Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: that contract - having failed to reach an agreement on the contract, the writer should not have provided work, and Paizo should not have accepted any work offered. Not only for ethical reasons, but for copyright: Paizo's copyright claim on the published material is challengable if the author had no contract and wasn't paid. It's a huge litigation risk.

For anyone else who has been stiffed on work by a publisher: their claim on your work is based on the work made for hire portion of copyright law.

quote:

A work created by an independent contractor can be a
work made for hire only if (a) it falls within one of the nine
categories of works listed in part 2 above and (b) there is a
written agreement between parties specifying that the work
is a work made for hire

That written agreement has to exist in order for the contractor to claim the copyright from the contractee; moreover, if they fail to pay, that is a breach of contract, and the author can attempt to reclaim the copyright in court as part of the resolution of that contractual dispute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

But female IG are a step we can’t take.

I do notice that Sisters are very much in the adverts now.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Comstar posted:

I do notice that Sisters are very much in the adverts now.

Female IG (mostly) don't exist because the range hasn't been refreshed since the year 2000, not because they don't want to. Their project timelines are like 3-5 years long, stuff doesn't come out immediately. I fully expect we see mixed gender Guard units if and when they ever get updated.

Sisters are definitely very prominent right now - the launch video for 9th edition is basically all about the Sisters, the Marines show up at the end and they're way less of a focus - and also has female Guard in it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The far more egregious issue is the continued lack of female space marines. At least female guard exist in the fluff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The latest (chaos) guard sculpts from BSF had women, that new Catachan, and most of the prominent fluff includes women guard. FFG walked the Vostroyans' "first born son" thing, too.

We've also seen the Genestealer cult get a female Magus, launched to no girl-power fanfare or different stat line.

There still aren't female space marines, which is OK given that the central theme of the Emperor and his Primarchs is the catostrophic barfing of masculinity across the canvas of the universe.

Plus the neoliberal "More. Female. Concentration. Camp. Guards." talking point is beyond satisfied with the Sisters of Silence.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Nothing stopping Chaos doing Chaos Female Space Marines. Except...reasons.

I can imagine the sheer embarrassment and shame normal Space Marines would face to be beaten by female versions of themselves. Chaos is really shooting themselves in the foot by not taking advantage of it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

how do I sign up for the game gestapo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Corrode posted:

Female IG (mostly) don't exist because the range hasn't been refreshed since the year 2000, not because they don't want to. Their project timelines are like 3-5 years long, stuff doesn't come out immediately. I fully expect we see mixed gender Guard units if and when they ever get updated.

It would be neat if they did what they did with Stormcast, which was have FW release packs of female heads you could just pop on. Actually Sisters heads make for a pretty decent conversion. I've been giving my leftovers to a friend as she starts her Guard army.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

alg posted:

how do I sign up for the game gestapo
Was Mentzer one of the old guard who was a sexual harasser or merely a rightwing shithead?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Was Mentzer one of the old guard who was a sexual harasser or merely a rightwing shithead?

he harassed Jessica Price on FB Messenger

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Mentzer harassed Jessica Price online and was accused of harassing other people in person at Gary Con, leading him to being publicly banned, him then lying about it, and all his other poo poo (he has a history of harassing people in general and lying)

Dude's a shithead top to bottom.

PST fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 5, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

yes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Is there anyone from the old TSR days who hasn't revealed themselves to be a massive piece of poo poo?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't remember anything coming out about Dave Arneson but could always just be ignorant of something.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

FMguru posted:

Is there anyone from the old TSR days who hasn't revealed themselves to be a massive piece of poo poo?

Some went to Adkinson and told them not to hire x/y/z with one of those being strongly rumoured to be Mentzer (as the employees he was told not to hire)

SO maybe them, though i'm forgetting who that was off the top of my head but it's come up in the past.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Jenell Jaquays has been really great afaik, both from her game design work and her activism for trans rights

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think I've heard anything bad about Tim Kirk or James Ward, but I'm not too embedded in that stuff

moths
Aug 25, 2004

(American) Steve Jackson has some dumb grilling dad vibes and has some stink by association, but I don't think he's ever come out as awful.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

moths posted:

(American) Steve Jackson has some dumb grilling dad vibes and has some stink by association, but I don't think he's ever come out as awful.

He publicly dismissed the criticism of them partnering with (edit) Frog God lord games whose CEO was a known violent harasser. They got massive pushback from it and didn't care and continued the partnership.

PST fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 5, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PST posted:

He publicly dismissed the criticism of them partnering with troll lord games whose CEO was a known violent harasser. They got massive pushback from it and didn't care and continued the partnership.
Dude is also a capital-L Libertarian (although somewhat understandably, given the poo poo the federal government tried to pull on him).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Was it Troll Lord? I thought it was Frog God.

But yeah that's what I meant about association.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 22, 2020

PST
Jul 5, 2012

moths posted:

Doh, yes, I flipped them. I think it went beyond association given how he replied to the criticism, but no he wasn't doing the harassing himself. Just saying it's no big deal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I don't think Steve Jackson is like a shining pillar of decency or anything but he's not getting his kid hooked on cocaine or whatever.

He could be better but he could be so very much worse.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If Lou Zocchi turns out to be an escaped nazi I am through with this hobby.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

Troll Lord was the one where the designer for their main game (Castles & Crusades) got banned from rpg.net for saying that urbex was the modern dungeoneering and homeless people were the orcs

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't remember anything coming out about Dave Arneson but could always just be ignorant of something.

A friend of mine had dinner with him and said he was incredibly boring. And she's a big Star Wars geek. That's all I got.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FMguru posted:

Dude is also a capital-L Libertarian (although somewhat understandably, given the poo poo the federal government tried to pull on him).

whats this now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Jackson Games had their offices raided by the US Secret Service in the 90s over suspicion that GURPS Cyberpunk had something to do with early telecoms hacking

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jackson_Games,_Inc._v._United_States_Secret_Service

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
1) In the early 1990s, SJG decided to produce a Cyberpunk supplement for GURPS
2) They designated one of their employees, Loyd Blakenship, to write it
3) Loyd was chosen (among other reasons) because he was deeply tied into one of the big early hacker collectives (Legion of Doom) and knew his stuff. It would be the most "accurate" cyberpunk RPG book ever.
4) The Secret Service (looking to expand its mission and turf and, most importantly, funding) has been nosing around various hacker groups, looking for a high-profile "bust" to make them the go-to federal organization dealing with the emerging field of cyber-crime
5) They find out that an LoD member is writing a book (!) that is going to be published by an actual company (!!) about how to break into computers and take them over and steal their data (!!!).
5a) There is some argument about whether the SS 1) didn't understand it was a lets-pretend game book about a future where people plug cables into their brains or 2) they understood but they thought that was an irrelevant detail when it came to creating a big public fuss about HEROIC SECRET SERVICE AGENTS BUST COMPUTER CRIME KINGPINS DISTRIBUTING HACKER GUIDE
6) SJ wakes up one day to find his offices have been raided by the SS. They carried away all the computers and did a fair bit of damage in the process. This throws SJG into a deep financial crisis.
7) SJG sues the SS (!), has their day in court, and the Federal Judge throws out the SS's case, awards SJG damages, and roasts the SS from the bench for such a sloppy bullshit put-up job
8) The company manages (with a lot of support from fans and a lot of understanding from creditors) to make it through the crisis by the skin of its teeth.

The case was massively important for the early internet. It led directly to the creation of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. And you may have noticed that all big computer crime cases involve the FBI, not the Secret Service, as the primary agency.

Bruce Sterling wrote a (very good) book on the case, which is available free on Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/101

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jenell Jaquays has been really great afaik, both from her game design work and her activism for trans rights

She’s actually significantly better these days than she was back then, yeah. It’s a really impressive thing.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Comstar posted:

And Tony Cottrell has been employed for decades...

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

FMguru posted:

3) Loyd was chosen (among other reasons) because he was deeply tied into one of the big early hacker collectives (Legion of Doom) and knew his stuff. It would be the most "accurate" cyberpunk RPG book ever.
4) The Secret Service (looking to expand its mission and turf and, most importantly, funding) has been nosing around various hacker groups, looking for a high-profile "bust" to make them the go-to federal organization dealing with the emerging field of cyber-crime
5) They find out that an LoD member is writing a book (!) that is going to be published by an actual company (!!) about how to break into computers and take them over and steal their data (!!!).
5a) There is some argument about whether the SS 1) didn't understand it was a lets-pretend game book about a future where people plug cables into their brains or 2) they understood but they thought that was an irrelevant detail when it came to creating a big public fuss about HEROIC SECRET SERVICE AGENTS BUST COMPUTER CRIME KINGPINS DISTRIBUTING HACKER GUIDE
6) SJ wakes up one day to find his offices have been raided by the SS. They carried away all the computers and did a fair bit of damage in the process. This throws SJG into a deep financial crisis.
7) SJG sues the SS (!), has their day in court, and the Federal Judge throws out the SS's case, awards SJG damages, and roasts the SS from the bench for such a sloppy bullshit put-up job
8) The company manages (with a lot of support from fans and a lot of understanding from creditors) to make it through the crisis by the skin of its teeth.

The case was massively important for the early internet. It led directly to the creation of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. And you may have noticed that all big computer crime cases involve the FBI, not the Secret Service, as the primary agency.

Bruce Sterling wrote a (very good) book on the case, which is available free on Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/101

I never knew about the Blankenship/LoD connection, huh! That makes the boondoggle a little more comprehensible, though not less stupid. Thanks for posting.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

FMguru posted:

Blankenship was also, importantly:
1) The operator of a BBS that had been involved in some probably possibly illegal activity
2) The operator of the SJG BBS

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

FMguru posted:

Man, reading a book with such extensive pro-cop attitudes and language from a cyberpunk author is a real weird sensation, especially in the current environment.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's getting hard for me to keep up with these assholes, is there an up-to-date list somewhere?
We had a thread but it mostly became "the place where you go to call other people posting in the Let's Keep A List of Fascists In The Game Industry thread, fascists." I believe a simple repeat of the relevant data would be worthwhile but the thread might have been gassed?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It was a helpful resource that had to die because someone displayed insufficient outrage over Pete Buttigieg's wine cave appearance. (True)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 22, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

None, it was imported drama from the 2020 Democratic Primary thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

blackmongoose posted:

Man, reading a book with such extensive pro-cop attitudes and language from a cyberpunk author is a real weird sensation, especially in the current environment.

It's a shame but a lot of people are into cyberpunk purely for stylistic reasons and miss any of the social and political messages behind it. That is, they probably want to live in a society like that, instead of being horrified at the possibility of the world turning out like that.