Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Considering the military competency demonstrated by Italy in this past century, I wouldn't be suprised if any fascist military resurgence would just end up with the entire peninsula being annexed into New Greater Croatia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Dreddout posted:

Considering the military competency demonstrated by Italy in this past century, I wouldn't be suprised if any fascist military resurgence would just end up with the entire peninsula being annexed into New Greater Croatia

gently caress no, we have enough of our own corrupt shits.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Saved by the illyrians yet again.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly in all seriousness I wouldn't be shocked if Italy got completely wrecked by a bunch of slavs

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Poland probably has the most competent army on the continent right now so

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Poland probably has the most competent army on the continent right now so

What about France

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Yeah France not only makes their own weapons and vehicles, but they actually use them in war

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm interested in the upcoming brazilian elections. plutonis will probably bump the south american thread in C-SPAM to talk about it, but it wouldn't hurt to make a dedicated thread

I'm gonna wait until June to make the thread since it's when the actual elections start and they decide if it's Lula or Haddad who will run. In any case I'm gonna vote for Boulos because I'm a contratian

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Mar 13, 2018

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

hackbunny posted:

Yeah France not only makes their own weapons and vehicles, but they actually use them in war

Yeah because colonial wars in Africa totally had them prepared for World War One

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

KomradeX posted:

Yeah because colonial wars in Africa totally had them prepared for World War One

Except in this analogy, the rest of Europe are the African colonies

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Dreddout posted:

Don't be so loving stupid. Bits would go to Slovenia too.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.politico.eu/article/italys-politicians-5star-movement-democratic-party-get-one-last-chance-to-strike-a-deal/

quote:

ROME — Italy’s political parties will next week be given one final chance to put aside their differences and form a government.

President Sergio Mattarella’s office said Thursday that he will meet the parties on Monday for a single day of talks, after acknowledging that the latest attempt to secure an alliance between the anti-establishment 5Star Movement and the center-left Democratic Party (PD) had failed.

The president’s office said Mattarella will check “if the parties have other ideas for a government majority,” as their positions have not changed since the inconclusive election of March 4.

The ballot left the parliament split between three main political blocs — the 5Stars as the largest single party, the right-leaning coalition headed by the League, and the PD.

If the parties can’t find a way to solve the problem on Monday, the president has only one realistic option: Force them to back a transitional government led by an institutional figure that would be given a limited mandate to accomplish key goals — such as the approval of the 2019 budget and a new electoral law aimed at avoiding future political deadlock — before the country goes back to the polls.

so probably another election

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

gently caress yeah technical government :regd08:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Love That Institutional Rule

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lmao that there's a possibility of a M5S/PD coalition because di maio refuses to put FI into his coalition. italian politics is like american politics, except it's a parliamentary system run by bigger babies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/998888139614773249

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh I'm glad this thread is alive
Anyways lol Italy
Ya'll about to blow up the world economy

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

tbf it seems like literally every politician in Europe has hosed with their academic credentials somehow

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

tbf it seems like literally every politician in Europe has hosed with their academic credentials somehow

in a year it will turn out that the only western head of state who actually graduated from college was donald trump

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shear Modulus posted:

in a year it will turn out that the only western head of state who actually graduated from college was donald trump

corbyn didn't and dropped out after a year of trade union studies lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I can't wait for euro crisis 2: Italian boogaloo

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Yeah I totally bet a a new law aimed at avoiding this in future written by unelected technocrats will be totally on the level and not at all anti-democratic EU led fuckery.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Still lolling at Italy

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lawman 0 posted:

Still lolling at Italy

If you need a more hearty lol, they don't even get to watch the azuri at the world cup to take their minds off the utter shambles of their government.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Still lolling at Italy

lmao

https://www.weeklystandard.com/christopher-caldwell/italys-deplorables-unite-against-europes-elites

quote:

In March, Italian voters decided they had more to fear from corruption than from incompetence. Despite the warnings of experts, they voted overwhelmingly for two parties that want Italy to reclaim its sovereignty from the overweening European Union. One of those parties, the League, is on the nationalist “right”; it has played only a small role on the national scene since it arose at the end of the Cold War. The other, the Five-Star Movement (M5S) is on the madcap “left”; it has never been in government at all.

There is nothing odd about Italians’ behavior. Americans similarly thumbed their noses at elite analysts when they elected Donald Trump, and Britons rejected the E.U. in a referendum the same year. What is unusual is how slow the E.U. was to recognize the threat.

The details of the policies that the League and M5S plan to enact leaked last week, and it is striking how much these juggernauts of right and left have been able to agree on: a renegotiation of the E.U. treaties, the write-off of part of Italy’s $2.7 trillion debt, a loosening of E.U.-monitored deficit requirements, an end to the diplomatic ostracism of Russia, a hard line against the hundreds of thousands of African illegal immigrants who have been pouring out of boats onto beaches across Italy, and the preparation of a currency instrument called the “mini-BOT,” which could replace the euro in a pinch.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Germany is going to roll into Italy again

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I have no idea what's happening

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MSM seems to be waking up to the fact that 5 star isn't left wing

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Of the many turds in that Weekly Standard article that was the smelliest

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

It's probably has more in common with Californian Ideology similar to SV weirdos who see the internet as magical cure.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

etalian posted:

It's probably has more in common with Californian Ideology similar to SV weirdos who see the internet as magical cure.

*cracks surface slightly swastikas and fasces comically spill out* oops all fascism!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

*cracks surface slightly swastikas and fasces comically spill out* oops all fascism!

it's basically a thin veneer of nerd 'the internet will solve everthing" thinking over right wing racism and fear of things like green energy.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Byolante posted:

If you need a more hearty lol, they don't even get to watch the azuri at the world cup to take their minds off the utter shambles of their government.

Our soccer team isn't called the azuri, but hell, same

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrong thred

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wow I'm shocked shocked that the nobody they picked to be the PM dosen't have a clue how to form a government

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Wow I'm shocked shocked that the nobody they picked to be the PM dosen't have a clue how to form a government

Trump should replace boring low energy Pence with Berlusconi

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

etalian posted:

Trump should replace boring low energy Pence with Berlusconi

Yeah, a crossover could really spice this season up.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Eh, they'll just use him to rubberstamp unpopular legislation while it lasts

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

so much like america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ETA until Mutti effortlessly bitchslaps Salvini and Di Maio on international TV?

• Locked thread