Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Blah Blah Blah
Look at me
I'm the Goddamn Batman
Blah Blah Blah

RoboRodent posted:

I've been fascinated by cicadas since I first learned of them, but I've never seen one. Good to know that at least one person who lives with cicadas thinks they're neat.

My experience with bugs as food is that they're crunchy but without a lot of flavour themselves. I've had crickets that were toasted as a snack food, but they don't taste of much other than the flavoured powder on them and the legs and antennae are a bit off-putting. Mealworms are meant to be better? I know my sister was going to make a stir fry using pet store mealworms but I never heard how that turned out.

Cicadas are kind of terrifying when you are 5 and swarmed by them (Thanks Ohio). I want to say a few years ago some outfit in Chicago tried to market a seasonal ice cream that contained cicadas. I don't think it was a big seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Avant de chanter
Ma vie, de fair' des
Harangues
Dans ma gueul' de bois
J'ai tourne sept fois
Ma langue
J'suis issu de gens
Qui etaient pas du gen-
re sobre
On conte que j'eus
La tetee au jus
D'octobre...

Cicadas singing in my oak trees now. I love the sound, but I donít think I could ever eat them (or any other arthropod that doesnít live underwater, honestly).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Its my understanding that if you are allergic to shellfish you are allergic to most insects. I have not heard of anybody having a specfic reaction to just scorpions or cicadas. That one dude who died a while back in a cockroach eating contest because his throat swelled up had a shellfish allergy.

Edit: Apparently cockroach allergy is a thing for people with asthma.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at Aug 28, 2018 around 00:29

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.

CzarChasm posted:

Cicadas are kind of terrifying when you are 5 and swarmed by them (Thanks Ohio). I want to say a few years ago some outfit in Chicago tried to market a seasonal ice cream that contained cicadas. I don't think it was a big seller.

It was Sparky's in Columbia, MO. They only did one batch before the health inspector had a word with them, and I didn't get to try any.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

Its my understanding that if you are allergic to shellfish you are allergic to most insects. I have not heard of anybody having a specfic reaction to just scorpions or cicadas. That one dude who died a while back in a cockroach eating contest because his throat swelled up had a shellfish allergy.

Edit: Apparently cockroach allergy is a thing for people with asthma.

Yeah that's asthma too.
I am a lazy goon who never does anything to trigger asthma and found out I had it because I almost died when the neighbours decided to bomb their massive roach infestation into the rest of the building and I had to stay at friends because I couldn't breathe at all.
But that was maybe partially due to other respiratory problems from the building having a big ol mould problem idk

... i feel like living in a hovel is fairly thread appropriate tho.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

It's a horrible name for anything really but especially a shirt.

RoboRodent posted:

I've been fascinated by cicadas since I first learned of them, but I've never seen one. Good to know that at least one person who lives with cicadas thinks they're neat.

They're dying off right now in my area, I find them on the sidewalks all the time. I collect them and use them for my weird-rear end artwork, and just picked up a nice one yesterday. They don't really rot (I have some art featuring them that's several years old, and they still look fresh, even without clearcoat), so if you'd like to see one in person I'd be happy to mail one to a fellow cicada fan, if you live in the US.

(This may be the weirdest derail SA has ever seen.)

Today's fun fact is not so much about actual historic cooking, but I needed to learn the origin of this term, and thought I'd share.

I work in a kitchen, and as my boss and I were pulling meat off whole roasted chickens, she asked if I wanted the pope's nose to snack on. "The WHAT?" I asked. It's the meat that comes from the chicken's tail (or a turkey, or any fowl, apparently). It's fatty and delicious, in part because it comes from where poultry has oil glands to promote feather-preening. Turns out the name comes from a Protestant joke of the 1600's comparing the shape of the current pope's nose to a chicken rump.

Essentially boils down to a 17th century version of:
Guess what?
Chicken butt.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Pillbug

Huh!

It's also called the preen. Birds! Even their sebaceous glands are delicious.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I work in a kitchen, and as my boss and I were pulling meat off whole roasted chickens, she asked if I wanted the pope's nose to snack on. "The WHAT?" I asked. It's the meat that comes from the chicken's tail (or a turkey, or any fowl, apparently). It's fatty and delicious, in part because it comes from where poultry has oil glands to promote feather-preening. Turns out the name comes from a Protestant joke of the 1600's comparing the shape of the current pope's nose to a chicken rump.
I've always heard it referred to as the "parson's nose".

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Guilt is an outmoded concept, the refuge of those who have yet to embrace the fact that their path is the correct one.

Yeah I hadnít heard of it till I found it on yakitori menus in Japan. Itís good!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And it has a cute name over there, too: bonjiri. Though I see at least one yakitori chain officially calls it "triangle" instead. What a spoilsport.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Avant de chanter
Ma vie, de fair' des
Harangues
Dans ma gueul' de bois
J'ai tourne sept fois
Ma langue
J'suis issu de gens
Qui etaient pas du gen-
re sobre
On conte que j'eus
La tetee au jus
D'octobre...

Pope's nose and oysters are the first things to get poached (by me) when I pull a roast chicken out of the oven.

Oysters are called "sot l'y laisse" in French..."the dummy leaves them there"

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

JacquelineDempsey posted:

They're dying off right now in my area, I find them on the sidewalks all the time. I collect them and use them for my weird-rear end artwork, and just picked up a nice one yesterday. They don't really rot (I have some art featuring them that's several years old, and they still look fresh, even without clearcoat), so if you'd like to see one in person I'd be happy to mail one to a fellow cicada fan, if you live in the US.

(This may be the weirdest derail SA has ever seen.)

My boyfriend loves both cicadas and weird-rear end artwork and we just moved into a place with a lot of wall space and it needs filling so at the very least Iíd love a cicada but possibly artwork too if thatís possible.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

We can't stop here! This is cat country!

Iíve decided that in November (once Iím home from a series of long trips) Iím going to start homebrewing and work up to recreating Sumerian beer from bappir bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Pillbug

Homebrewing is great! I make makgeolli, sihkye, sodas, and meads.

A pal shared this exciting resource this morning:

https://egyptianmedievalcookbook.wordpress.com/recipes/

An English translation of a 14th century cookbook from Cairo!

«4 »