Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

https://empyriononline.com/

quote:

Are you tired of survival crafting games that limit to you a single small map with the same guys with rocks? Ever wanted to build a Small Vessel [SV] and then dock it with a Capital Vessel [CV], and warp both to a different system? Do you like building with your friends, raiding things, and basically everything that No Man's Sky promised but failed to deliver?

This is why you need Empyrion Online. It is like a cross between Minecraft and Space Engineers plus templates and planets and GREAT PVP.

Empyrion Online is currently Early Access on steam for $20$10! [Disclaimer: I am not associated with them in any way.] When you launch, you are given a choice between single player or multiplayer, similar to the minecraft system. You join from a list of servers in multiplayer to play with your friends or you go it alone. Their version of 'hard' is actually hard as they give you little equipment, but you can easily start on easier mode, which gives you more equipment.

Make ships shaped like anything!

Details:

Each area is split into a planet and a moon, with space in between.
Tech tree that you build up, easy to level to 20, can easily do this in a few minutes with an SV.
Can import ship designs from other people, if you have the materials.
Completely deformable terrain.
Allow small ships to dock with big ships, allowing you to travel together.
Hostiles (drones and dinosaurs and spiders etc) that can be difficult if you are under prepared.
'Faction's that you join, aka your guild mates, allowing you to share resources/ships/bases.
Largest server is 170 people, can scale higher.
Biggest failing for me right now is the lack of waypoint placement! Fixed in 4.1!

Some Jargon:
BA = Base, where you store all your stuff. Note that some systems start out with a heavy drone prescence that can kill your base, easily.
HV = Hover Vehicles. These are a land-only based system
SV = Small Vehicle. These are the first ships you will build to get up and fly around the planet. They use little fuel to fly and you can leave the planet.
CV = Capital Vehicle. You need one of these to go between systems, with appropriate fuel from blue crystals.
Starter Planet = You start out here, it is PvE, so player versus environment. You need someone from your faction to come pick you up in a capital ship if you're joining a group that is off planet.

Version 8!

https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-experimental-8-0-part-i.37392/

quote:

Hi Galactic Survivalists!

Today, we are very excited to announce the release of the first EXPERIMENTAL version of Alpha 8!

You’ve been patiently waiting for this day, following nearly half a dozen dev blogs and various teasers about the new features coming with Alpha 8.0. Now it is your turn to play and give us feedback! :)

Be aware that this is still a very rough version - so expect bugs and unpolished features. We wanted to release Alpha EXP 8.0 as early as possible to get your feedback!

==============

CHANGELOG: Alpha Experimental 8.0.0 (Build 1591)

MAIN FEATURES:

Instead of detailing all the features, we just highlight the main Alpha 8 features and recommend reading the feedback threads below for more details.

1. Larger Planets:
Increased size from the current 8x4km (32km²) up to 64x32km (2048km²) playfields, i.e. the planets in Alpha 8 will be up to 64x larger than in Alpha 7!

We would like to give you an idea of how big these planets are. Do you see the spire base on the other side?

It looks quite far away - right? However, if you look at the map, it seems to be just in front of you:

- Actual size of a planet will also be reflected in the orbit
- Tilted planet axis so that the day/night ratio depends where you are on the planet (eg longer days and shorter nights on the northern hemisphere and vice versa on the southern hemisphere)
- Improved outside view of the planets in the orbit

2. Random Generation of Solar System:

- Each time you start a new game, a new solar system is generated with a different amount of planets and POIs
- You can control the generation process via a configuration file (number and type of planets, POIs, extension of solar system etc)

The above screenshot shows the new 3d sector map of a random solar system

3. Procedural Terrain Generation:

Procedural terrain generation is back - no fixed heightmap planets anymore

4. More Diverse Biomes:
Realistic biome distribution based on humidity and temperature:
[tmg]https://i.imgur.com/0PZqdil.jpg[/tmg]

By changing Temperature, Humidity and the Seed, we obtain a very varied biome distribution:

5. Underground Layers and Voxel Mining:
- The 'underground layers' are back. You will have the possibility to set up to 7 different consecutive layers for your planetary playfields
- In addition, the old Voxel mining is back as well

(depending on the resource, a playfield creator can decide whether to use the Alpha 7-style sub-surface rocks or the pre-Alpha 7 Voxel spheres)

6. Removal of Red and Green Wall:

We finally removed the red pole colliders and the green wall so that you can now cross the poles and you do not have to be afraid when you cross the green wall (the current version is still WIP and will be further improved during the EXP phase)
[tmg]https://i.imgur.com/CpDw6WA.jpg[/timg]
In the above screenshot, we are in the far north (actually the sun never sets here) beyond the former red wall and we are looking north. Pre-Alpha 8, this area was blocked. If you continue in this direction you will actually cross the north pole.

7. Updated Terrain Textures:
We improved the visuals on a planet by replacing almost all terrain textures

8. New Decoration Placement and Rendering System:
We integrated a new system for the placement and rendering of the decoration objects on a planet which allows for a dense vegetation that is rendered very far with little performance impact

9. Own Editor to Generate your Planets and Solar System:
- We developed our own Solar System Generator (SSG) to generate your planetary terrain and whole solar system
- The SSG editor will be distributed with the game on Steam

The editor features a full preview for planets, orbits and the solar system

For example, you will be able to preview the POI and resource distribution in the SSG as well as the NPC spawn points:

Note: You will now also have the possibility to place POIs and Ore Deposits by BIOME

10. New Suit and Survival Mechanics:
- We tried to have a more survival-style game start by giving the player only very basic equipment
- We integrated a very limited "Suit Constructor" (slow, can craft only very basic items like a food item, bandages etc) and a Survival Tent
- Added new Survival Tool for basic defense, rock drilling and deconstruction
- Sleeping in Escape Pod, Survival Tent and Beds in Single Player

11. Improved AI Behavior:

- More realistic behavior of the ground AI (vision sensor, noise system, alert level, fear sensor)

- Added AI bomber drone (it is part of the AI drone waves > currently used on Desert planet)
- New controller for AI Planet Vessel - it now more like a large and heavy ship
- New controller for space drones

12. Repair-to-Template:
Restore your ship to a previously saved Repair Template (feature is still WIP and will be refined during EXP)

13. New Status Effects / Diseases:
Fully revamped Status Effects, medicals and diseases mechanic

14. New Food and Food-item Drop System:

Fully revamped Food templates and Ingredients drop mechanic

15. Updated Models and Consistent Texturing of Old Models
We updated the textures on almost all 3d models to a new unified coloring and metallic workflow in order to have a more consistent look. In addition, we replaced some models such as the thrusters for CV. Here is the M Thruster CV:

... and as a teaser, here is a preview of the XL Thruster CV:

....and much more. For the full changelog, see below.

DISCLAIMER:
When you play Alpha 8.0 the first time, please note that it is now a quite DIFFERENT experience in many game-start related aspects, compared to version 7.6! The distances are bigger, the drops are different, the mechanics got changed, new possibilities added and a lot of stuff got moved around.

This is also relevant for all our server owners and scenario builders: the changes to the planets resulted in a new file structure and a few new definitions, so that most of the playfields you have set up and are using right now, might not work with Alpha 8.0 without making the necessary changes. Please check the SSG Documentation for more details!

Said that, as always with an EXP version, we do NOT recommend to start building scenarios or playfields based on the new version right away, but possibly wait until Phase 2 or 3 when most initial feedback changes might have been integrated. If you want to set up a new savegame for your server for the duration of EXP, we strongly recommend using the Default MP scenarios - as this would also help us to get the maximum feedback out of the new settings.

As a PLAYER, we absolutely RECOMMEND to first read through ALL of the feedback threads posted below to get yourself up to date on the new and changed game mechanics BEFORE starting any new game!

This is true for the new game start in particular, as, due to all the changes on planets, playfields and features, we are basically back at the drawing board in terms of game start balance. Alpha 8.0 is literally throwing a lot (not all!) of the old methods, that worked the same and were never really changed since approx version 2.0 (or even v1.0) and a few things you might have gotten accustomed to, in terms of what happens when and what you get for game start, out of the window in favor of the game now living up to the "Survival" tag in its name a little bit more again.

Changing the game start and trying to give it a improved "Survival Experience" in that early game stage actually IS intentional!

Said that, this will possibly make or let some game elements feel harder in this first Experimental version, until they are fully balanced out and all new features are polished again!

We will do this together in the coming weeks of Empyrion Alpha 8.0 Experimental and, as always, iterate on your feedback for the upcoming 8.x updates!

Both, as a player, creator or server owner, please keep the aforementioned in mind when playing AND while giving feedback. :)

Thanks in advance for your dedicated help, improving Empyrion Galactic Survival! :)

Let’s roll!
Empyrion Dev Team

P.S. Please note that we do not support DX9 anymore with the release of Alpha EXP 8. However, we will leave the last Alpha 7.6 on a separate Steam branch when we officially release Alpha 8.

P.P.S If you are using a custom config.yaml, we recommend removing it before you start Alpha EXP 8.0
================

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't really want to make an OP for this game, but the old one was archived and I wanted to talk about it so I mostly just C/P the old one! I just got into Empyrion: Galactic Survival over the last few days I have to say this game is freaking amazing! The base building and resource gathering in minecraftery enough to be interesting, but not gridish enough to be tedious. But where this game really shins is the vehicles building! There was a mod for Minecraft called "Custom Airships" or something like that, It allowed you to make vehicles out of blocks and it was somewhat similar to this game (kingdom hearts did something like this too). Making little shuttle craft, and drilling machines, fighter craft, and capital ships is really fun and adds something that typical "modded minecraft" base building doesn't match. In many ways this game is similar to the Galacticraft mod, but the vehicles really put it apart.

I have been playing this game solo for a few days now, and it really does live up to the name "galactic survival". The starting planet was kind of challenging, but I was able to find a derilict base and build a simple hover vehicle. I tried at first to power my base only with solar panels, but that didn't work :downs::

Eventually I got sick of that shack and used the blueprint system to make one of the "prefab" bases. I placed it on a ledge, mostly floating in the air (for protection against hostile dinosaurs). Turns out that this game (unlike minecraft) has gravity! My base collapsed into a pile of rubble the second I managed to finish transferring the contents of my chests into it :argh:

Once I made my first Small Vehicle I took a trip to the moon to get some Cobalt Ore. It was harrowing and I was scared that I would asphyxiate or something. Turns out my real problem was the moon drones! As I was digging a hole the moon drones blew up my first SV, trapping me on the moon :argh: Lucky for me I had a motor bike in my inventory and I biked to the moon settlement. I was able to scrape together enough minerals to build a new SV by scrapping a derelict capital ship that had crashed on the moon. If not for that wreck I would have never found enough copper to ever escape the moon. (I didn't take an screenshots on the moon unfortunately)

When I returned from the moon I used my new exotic ores to build an even bigger better SV with a warp drive. There was a near by planet with the Neodymium and Sathium I needed to make my first capital ship. This time I did not fool around, I was not going to get trapped on the planet like I got trapped on the moon! I prebuilt a new base, as well as a few vehicles, so that my blueprint queue would allow me to spawn them in an emergency. As soon as I landed I put down the base and filled it with turrets. I fought off several waves of drones and was able to gather the Neodymium and Sathium I needed. Just as I put the final resources for my Capital Ship into the blueprint maker (time to complete 1 hour) a huge drone ship along with 5 smaller drones attack my base. I unload on them with my attack ships, but they utterly blow up my base. I was able to destroy them with a minigun, but my base and vehicles were entirely destroyed :negative: Lucky for me I was able to survive in the ruins long enough for my capital ship to finish building! I spawned it, loaded it as quickly as possible, then evacuated that dread planet right away. This game really makes you earn your survival!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 18, 2018

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

This is a good game if you like flying and placing blocks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shadowlz posted:

This is a good game if you like flying and placing blocks.

I enjoy both of these things quite a bit. Its amazing, Empyrion manages to accomplish what both Star Citizen and No Mans Sky pretend to accomplish. In fact its better than No Mans Sky, because the ships are 100% custom (and they don't cost real money). Walking around in your ship during space battles, newtonian physics, area specific damage, system failures, etc. Its all there, its a great little simulation. Whoever made this game engine is quite clever, these block vehicles all interact perfectly like they should. I can even land my little shuttlecraft on my Capital Ship :kimchi:

The planets are semi procedurally generated, with some pre-made "landmarks" that show up in random spots. There isn't 50 billion zillion gillion like No Mans Sky, but thats a dumb gimmick anyway. Empyrion lets you edit the planets and make you own scenarios, which I think might be fun to get into once I finish the starter scenario (whatever I define as "finish" :v:)

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 19, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Today it is on the steam lunar sale. Your care and loving OP has caused me to part with 10bux.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Add this blueprint: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=823517094

Build one.

swap out the drills for mining lasers.

ricochet around deposits firing lasers like a discoball collecting a billion ore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pound_Coin posted:

Add this blueprint: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=823517094

Build one.

swap out the drills for mining lasers.

ricochet around deposits firing lasers like a discoball collecting a billion ore.

Every time I try to use one of those mining drill things I end up stuck in the earth. I have abandoned two so far in deep holes. I mostly gave up on them and use the T2 Drill. Is there some kind of trick to not being stuck in holes?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rutibex posted:

There isn't 50 billion zillion gillion like No Mans Sky, but thats a dumb gimmick anyway.

yeah No Mans Sky is more like 4 different planets with 50 billion zillion slightly different color palettes

this game looks great, just the kind of thing I would become addicted to so I'm sad/glad its windows only and I cant play it yet

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Rutibex posted:

Every time I try to use one of those mining drill things I end up stuck in the earth. I have abandoned two so far in deep holes. I mostly gave up on them and use the T2 Drill. Is there some kind of trick to not being stuck in holes?

There's keys to adjust ride height on HVs, bind them to something, max height is like 3m, point at a wall, drag your mouse down to tilt the whole thing back, then floor it. You'll bounce around like mad, but you can go up practically vertical walls, you can tunnel to the surface or you can wall of death your way out with enough speed, they're hilarious vehicles.

Edit: I would advise replacing all of the outer plate blocks with heavy plate though, you can outrun most turret's tracking, but one bad missile drone spawn and you're done.

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 19, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pound_Coin posted:

There's keys to adjust ride height on HVs, bind them to something, max height is like 3m, point at a wall, drag your mouse down to tilt the whole thing back, then floor it. You'll bounce around like mad, but you can go up practically vertical walls, you can tunnel to the surface or you can wall of death your way out with enough speed, they're hilarious vehicles.

Edit: I would advise replacing all of the outer plate blocks with heavy plate though, you can outrun most turret's tracking, but one bad missile drone spawn and you're done.

Ah yeah, that seems to be the trick! There are a lot of keyboard commands in this game.

Earwicker posted:

yeah No Mans Sky is more like 4 different planets with 50 billion zillion slightly different color palettes

this game looks great, just the kind of thing I would become addicted to so I'm sad/glad its windows only and I cant play it yet

It done in Unity I think? That means once its out of alpha it could theoretically be ported to almost anything. All the keyboard commands might make it hard to translate to a console controller though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I started playing this game multiplayer with a friend on a private LAN server. We had a hell of a time until he figured out how to cheat us some starting equipment because you start with almost nothing compared to singleplayer. Having to slowly explore on foot with no cover and minimal biofuel is NOT fun. :argh:

Playing alone is more fun, until I started building an insanely oversized capital ship and got burned out. I even recycled two of the three broken titan bits into blocks and I was still running low. The digging is way too slow for exploring wrecks to be any fun at all (yes the upgraded drill). Other than that it's a cool game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poil posted:

I started playing this game multiplayer with a friend on a private LAN server. We had a hell of a time until he figured out how to cheat us some starting equipment because you start with almost nothing compared to singleplayer. Having to slowly explore on foot with no cover and minimal biofuel is NOT fun. :argh:

Playing alone is more fun, until I started building an insanely oversized capital ship and got burned out. I even recycled two of the three broken titan bits into blocks and I was still running low. The digging is way too slow for exploring wrecks to be any fun at all (yes the upgraded drill). Other than that it's a cool game.

You can dig faster if you build a drilling machine hover vehicle, same with cutting trees. Also, if you mine high value resources you can trade them to NPCs and exchange for lots of lower value ones. So don't mine iron, mine gold and sell it for iron.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've had some free time this week so I was playing quite a bit of Empyrion! This game has a very good sense of progression and accomplishment, even for an early access alpha. Traveling between the different planets looking for resources each presents different challenges. The game also encourages you to keep upgrading your vehicles, you can always build something just a little bit better. I started off in this simple terrestrial base, where I gathered the resources to build some small ships to go to the moon:

Then with those moon materials I was able to build the smallest version of a Capital Ship. I didn't use the game default design, I went into creative mode and improved the interior to my liking (adding a second constructor, lots of storage crates, and a bed). I also added some cannons for protection (the default ship was unarmed!). I spent many hours in this ship, it served me well. It has a tiny docking pad on the back, enough for one (or two if you cram them) small shuttles. Unfortunately its not enclosed so getting into the shuttles when in space is dangerous (I froze to death a few times getting to my fighters lol):

With that ship I was able to travel around and collect the massive amounts of exotic material I needed to build my newest (and I think final) ship the Omega Class. This one wasn't a default ship, I went with a design I found on the Steam Workshop. It is made of two layers of solid Combat Steel and comes with 6 huge ship bays (and 1 repair bay in the back). The bays are big enough to fit two small craft, or one larger one each. The bays are low to the ground with a ramp, so Hover Vehicles can easily drive in and out when the Omega Class lands on a planet. You can access them from the side, or beneath! The stock design was very functional, and cheap for what it could do but I needed to make some major changes to the living space. The original interior of the living space was terrible and not used properly so I changed it. I completely rearranged it to add space for more storage, 40+ plots of plants, a medical bay, a second constructor, a multi turret and a mining beam. I also gave it a paint job to look cooler. Finally I armed The Omega Class. The original design was weaponless, and I changed that in a big way. My design has 4 Cannons Turrets, 25 Sentry Guns, 10 Minigun Turrets, 2 Pulse Lasers, and 2 Rocket Turrets. I can't wait for a drone attack. :twisted:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 23, 2018

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

McDonald's new play areas are getting pretty complex.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

My and some buddies started playing this game. It's surprisingly fun, although it's not optimized very well and can bog down on large structures.

I don't have any screenshots of it sadly, but the first space ship we built looked good on paper. However, actually leaving the atmosphere and going into space, we neglected to insulate the ship at all and slowly froze to death on our way towards the nearest space station :sigh:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

This looks like a fun and I think I've got it sitting in my library untouched. The question is, singleplayer or multiplayer?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Radio Free Kobold posted:

This looks like a fun and I think I've got it sitting in my library untouched. The question is, singleplayer or multiplayer?

I can not comment on the multiplayer, though the last thread was almost entirely about that aspect. There was a goons server and much fun PvP was had. I can see this being a fun game to play on a small server with 10-20 friends, a little micro EvE online. It might be fun to crew a capital vessel with a bunch of people together. When sitting in passenger seats other people can fire the guns on your ship as you fly it, Star Wars style. And of course you could have individually crewed fighters, like a Battlestar :D

The single player is a fun experience though, even if your SV is shaped like an X-wing only for your own benefit.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 25, 2018

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Hey I love this game and want to see this thread grow. I have been hanging out on the "Rentech" server. It's pretty well maintained and has 20-30 people on most nights. PVE and PVP galaxy sections, etc. Decently chill community adn active discord channels with support. If people would stop depleting the zascosium in PVE planets that would be nice but the chase for the meteorites is kind of fun. Besides living 100% off auto-miners is kind dull.

The ladybug is OK but the Lady Big is better: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=823650868 - when you get stuck just hold down the O key until you get loose. Also press space, shift and up to shoot out of the holes. I add an extra S engine to the front and back just because. Hover boosters rule.

Also look at jrandalls stuff (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971586119/myworkshopfiles/?appid=383120). He makes some seriously good ships and bases. His lvl 3 hovercraft is probably the only good hovercraft though - Doesn't seem to be his strong suit. The Chimera HAV-B and Cerberus PSV are really incredible ships.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bedevere posted:

Hey I love this game and want to see this thread grow. I have been hanging out on the "Rentech" server. It's pretty well maintained and has 20-30 people on most nights. PVE and PVP galaxy sections, etc. Decently chill community adn active discord channels with support. If people would stop depleting the zascosium in PVE planets that would be nice but the chase for the meteorites is kind of fun. Besides living 100% off auto-miners is kind dull.

The ladybug is OK but the Lady Big is better: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=823650868 - when you get stuck just hold down the O key until you get loose. Also press space, shift and up to shoot out of the holes. I add an extra S engine to the front and back just because. Hover boosters rule.

Also look at jrandalls stuff (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971586119/myworkshopfiles/?appid=383120). He makes some seriously good ships and bases. His lvl 3 hovercraft is probably the only good hovercraft though - Doesn't seem to be his strong suit. The Chimera HAV-B and Cerberus PSV are really incredible ships.

Thanks for bumping the thread before it become lost to the void! I might check out that server. It would be good to get a Goonswarm together on one of these and do some epic space violence against the pubbies.

I was planning on doing a big update post when version 8 comes out, but I may as well post what they have so far. I have kind of been waiting to get back into playing for this update, it is going to change a lot about the game and I think old saves will be incompatible. The new version should be coming out any day now!

quote:

Road to Alpha 8: Development 4

The Experimental version is nearly around the corner! We have already started to refine some of the features that should be playable in the first iteration of the Alpha 8.0 public testing version. In addition, we are currently fixing the remaining major bugs to get the Experimental version ready for release.

1. Planet Update
In the current public version, when you dig into the ground, the textures do not change a lot. This was one of the downsides of the fixed heightmaps as the terrain shader was not very flexible with respect to textures.
In Alpha 8, the 'underground layers' are coming back. Creators will have the possibility to set up to 7 different consecutive layers for their planetary playfields.

2. AI Behavior Update
For the upcoming Experimental phase, we are developing a new AI technology, which will be used mainly for the AI of animals on the planets. We will be primarily using it on few animals on the starter planet.

2.1. Technology
We will be using a new Behaviour Tree technology for the animals. It is a visual tool, in which we can design the behaviour from small AI modules. This helps us to easily create prototypes and reuse the modules between animals.

To make the animal behaviour more natural we are using some new tools.
- Vision sensor - it will simulate vision of the animal. If you get in range and field of view, it will inform other systems of your presence
- Noise system - similar to vision sensor. This system is gathering some of the noises in game and feeding them in to the AI
- Alert level - If the animal can hear or see you, it can get alerted - it can be just a slight disturbance or a strong rage, depends on the alert source strength, was it just a rustle, or a shot in the back? You can now try to go stealthy, slowly and not using items. You can see the animals react by changing their behaviour. Learn to read the posture ;-)

- Fear sensor - similar to alert level, animal has also a fear level. The fear is increased with noises or damage, and decreased by time (as time heals everything) and friends. So if you see aggressive creature in big group, be careful!

2.2. New behaviours

Friendly herbivore:
A friendly herbivore will be eating grass (or maybe rocks, depends on their taste) and roam around the world...

Road to Alpha 8: Development 3
1. Solar System Generator
The "SSG" is making good progress. The most recent version now includes a full preview for planets, orbits and the solar system!
For planets and orbits, we not only added indicators of ore deposits/asteroids and POIs, but you can now also see all NPC spawn points as well!
(each little dot represents a spawn point and the red area is the new starter biome)

2. Planets
In the past week we made three major improvements:
2.1 New terrain with considerably increased view distance
We still have to decide about the actual view distance from a gameplay perspective. As you can see, the new terrain would allow for a VERY huge view distance)

2.2 Red and green wall removal
We improved the removal of the red and green walls (still needs testing). In the below screenshot, we are in the far north (actually the sun never sets here) beyond the former red wall and we are looking north. Pre-Alpha 8, this area was blocked. If you continue in this direction you will actually cross the north pole.

2.3 The outside view of the planets in the orbit now looks much better
...and also the 3d planet map has better visuals:

3. New food and item drop system
As promised, we can now have a more closer look on the new food and item-drop system, you will test in the upcoming Experimental version.

3a. New item drop groups
As explained in the last dev blog we changed the single-purpose food & item drops system into a basic set of groups.
- PlantProtein
- NaturalSweetener
- Grain
- Berries
- Fruit
- Mushroom
- NaturalStimulant
- Vegetables
- Spice
Each harvestable plant in the game, that is relevant to a food item or meal, will drop an item that is named like one of these groups. For example: Corn and Wheat plants will get you GRAIN.
There are other plants, that did not see a change yet, like Varon Root still drops Varon Roots, but this might change as we explore categories and new food groups in the future! We are of course open to any...

Road to Alpha 8: Development 2
We are still working full throttle on our Alpha 8.0 main topic "larger planets", but we can now say that the finish line is already visible. Said that, it might take still some time until the first Experimental version will hit. One of the reasons is, that the new planet generation leads to the need of rebuilding a major portion of all the adjacent mechanics, from placing plants down to temperature scaling - which needs to be readjusted from the ground up again. Same applies to the SolarSystemGenerator (SSG-editor), as these two topics are closely entangled with each other.

While the new planets become more and more tangible, we made progress in a lot of other areas as well.

1. New Game start
In the last dev Blog, you had a lot of questions about the new game start, suit constructor and sleeping. We will try to answer some of those, although this is still a work-in-progress topic.

- Sleeping -

Q: Are there limitations, like not being able to sleep when I am followed by enemies?
A: We are currently working on the details - especially on those conditionals what will or will not work or happen while you sleep. We'll update the details in a dev blog as soon as they are set in stone.

Q: How does sleeping work and where can I sleep?
A: For now only the Escape Pod has this feature. If this mechanic works, we can (and will) add the feature to other devices, like beds.

Q: Does sleeping work in Multiplayer or Coop as well?
A: No, this will remain an exclusive feature for single player in the near future. As a side note: To make this feature work in Multiplayer, ALL player would need to go to "bed" at the same time, as we cannot advance time if a player is still "active". We might possibly find a solution for this in the future, maybe for small-groups MP like Coop, but until then, this will remain a single player only feature

Q: When forwarding time aka 'sleeping' in MP does not work, what about having a 'save logoff' instead?
A: Yes, we already considered 'saving' your re-entry by using a Clone Chamber or similar. This is already on the list for future updates, but not in the scope for the initial Alpha 8.0 as a lot of side-effects that result from this need to be taken into account (like what happens if the ship is destroyed or captured or the device is...

Road to Alpha 8: Development 1

We are a bit behind schedule with our blog post about the new Solar System Generator because we are currently reworking parts of it. Thus, we thought it does not make sense to reveal info which is already outdated in the very moment we post it.
However, don't worry - more info about the new tool for easily creating your very personal solar system will be published in the near future. For example on how to utilize the new "planet tilt" setting, which will allow for different day/night cycle length on the northern and southern hemisphere of a planet!
Instead of a walk-through of the "SSG" (Solar System Generator), we want to provide you with some quick info about our progress on some of the other, more gameplay-relevant features!
Let's roll :)

1. Game Start

If you start a new default game, the new SSG system will randomly pick names from a database of around 600 playfield names. So if you start a new game with a different seed, your planets will have different names!
You will be able to "sleep" in your escape pod to forward time and it will not despawn (SP only)
You will have a very limited "Suit Constructor" at your disposal (slow, only the very basic items like a food item, bandages etc)
We are planning to provide you with a much better survival experience as a game start. More details to come...

2. For Scenario Creators

You can still use the system with a fixed sectors.yaml and fixed planet names!
You will now have the possibility to place POIs and Ore Deposits BY BIOME![​IMG]
You will be able to preview the POI and resource distribution in the SSG [​IMG]
The PDA system now offers repeatable missions!

3. For Builders

You can now set Hotkeys for console commands. Having SI turned to off, godmode on, teleport and more can be activated at the same time with a simple hotkey click!
Automated doors now have an override priority for Sensors: if you add a sensor/signal to a door, the door-integrated auto-opening will not be triggered.
Devices with Sensor Input and Output fields can now send and receive signals. Before, SEND did not work as long as the device was set to listen/receive signals at the same time. Note: you cannot create blink-lights this way, because of an integrated...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Experimental version of Alpha 8 drops today!. Check out some of these awesome features:
https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-experimental-8-0-part-i.37392/

quote:

Today, we are very excited to announce the release of the first EXPERIMENTAL version of Alpha 8!

You’ve been patiently waiting for this day, following nearly half a dozen dev blogs and various teasers about the new features coming with Alpha 8.0. Now it is your turn to play and give us feedback! :)

Be aware that this is still a very rough version - so expect bugs and unpolished features. We wanted to release Alpha EXP 8.0 as early as possible to get your feedback!

==============

CHANGELOG: Alpha Experimental 8.0.0 (Build 1591)

MAIN FEATURES:

Instead of detailing all the features, we just highlight the main Alpha 8 features and recommend reading the feedback threads below for more details.

1. Larger Planets:
Increased size from the current 8x4km (32km²) up to 64x32km (2048km²) playfields, i.e. the planets in Alpha 8 will be up to 64x larger than in Alpha 7!

We would like to give you an idea of how big these planets are. Do you see the spire base on the other side?

It looks quite far away - right? However, if you look at the map, it seems to be just in front of you:

- Actual size of a planet will also be reflected in the orbit
- Tilted planet axis so that the day/night ratio depends where you are on the planet (eg longer days and shorter nights on the northern hemisphere and vice versa on the southern hemisphere)
- Improved outside view of the planets in the orbit

2. Random Generation of Solar System:

- Each time you start a new game, a new solar system is generated with a different amount of planets and POIs
- You can control the generation process via a configuration file (number and type of planets, POIs, extension of solar system etc)

The above screenshot shows the new 3d sector map of a random solar system

3. Procedural Terrain Generation:

Procedural terrain generation is back - no fixed heightmap planets anymore

4. More Diverse Biomes:
Realistic biome distribution based on humidity and temperature:
[tmg]https://i.imgur.com/0PZqdil.jpg[/tmg]

By changing Temperature, Humidity and the Seed, we obtain a very varied biome distribution:

5. Underground Layers and Voxel Mining:
- The 'underground layers' are back. You will have the possibility to set up to 7 different consecutive layers for your planetary playfields
- In addition, the old Voxel mining is back as well

(depending on the resource, a playfield creator can decide whether to use the Alpha 7-style sub-surface rocks or the pre-Alpha 7 Voxel spheres)

6. Removal of Red and Green Wall:

We finally removed the red pole colliders and the green wall so that you can now cross the poles and you do not have to be afraid when you cross the green wall (the current version is still WIP and will be further improved during the EXP phase)
[tmg]https://i.imgur.com/CpDw6WA.jpg[/timg]
In the above screenshot, we are in the far north (actually the sun never sets here) beyond the former red wall and we are looking north. Pre-Alpha 8, this area was blocked. If you continue in this direction you will actually cross the north pole.

7. Updated Terrain Textures:
We improved the visuals on a planet by replacing almost all terrain textures

8. New Decoration Placement and Rendering System:
We integrated a new system for the placement and rendering of the decoration objects on a planet which allows for a dense vegetation that is rendered very far with little performance impact

9. Own Editor to Generate your Planets and Solar System:
- We developed our own Solar System Generator (SSG) to generate your planetary terrain and whole solar system
- The SSG editor will be distributed with the game on Steam

The editor features a full preview for planets, orbits and the solar system

For example, you will be able to preview the POI and resource distribution in the SSG as well as the NPC spawn points:

Note: You will now also have the possibility to place POIs and Ore Deposits by BIOME

10. New Suit and Survival Mechanics:
- We tried to have a more survival-style game start by giving the player only very basic equipment
- We integrated a very limited "Suit Constructor" (slow, can craft only very basic items like a food item, bandages etc) and a Survival Tent
- Added new Survival Tool for basic defense, rock drilling and deconstruction
- Sleeping in Escape Pod, Survival Tent and Beds in Single Player

11. Improved AI Behavior:

- More realistic behavior of the ground AI (vision sensor, noise system, alert level, fear sensor)

- Added AI bomber drone (it is part of the AI drone waves > currently used on Desert planet)
- New controller for AI Planet Vessel - it now more like a large and heavy ship
- New controller for space drones

12. Repair-to-Template:
Restore your ship to a previously saved Repair Template (feature is still WIP and will be refined during EXP)

13. New Status Effects / Diseases:
Fully revamped Status Effects, medicals and diseases mechanic

14. New Food and Food-item Drop System:

Fully revamped Food templates and Ingredients drop mechanic

15. Updated Models and Consistent Texturing of Old Models
We updated the textures on almost all 3d models to a new unified coloring and metallic workflow in order to have a more consistent look. In addition, we replaced some models such as the thrusters for CV. Here is the M Thruster CV:

... and as a teaser, here is a preview of the XL Thruster CV:

....and much more. For the full changelog, see below.

DISCLAIMER:
When you play Alpha 8.0 the first time, please note that it is now a quite DIFFERENT experience in many game-start related aspects, compared to version 7.6! The distances are bigger, the drops are different, the mechanics got changed, new possibilities added and a lot of stuff got moved around.

This is also relevant for all our server owners and scenario builders: the changes to the planets resulted in a new file structure and a few new definitions, so that most of the playfields you have set up and are using right now, might not work with Alpha 8.0 without making the necessary changes. Please check the SSG Documentation for more details!

Said that, as always with an EXP version, we do NOT recommend to start building scenarios or playfields based on the new version right away, but possibly wait until Phase 2 or 3 when most initial feedback changes might have been integrated. If you want to set up a new savegame for your server for the duration of EXP, we strongly recommend using the Default MP scenarios - as this would also help us to get the maximum feedback out of the new settings.

As a PLAYER, we absolutely RECOMMEND to first read through ALL of the feedback threads posted below to get yourself up to date on the new and changed game mechanics BEFORE starting any new game!

This is true for the new game start in particular, as, due to all the changes on planets, playfields and features, we are basically back at the drawing board in terms of game start balance. Alpha 8.0 is literally throwing a lot (not all!) of the old methods, that worked the same and were never really changed since approx version 2.0 (or even v1.0) and a few things you might have gotten accustomed to, in terms of what happens when and what you get for game start, out of the window in favor of the game now living up to the "Survival" tag in its name a little bit more again.

Changing the game start and trying to give it a improved "Survival Experience" in that early game stage actually IS intentional!

Said that, this will possibly make or let some game elements feel harder in this first Experimental version, until they are fully balanced out and all new features are polished again!

We will do this together in the coming weeks of Empyrion Alpha 8.0 Experimental and, as always, iterate on your feedback for the upcoming 8.x updates!

Both, as a player, creator or server owner, please keep the aforementioned in mind when playing AND while giving feedback. :)

Thanks in advance for your dedicated help, improving Empyrion Galactic Survival! :)

Let’s roll!
Empyrion Dev Team

P.S. Please note that we do not support DX9 anymore with the release of Alpha EXP 8. However, we will leave the last Alpha 7.6 on a separate Steam branch when we officially release Alpha 8.

P.P.S If you are using a custom config.yaml, we recommend removing it before you start Alpha EXP 8.0
================

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I tried this a long while ago and setting up a private game was a pain in the rear end. Has that changed?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Givin posted:

I tried this a long while ago and setting up a private game was a pain in the rear end. Has that changed?

I mostly play singleplayer, so I don't know specifically but from the wiki it seems pretty straight forward. There is a utility that does the work for you. It might be a bit more challenging to set up a server with the new experimental build 8 that was just released. There are lots of public servers available though:

https://empyrion.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I played this a lot over last Christmas on some pubbie server and it was really fun, it's probably the best minecraft building sim but in space I've seen so far, since Starmade um, well nevermind what happened there. New patch looks good, especially removal of the godforsaken red and green walls. I'll probably hold off at least until it leaves experimental though.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Servers are easy to run and are fairly light on resources. Setting up a co-op game between two clients is a pain in the rear end though. If you have an old second pc and it has at least 4Gb of ram your good to go. Just install the dedicated client from Steam, quit steam and then manually launch the EMP Admin Helper which is now distributed with the dedicated server (here is the about but it's all part of the distro now: https://eah.empyrion-homeworld.net/download ). Don't forget to open your ports on the firewall.

Been playing Alpha 8 and its way tougher. Cold and hunger be real! No need to go screwing around with YAML files in Alpha 8 they have a nice buggy editor which will randomly generate systems which you can then tweak. I like some of the changes a lot, others are confusing but still seems consistent. Getting stone in the early game seems unnecessarily hard, while getting ores has been made easier. The in suit crafter an the last resort tools are nice.

People I play with and against have a funny transition from getting hooked on multiplayer and then reverting to weeks on end of late night crafting in creative mode and then re-appearing with their blueprints and spawning the craziest poo poo. Then they watch it burn to the ground by some sperg lord with a ton of turrets on the front of what is essentially a shoe box or having their nice ship disintegrate in a maze of turret towers while raiding a base.

I keep to the rules we all learned in Eve: fly a poo poo can and have a bunch ready to spawn when it disintegrates. No one can fight against an enemy who is ready to respawn 20 times in a row and plans to keep doing it all day. But people keep thinking they can re-invent the can opener. I keep my pretty ships in the PVE sectors for show and tell.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Thanks for bumping the thread before it become lost to the void! I might check out that server. It would be good to get a Goonswarm together on one of these and do some epic space violence against the pubbies.

I'm this idiot: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RJR on steam. Shoot me an invite and I'll send you the discord channel for the server.

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 27, 2018

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I picked this up recently and have really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see what it eventually becomes. Good that there is a new update so I can start a new world. Last I was in it I had traveled to Oscutune and had some ship bigger than a drone sitting over my base raping me hard.
I tried making my own ships but I am no engineer. I use the https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1189694643 For driller. Its pretty handy.
On single player myself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bedevere posted:

Been playing Alpha 8 and its way tougher. Cold and hunger be real! No need to go screwing around with YAML files in Alpha 8 they have a nice buggy editor which will randomly generate systems which you can then tweak. I like some of the changes a lot, others are confusing but still seems consistent. Getting stone in the early game seems unnecessarily hard, while getting ores has been made easier. The in suit crafter an the last resort tools are nice.

That has been my experience so far as well. The "survival" game is a lot more harsh in this version, which I am really enjoying. You don't even start with an armor suit or jet pack any more, so you end up freezing to death when it rains or something.

I am with you on the "keep a supply of cheap ships". I always have a few of those ultra cheap SV space pods ready to spawn at a moments notice. I was stranded on a barren moon once after drones blew up my SV with no way home. The moon had iron, silicon, and promethium but no copper so I was pretty screwed as far as making a new ship. I had to use my motor bike to drive to the nearest alien base (before I ran out of air!) where I proceeded to strip it bare of components for any copper I could find.

Bedevere posted:

I'm this idiot: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RJR on steam. Shoot me an invite and I'll send you the discord channel for the server.

Done! Lets gank some pubbie scum :twisted:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Also, I find Spanjs videos to be fairly useful for things I didnt know, like building ships and whatnot.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OgNar posted:

Also, I find Spanjs videos to be fairly useful for things I didnt know, like building ships and whatnot.

Keep in mind, the game has changed a lot in version 8 so many tips might not apply any more. Especially anything to do with mining, that was completely changed.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Spanj has a very funny British attitude which makes him a good watch. His ship blows up, a spider eats him, then he falls to his death, and has a very frustrating experience.Yet he is all excited because he managed to get inside someone's base and saw their cargo boxes for .5 seconds.

Youtube channels about the game are a really specific group of people who seem to dig space survival games and are motivated more by their excitement of the game rather than seeking internet fame.

Lift Pizzas

Mr. Spicey

KnowitallDM

The devs have really watched what the PVPers do. I noticed that last update stations started having protection stations around it and a POI I did for the main quest had 4 support gun towers around it. It made it much harder, but the actual station was pretty nice and so I moved in.

Rutibex: I sent you a steam message with the discord channel. I might have to back out the Alpha 8 because the server destroys cored devices if you don't visit every 13 days I think. I'm kind of hoping he will go alpha 8 before that though.

Edited because Youtube and I have dumb url issues and this VVV

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 1, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Those youtube links are broken.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I tried some experimental 8. It's kinda funny that we've regressed out of Greek letters to show how unfinished stuff is, since Beta means finished product now. Anyways, a lot of the changes were fun and I was enjoying the storyline thing, but then on the return from my second trip to the moon (Didn't realize I'd need magnesium for rockets on the first trip) game crashed and corrupted my save. Guess I'll wait for the alpha.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

I tried some experimental 8. It's kinda funny that we've regressed out of Greek letters to show how unfinished stuff is, since Beta means finished product now. Anyways, a lot of the changes were fun and I was enjoying the storyline thing, but then on the return from my second trip to the moon (Didn't realize I'd need magnesium for rockets on the first trip) game crashed and corrupted my save. Guess I'll wait for the alpha.

I had a problem where all the items disappeared from my survival constructor when I picked it up. Experimental 8 is indeed quite experimental. Thats fine, I am happy to do some free bug testing to get the game up and running. There's plenty of console commands you can use to cheat your progress back :shrug:

Its no worse than playing with lovely community made minecraft mods :v:

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I figure I'm ok with the alpha issues if the devs are up front about whats going on.

My gaming friends are all nuts about Conan Exiles now. Funcom...The game still has some fundamental log in errors. They plan to release in 2 weeks, lol!

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I've only ever played this in Single Player and that was some time ago. I should check out the MP this time around.
Are public servers running experimental 8(successfully) or is it too buggy for now?

Goodchild fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 4, 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Goodchild posted:

I've only ever played this in Single Player and that was some time ago. I should check out the MP this time around.
Are public servers running experimental 8(successfully) or is it too buggy for now?

I'm sure someone is, but I wouldn't bother trying it personally. For now I'm just poking around in creative building a ship, I'll figure out where to go once alpha 8 comes out instead. Most servers are probably gonna reset when it does.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goodchild posted:

Experimental 8 is fairly buggy at the moment so it might be annoying to play on a server. If you get some sort of game ending bug you would not be able to use the console commands to recover your items. I'm sure server operators would be sympathetic if you send them a message, but nothing beats being able to recover your items yourself.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

This is a fun game and I used to fly with the (now dead) goon group at the later stages of its life. I will be waiting for .8 proper as I am hearing its suppose to drop in the next few weeks, and that would mean sever wipes.

For those wanting to jump in, It would be a good time to before it hits, .8 looks like a big one

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Part III is out! The change log is big enough to be divided into sections. I'm too lazy to read it all but getting excited for when it gets released in full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
For anyone playing 8.0 part III, there's a bit of a crazy item duplication / deletion bug that's been reported a bunch of times. To duplicate it:

quote:

Step 1: Put random stuff on your hotbar.
Step 2: Open the survival constructor GUI
Step 3: Move stuff from the hotbar to inventory or the constructor / vice versa
Step 4: Press Tab or whatever key 'inventory' is bound to
Step 5: Watch the hotbar contents get reset to how they were when you opened the survival constructor GUI

Pressing F closes the constructor GUI and keeps hotbar contents intact.
A bunch of poor souls have been dragging stuff to their hotbar and then using the inventory key and watching their stuff get deleted...

• Locked thread