Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I was in my local Value Village the other day, and I decided to drop $5 on this:

(Don't mind my dirty socks.) The Game of Life has been around, in name at least, since 1860, but the game as we know it was first published in 1960. It's gone through some iterations over the years - different boards, corporate tie-ins, electronic gizmos - but this is about as close to the version I played as a youth as I'm going to get without dropping $35 on a 50th anniversary repro edition.

And it even has all the pieces! Well, it's shy a few people pegs, but there are still more than enough to play a full six-player game.

Which is what we're going to do! I've got the board all set up and the cards, tiles, money, and plastic bits all sorted. All I need now is a half-dozen players... which is where you come in.

If you're interested in playing, pick a car (first-come, first-served on color, though if someone takes the one you want, you can always challenge them to bare-knuckle boxing or something) and a meeple (sadly, The Game of Life is gender-normative, but if you self-identify as a dolphin, I don't care - just pick pink or blue). Also, give me a last name for the family you'll soon be forming. Once I have six players, we'll get started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Bud "The Spud" Straggle was a legendary knight in the faraway fantasy world of Blandland, until one day an evil warlock cast a spell to doom his world to ruin. In order to save Blandland, Bud is tasked by an ancient sorceress to undergo the most daunting of trials: survive a lifetime in the modern 20th century Earth. Many have tried and all succumbed to despair and anguish no mere mortal could ever hope or wish to comprehend. Can Bud pass the impossible challenge and bring peace to his kingdom, or at least spin a drat 10 come on dammit not another 2 is this thing busted or something?

Ooo, I like this. I'd already planned to spice things up a bit by asking the players questions about their little largely-blue pegs, but it seems you've beat me to it!

Pea posted:

What update schedule are you aiming for OP?

'As I have time', really. At least a couple of times on weekdays. Weekends are iffier, because I work weird hours.

Anyway, let's get started. The ultimate goal of The Game of Life is to retire with the most cash. To this end, there are several things you can do on your turn. You can do any and all of the following:
  • Buy automobile insurance. For $10,000, you can be protected from any Bad Stuff that would happen to your car. As far as I can tell, this lasts the whole game.
  • Buy homeowner's insurance. The same deal, but for houses, and the cost depends on what kind of house you have. Don't worry about this yet.
  • Buy a stock, if you don't have one already. For $50,000, you claim one of the numbers on the spinner other than the 10 that hasn't already been claimed. For the rest of the game, any time that number is spun by any player, you get $10,000.
  • Take out a loan from the bank. Loans are issued in $20,000 amounts, and there's no real limit to how many you can take out. However, at the end of the game (or sooner, if you like), you have to repay each loan in the amount of $25,000.
The one thing you must do each turn is spin the spinner, move that many spaces, and follow the instructions on the space you land on. (If you would land on someone else's car, you move forward to the first available space.) There are some exceptions to this, but I'll describe them as they come up.

Since this is your first turn, though, there are a few things that need to be sorted out. First is turn order. I put your names in the virtual hat and came out with the order TheMcD, Coolguye, Bellmaker, Lizard Wizard, Mega64, and Dinictus. Next, you each get $10,000. Last, but definitely not least, you have to decide your starting path.

(Don't mind my legs. Or those socks that really should go in the laundry basket.) There are two paths you can take at the beginning of the game: Start a Career, or Start College. There are two key differences between the two. One is that college is expensive; you take out an $100,000 loan right away, which means you'll owe $125,000 at the end of the game. (e: I've since been corrected that the $100,000 goes straight to tuition. You don't get to spend it.) The other is that going to college gives you much better options when it comes to your Career.

There are nine Careers in the game. Two of them (Accountant and Doctor) require a degree, while the other seven each have a special ability. (I'll cover what's so good about the Accountant and Doctor Careers shortly.) Each card has a special symbol on it as well. Some of the spaces on the board also have these symbols, and if you land on them, you have to pay a certain amount to the bank - but if someone has the Career with the matching symbol, you give the money to them instead. (That's what's so good about the Accountant card - they collect every time someone has to pay taxes!)

Each Career card also has two color stripes, one on either side of the special symbol. These are their Salary colors. When you're choosing a Salary, you're restricted to Salary cards of one of those two colors. (That's what's so good about the Doctor card - they're the only one with a yellow stripe!)

So how do you get a Career and a Salary, you ask? Well, if you choose to skip school, it's simple. On your first turn, before moving, you randomly draw Career cards until you find one that doesn't need a degree. If you go to college, though, once you reach the red Career Choice space, you stop (even if you had spaces remaining on that spin), then randomly draw three Career cards and choose the one you want. In either event, you then draw Salary cards until you find one with a color that matches one of yours.

So going to college is good... but it doesn't guarantee you'll get that Doctor card or the $100,000 Salary card that could potentially come with it. And it puts you $125,000 in the hole compared to anyone who doesn't go.

Which means I need TheMcD to answer a couple of questions. (The rest of you don't have to answer right this second, but the sooner I get your answers, the sooner I can process your turn.)
  • Do you want to Start College or Start a Career?
  • Do you want to do any of the optional turn activities?
  • What's one interesting fact about your peg's childhood?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 16, 2018

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Poil posted:

Looking at the first tiles, there's a small chance to end up having to pay 5000 if you don't have car insurance which costs twice that amount. Presumably there will be more of them later. :v:

In the event you have to pay more than you have cash on hand, you must take out enough loans to afford to do so. As for car accidents, yes, there are enough of those that car insurance is a good idea, if you're unlucky.

TheMcD, I'm waiting for your move.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, I just got home from work. Having the update post at 2 AM my time means it might be a bit before I get to it.

Not a problem! Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss that it was your turn.

Mr. Conway chooses to Start College, so I give him $100,000 in cash and $100,000 in student loan cards. Then it's time to spin the spinner and call the shots.

Ouch. Not an auspicious start.

Turn order:
  • Raquel Radcliffe (Coolguye):
  • Mr. McAllister (Bellmaker):
  • Mr. Onions (Lizard Wizard):
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64):
  • Mr. Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD): (skips next turn)

Coolguye, you're up. (Other folks can feel free to pre-load their first move. I've got Mega64's already.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Raquel Radcliffe heads to College! After assuming some crippling debt, she spends half her student loan on stock #7 (yes, you get to choose the number) and spins the spinner.

Bummer. College textbooks are a huge ripoff. Ah well!

Turn order:
  • Mr. Dee (Dinictus):
(In case you're curious, that's the Dow Jones logo on that stock icon.) Bellmaker, you're up!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Wait you actually gave out the 100k from the student loans to do whatever with? I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure you just get the debt, not the cash, otherwise that's super busted.

The rules I have say 'Borrow $100,000 from the bank'. You have to pay $125,000 back at the end of the game, so you're $25,000 down from anyone who doesn't go to college, and there's still no guarantee that you'll get a high-paying job (though the odds are better).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah it says "borrow $100,000 from the bank for tuition" I am certain you just get the debt because the money goes to paying for college.

:eng101:

Hm. On reflection, I see your point. However, since three people have already made moves based on my reading of the rules...

:siren: TheMcD, Coolguye, and Mega64: should we play the game in this way? And, if so, do you want to change what you did with your turn? (Coolguye, if not, you'll need to take out additional loans to cover the cost of the stock and your books.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm going to go ahead and revert my inadvertent house rule so Bellmaker can consider his turn. However, I still need TheMcD to let me know if he wants to re-do his turn; if he does, I'll re-spin.

e: also, updated turn order, assuming TheMcD doesn't want to make any changes:
  • Mr. Dee (Dinictus):

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 15, 2018

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Game rules state you can only buy one stock per turn.

And now it's my turn to correct you: at least with my rule set, you can only buy a stock if you don't already have one. (It's possible to have two stocks, but only if you already have one when you land on the space that gives you a free one.) So you're technically correct (the best kind of correct), but missed an important detail. :v:

Bellmaker, we're waiting on you.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Since it's been 24 hours since I asked Bellmaker to move, and nearly three days since he's posted in this thread at all, I hereby decree that Bellmaker loses a turn. Lizard Wizard, you're up.

Turn order:
  • Mr. Dee (Dinictus):

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

Wow, I didnt know that this game went back to the 1860's

It looked a lot different back then:

And the gameplay was quite similar to Chutes and Ladders.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Coolguye posted:

also: if someone is acquainted with bellmaker it would be good to holler at him outside of this thread. goodness knows i forgot this thread existed the day or two after i signed up and only remembered to come in through random browsing of the forum.

I would have poked him, but he doesn't have PMs. And for some strange reason, his post history is very sparse and doesn't even include his post in his thread, so I can't tell if he's been away or not paying attention. (Also, Coolguye, why don't you have this thread bookmarked?)

Jake Onions decides to Start a Career, so I draw a card from the Career deck, then draw cards from the Salary deck until I get a color match. The result?

Man, I was hoping this one wouldn't come up. I've been using Random.org to actually generate random numbers as needed, then just setting the spinner to the appropriate value for the photos. Now I actually have to spin the spinner, which is tricky to do with enough force to fairly generate a number. I'm just going to spin it once each turn with at least enough force to get a full revolution (the Wheel of Fortune/Price is Right rule), then go to Random.org anyway. (Note that Jake does not collect if he's the one who derails it, since he's expected to fix his own mess.)

Anyway. Jake gets a 7 and passes over not one but two Pay Day spaces, which means he collects $100,000. He also lands on a LIFE spot. There are 25 LIFE tiles in the game, and each one pays out a certain amount of money at the end of the game. (How much isn't revealed until then.) Four of them are reserved for the endgame at Millionaire Estates (more on that when someone actually gets there). The rest go into a stack that players draw from each time they land on a LIFE spot. When the stack runs out, they steal from an opponent.

Next, since Mega64 pre-loaded his turn, Bud chooses to Start a Career as well. What does he get?

He gets to put cool blue and red lights on top of his little red wagon. As a side note, there's no general rule against speeding; this only applies if someone's the Police Officer. Also, if Bud spins a 10, he just turns his lights on.

Giving the spinner a quick spin...

Man, Racquel probably wishes she'd bought that stock after all. Bud collects two pay days, or $80,000, but since Jake's occupying the LIFE spot, Bud moves to the next available space...

...aaaand immediately has to pay $5,000 to the bank. (The symbol on the space means that the money would go to the Doctor if we had one.)

Dinictus, it is your turn. Don't forget the childhood anecdote. Also! I'm going to start asking questions that people must answer before, or as, they take their turn. (If you don't want to preload a turn, you can post the answer separately if you want.) These questions are as follows:
  • TheMcD: What was Mr. Conway's hardest subject in college, and how did he manage to pass it?
  • Coolguye: What textbook did Raquel get the most use out of, and what was that use?
  • Bellmaker: Still waiting on the childhood anecdote.
  • Lizard Wizard: What were the best and worst parts of Jake's 21st birthday party?
  • Mega64: How exactly did "The Spud" injure himself, and what was the most eventful (good or bad) part of his recovery?
Turn order:
  • Mr. Dee (Dinictus):
  • Jake Onions (Lizard Wizard): 💻
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64): 👮

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 17, 2018

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's not allowed to have two cars on the same space?

That's correct. (There's no room to have more than one car on the same space anyway.) If you would land on someone else's car, you move forward until you find an empty space. All of the spaces that force you to stop, even if you have moves remaining, have you spin again once you've done whatever you need to do, so they're never occupied. The exceptions, of course, are the two spaces at the end of the track, which I'll go into when we get there.

Speaking of getting places, I've sent Dinictus a PM paging him to the thread. TheMcD has to skip a turn, so in 24 hours or less, it'll be Coolguye's turn. Have your anecdote and your optional actions, if any, ready!

e:

Mega64 posted:

He did learn swords are decent canes...if you hold them the right way. Otherwise, they'll simply increase your hospital bills.

"Handle first. Handle first."

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 18, 2018

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Johnny Dee decides to Start College. He also decides that $100,000 isn't enough debt and takes out $60,000 worth of additional loans to buy Stock #4 and get his car insured. We'll see if these decisions pay off!

Well, that's nice. Dinictus, here's your question for next turn: what's the most trouble you and your new best friend got into in college? And since TheMcD is skipping his turn, Coolguye, you're up.

Turn order:
  • Jake Onions (Lizard Wizard): 💻
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64): 👮
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Incidentally, I've just gone through the rules and discovered a few things are lacking. Specifically:
  • There doesn't seem to be a rule covering what to do if you have to pay money and don't have enough. I'm ruling that, since the instructions for bank loans say 'You may borrow money from the bank during any one of your turns' (as opposed to, say, stocks, where the instructions say 'at the beginning of any one of your turns'), you have to take out enough loans to make the payment. (Obviously, if you want to pay money and don't have enough, you may take out enough loans to do so.)
  • There doesn't seem to be a rule covering what to do if you want to take out a loan, but all the Bank Loan slips are in use. I'm ruling that you can't do so.
  • And, as you might guess, there's no rule covering what to do if you have to pay money, don't have enough, and can't borrow from the bank because all the Bank Loan slips are in use.
I bring all this up because, at this point, there are only two Bank Loan slips unallocated. I'm not sure if my used copy is just missing some slips or if they didn't account for, say, everyone in a six-player game deciding to go to college.

The best solution to this issue that I see is to have unlimited bank loans; after all, I can put a lot of Loanshim.png into a post. However, if you think you have a better suggestion, feel free to make it!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Raquel spins the spinner and gets a 9!

And lands exactly on the Career Choice space. (If she'd rolled a 10, in addition to paying Bud $10,000, she'd have been forced to stop here.) I draw her three Career Cards...

...and give her a choice I don't expect to be difficult. Nevertheless, she must choose a career. Here's a breakdown of the careers and the possible salaries remaining in the deck; I'll draw a Salary Card at random once she decides.
  • Artist: Collect $10,000 from any other player who spins a 1. Possible salaries: $20k, $30k, $80k.
  • Athlete: Can trade in four LIFE tiles to take the $100,000 salary card, stealing it from another player if necessary! Possible (starting) salaries: $20k, $60k, $70k, $90k.
  • Doctor: ...do you need anything other than possible salaries of $60k, $70k, $90k, and $100k?
Turn order:
  • Raquel Radcliffe (Coolguye): 🎓
  • Jake Onions (Lizard Wizard): 💻 $50k salary; $20k taxes.
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64): 👮 $40k salary; $15k taxes.
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

In a move that surprises literally no one, Doctor Raquel Radcliffe graduates, picking up a salary of... drum roll, please... $90,000! Not the golden ring, but by no means getting sent away with a copy of the home game. She also spins again, this time getting an 8 and collecting her first pay day.

Which leads me to two questions: What kind of doctor is Dr. Radcliffe? And why was she biking to work, anyway? It is also Bellmaker's turn; if he misses two more turns, I'll let someone else take over his car and make three rolls to catch up.

Turn order:
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64): 🚔 $40k salary; $15k taxes. (Preloaded turn: buy auto insurance.)
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):
  • Dr. Raquel Radcliffe (Coolguye): 🏥 $90k salary; $40k taxes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Threads like this need to go in the New LP Thread, so I don't miss out on them! :argh: There's already a line of prospective replacements ahead of me, so I'll just sit back and enjoy this game. I'll also ask, are there plans to do another run once this one is finished?

No plans, no, but no not-plans either. We'll see how I feel about the whole thing when the time comes.

Also, since it looks like I'm going to be needing a new player soon, I should point out that I'm not using a line of replacements, if for no other reason than that there's no guarantee the people who expressed interest are still bothering to follow the thread. Instead, when I give a player their last chance to keep playing, I'll announce a 24-hour deadline. If they fail to respond, the spot will go to the first person who asks for it after the deadline. So, y'know, hands on buzzers. :v:

oldskool posted:

It may not be twenty players, and it may not officially include poo poo-talking, but let it be known that in this incantation of board game shenanigans I'm firmly on team Dr. Raquel.

I... don't know what you're referencing here.

Anyway! Lizard Wizard, you're up.

Turn order:
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64): 🚔 $40k salary; $15k taxes. (Preloaded turn: buy auto insurance.)
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):
  • Dr. Raquel Radcliffe (Coolguye): 🏥 $90k salary; $40k taxes.
  • Mr. McAllister (Bellmaker): (Has missed two turns!)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

...aaaand LW got probated on purpose. Sigh. Get your move in by tomorrow, all right?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Jake Onions buys the #3 stock for $50,000, then spins the spinner... and gets a 7. (Dr. Radcliffe feels angry and doesn't know why.) He passes another Pay Day space (making the $50,000 back immediately) and lands squarely on...

Which means he has two questions to answer. What color peg should I put in the passenger seat, and How did Jake meet his significant-other-to-be?

Turn order:
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):
  • Dr. Raquel Radcliffe (Coolguye): 🏥 $90k salary; $40k taxes. (Preloaded turn: buy stock #7.)
  • Mr. McAllister (Bellmaker): (Has missed two turns!)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

If Lizard Wizard doesn't get back to me by morning on the whole peg-color thing, I'm going to assign one at random to keep the game moving. While I'm at it, let me get a desired significant other color from the rest of you.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Remember Jake's cousin? She still can't cook.

Kissing cousins, eh? Kinky. And possibly illegal, but we'll let that slide.

Jake spins a second time...

...and lays out for a fancy reception. What's Jake going to tell his kids about it?

Next, "The Spud" gets some insurance for his undercover cop car and gives the wheel a spin.

And it's his turn at the altar! What color peg do you want?

Turn order:
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64): 🚔 $40k salary; $15k taxes.
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):
  • Dr. Raquel Radcliffe (Coolguye): 🏥 $90k salary; $40k taxes. (Preloaded turn: buy stock #7.)
  • Mr. McAllister (Bellmaker): (Preloaded turn: buy auto insurance and Start a Career.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Coolguye posted:

IM RAISIN AWARENESS

Huh. Don't know how I missed that. All right, time to spin.

(Excuse the flash; the light in my room gets anemic at night.) This is the first time someone's landed on a blue space. On orange spaces, you have to follow the instructions, but on blue spaces, you may follow them. In this case, "The Spud" can pay $20,000 to smarten himself up a bit. If he chooses to do so, I'll draw two Career cards, and he'll choose one of them to keep, or to keep the Career card he already has. If he chooses a new Career, he'll also get a new Salary in the usual way. (And yes, as far as I can tell you can become a Doctor or Accountant this way! A lucky landing for Bud.)

So what'll it be, Bud? You gonna take a chance at a better Life?

Turn order:
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):
  • Mr. McAllister (Bellmaker): (Preloaded turn: buy auto insurance and Start a Career.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Let's go to Night School

Aight.

Your options are:
  • Keep your cop job, with $40k salary.
  • Become a Teacher. The 'special benefits' mentioned on the card, according to the rules, are collecting money when someone lands on a space associated with that Career. As it says that, and does not say you can use the special text on the other Career card, I'm assuming that you can't. Possible salaries: $30k, $40k, $60k, $70k, $80k.
  • Become an Artist. If anyone else spins a 1, they pay you $10,000. Possible salaries: $20k, $30k, $40k, $80k.
What's it gonna be? And why did Bud make that choice?

Turn order:
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Bud changes Careers, becoming a Teacher. I start drawing Salary cards, and I get... $70k salary! Well done, Bud.

Dinictus, it's your turn.

Turn order:
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64): 🍎 $70k salary; $30k taxes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Dinictus posted:

Already provided an answer to your earlier question, still happily awaiting a job. Or, barring that, coming up short and getting fortune or misfortune, first.

Did I miss you saying you didn't want to do any optional activities? I apologize if so.

Johnny Dee spins... a 7. (I swear I'm still using Random.org for these!)

Which puts him just shy of getting a Career. What does Johnny remember best about graduation day? Also, it's TheMcD's turn.

Turn order:
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):
  • Jake McAllister (Bellmaker): (Preloaded turn: buy auto insurance and Start a Career.)
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mega64 posted:

To streamline my turns a bit, Preloading that I don't plan to buy any stocks this game and that I won't take out loans except after landing on spaces where I may want/need more money.

Duly noted! I put it down as 'take no optional actions', but I'll still ask you if you, say, want to buy home insurance when you get a house; I just mean 'don't wait when it's my turn, just spin the spinner'. If anyone else wants to pre-load that, feel free! (You still need to answer whatever question I ask before your turn comes around again.)

Turn order:
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD):
  • Jake McAllister (Bellmaker): (Preloaded turn: buy auto insurance and Start a Career.)
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64): 🍎 $70k salary; $30k taxes. (Preloaded turns: take no optional actions.)
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Alright. Uh, before I get on things, what exactly are you waiting for from me again? I think I lost track.

I just need to know if you want to take any optional actions - auto insurance and/or buying a stock - before you spin.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

TheMcD posted:

I was more wondering along the lines of anecdotes about my player character that I still hadn't put together yet.

Oh right. There's this: What was Mr. Conway's hardest subject in college, and how did he manage to pass it? (Also, does he have a first name, or should I just keep calling him Mr. Conway?)

A quick draw from the stocks not already spoken for gives Mr. Conway Stock #1. It also gives him another $60k in debt (including the auto insurance), at which point the game board is officially overdrawn. (I'm going to start using the $20k bills to represent loans, at least physically, as I'm not using them for anything else.)

Jake Onions's stock option pays out! (Two Jakes and a John. This could get awkward.) And Mr. Conway makes the Dean's List. How'd he manage that? (As a note, I'm going to start using :question: to indicate that someone has a question to answer before their turn.)

Coolguye's turn comes around, and at last Dr. Radcliffe is able to buy that Stock #7 she's been longingly looking at. (Now watch me never spin a 7 again.)

:toot:

So Dr. Radcliffe has collected two pay days, two LIFE tiles, and two in-laws. (And no speeding tickets. Sorry, Bud.) How's that working out for her?

Bellmaker's turn is next, but my browser's acting up, so I'm gonna post this, reload some stuff, and continue the Game of Life!

Turn order:
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD): :question:
  • Dr. Raquel Radcliffe (Coolguye): 🏥 $90k salary; $40k taxes. :question:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Right. Time for Bellmaker to finally get a turn. A quick purchase of auto insurance (a popular investment), then a few draws from the Career and Salary decks, and...

...well, they can't all be winners. Ah well. Maybe spinning will make things better.

I suppose that depends on how you define 'better'. Certainly Jake(s) are happy to get an extra $10k, but Mr. McAllister might have preferred getting it without someone dying for it. Or maybe not. What're his thoughts on the circumstances of his inheritance?

Speaking of the other Jake, it's his turn. (I decided I'm just going to use 'has answered his question' as the metric for whether someone takes their turn.)

Though maybe I should have asked if he wanted auto insurance first? Ah well. Easy come, easy go on that third stock payout. How'd he total that car, anyway?

It's now Mega64's turn. Let's see how it goes.

Well, Dr. Radcliffe made some bank, but Bud had to screech to a halt because it's time to buy a muthafuckin house! *airhorn x1000* Here's how this works.

When it's time to stop at this space, I'll draw two House Deeds. Each Deed has a price (the big number), an insurance cost (the fancier the house, the more you have to pay for home insurance), and a resale value chart. You will have a chance to sell your house (and replace it with a new one, if you choose) a bit farther down the track, and you must sell your house when you reach retirement. In either event, you spin to determine how much you can offload the house for.

So here's Bud's decision. Does he buy a house? If so, which one? And does he get insurance on it? Once he's decided on that, he'll spin again. (To save counting the tiny bills, he has $185,000 cash on hand.)

Turn order:
  • Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64): 🍎 $70k salary; $30k taxes. :question:
  • Johnny Dee (Dinictus):
  • Mr. Conway (TheMcD): :question:
  • Dr. Raquel Radcliffe (Coolguye): 🏥 $90k salary; $40k taxes. :question:
  • Jake McAllister (Bellmaker): 🎨 $30k salary; $10k taxes. :question:
  • Jake Onions (Lizard Wizard): 💻 $50k salary; $20k taxes. :question:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Incidentally, I haven't automated the turn order thingy or anything, so banking errors are possible! Catch them before your turn (or the turn of someone you don't like, if I made a mistake in their favor) or forever hold your peace.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Looking at it, it doesn't really seem like there's any functional purpose to buying a house if you're trying to win from a gameplay perspective.

I think the general idea is that it's an investment, but it does seem to be a poor one. Anyhoo, Bud continues to rent on Fortune Street.

And picks up a pay day, as well as a bonus. Which leads to the question: which of his many talents did Bud show off, and how?

Next up, Dinictus. Spinning is largely a formality (though I do it to check for stock payouts), as Johnny Dee's only one space away from choosing a Career. And what are his options?

Sadly, he missed the Accountant, and it's a bit late for Salesperson to be a good pick. On the other hand, he can poach that Police Officer Career ($40k/$60k/$80k), and while the Athlete salaries are poorer ($20k/$60k), that special ability could be huge. What's it gonna be?

Turn order:
  • :question: Johnny Dee (Dinictus):

• Conway (TheMcD):

• :question: Dr. Raquel Radcliffe (Coolguye):

🏥 $90k salary; $40k taxes.

• :question: Jake McAllister (Bellmaker):

🎨 $30k salary; $10k taxes.

• :question: Jake Onions (Lizard Wizard):

💻 $50k salary; $20k taxes.

• :question: Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64):

🍎 $70k salary; $30k taxes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Johnny Dee decides to become an Athlete and, luckily for him, draws the $60k salary card! Then he spins again.

Conway doubles his money, and Johnny Dee collects his first paycheck. Say, what sport does Johnny play, anyway? And what'd he do with that first check?

It's now Conway's turn, so he gives it a spin.

And as the last person to choose a Career, his options are these:

At this point, all of the green Salary cards are out of the deck, which means that Police Officer (and technically Salesperson, but I don't predict TheMcD picking that) pay either $40k or $80k, depending on the luck of the draw. Entertainer, on the other hand, could pay $20k, $40k, or $80k... but that Big Break could lead to war between Conway and Johnny.

The rules clarify that either an 8, a 9, or a 10 must be spun twice in a row, not necessarily by the same player, so as of this moment, if TheMcD takes the Entertainer position, he has a 3% chance of getting the big bucks as soon as Coolguye touches the spinner. (The 8 showing right now doesn't count, but TheMcD will be spinning as soon as he picks a Career.) On the other hand, Johnny can take the $100k Salary away whenever he wants, so long as he has the four LIFE tiles to spend on it. Maybe Conway would prefer to hope for an $80k salary that can't so easily be snatched away, plus the power of a police badge.

So. You make the call.

Turn order:
  • :question: Conway (TheMcD):

• :question: Bud "The Spud" Straggle (Mega64):

🍎 $70k salary; $30k taxes.

• :question: Johnny Dee (Dinictus):

🏆 $60k salary; $25k takes.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 26, 2018

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Conway becomes a Police Officer and draws the $80k Salary card! Nice. In addition, Bud's special ability kicks in, and he draws the Salesperson Career as his summer job, meaning he'll collect whenever someone else lands on one of the spaces marked with a price tag (or if anyone decides to buy a stock or insurance at this point). Then Conway spins again... and the spinner gets stuck between numbers! Sadly, it didn't stay that way long enough for me to take a photo, but Jake collects $50k to fix the issue.

Eaugh. How'd that get in there? I need to empty my camera more often.

That's better. Conway collects two pay days and draws near to nuptials, which means my question for him is: What color peg do you want in the passenger seat when the time comes?

It is now Coolguye's turn. As a reminder, before he can take his turn, he must answer the question of how Dr. Radcliffe is doing with her new in-laws. (He can also decide to buy auto insurance and/or pay back some loans, but as I said previously, if he doesn't say he wants to do any optional things when he answers the question, I'll assume he doesn't.)

Turn order:

• Jake Onions (Lizard Wizard):

🍎🔖 $70k salary; $30k taxes.

• Johnny Dee (Dinictus):

Preloaded turn: pay off one loan.

🚔 $80k salary; $35k taxes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Dinictus posted:

As an aside, can you insure your house when you don't buy any of those house cards?

I think what you're actually asking is, 'If I land on a space that says something bad happens to my house, am I still screwed even if I don't actually have one?' Which is a harder question than I initially thought. Here's what the rules as written say:
  • You must stop on a space on which you may buy a house.
  • You must stop on a space on which you may sell your house, if you have one. You then may buy a house, if you do not have one.
  • When you retire, you must sell your house, if you have one.
  • You may buy homeowner's insurance when you buy a house, or at the beginning of any of your turns thereafter.
  • You must discard homeowner's insurance, if you have it, when you retire.
This is what they don't say:
  • If you buy a house at the first opportunity, then sell it at the second opportunity and don't buy a replacement, can you still buy homeowner's insurance if you don't already have it or retain homeowner's insurance if you do?
  • If you buy a house at the first opportunity, insure it, then sell it at the second opportunity and buy a replacement, do you have to re-buy homeowner's insurance at the new cost?
  • If you land on a space that says you must pay if you don't have homeowner's insurance, does it matter if you actually have a house?
My thinking is this. First off, the easy part - you can't buy homeowner's insurance if you don't have a home. Common sense aside, the house deed tells you how much homeowner's insurance costs, and you can't buy something that doesn't have a price. Second, while in this version you may buy a house, in previous versions you must buy one.

From these two points, I build the rest of my reasoning. There is a space on the board that says, "House flooded! Pay $40,000 if not insured." If we were intended to interpret this as, "Pay $40,000 if you do not have homeowner's insurance," then a player might want to buy homeowner's insurance even if they don't own a house in order to be protected. However, they can't do so. Therefore, they would be encouraged to buy a house they might not actually want just so that they can buy homeowner's insurance, which seems to diminish the value of the choice this version adds. I believe that any opportunity to make a meaningful choice in this game is desirable. Furthermore, rules as written, they could buy a house, get homeowner's insurance, then sell the house and retain the insurance, which is a bit bizarre. However, I prefer not to alter rules as written whenever possible.

Therefore, weighting a combination of "I want to give the players meaningful choices", "I want the game world to make sense, logically speaking", and "I don't want to introduce house rules unless I have to", my rulings are as follows:
  • You may only buy homeowner's insurance if you have a house. (As previously stated.)
  • If you sell your house, you may only retain your homeowner's insurance if you immediately buy a new one. (#2) It doesn't matter if insurance on the new house would be more or less expensive. (#3)
  • If you land on a space that would punish you for not having homeowner's insurance, you are also protected by not having a house. (#1)
If anyone would care to make an argument against any of these rulings, they may feel free to.

If there is a question block next to your name in my most recent turn order, you owe me an answer to a question. Coolguye, I'm looking especially at you.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 28, 2018

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

OH HEY WHILE I'M THINKING ABOUT IT

MAYBE SINCE DR. RADCLIFFE IS LITERALLY ONE SPACE AWAY FROM BUYING A HOUSE COOLGUYE WOULD LIKE TO PRELOAD WHICH HOUSE IF EITHER TO BUY AND WHETHER HE WANTS IT INSURED AS A REMINDER HE HAS $235,000 CASH ON HAND AND $125,000 IN LOANS IF HE WANTS TO KNOCK OFF SOME OF THOSE WHILE HE'S AT IT THOUGH I DON'T THINK THERE'S ANY REASON TO PAY OFF LOANS BEFORE THE END OF THE GAME THOUGH MAYBE SOMEONE CAN CORRECT ME ON THAT

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Coolguye spins a 2 (appropriately enough), moving to the 'buy a house' space and purchasing the Tudor house for $180,000. Then he spins again.

(Incidentally, I don't know what the black arrows mean; they're used sometimes when the direction you should go is unclear, but sometimes they're just there, and the rules are silent on their meaning.) While Jake Onions collects another $10,000, Dr. Radcliffe finds herself on the other side of hospital life. Tell us an amusing anecdote about her baby boy!

Bellmaker, it is now your turn. As a reminder, you must answer the question of how Jake McAllister feels about having inherited $10,000 before you can take it.

Turn order:

• Jake Onions (Lizard Wizard):

• Johnny Dee (Dinictus):

🏠 Tudor House.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Bellmaker spins a 3!

And promptly gets lost in the mountains, which will give Jake McAllister plenty of time to get his story straight on how. Next up is Jake Onions.

You know the drill by now: which house, if any? And do you insure it? Jake Onions has $240k and no debt. (And on an unrelated note, does anyone know why the question emote, and only the question emote, might stop animating for me?)

Turn order:

• Johnny Dee (Dinictus):

🏠 Tudor House.

Misses next turn.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lizard Wizard, please make your decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm poking Lizard Wizard to the thread, but for future reference, anyone have a suggestion for what to do if someone spaces out mid-turn like this? Just leave his turn pending?

• Locked thread