckin' South Sudan, like, priorities, my king. Y'all been isolated for that long, maybe start with your neighbors, because obviously poo poo's been going down on your borders, as we saw in that jungle scene..

my bad, i just saw like three people call it LA and was phone-posting and I really liked bringing the Black Panther "back home" so to speak.

I'm sure they have literal trillions of dollars and massive amounts of tech to drop all around the world, i imagine if Nakia is disguising herself as a kidnapped girl to find and take care of the kidnappers that she knows where and how to put it best to use closer to home.

edit: In a completely unrelated note that I found a little funny, the final battle scene kinda strongly mirrors the final battle scene of Star Wars Episode 1. Space battle, ground battle with armies and transparent shields and individual battle "inside" between the main character and the villain including a moment where the fighting stops and they have to pace back and forth waiting for a wall to go down.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2018 around 05:01

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

garycoleisgod posted:

Yes, I think you're right. It was probably too much to expect a marvel movie to buck expectations that much. Also, my assumption that the movie would deal with more white villains is affecting my judgement of the film. I still don't like the Ross character but I should let it go.

On a more positive note, M'Baku ruled. What a total bro.

the sound design whenever he and his army started grunting was awesome, it really felt like the theater was surrounded

actually just all of the production values were really loving high (that Disney Budget got put to good use). Costuming, set design, sound design, music, cinematography, character design, all of that stuff was on point. I loved Shuri's lab, it was like Q's lab from a Bond movie but with this gorgeous African art all over. Actually the entire first third or so felt like an African Bond movie, especially the stuff in Korea. The future tech was also really creative.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

Letitia Wright was fantastic and I hope she gets more work.

if they're really writing a Black Widow movie and they want to do a James Bond-style spy flick they've gotta bring her in as the gadget person.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

I truly disagree with the notion that a comedic scene undercuts a dramatic scene. For me, it's super palpable to have mad tension, and then laugh as a release. It's supposed to be a calming moment to let you know that the shift has happened. I don't think it ruins anything. It just shifts it.

You're right in that doing that doesn't inherently ruin the moment but some of the Marvel movies do it to the point where it becomes a very obvious trope and gets less interesting the more it is done.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

It's really not that comedic, though. Yall are acting like the dude slipped off his rhino and fell into some poopy. Most of that moment comes from "ohhhh right, they were an item, of course the rhino would like her".

oh i didn't mean it about that scene, i thought that was just fine. It's just a broader complaint about a lot of the Marvel films and some of them have it more than others. I don't remember any really egregious instances in BP

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Guardians Vol 2 worked the best for me but apparently no one else here so I donít now.

I actually really like Guardians 2 also.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Arist posted:

Neoliberal = bad person who opposes revolutions (and nothing else) I guess, lol

The real answer is that it's a bad take

WRONG MOTHER FUCKER (although with the way it gets tossed around so casually in political conversations I get where you're coming from.

T'Challa is a neo-liberal in the foreign policy sense of the word. The Wiki definition is, "In the study of international relations, neoliberalism refers to a school of thought which believes that states are, or at least should be, concerned first and foremost with absolute gains rather than relative gains to other states." Basically it's a counter-idea to realism in foreign policy which is a belief system primarily based on the idea that states are in constant conflict and competition with each other and that every state/nation's win is a loss for another. Neo-liberalism then is a belief system based on the idea of looking at absolute gains instead of relative gains, and that there can be mutually beneficial actions when states work together. The UN is the Łr-neoliberal entity, as it's a giant meeting place for states to come together to create better policy for the world rather than be in conflict with each other, and try to work through potential conflicts without resorting to violence. (guess who's taking a foreign policy class this semester?)

temple posted:

neoliberal = isolationist, protectionist, anti-immigration lol

literally the opposite. You're thinking of neorealism.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

god dammit guys i just learned about this like a week ago lemme have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i wanna be real for a second here:

Seeing Lupita Nyongo is an incredibly good reason to freeze. You can't blame T'Challa there.

• Locked thread