Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

My favorite of his are all the "this is technically food, it has calories and if you eat it you won't die of starvation" videos.

It also made me realize how hard it is to find suet that isn't meant for birds.

I just bought 3 kilos of suet, as in the real kidney fat stuff, 5.50 euros a kilo. Took them some asking around but they found a source. I am fortunate to have a good butchers shop out here in the sticks. I still need to wait until June before I can pick it up though.

Didn't they used to fry french fries in this stuff in McD up until the 80s? Or was that just ordinary beef fat? Either way it's something I wanna try. I am also thinking suet might be good for frying donuts and other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Randaconda posted:

They used beef tallow at McDonald's, and it owned.

What's the difference between suet and tallow? It's kinda confusing, some sources I've read say beef tallow is suet that's been rendered. Which is what I was planning todo with it so it'll have a long shelf life.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Liquid Communism posted:

Suet is specifically fat from around the loins and kidneys of sheep or cows, while tallow is rendered fat in general. Tallow is shelf stable, suet requires refrigeration long-term.

Does rendered suet have a particular name to distinguish it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It was basically the coffee people drank here during WW2 in finland and sweden as well, because they couldn't get real coffee. I would like to try chicory coffee some day.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 21, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I made these and they loving rocked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tVF_tPZH6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It wasn't a problem I found, just add lots of butter I made like 6 of them in one go. I mostly kept it at setting 7 (of 10) on my induction top in a cast iron skillet, sometimes I dropped to 6, so around medium-high-ish I guess. They aren't very thick and when you do the finger pressing thing they get flatter, it's like a milder form of beating them with a meat hammer.