Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Love the look of them. I'd have thought that they'd be more likely to be smoked to preserve than a fresh sausage. But my knowledge of cured sausage stops at eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
That radical bean pie

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is an extremely detailed version of a colonial era recipe. Usually you don't get even this much as far as measurement. You've gotta improvise.

Is that the Hannah Glasse recipe?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

SubG posted:

In addition to the Welsh, the rabbit was sometimes attributed to the Scotch, perhaps because of the stereotype of Scotch thrift.

That all being said: has Welsh rabbit become obscure enough to need explanation?

I did wonder if the Scottish attribution (Scotch is whiskey or food, a product, not people. Don't confuse them. It irks.) was a confusion between the Rabbit and a Scotch Woodcock. But checking the ye olde Hannah Glasse book, the Scottish and Welsh versions are very similar: Luckily Wikipedia quotes them so I don't have to type stuff:

quote:

To make a Scotch rabbit, toast the bread very nicely on both sides, butter it, cut a slice of cheese about as big as the bread, toast it on both sides, and lay it on the bread.

To make a Welsh rabbit, toast the bread on both sides, then toast the cheese on one side, lay it on the toast, and with a hot iron brown the other side. You may rub it over with mustard.

To make an English rabbit, toast the bread brown on both sides, lay it in a plate before the fire, pour a glass of red wine over it, and let it soak the wine up. Then cut some cheese very thin and lay it very thick over the bread, put it in a tin oven before the fire, and it will be toasted and browned presently. Serve it always hot.

Or do it thus. Toast the bread and soak it in the wine, set it before the fire, rub butter over the bottom of a plate, lay the cheese on, pour in two or three spoonfuls of white wine, cover it with another plate, set it over a chafing-dish of hot coals for two or three minutes, then stir it till it is done and well mixed. You may stir in a little mustard; when it enough lays it on the bread, just brown it with a hot shovel.

Wiki also claims the Scotch Woodcock is named in a similar fashion to Welsh Rabbit.

It's a silly nationalistic jokey name to be sure,

Cavenagh fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 27, 2019