Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Geo. Neal may be the shop's name, and also the name of the man who ran the shop. NL apparently did the very - British? - thing where shops were sometimes named like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsaGKqPZnGp_7N80hcHySGQ

Ran across a new channel doing historical food stuff, only a couple videos so far but pretty watchable.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

SubG posted:

Yeah pizza is one of those things like tacos or burritos where it was an absolute staple in some communities/regions before it broke out into broader mainstream. For pizza in America it was a familiar thing in most of the coastal urban centers before the Second World War (first in New York, then throughout New England, and then LA), but it wasn't until the late '50s that it really started to be a nationwide thing.

Most sources connect this to GIs serving in Italy (who are consistently the Uncle Who Works At Nintendo in 20th Century American culinary folklore), but this is about the time when a whole shitload of regional food trends were expanding, due to changes in transportation, refrigeration, demographics, the economy, and so on. Everything from bagels to the Caesar salad were becoming nationally known around the '50s, after both being well-known regionally since the start of the 20th Century.

Just to clarify - Caesar salad was invented in Tijuana by an Italian American immigrant, it’s not “Italian” then Americanized like Pizza was.

E: to add, French dressing as packaged in the US can either be a creamy neon orange (like a buffalo sauce color) or a more red-tomato-vinegar color, which can also be called “Catalina.” Catalina *should* be a more mild version, but I think it’s more evolved into “Catalina” being the vin version and “French” being the cream version. Catalina is delicious, on salad or grilled pork or pasta salad. Or a crudités dip.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 9, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
As an Australian, the concept of french dressing being a creamy dressing at all is very strange.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Creamy French was never something we ate in my family, but there’s a big portion of Americans that think it’s this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wish-Bone-Deluxe-French-Dressing-16-fl-oz-Bottle/43285685

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

: to add, French dressing as packaged in the US can either be a creamy neon orange (like a buffalo sauce color) or a more red-tomato-vinegar color, which can also be called “Catalina.” Catalina *should* be a more mild version, but I think it’s more evolved into “Catalina” being the vin version and “French” being the cream version. Catalina is delicious, on salad or grilled pork or pasta salad. Or a crudités dip.

I like to occasionally marinate cubed lamb in Catalina dressing, then skewer and grill it.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Creamy French was never something we ate in my family, but there’s a big portion of Americans that think it’s this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wish-Bone-Deluxe-French-Dressing-16-fl-oz-Bottle/43285685

Are you just goonishly griping about Americans having names for things, or that Wishbone isn't the best dressing, or what?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pham Nuwen posted:

I like to occasionally marinate cubed lamb in Catalina dressing, then skewer and grill it.

Are you just goonishly griping about Americans having names for things, or that Wishbone isn't the best dressing, or what?

In places that aren't the States (or Canada, almost certainly because of Kraft), French dressing does not mean the pictured sauce; it means a vinaigrette, usually with mustard in it. Personally I don't think it's 'goonishly griping' to point out that French is not a creamy dressing in other English-speaking areas and only North Americans think the dressing shown is French.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Just to clarify - Caesar salad was invented in Tijuana by an Italian American immigrant, it’s not “Italian” then Americanized like Pizza was.
It certainly rose to popularity from Caesar's in Tijuana, although there's some disagreement about the actual origins of the dish--the official version comes from Cardini's daughter Rosa, who says that Caesar invented the dish on 4 July 1924, but that version of events isn't recorded until decades after the fact and there are other claimants.

Anyway, my point was that it was known outside Tijuana (and San Diego), and had reached e.g. New York and Paris by the '40s. But it remained a bit posh and exotic until refrigeration and transportation made salad more accessible. Same with, for example, the Green Goddess, Cobb, and Waldorf salads, although none of them have become quite as commonplace as the Caesar.

Prism posted:

In places that aren't the States (or Canada, almost certainly because of Kraft), French dressing does not mean the pictured sauce; it means a vinaigrette, usually with mustard in it. Personally I don't think it's 'goonishly griping' to point out that French is not a creamy dressing in other English-speaking areas and only North Americans think the dressing shown is French.
`French Dressing' meant vinaigrette in the US as well, more or less until commercial production and distribution of salad dressings became a thing (in the mid 20th Century).

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

That lamb sounds lovely.

Nah, not being pedantic, just eating a lot of edibles and cooking to kill the time so I was trying to be specific. I say it because I was super confused when I first encountered the nuclear orange creamy version in the wild and the person that handed it to me while we were cooking was also very confused by my tomato-vin-paprika version.

Prism posted:

Yeah, I usually call that Dijon vinaigrette.

Pro tip: making the tomato-vin-paprika with some elements of a chasseur sauce, I add a bit of mushroom powder and fines herbes is quite good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Next week, I'm trying to get the ingredients for Windsor soup. This was a very popular and rich British brown soup that got its reputation destroyed by the use of very bad Windsor soup as a common British Restaurant meal during WW2 rationing and later dilution of the recipe. Here's the one I'm using:

quote:

2 tablespoons butter
1⁄4 lb stewing beef
1⁄4 lb lamb steak (or mutton if available)
4 cups good beef stock
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons flour
1 bouquet garni
salt and pepper
1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
1⁄2 cup cooked rice (optional)
1⁄4 cup madeira wine (optional)

Cut the lamb and beef into 1-inch cubes and roll in the flour.

Place the butter in a large saucepan over a low to medium heat. (It is important not to turn the heat up too high since the butter burns easily. We want it to go brown, but not black!) Fry the meat off for 3 minutes and then add the rest of the flour and fry for a minute longer until the butter/flour is a golden brown.

Now add the sliced vegetables and stir in the stock, Throw in the bouquet garni, partially cover the saucepan, and simmer for 2 hours.

Puree the soup before adding the cooked rice if using; serve the soup piping hot with assorted breads and rolls. Traditionally a tablespoon of Madeira would be stirred into the soup at the table.

I'm wondering about removing or replacing the chili powder.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 25, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Maybe swap it for paprika?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sloshing a bit of brown fortified wine into everything is a good idea, and that recipe looks pretty good.

....does the meat get pureed too?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sloshing a bit of brown fortified wine into everything is a good idea, and that recipe looks pretty good.

....does the meat get pureed too?

It appears so! The WW2 version, people have said was basically a watery brown gravy pretending to be soup.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Cool forums poster Suspect Bucket linked me to this, and it is a fine watch if you're into cooking history. Bonus if you're a library nerd like me and love seeing old cookbooks. (mah GAWD I want a copy of this book)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjbQMW7MU4c

(Don't read the YT summary, it apparently has jack poo poo to do with the video. IDK what they're trying to say, they just appear to be making GBS threads on someone completely unrelated to the video. :shrug:)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 26, 2020

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Bonus if you're a library nerd like me and love seeing old cookbooks. (mah GAWD I want a copy of this book)

If you're willing to add a UK address to amazon and switch to that temporarily (running some minor risk of amazon chiding you), you can get a kindle version for £3.99 (and probably can order a paperback when covid stops railing the UK and amazon uk can ship to the US again).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Cool forums poster Suspect Bucket linked me to this, and it is a fine watch if you're into cooking history. Bonus if you're a library nerd like me and love seeing old cookbooks. (mah GAWD I want a copy of this book)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjbQMW7MU4c

(Don't read the YT summary, it apparently has jack poo poo to do with the video. IDK what they're trying to say, they just appear to be making GBS threads on someone completely unrelated to the video. :shrug:)

Oh my gosh, they're talking mean about Clarissa Dickson Wright from Two Fat Ladies. I like her shows. She's a bit rough sometimes, but that's because she was a tough old conservative broad that got a thrill from poking bees nests.

Watch Clarissa and the King's Cookbook
https://youtu.be/FuvbtFOm01o

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 27, 2020

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Id have a real hard time convincing myself to puree that Windsor soup. Im sure its traditional and all that, but that recipe looks delicious as a stew. Also, chili powder is mostly paprika anyway. I dont know what a 1/4 teaspoon does outside of a touch of smokieness.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh my gosh, they're talking mean about Clarissa Dickson Wright from Two Fat Ladies. I like her shows. She's a bit rough sometimes, but that's because she was a tough old conservative broad that got a thrill from poking bees nests.

Can confirm that The King’s Cookbook is indeed an excellent watch. I’ve seen all the things Clarissa has done, and read her book too.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Suspect Bucket posted:

This was unexpected, but I suppose it’s only natural that she’d turn up referenced in this thread.

RL/SA crossovers are always weird (Clarissa was my godmother)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Camrath posted:

This was unexpected, but I suppose it’s only natural that she’d turn up referenced in this thread.

I had to read that like 3 times to believe it. What the actual gently caress!? That’s awesome! I cannot tell you how many hours I spent watching Two Fat Ladies back in the late 1990s on food network, and loving every minute of it.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

dino. posted:

I had to read that like 3 times to believe it. What the actual gently caress!? That’s awesome! I cannot tell you how many hours I spent watching Two Fat Ladies back in the late 1990s on food network, and loving every minute of it.

She was just the same off camera as on. Which is both a good and a bad thing..

Also flakier than a leper colony. Didn’t properly get to know her until I was in my 20s.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Camrath posted:

That's really neat! I've watched them enough that I feel like Jennifer and Clarissa are my old friends and it's nice to revisit them. I remember reading a few obits of both of them, and definitely got the impression that Clarissa was a bit of a clusterfuck from a difficult background. She seemed pretty rad though, and Jennifer must have been a riot to be around. They both seem like they gave no fucks and were gonna live their best lives etc.

I hadn't really thought about them in a historical cooking context, but of course half Clarissa's recipes are from Robert May or some old cookbook. I've actually cooked a good many recipes off the show and all have been good. Sometimes their food seems gross at first glance, at least to a modern american palate, but it's all turned out well (though I haven't made Clarissa's mitton of 7 kinds of pork). Jennifer's peas with lettuce hearts and herbs cream and vermouth is outstanding and has converted many friends to the 'cooked lettuce is good' camp.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1261344858809102337?s=20

google "artichoke mafia" for a wild ride.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Camrath posted:

She was just the same off camera as on. Which is both a good and a bad thing..

Also flakier than a leper colony. Didn’t properly get to know her until I was in my 20s.

That's nuts. You're like, minor cooking royalty. She did seem like she'd be tough to know, or be around for extended periods of time. If you have any fun stories, I'd love to hear them, but I wont pry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244467956748189696

Thread details the oven process.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

he clearly states in the very tweet you posted that it's a lack of oven process :colbert:

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
Unless he irradiated the flour, that ain't Egyptian yeast...

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's nuts. You're like, minor cooking royalty. She did seem like she'd be tough to know, or be around for extended periods of time. If you have any fun stories, I'd love to hear them, but I wont pry.

Not really got many fun stories- I mean, we hung out quite a few times once we reconnected (she was also the rector of my university), and seemed to connect well but she was always flighty.

She was a trainee and newly qualified barrister with my mum, back before her alcoholism really kicked into high gear. In the late 70s she ended up living with my folks for a bit after burning basically all her bridges elsewhere- she used to credit them with saving her life by giving her refuge, and I have a lovely poem she wrote to them tucked away in an album somewhere.

She was a very very ‘big’ personality, with equally huge demons chasing her. And tbh, from hearing her talk about her father it’s not really surprising she ended up hiding in a bottle for so long. I’m just glad that she seemed to find happiness and success in the last couple of decades of her life.

Sorry, this has turned into a real downer all of a sudden.

When we reconnected in my early 20s we were kicking around an idea for a pilot about ghost hunting (she, and I are/were massively interested in the paranormal and ghosts in particular, and tbh my happiest memories of her were us sitting in a pub in Aberdeen swapping ghost stories over enormous plates of steak and chips). Do sometimes wonder what might have been if we’d made that happen, but eh!

Camrath fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 25, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Piss Meridian posted:

Does the yeast on the flour take over the starter so quickly that the starter is effectively irrelevant?

edit: he also did irradiate the flour for the starter so maybe he did it for the bread too.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 25, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In 2 hours, we see if the Windsor Soup comes out nice!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The answer is “Yes, absolutely.” I don’t have the equipment to puree it but there’s no need. The Madeira especially helps to create a very richly flavored broth, and the use of grass-fed beef gives an even greater depth of flavor. It shows just what British cooks could do before the destruction of rationing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

chitoryu12 posted:

The answer is “Yes, absolutely.” I don’t have the equipment to puree it but there’s no need. The Madeira especially helps to create a very richly flavored broth, and the use of grass-fed beef gives an even greater depth of flavor. It shows just what British cooks could do before the destruction of rationing.

Looks great! The liberal use of sherry/madeira/brown fortified wine in cooking has fallen off a ton since the 60's/70's. In older recipes it is everywhere (local junior league cookbook casserole? throw some sherry in there) but I don't see it used much these days and it adds such a wonderful, complex flavor.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Would it be ok to substitute sherry instead of Madeira in that Windsor soup recipe? I wanna try it but the latter is impossible to get here without ordering an expensive bottle online, but Sherry I can pick up in my local bottle shop for cheap.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I like this site for substitution ideas:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Aperitif.html

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I like this site for substitution ideas:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Aperitif.html

thanks

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

Would it be ok to substitute sherry instead of Madeira in that Windsor soup recipe? I wanna try it but the latter is impossible to get here without ordering an expensive bottle online, but Sherry I can pick up in my local bottle shop for cheap.

If you follow the historical cooking rules of "substitutions should be what would have been reasonably available at the time", sherry or port should be viable. I would just use an inexpensive dry sherry or ruby port rather than anything particularly expensive that should be reserved for sipping.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Piss Meridian posted:

I bet he didn't even source the grain directly from the Pyramids.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had about a Tupperware container left of soup that I refrigerated and just reheated for dinner. I can say with certainty that the Madeira stirred into the bowl at serving is absolutely the key to this soup. Even after a day for the flavors to meld together in the fridge, the depth of flavor is nothing compared to what there was last night. Do not skip it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
We learn about how shady Hannah Glasse was, and also how to make this dessert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQksGGtDB2w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I made these and they loving rocked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tVF_tPZH6U