Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've been enjoying this thread since it was started, and I always like experimenting with new flavors. I'll take you up on that rue, if you don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

MisterOblivious posted:

unless you want your dish to taste like use cough drops as a "spice."

edible camphor is an ingredient in some indian dishes

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

SubG posted:

I'd love to hear how he's isolating and culturing yeast from a single desiccated sample without it getting swamped by whatever yeasts he happens to have naturally in the environment. None of his photos involve isolating a strain e.g. via a streak plate, and all of them seem to involve fermentation in the open air.

I thought the same thing on reading the tweet. Not to mention the yeasts in his flour, which is definitely not ancient.

People don't realize that the vast majority of the yeast in a sourdough starter is on the flour, not in the air. Yeast likes to live on stuff, not just float around.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

PubicMice posted:

This confuses me. Where else would the yeast be, if not inside and throughout the dough? Do people think the yeast's farts is the yeast itself?

the common knowledge (which is wrong) is that yeast is just floating around and, for example, starting a sourdough culture is the result of your local airborne yeast inoculating your flour slurry

the actual thing that happens is that flour ships with yeast on it, which inoculates the flour slurry. the amount of yeast in the air is miniscule in comparison.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I found this blog which so far is excellent by googling capillaire, which I'd never heard of before http://www.theoldfoodie.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

packetmantis posted:

Does it actually taste like walnuts?

I've made walnut ketchup and the answer is kind of but not how you expect