Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the funniest thing is that berlusconi, the ur-trump, is running as a moderating political figure against the neo-fascist forces he helped create

watching italy from afar is is cool because it's a preview of what the american political system is going to be like in ten years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is this a screenshot from robot chicken

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

yes and no

FI is currently polling slightly ahead of salvini's party, but the two have served in berlusconi's coalitions before and are friendly with one another. berlusconi has said that an fi-led coalition would only reduce eu payments rather than leave the eu altogether, which is salvini's position
lol gently caress

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hackbunny posted:

TL;DR but rushing in to post: pray for us
thanks for the informative posts. i have a question: i read that the PD-led government recently passed electoral reform that all but ensures coalition governments as a necessity to rule. that seems ridiculous in a country that's already notorious for having short-lived governments since the post-WW2 era. that same article mentioned that M5S has the highest approval ratings of the parties in the upcoming election, and if it weren't for the new system, they'd probably have an outright majority in parliament

did they pass this law explicitly to gently caress over M5S, or was there another reason for it?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

In the Archer episode "Lo Scandalo", the character Malory Archer mentions having been involved in Operation Gladio when younger. It is described by Lana Kane as "a crypto-fascist shitshow, starring Allen Dulles and a bunch of former Nazis."
cold war strategy in a nutshell

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Feb 16, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

As an aside, this sounds a lot like Brazil's recent past and probable future, with Bolsonaro as Berlusconi
Bolsonaro is more of a dyed-in-the-wool fascist than Berlusconi

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

I liked the new John Oliver bit
don't post it, please

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Bring back the Kingdom of Two Sicilies, the Papal State and balkanize North Italy

Troy Queef posted:

i just want to see a party that openly promises to expropriate Juventus FC
i'm down with both of these

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if nothing else, balkanize the north again. the disease is coming from there

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

I have some bad news for you about fascism stemming from the north

i've been curious about this for a while: how come Lazio is the preferred team for fascists when Roma is a literal creation of the fascist government?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

possible horsefucker Antonio Tajani
more info on this please. also your image isn't showing up so you'll need to rehost it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i learned that there's also a M5S mayor in Turin, is that going any better than it is in Rome?

MrWilderheap posted:

Who are the people who are into this five star thing? I'm trying to imagine the kind of people who it appeals to.. I guess in america there are some rich white people in the suburbs who are pro-environment while still being xenophobic and anti-vaccine but it still seems really bizarre to me. Though not as bizarre as Berlusconi's hosed up face
a few years back, there was a jacobin article about Adbusters that brought up the fact that they leaned pretty hard into the M5S

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i was gonna guess M5S for that quote. they used to be as critical of putin and russia when they started out, but they suspiciously stopped four or five years ago

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good god they're not even trying to hide it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

some takeaways from this live blog of the elections on politico:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hackbunny posted:

I don't think comparisons with other countries make sense. Case in point: M5S is the first national party

Speaking of the impact of Italian elections on the rest of the world, an article on Foreign Policy argues that it amounts to nothing. I present it without comment
my friend shared that with me and i don't have the heart to tell him that it's stupid because it uses "meritocracy" unironically

by the way, M5S looks like they might be walking back on their "no coalitions ever" pledge. from the politico live blog:

quote:

5STARS: NO ONE WILL GOVERN WITHOUT US

“Nobody will be able to govern without the 5Star Movement,” said Riccardo Fraccaro, a 5Star lawmaker, told the party faithful. “In the next few days we’ll be ready to talk to all the political forces that will want to, about what Italy needs.”

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

it's possible that m5s/ln could form a hypernormal coalition, since only 40% is necessary :|
that would suck tremendously. isn't the lega stuck with Forza Italia, though?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:ducksiren: PROJECTIONS :ducksiren:

lol there may actually be a LN/M5S coalition

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

apparently a M5S/LN coalition government has been considered to be a possibility for both parties since late January. things are going to get really cool

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

rudatron posted:

This election is important, because it's going to be reflected in a lot other countries in the EU, I think.
europe's been trending this way for a couple of years. at least france might have a left movement in its next elections, but in numerous countries there isn't one. hungary is too far gone, poland's reaching that point, austria's neo-nazi-ish party is pretty close to power, and there's no way the german grand coalition will work well enough to hold off the AfD

the world is going to be hosed in a few years and we may need another world war to get this poo poo out of our systems

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

weird how every country where the centre-left are unrepentant lovely neoliberals are paving the way for a populist right wing revival

weird
every country being "pretty much every country in the developed world"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Recently deceased comedian Paolo Villaggio already rang the warning bell back in the 70s: he worked as a corporate entertainer back then (an experience that inspired his legendary character, meek accountant Ugo Fantozzi), and he warned that communism was as important for office workers as it was for factory workers, if not more so, but it was utterly failing to be relevant to them
if only dan nainan had a fraction of the insight as this guy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

People look at me and wonder what tendency I am. Well my father was a Trot and my mother was a Stalinist so I can only get my ice picks in one country
lmao

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Oh yeah it's been well known for years. No, the real funny part about M5S is that they promised a "citizenship income" (a glorified unemployment check, modelled after the German system) and immediately after their "victory" (technically, they didn't win - the Lega-Forza Italia coalition won - although they are the single biggest party), some of their voters turned up at tax assistance centers demanding the forms to request it. They didn't take a "no" for an answer either, as many said that they'd escalate to city hall. How do you even begin to reach people so utterly naive and ignorant?
i give their supporters 5 stars for being stupid as hell
what the absolute gently caress is this?!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hackbunny posted:

The story might have been inflated by their enemies

It's a mystery. They were posted anonymously and the party distanced themselves from the campaign. I honestly can't tell if it's sincere (and possibly schizophrenic) or shitposting
it doesn't make a single bit of sense. what is a poster of a german boy loving an albanian boy (with a horribly photoshopped face to boot) in front of a bunch of chinese children trying to say from an italian politics standpoint? the only thing i can think of is that it's a troll

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

large adult son posted:

there is a fear among conservative people here (south/southeast europe) that kindergarten/elementary school children are being taught how to have gay sex or whatever so this is a reference to that plus racism (a class full of chinese kids!) and anti-EU feeling (germany and merkel are usually stand-ins for the whole thing) all mixed up into one
i'm still not sure how the albanian fits in

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

any upcoming elections interest my fellow cspammers? might make another thread soon
i'm interested in the upcoming brazilian elections. plutonis will probably bump the south american thread in C-SPAM to talk about it, but it wouldn't hurt to make a dedicated thread

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lmao that there's a possibility of a M5S/PD coalition because di maio refuses to put FI into his coalition. italian politics is like american politics, except it's a parliamentary system run by bigger babies

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

If you need a more hearty lol, they don't even get to watch the azuri at the world cup to take their minds off the utter shambles of their government.
so much like america

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is Italy's worst case scenario government, right?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tekz posted:

depends, are these guys implenenting austerity like the centrist eurocrats were gonna
they probably will end up doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's almost like right-wing populists are full of poo poo and never end up meaning what they say

• Locked thread