Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Also what is rue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I've been enjoying this thread since it was started, and I always like experimenting with new flavors. I'll take you up on that rue, if you don't mind.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

College Slice

Lawman 0 posted:

Also what is rue?

It's an evergreen with a pretty strong flavor, iirc. I've never eaten it but have been curious.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

It's bitter but in a... nice way?

It's been a long time since I had it but my brain associates it very loosely with cilantro?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Pillbug

I PMed ya both; I've used the herb fresh but not dried, so this will be a neat experiment for the thread, haha!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

My favorite of his are all the "this is technically food, it has calories and if you eat it you won't die of starvation" videos.

It also made me realize how hard it is to find suet that isn't meant for birds.

I just bought 3 kilos of suet, as in the real kidney fat stuff, 5.50 euros a kilo. Took them some asking around but they found a source. I am fortunate to have a good butchers shop out here in the sticks. I still need to wait until June before I can pick it up though.

Didn't they used to fry french fries in this stuff in McD up until the 80s? Or was that just ordinary beef fat? Either way it's something I wanna try. I am also thinking suet might be good for frying donuts and other things.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

sprinkles

His Divine Shadow posted:

I just bought 3 kilos of suet, as in the real kidney fat stuff, 5.50 euros a kilo. Took them some asking around but they found a source. I am fortunate to have a good butchers shop out here in the sticks. I still need to wait until June before I can pick it up though.

Didn't they used to fry french fries in this stuff in McD up until the 80s? Or was that just ordinary beef fat? Either way it's something I wanna try. I am also thinking suet might be good for frying donuts and other things.

They used beef tallow at McDonald's, and it owned.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

College Slice

A whole world of British Suet Puddings awaits you!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Randaconda posted:

They used beef tallow at McDonald's, and it owned.

What's the difference between suet and tallow? It's kinda confusing, some sources I've read say beef tallow is suet that's been rendered. Which is what I was planning todo with it so it'll have a long shelf life.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

What's the difference between suet and tallow? It's kinda confusing, some sources I've read say beef tallow is suet that's been rendered. Which is what I was planning todo with it so it'll have a long shelf life.

Suet is specifically fat from around the loins and kidneys of sheep or cows, while tallow is rendered fat in general. Tallow is shelf stable, suet requires refrigeration long-term.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Suet is very good for oven roasted vegetables for stock.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Liquid Communism posted:

Suet is specifically fat from around the loins and kidneys of sheep or cows, while tallow is rendered fat in general. Tallow is shelf stable, suet requires refrigeration long-term.

Does rendered suet have a particular name to distinguish it?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Does rendered suet have a particular name to distinguish it?
Considering this is described as tallow rendered from suet, I would assume not.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

suet requires refrigeration long-term.

No? Not in the UK anyway -

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-...ducts/265612930

Good for dumplings in stew.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Jas Townsend has a video on preparing beef suet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

Considering this is described as tallow rendered from suet, I would assume not.

Not that I'm aware of, anyway, because it doesn't really have any distinctive properties from other tallow once rendered.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The widely available suet here in the UK is shredded, dehydrated and mixed with flour, shelf stable and easy to weigh.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

This historian I know has a cool cooking channel making old Dutch Golden Age recipes from the 1700's.
The first episode is about pies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdyhRGwHN4Y

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

For the thread's consideration, a "relief soup" from the Irish potato famine:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I would never shop at Costco. The paper towels won't fit into my sports car!

To Soyer's credit, his soup was pretty standard fare for invalids at the time. The big deal was that he was the first guy to really set up a "soup kitchen" operation for those in need.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

On the other hand, the population still hasn't reached pre-famine levels so...

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

It's a horrible name for anything really but especially a shirt.

A quarter pound of meat in two gallons of water? Mm mm! Reminds me of one of my favorite Peanuts strips:

https://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/2013/04/03

Out of curiosity, what book is that from? As someone whose job every Sunday is to make 75 pounds of roasted potatoes, the header "HISTORY AND SOCIAL INFLUENCE OF THE POTATO" is cracking me up right now. Is that the book title, or just the chapter title?

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

A quarter pound of meat in two gallons of water? Mm mm! Reminds me of one of my favorite Peanuts strips:

I knew which one this was before I even clicked on it. My all time favorite.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Out of curiosity, what book is that from? As someone whose job every Sunday is to make 75 pounds of roasted potatoes, the header "HISTORY AND SOCIAL INFLUENCE OF THE POTATO" is cracking me up right now. Is that the book title, or just the chapter title?

Well, there is a book by that title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The book title, author is Redcliffe N. Salaman. I read the entire thing a couple years ago over the summer, IIRC the first chapters are somewhat dry because they mainly cover taxonomic stuff and archeological stuff in South America, but the rest of it is a history of how potatoes arrived in Europe and spread throughout the English Isles, and how Ireland ended up with a monoculture crop and so on. Somewhat dated (originally published in 1949, which is the copy my local library had) and it seemed like the rest of Europe was barely mentioned, but I found it interesting and I certainly learned a lot about potatoes.

«3 »