Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

RoboRodent posted:

I've been fascinated by cicadas since I first learned of them, but I've never seen one. Good to know that at least one person who lives with cicadas thinks they're neat.

My experience with bugs as food is that they're crunchy but without a lot of flavour themselves. I've had crickets that were toasted as a snack food, but they don't taste of much other than the flavoured powder on them and the legs and antennae are a bit off-putting. Mealworms are meant to be better? I know my sister was going to make a stir fry using pet store mealworms but I never heard how that turned out.

Cicadas are kind of terrifying when you are 5 and swarmed by them (Thanks Ohio). I want to say a few years ago some outfit in Chicago tried to market a seasonal ice cream that contained cicadas. I don't think it was a big seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I got some cask-conditioned “real ale” for the first time: Mayflower Porter served at the Blackmoore Kitchen & Bar in Charlestown, MA, served in a way that basically makes it a duplicate of 1870s working class Englishman’s beer.

The beer is entered into the cask unpasteurized and unfiltered. The yeast is settled with something like isinglass so it’s at the bottom of the keg and the beer is pumped out with a hand pump. No CO2 or nitrogen, just mild natural carbonation from the secondary fermentation in the cask.

You need to be very careful with primitive serving like this. It goes bad within a week or two and starts losing flavor after just 48 hours, and it needs to be served around 55 degrees Fahrenheit for optimum flavor. Every cask is slightly different from the last and it’s served “warm” and nearly flat, which makes it the polar opposite of cold, fizzy lagers like most people drink today.

But was it any good?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I made that milk punch and it's amazing! I seriously recommend that you try it because it tastes simply like nothing else. The Batavia arrack, port, black tea, and creamy texture of the whey proteins all combine into something entirely unlike what you may be expecting, and the clarity of the liquid almost makes you think you're about to get some kind of juice before the flavor and texture hits you.

I used coffee filters over a mesh strainer because I didn't wait long enough before straining, so the curds hadn't separated sufficiently. It greatly reduced the volume but worked well for getting a pure, creamy liquid.

I've seen a few cocktails that start with a milk punch like this and it sounds like just the sort of thing I want to try. Where did you even get Batavia Arrack from?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I like how a lot of the quantities of ingredients are "some".

And that's great for something like a stew where exact quantities are not required.

Also, is that last line of the carp recipe indicating that you would serve this alongside smaller fried carp? ("...then put into your dish with the sliced lemon and the spawn of your fish fried")