Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

It makes me sad to think we will never have a cool semi casual space fighter game ever again basically.

I’ll also throw out rogue leader as a game I played for a ton of time.

I remember playing tie fighter and dreaming about how awesome all the sequals would be as technology improved but it never really happened.

It’s also a shame that the rogue squadron games are dead. I really liked the first one and think they would sell great every generation with just a graphical update. I really hate EA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Frenz posted:

I remember playing tie fighter and dreaming about how awesome all the sequals would be as technology improved but it never really happened.

It’s also a shame that the rogue squadron games are dead. I really liked the first one and think they would sell great every generation with just a graphical update. I really hate EA

if you havent i recommended reading this article about factor 5 and lair
https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/1/17/16886514/lair-what-went-wrong

"We then pitched was supposed to be called Rogue Squadron: X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter"
“LucasArts, suddenly out of the blue, stopped paying us,”

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

"We then pitched was supposed to be called Rogue Squadron: X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter"

lmao

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Frenz posted:

I worship anyone who got a gold medal on Escape from Fest

elf help book posted:

I"M CLEAR BUT MY FIGHTER IS DOWN

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

elf help book posted:

lol this article is cool

quote:

On top of that, a reboot of the PlayStation launch title Warhawk debuted during the show, making public a new Sixaxis PS3 controller with built-in motion capabilities. Some members of the Factor 5 team looked on in horror.

“I remember sitting there with about 10 people watching Sony’s press conference and the $599 and laughing. Then the motion control thing. We were laughing about it at first and then it dawned on us, ‘poo poo, [Sony is] going to make us use this,’” says designer Dubrofsky.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Lmao at “to help lucas arts thrive, we need to stop making star wars games” and the ww1 inspired tactics game based on animal farm.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started lolling when it got the Lair part proper and the guy kicks off with "9/11. The Bush years. Terror in the middle East. This is what inspired Dragon Knight."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
lucasarts, microsoft, and sony hosed up a classic developer so hard they only make netflix and cunchyroll apps now

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

"9/11. The Bush years. Terror in the middle East. This is what inspired Dragon Knight."

same

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

lucasarts, microsoft, and sony hosed up a classic developer so hard they only make netflix and cunchyroll apps now

Nintendo needs to get on that rear end so they can put Crunchyroll on switch.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

I started lolling when it got the Lair part proper and the guy kicks off with "9/11. The Bush years. Terror in the middle East. This is what inspired Dragon Knight."

actually dragon knight/knights of xentar was inspired by the graphics capabilities of the pc-88 and japan's fixation on women in bikini armor being molested by orcs during the economic bubble

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mysterious loyall X posted:

actually dragon knight/knights of xentar was inspired by the graphics capabilities of the pc-88 and japan's fixation on women in bikini armor being molested by orcs during the economic bubble

Didn't one of those get a weird censored English release on DOS somehow?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Didn't one of those get a weird censored English release on DOS somehow?

probably idk

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

elf help book posted:

Don’t forget Super Turrican Director’s Cut on the Super NT

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's not entirely single-player but my Monster Hunter 4U save file has about 280 hours on it. Also I think that cart is broken so RIP my MH4U character :negative:

I have no idea how much time I put into it but Morrowind has to be up there as well if not higher. Got it New Year's Day of 2006 and probably devoted 90% of my game time that year to that game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Definitely played other games for way longer but Monster Hunter World is the fastest I've ever racked up 150+ hours

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

[Overweight tall loser with bad posture sitting on a wooden chair 1 foot from a CRT with NFL Draft Stats On It] Ooo, you are a bad rear end...

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
wolfenstein enemy territory and nethack,d efinitely

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This one is getting up there for me.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
3500+ on dark souls. Really.

I mean yeah a lot of that was PvP but

Other than that, probably 500+ learning to speedrun Final fantasy 4. Only other game I think even comes close is Nethack. I have no idea how much time I've thrown into that over the last 30 years.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 29, 2018

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Heavily Modded Skyrim.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I used to play Final Fantasy VII at least once every year, trying out different characters and Materia and stuff even though it really didn't change anything. It just felt good to have this game I knew absolutely everything about that I could always come back to. We're talking about ten years here. Then a few years ago I just abruptly stopped. There was finally nothing more to get out of it and I was just going through the motions.

Now I'm running Dark Souls into the ground.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Was hoping it would take a turn for the extremely calm freakout. :sigh: But, epic man.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I used to play ff8 once a year or so but I played it the exact same way every time except the time I really got into the card game and deleted all the rules I hated and collected every card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I used to play ff8 once a year or so but I played it the exact same way every time except the time I really got into the card game and deleted all the rules I hated and collected every card.

Winning the edea card with same/plus and random in effect was epic

• Locked thread