Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

1) that is dope as hell and awesome!

2) as to what to do with the wine, maybe sauté some shallots and reduce it with that and mix it with butter? That's basically a beurre de marchand du vin already and that's a pretty good thing to have in the fridge. Goes great on steak and veggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I love punch. Isn't it supposed to have been introduced to the world by India via England?

Also, I heard "punch" is a bastardization of the Hindu word for "five" because the original recipe has five ingredients.

Am I right thinking these things or have I been misinformed?

https://www.etymonline.com/word/punch

Scroll down.

Seems pretty contentious.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Never heard of that, but it sounds delicious. When's it from?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Huh. That's not that old. I have family recipes way older than that so it's weird that hasn't come up.

Also it's pretty salient, but just in case to anyone wondering, the title means "Practical Cookbook".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I was assuming the umlaut got lost somewhere in the journey to the thread lol.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Well I feel like a drunk.

I could polish that off with a meal and ask for thirds.

Or no meal.

I should probably talk to my therapist.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sorry, I'm just thinking this ends in some kind of Sunday day-drinking GWS discord at some point.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Archaeology conferences will literally drink all the bars in and around the hotel/conference center dry.

This has happened more than once and is something of a point of pride.

Linguistics, but same.

We did it in Manhattan once which I'm still impressed by.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

When I was building houses in the summer, I was a lot more amenable to getting up as early as possible so I could end work after the hottest part of the day. And if you have to mow your lawn without podcasts and weed, I guess rum is probably the next best thing.

Porque no los tres?

I have been cutting my parents' firewood for the last like 20 years since I was old enough to hold an axe without cutting off my foot, and it's always in the absolute hottest part of the Summer so I get up at like 5AM to have had some coffee by the time it's light enough to see by.

And I can tell you there is nothing sweeter than having like a cider or a beer shandy by around 10:30 after hours of swinging an axe and holding a chainsaw for several hours. Every Summer I can see who in the neighborhood is cool because half of them look at me like I'm some kind disgusting monster, and the other half are clearly thinking "O this guy has a layer of sweat and sawdust all over him and there's a cord of fresh firewood sitting there ; these are probably related and the dude earned it".

Screw you Kathy from down the street, yeah I'm gonna have a mild alcoholic beverage and sit on the porch for a bit. We don't all just buy pre-cut firewood. (I'm not bitter. What are you saying.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Your neighbors might be glaring at you because you were running a chainsaw at 6 AM

O I hold off on using that until later in the day, since I'm not a monster and the axe/splitting maul parts are the bits that suck the most in the heat. Like I try for nothing earlier than 9AM on a weekday. Also this is pretty rural so our neighbors are pretty far away. Plus the the ones glaring don't give a poo poo about mowing a lawn at 7AM on a Saturday so I have minimal pity.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

I like how a lot of the quantities of ingredients are "some".

And that's great for something like a stew where exact quantities are not required.

Also, is that last line of the carp recipe indicating that you would serve this alongside smaller fried carp? ("...then put into your dish with the sliced lemon and the spawn of your fish fried")

Fair criticism, but when I started learning to cook as a kid my mom basically all but slapped measurements out of my hand because she wanted me to learn to do it by eye (when not baking or whatever). Or like my Oma would have measurements like "cut onions until you don't feel like cutting onions anymore and want a cigarette".

And it sucked and I made a lot of absolute garbage when I was like a teenager, but now I'm older and can do most measurements by hand/tummy feels. How much paprika? I don't know, that much that I just put in. With the way a lot of Old World cooks used to work I assume they had a similar view. gently caress it, I know what I'm doing. (Yes I know this puts me in opposition to my beloved Saint Kenji but I can't magically change my upbringing.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you cook from measurements enough, you'll get the same feel for how much to add without the years of making garbage first because you've just been guessing how much salt to add. Recipe calls for 1 tsp of cumin, measure it out, then dump it into your palm to get an idea, then toss it in the pot and see what it looks like in there. Now you haven't hosed up tonight's dish, and if you do it a couple more times maybe you'll start to get a feel for it. I can't see how this method would be any slower/worse than dialing in over the course of many ruined meals where you just tossed in an arbitrary quantity of poo poo, half a dozen independent variables with each iteration.

"I know what I'm doing," I declare, "Through trial and error I've discovered how much oil needs to go in a 2011 Ford Focus. Yes, this is my seventh engine, why do you ask?"

O I am 100% not saying this is good teaching. Just saying it’s a way that exists.

My kids are getting taught with actual measurements cause that was hell.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

This has worked out great for me but poorly for my fiancé

Date better.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I mentioned it upthread but how my Oma taught me to cook in like everything and she said, "Schneid die Knloblauch und Zwiebeln ab bis man braucht ein Zigarette". (Chop the garlic and onions until you need a cigarette.)

I was like 8. She was the best.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Metaline posted:

Townsends isn’t weird! :colbert:

O hell yes he is. He's way, way to clean-cut and happy and nice. That man has clearly killed dozens.

Don't get me wrong, I love his videos, but those are clearly the eyes of a serial murderer. Mr. Rogers would look at that dude and know he's hiding something under that affable demeanor.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

...and make meat-pies from the corpses.

(Everyone watch his channel. Both for the great content and to know what he looks like when he comes for you.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If you want to know an etymology for an English word just google "[word] etymology".

https://www.etymonline.com/word/ketchup

We already do this for you. There is no reason to resort to lovely youtube videos.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SubG posted:

I guess you're technically correct in the sense that googling [word] etymology will get you an etymology for a word. But holy hell there are a lot of bogus etymological arguments out there and even more bogus food history and google page ranks are a terrible way of differentiating good scholarship from bad.

Etymonline is literally the best source for all etymologies in the world and how well curated it is for English is a unique gift that is rare and should be enjoyed. I don't actually work with English but I wish I had such a robust resource in the languages I do work with.

It's literally more trustworthy than the OED, which is the next-best source.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SubG posted:

[citation needed]

Like, literally. The actual etymological portion of the entry for ketchup you linked lacks any citations at all for usage. This appears to be a common defect in etymologies offered by etymonline.

But whatever. I wasn't trying to cast aspersions on etymonline, I was suggesting that just randomly googling word etymologies is not a reliable method of obtaining good references.

Etymonline doesn't have citations cause it's not wikipedia and it's managed by actual researchers instead of randos. The citations are internal and managed by people who actually know what they're doing instead of being crowd-sourced. (I know this because I'm one of them.)

And I was explaining how there are better ways to look up an etymology than citing loving garbage youtube videos. No, it's not perfect but it's the best you got unless you feel like spending 10+ years of your life learning how to linguist.

I think the catsup vs ketchup thing might also have something to do with contrastive phonology from Hakka vs. Malay but I have to do more work to see if that's true.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SubG posted:

The historical cooking thread seems like an odd place to make the argument that you shouldn't care about citations in a discussion about the origin of a food term.

If you want to make the argument that etymonline should show their citations that could be a thing, and one I agree with and have argued with them about.

It has absolutely nothing to do with their quality. I'm telling you as a person who works in this field that it is the gold standard. Could it be better? Yes and we're working on it. But there isn't a better resource for etymologies of the English language and all other languages are would die for such an available way to look up etymologies.

If you want to hit me up with your preferred source of etymologies that's superior, god speed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Having no citations inherently lowers the quality of any academic resource.

Personal notes on where things are sourced from is not the same thing as citing it.

It has citations just not all of them are out-wardly facing. Yes this a problem that I have argued against repeatedly.

Despite its flaws it is still, sadly, the best source on etymologies that currently exists.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yes, agreed. It's been a point of internal debate forever.

If you have a better source I'd love to hear it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

ulmont posted:

Short version is both come from the same Latin root through French and coexisted for hundreds of years before English speaking society collectively if slowly decided receipt was to signify transfer of goods / money and recipe was for cooking and similar. Link here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/recipe-vs-receipt-usage-word-history

What? No. Don't use Merriam-Webster as a source they're poo poo.

It goes back way farther than that and even school boy Latin shows that. https://www.etymonline.com/word/recipe vs. https://www.etymonline.com/word/receipt

Orthographically there might have been some confusion in sources, but the split seems to be strong long before Early Modern English.

They're not connected words except for being from the same Latin conjugation.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I really want to start that CYOA now. Especially since I'm broke and feeding myself on random stuff from the food bank, so that's really my life right now:

"You have a pound of black beans, a can of tomatoes, some squishy green peppers, a bag of rice, and some really stale spinach tortillas.

Turn to page 23 if you make ghetto-rear end stuffed peppers.

Turn to page 67 if you make burritos that can only be saved by copious amounts of hot sauce.

Turn to page 132 if you make a lame tortilla-bean soup."

Finally a goon project I can believe in.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O wow people didn't spell regularly prior to standard spelling.

I'm shocked. Shocked I say.

It's almost like you'd have to study these things to figure them out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ah yes because you don't believe in my citations. I forgot.

Hey here's a fun game, what's a half decent etymological resource that is entirely outward facing with its citations that isn't loving wiktionary or something equally broken?

I'll wait.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The concepts of words and their spellings are distinct, jesus.

Xiahou Dun posted:

O wow people didn't spell regularly prior to standard spelling.

I'm shocked. Shocked I say.

It's almost like you'd have to study these things to figure them out.

It's almost like people go to school to deal with these ambiguities and spend years of study. If only there was a whole discipline dedicated to learning about this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I've given several. Do you have your own?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It's still a common misspelling that people make to this day. A big part of doing historical linguistics is learning how to parse these kinds of things and figure out what the most likely case is (cause we can't actually know without a time machine). That people would use one spelling meaning the other is highly likely. That the actual roots somehow never were is less likely. (Ignoring folk etymology but that's basically the point above) . Because we know the actual roots and they're well documented. Did individual speakers later conjoin them? Yeah, probably. But that wasn't the question.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I literally quoted my giving citations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

You literally quoted me giving citations.

poo poo quote is not edit and I fat-fingered that. drat it. Saved for shame.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Which has nothing to do with what we were talking about. I was trying to actually answer the question.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tunicate posted:

literally every external link you've included in this thread has been to a website that you apparently write for (and you haven't given any primary sources at all)

Like if you consider quoting yourself with no reference to other sources to actually be a citation

Yes me linking the standard in my industry that I happen to help out with (unpaid) while bemoaning that we can't come up with a way to make all the gritty details more available to the public is exactly that. Good job.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Hey man, you're the one who said you had citations and primary sources. If you want to back up your statements that your particular unpaid etymology pet project is better than a more famous unpaid etymology pet project, I'm totally into it, but if you're just gonna yell that etymology is a full industry and you're revolutionizing it and everyone should believe you implicitly because you've claimed you're the best, you should maybe put up some evidence.

My unpaid etymology project that is the academic standard for the entire world. The source that all other languages wish they had. But clearly I made this up in a shed to win an internet argument.

Holy gently caress.

ulmont posted:

Except you didn't answer the question. You said the split "goes back way further than that" (I said "hundreds of years ago" and your links don't go any earlier than 1580s for when the later word shows up, which is, well, "hundreds of years ago") and that the split was "strong long before Early Modern English" (which your citations don't show since the second word isn't attested in your sources before the 1580s).

...so all you did was Kramer in to say :wrong: without backing it up.

Yeah, you got me dead to rights there ; I was pretty flip. If it's first attested then it's unlikely it was novel so the null hypothesis is that it's much older and this is just the first time it's recorded. I meant that there isn't a good ground to ever assume a conflation between the two words, which is an assumption that isn't shown in the record except for perhaps folk etymology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Whelp time to take all my degrees in this and smoke them. We just made it all up.

You got me.

You posted some pictures without knowing what they mean.