Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
So because I got stupidly frustrated with Microsoft Office that, apparently, came with my PC (even though it wouldn't even let me USE Word except for reading documents and printing things), I deleted all the Office stuff.

But this was a major screwup on my part because I cannot find anything to open docx. files properly and nothing on the internet is giving me a good free option because everything is either "PAY MICROSOFT" or "sorry this link expired gently caress you haha"

I only need a program that can open docx. files so I can print labels for my job, can anyone please help me out with something simple? I don't even need it to have edit options, just as long as it opens docx. and gives me the printing option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
OpenOffice and LibreOffice will attempt to view docx -- might not work but at least they're free to try. Libre might have a better shot, it really depends on how the document is formatted.

I think that the version of Wordpad that comes with Win 10 can at least view/convert the format, too. If you even *know* someone that has Win 10 just email them the file and they can convert it to an .odt and bounce it right back to you.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

mmmm posted:

OpenOffice and LibreOffice will attempt to view docx -- might not work but at least they're free to try. Libre might have a better shot, it really depends on how the document is formatted.

I think that the version of Wordpad that comes with Win 10 can at least view/convert the format, too. If you even *know* someone that has Win 10 just email them the file and they can convert it to an .odt and bounce it right back to you.
Ohhhhhhhhh my god LibreOffice works SO PERFECTLY this is fantastic.

Thank you so much for the advice, it works perfect and the labels came out exactly how they did in Word, you're the best! :D

derk
Sep 24, 2004
you can open office files in gmail.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
If you have a Google account you can just go to https://docs.google.com start a blank doc, then File > Open > Upload

It's a bit tedious, but functional in a pinch.

But it looks like you needed a local application for further editing/printing so OpenOffice/LibreOffice will be great.

• Locked thread